Cornell & Diehl Crooner

(2.71)
A specially cut, cube-style burley and deer tongue tobacco, Cornell & Diehl's Crooner is an authentic copy of Bing Crosby's private blend, shared with C&D by one of his closest friends.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.71 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 91 - 100 of 120 Reviews
Mar 03, 2007 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
Crooner could never be a regular in my rotation, but I do occasionally want a bowl of it. It's a simple tobacco with a very unique taste...it is what it is. Bing Crosby may have smoked this a lot, but for me it's an occasional treat and nothing more.

Deer tongue has a very distinctive aroma and flavor. My vocabulary skills aren't up to the task of describing it, save to say that it's "deer-tongue flavored". Generally I stay with unflavored tobaccos, excepting Mac Baren Navy Flake and Crooner.

Cubes of burley and green deer tongue; Crooner is a visually simple blend. It packs simply enough, although there's not much "packing" involved. Fill up a bow, press it down with a firm hand, and then sprinklesome slightly rubbed out Crooner on top...that's about it.

My orders of crooner have always arrived at a moisture level that's appropriate for smoking. It lights easily and rarely requires a relight. The Burley is top quality. (I have no idea what the quality of the deer tongue is as it's the only deer tongue I've ever seen. However, considering the high quality of the ingredients in every other C&D blend that I've smoked, I believe it's safe to assume that the deer tongue is high quality stuff as well.)

The nuttiness of the burly comes on first, but the deer tongue catches up quickly. The rest of the bowl shows little change for me, as the burley and deer tongue simply burn and give up nothing throughout the bowl.

This blend always smokes to a fine gray ash. The end of the bowl is little changed from the entire experience.

In the end, Crooner is a mixture of Burley and deer tongue. Nothing sophisticated, nothing challenging, no nuance to mention. The fundamental issue for any smoker will be, "Do I like the taste of deer tongue?" If you do, then this blend could easily find a place in your rotation. If not, then there's little point in ever trying a second bowl.

I smoke Crooner occasionally, but others with whom I've talked are split on their reaction to it. Some are like me, keeping it around as a nice change of pace on occasion. Others detest it, having emptied out their first and only bowl.

If you don't know whether or not deer tongue is something you'd like to try, get a sample bowl from a friend or a local shop. You'll know quickly if this is a taste for you. I have to knock my rating to 2 stars, given that many people simply detest this blend.
Nov 06, 2006 Mild Strong Medium Tolerable
The Burley cube cut from C&D is first rate. The Deers Tongue, Latin Name "Liatris Odoratissima", has a herbal vanilla fragrance. It is fair to note to the readers (as they have a right to know) that the Deers Tongue possesses a TOXIC white crystalline Lactone, C9H6O2, which in adequate doses, is diaphoretic (increases perspiration), is an anticoagulant(stops blood from clotting), diuretic, and antipyretic (reduces fever). The herb has medicinal properties, obviously, but as a stedfast purist, when it comes to tobacco products--I enjoy 100% tobacco. The Deers Tongue, in no way should be confused with "vanilla leaf", because there IS NO SUCH THING AS VANILLA LEAF. The Vanilla essence used to flavor and fragrance tobacco is derived from the Vanilla "bean" from the orchid flower that grows in tropical areas of the world. The essence is from an alcohol decoction of the vanilla bean. Some believe the best vanilla comes from Madagascar. Deers Tongue is different than vanilla. I really don't care what Mr. Bing Crosby smoked, nor do I wish to emulate what he did with his blending. I like my tobacco to be 100% tobacco, and the addition of Deers Tongue in a superior quality Burley from Cornell & Diehl is a pathetic adulteration of a great Burley Cube cut.
Sep 01, 2004 Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable
I usually give a tobacco more than one test before writing a review. With Bings' blend (Did he really smoke something like this?) I don't have the guts for a rematch! The tobacco might be great but the Deer tongue is pretty bad! By the way, if you are a glutton for punishment and have to see what Bing was up to, my advise is smoke it in something disposable!
Apr 09, 2024 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
What a pleasant surprise!

This was my first deer tongue tobacco, which is of little shock for a guy who's only been smoking for less than 1 year. I did not want to waste the full cost of a 2 oz. tin, so my friend and I split a tin. In retrospect, we BOTH should have purchased a tin a piece because we quite enjoyed the smoke immensely. Before I could buy the only remaining tin, my buddy quickly gobbled it up.

The fine cube cut had me worried about packing it too tightly, but it packed up nicely. The initial aroma from the tin was off Cinnamon Life cereal topped with vanilla extract. The charring light pillowed up quickly, so DO NOT pack to the very top of the bowl so as to not overfill during the char. A handful of relights, but otherwise smoked quite smoothly. The nic-hit stayed pretty medium throughout, but became a touch stronger near the finish. The smoke had the pleasant aroma of cinnamon, but only a hint of vanilla. The taste was a very burley forward, nutty flavor. No real tongue-bite to speak of.

