Sutliff Tobacco Company Bosphorus Cruise

(3.56)
A Bosphorus Cruise enchantingly rewards with sights both numerous and wondrous, including six Ottoman palaces. Experience the breathtaking beauty of the old Byzantium Strait with Sutliff's impressive mixture of Oriental, latakia, and red Virginia.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.56 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 25 Reviews
Sep 07, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A well balanced mild to medium smooth English with every ingredient present in every puff. The Virginia offers a mild dark fruit tanginess and earth while serving as the base of the other components. The Orientals add a few spicy, woody, dry notes. The Cyprian latakia is smokey, woody sweet as the dominant tobacco, but it doesn't overpower the other elements. Has an extremely mild, sweet topping that doesn't detract from the tobaccos, and is barely noticeable. The nic-hit is just past mild. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, cool and clean with a consistent flavor. Requires few relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl as it easily burns to ash. Won't bite. Almost an all day smoke that has a pleasant after taste.

-JimInks
Mar 29, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I was recently gifted a tin of Bosphorous Cruise and found it to be quite good, right up there with Balkan Saseini and the new Balkan Sobraine. I would classify this as a Balkan rather than an English because of the orientals that are obviously present. I found it to be a nice medium weight with the orientals slightly forward of the red virginia most of the time and with the latakia hovering in the background. It was very smooth and a nicely balanced blend with all three coming forward at various times throughout the bowl and somewhat comlex. It is definitely not a lat bomb with just enough to make it interesting. Burned nice and cool with a nice fine gray ash to the bottom of the bowl. It has a nice tin note and nose while smoking. Can't determine room note since I only smoke outside. Highly recommended!
Pipe Used: GBD Billiard
PurchasedFrom: Received as a gift
Age When Smoked: New tin
Apr 29, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant
Blind test blend #2 - 5 bowls worth. Interesting looking with kind of a reddish hue to it. Bag aroma was of some of the juiciest orientals I've ever smelled. Almost made me want to eat it. But common sense came back and I fired it up. It leaned in the direction of "balkan" with the orientals out front and the latakia next in line. Tasted like mostly red virginia for the base.

The problem with this one was the flavor didn't match the aroma's power. I liked what flavor there was but it was just too faint, too bland. I'm not sure how they were able to make it smell so potent and taste so mild. I guess I conclude that it's more of a "beginners balkan" to start someone off slowly on their way to the pleasures that genre affords. I wasn't really aware that Sutliff made latakia blends, so I leaned more towards Peter Stokkebye, but wasn't really comfortable with that guess, either. This is a perfectly serviceable mild balkan but it failed to excite me. Worth a try if you're starting out with latakia and orientals or if you simply want a very laid-back version, perhaps for early mornings. No objective faults with this one - it just didn't have enough going on for my tastes.
Pipe Used: Meerschaum
Jun 26, 2014 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
What a sleeper blend this is! At my first light of Bosphorus Cruise I knew I had tasted something very similar before. It did not take long to recognize C&D's Star of the East taste profile here, but with considerably finer, more civilized behavior.

In short this blend is remarkably conceived and is every bit a quality product as anything from McClelland or C&D and certainly anything from STG.

Very similar components to SOTE in here: Red Virginia, Latakia, and other Orientals. The proportions are slightly different as is the Orientals used themselves. The SOTE has a kiss of Izmir where BC has a very well done blend of high quality Orientals in greater quantity. SOTE has 50% Latakia, BC less, but BC has more Orientals less Red Virginia. All in all, for me, where I can only handle a single bowl of SOTE in a day due to it's heaviness and very potent nicotine content (from it's greater VA content), I can smoke BC as an all day blend without fear of a nicotine haze or hiccups.

Like SOTE BC has a tasty aftertaste and a short finish, which is good.

I cannot fault this blend in any way except finding my tin to be dry, almost needing added moisture immediately. This makes me hesitant to stock in quantity unless I open and re-jar the whole lot.

I will definitely be ordering more; reloading it right now. Well done.

Easy 4 stars.
Pipe Used: Briars - large billiards
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Unknown
Mar 24, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a very pleasant medium/mild English blend. The components work well, and the foundation is a sweet red Virginia. I don't detect any topping. The tin note is slightly sour. The orientals and the latakia are nicely balanced and are always present but never the defining flavor. The bias is on the latakia end of things.

This blend is good but not astonishingly good. There are a lot of options in the "English" category, and competition is tough. The price point here is excellent, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in this genre. I am not likely to buy more, but if I got an 8 oz tin at Christmas, I would smoke it every day until it was gone.
Sep 04, 2015 Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable
A true sleeper for Sutliff. The is a well blended treat and if it had a small blender boutique label it would be the rave of the industry. As a best kept secret, this is a very good Balkan, Orientals forward and highest quality leaf throughout.

Unfortunately for me at least, Sutliff offers SO many blends in their classic tin, I get stymied by all of the variety!!

Save yourself some time as you are standing in front of the display at your local B&M trying to decide which of the dozens of Sutliff tins to try and pick up this one.
Pipe Used: Several
PurchasedFrom: Local Shop
Age When Smoked: 2 year old tin, newly opened
Aug 12, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
By now you are fully aware that this is a blend of oriental, latakia and red virginia, pretty much in that order and just as advertised on the tin. This blend begins oriental forward, thus making it a Balkan with the red virginia sweetness in lovely harmony, and the latakia way, way back. But as the bowl develops so does the strength, but never overpowering and with a changing interplay between these three very well chosen components. Sipping is recommended - not because of tongue bite - but more to get all the changing subtleties of this remarkable blend.

Yes, I know some have criticized the Bosphorus as "bland", but I suspect that observation comes from pipers who like their latakia forward English blends.. To me, the beauty of this blend is the superb balance and harmony. Oriental perfume, red virginia sweetness, and latakia smoky mild pepper with an occasional woodsy tobacco richness. At times merging into one another, but with each coming forward intermittently and with an exquisite oriental retrohale.

Smooth, balanced, dry and tasty. Nice. Actually a 3+...

Pipe Used: Cob
PurchasedFrom: Local
Age When Smoked: Unknown
Jan 27, 2012 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
As a relatively infrequent latakia smoker, I am really quite sensitive to its presence in most blends - a nice bonus as I really like it properly woven into the fabric of a well-executed blend. Such is the case with Bosphorus Cruise. Its presence is readily apparent (to my sensitive tastes) in the tin note and on the charring light. This is really my only significant point of divergence with the excellent review by pjorge1036. The spiciness of the oriental is also forward in the blend. Half way through the bowl the sweetness of the VA starts to chime in and from there to the finish line, there is a nice menage et trois between the constituents of this well- formed blend. For an inexpensive blend, the good quality of the tobacco is apparent. The appearance of the blend in the tin is impressive in its contrast. Room note is unobtrusive but not kudos-worthy. Nic content is acceptable for my insanely high requirement. All elements are detectable throughout the last half of the bowl but no one does the heavy lifting. All in all a nice, balanced and affordable blend. Recommended
Sep 02, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
A sleeper if ever there was one.

If you love English blends, you have to give this a spin.

Very nice lat, but what makes this is the interplay between the Virginias and the Orientals. They have got the balance so right that it does give it a Middle-Eastern spice feel to it, which matched with the forward lat is almost like Black House in some respects.

That is a good analogy, its 90% as good as Black House, for 30% of the price. I cannot remember how many times I have been standing in front of my cabinet about to pick an English to go out onto the deck on an Autumn evening, and this has been picked up ahead of some big name contenders.

High quality, smokes to a fine white ash, no bite, no drama, easy to clean after, sublime aftertaste. Any time someone asks what my sleeper blend is this is it. I have a stack of unopened cans, and am planning on mason jarring a stack of it.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.
Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney
PurchasedFrom: Cant remember
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Dec 04, 2017 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
I was really sad to see this one go. To my knowledge it was the only Sutliff product i ever repeat purchased, and now its out of production! Very sad. This was, i thought, my little secret. A richly beguiling little gem, the red va and lat in some proportion or of some variety that ive not found duplicated. If anyone knows of a similar blend id love to hear about it. It always delivered a cool, creamy, va sweet and heady smoke, i likened it to a cross between presbyterian and balkan sasieni. It was unique. I have a tin left; i was caught unawares when it was discontinued. From time to time i enjoy a bowl and become nostalgic for my pretty, cheap, little baby, taken too soon.
Pipe Used: Cobs
PurchasedFrom: Smokers Haven
Age When Smoked: New to 1 year
Aug 25, 2016 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I read sevral reviews which stated that this blend "reminded" od another blend, I will have to state the same, but for me it was McClelland 5110 Dark English Full (one of my favorites), both of which are more on the Oriental side to me as opposed to the English. Overall I would say this is an outstanding blend (a very pleasent surprise given the price) and that the next time I go to order something along these flavor lines it will probably be this blend.

Easy to pack (trickle method), easy to light, burns well, great flavor profiles with all components contributing and none overpowering, wonderful tickle to the nose when smoke is expelled through the nostrils, and the price is great.
Pipe Used: Ascorti
PurchasedFrom: Savanah Cigars
Age When Smoked: ?
Jun 15, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant
I agree with Mr. Piper: if Bosphorus Cruise carried any other name but Sutliff, it would be getting ecstatic rave reviews. It’s good. This is an Oriental-forward Balkan blend, very refined and balanced but with balls. The leaf quality is excellent. It ain’t a bland English, it’s a Balkan, and while the Lat is fine and a bit sweet, those needing an intravenous Lat fix would do better elsewhere. I get the Lat and Turks equally in the tin note, which is quite fine and bracing.

It is indeed a bit reminiscent of SOTE, but for my money, better and not as strong. My tin was 3 years old, which may have added considerably to the flavor and dampened the Lat profile a bit. Whatever -- it ages well.

This is a 4-star blend even if the price was double. But even though it’s only 1.5 oz, it is Sutliff-priced. Great all-day smoke. No annoying topping. Sweetish room note is wife-approved, and few are. Cellar it, boys and girls.
Age When Smoked: 3 yrs.
Mar 04, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
This Balkan surprises me every time I smoke it, and it shouldn't because I know it is good. This is an Oriental forward blend, but the Orientals here give this great mineral taste that I haven't tasted in other Balkans. The best thing that I can compare it to is Oban Scotch, if you've had this single malt and like the mineral taste, you will love Bosphorus Cruise. The Virginias are sweet, and there are times where I would swear that this blend had Cavendish in it. I'll get these rare little pops of cotton candy flavor, and though I cannot say what the room note smells like, it seems very sweet. The Latakia is mild, but it has that great kind of burnt, bitter taste that I love, very similar to Dunhill Standard Mixture. There are two final things that really push this blend over the top for me, the price is not bad, and the nicotine is not high. This could easily be an all day smoke, and is really a great value.
Pipe Used: MM Patriot, Kriswill Pot
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Jul 02, 2015 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I've often read reviews of English blends where the reviewer states that the tin aroma was that of a wood fire, but this is the first time and blend where I feel the statement actually applies. When I opened my tin of BC I thought that it had the aroma of a hardwood fire from later after the fire is smoldering. It just didn't seem quite right to me and I was suspicious that the wood fire odor had been "enhanced" somehow in processing. The mixture had an overall darker hue ranging from reddish brown to black and a rather even ribbon cut. The moisture level was such that you could load-up and smoke right away - so I did. The slightly acrid wood smoke odor in the tin was not really present in the smoking aroma and I was happy about that. From the initial light to the finish, it smoked in a normal and civilized medium English manner. Although a rather pleasant smoke, there was nothing that set it apart from the host of other medium Englishes that exist in a very crowded field. I've used it in micro blending and that has worked out fairly well; however, I like for my English base in a blend to have a tad more richness in the non-Latakia portion of it's base mixture - but, all in all, not a bad smoke and I can recommend it to other smokers.
Pipe Used: LX thick-walled Ashton Dublin Brindle
PurchasedFrom: pipes and cigars
Age When Smoked: current
CTS
Jan 09, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A bit more Latakia and Oriental forward than Berkshire. Good components and blending, without the annoying topping. Burns smooth and cool. Once into the bowl, the Virginia sweetness comes out a bit more, helping round out the overall flavor profile. Very good blend. 3+.
Pipe Used: Willmer 35+ years old, MM
PurchasedFrom: CI
Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.
Jan 08, 2012 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
At first I found the blend to be lacking flavor and punch. For the first minute of the smoke I couldn't even feel the presence of the Latakia.

After that this started to change slowly and I started picking up some of the smokiness and even a subtle leathery flavor associated with Latakia. At this point the spicy orientals also started letting their presence be known but it wasn't until I was halfway through the bowl that the big changes came. That's when all the flavors started to concentrate and develop a little complexity.

Earthy, smoky and peppery this turned out to be a satisfying smoke although, it took a while to get there. Definitely not the best in its class but a good smoke for the price.
Mar 02, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
If you see it buy it! One of the best Balkans I've ever smoked. Plain and simple. The marriage of flavors in this blend is just a treat . Bring it back Sutcliffe!!!
Pipe Used: Custombilt saddle grain
PurchasedFrom: Pop shop Niles Mi.
Aug 25, 2016 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Pipe Used: Ascorti
PurchasedFrom: Savanah Cigars
Age When Smoked: ?
Sep 05, 2013 Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant
I love Bosphorus Cruise. It has a unique character. It was one of my first tobaccos I bought, and just recently found a tin at a cigar shop, I unhesitatingly leapt for it. This is like gold to me, I think we should all have a tobacco like that. Upon comparing it with some Frog Mortons, they are very similar in tin aroma. But upon smoking it, they don't compare at all, they are both very different. I recommend giving Bosphorus Cruise a try. It's one thing to read reviews but it's another to try it for yourself. Something that received negative reviews might turn out to be your favorite tobacco if you just try it, and vice versa. Something that received high praise might not be that good to you. So strike me a match and let's go pipes a blazin!
May 27, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Wow! Bought on a whim, I liked the packaging and it had everything I like. It lights easy and has a full flavor, it holds it's flavor through the bowl. Smokes dry with a nice gray ash, liked it so much I bought six tins to age for awhile. Excellent

target="_blank"