My tobacco shop already has ordered a few more tins for my friend and I. I will keep this in my rotation as an early morning smoke accompanied by a strong cup of coffee. I recommend giving it a try!

Pipe Used: Rubino Full bent billiard
PurchasedFrom: Superior Smoke Shoppe
Age When Smoked: A few months
Jan 27, 2022 Strong Strong Full Pleasant
The review immediately preceding this one (chronologically, at least) calls it "The American Cousin of 1792 Flake", and backs that claim up quite well. Is it the same? No; I think I prefer Crooner, truth to tell. Not for least of which reasons the fact that it is quite readily available Stateside, while 1792 is harder to find than spring morels in a drought year. In my opinion, Crooner is also less temperamental to smoke, needing zero dry time and less attention paid to cadence. The rooms note is also more broadly favorable; while my wife doesn't mind 1792, she adores Crooner. 1792 might have a slight edge in terms of strength, but it's almost splitting hairs; would you rather be clocked with a 10-pound sledgehammer or a 9-pounder? In either case, best to brace yourself. I'm both cases, the flavoring is a love/hate affair; it's a bit odd, but it's something that I -personally- crave. I'd say that they are cousins in the same sense that American and British "Roast Beef Dinners" are cousins. They fill similar functions, while being almost wholly distinct from one another. Crooner is a bit more rustic and brash, but it satisfies the same cravings just as well as it's upper-crust cousin from Across the Pond. Perhaps it's my last crumbs of Yankee Doodle pride, but I- for one- will be cellaring this in bulk.
Pipe Used: Charatan Brandy, Pipo
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
May 13, 2020 Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Vanilla and nutty burley flavors. The burley is harsh and the deer tongue seemed to irritating to my palette.. Would not recommend. One half of a star. On par with half and half.
Pipe Used: Falcon, and bent Rhodesian
PurchasedFrom: Local B&M
Age When Smoked: From the bulk bin.........???
Nov 01, 2016 Overwhelming Extra Strong Full Pleasant
I have just started to explore different casing ,and additives,. Deer tongue, and tonquin ect. I thought crooner it be a place to start,deer tongue has been use as a herbal medicine so I figured what the hell

Although deer tongue was interesting Crooner in my opinion had way to much, I used LL Dark Red too cut the harshness. It worked like a gem. Now the deer tongue is pleasant and enjoyable.The burley was earthly and ful of flavor. Did not notice any tongue burn ,lights easy, had to tend up more so than other tobacco

Way to harsh without cutting so I am going 2.5 stars.
Pipe Used: Small briars
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Oct 25, 2016 Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong
This was the first deer tongue I had ever smoked, wow was it ever strong,I had to cut with some LL Dark red. It did the trick, use 4oz. To a pound

After the cut I found smokable,enjoyable . Also found if pipe cleaner is left in while packing cuts out cubes from jamming.

Burley's are delicious, Virginia 's hard to distinguish and deer tongue always present.Will not buy crooner again, just a lot of work for a fast burnig Tobacco that's not to say it is a bad blend just way to much deer tongue for my liking.
Pipe Used: Briars
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Aug 04, 2013 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant
It has been many years since I have smoked this blend. Originally I thought it to be an aromatic, and as an aromatic smoker at that time, I happily puffed away at it. It's potency soon became apparent. It is not a potent mixture by English standards, but certainly by aromatic standards. I remember it having the scent and flavor of raisins. It was quite enjoyable.
ven
Jul 25, 2013 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
In a word, "Yuck!" Not to diss deer tongue nor burley, nor even cube cut, but this stuff is gross. I wouldn't give this to the meanest one-eyed junkyard dog, even if he bit me! You are much better off with 4noggins' Imagine, by a long shot. This Crooner, though - nasty, nasty stuff. Be warned. Made me want a codger OTC, man. Anything! Not worth your money. Didn't even finish a third of a bowl, and I can dig sock-em tobacco. Too aggressive and just not right, man. Felt like a baby dragon was trying to poop in my mouth! Fortunately I had the good sense to dump it early, and smoke a bowl of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard instead. You take the quality of the great ones for granted until they come to save the day!! Thank goodness I had the hero on hand. Don't spend your money on Crooner - not even as a novelty or curiosity. You will regret it. Blech! (I am going to try a little for mixing, and see how that works. I really hate to waste a full bag. Perhaps it works better in a blend...but straightforward, no.) UPDATE: Terrible for mixing. Overpowers everything.
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins