Cornell & Diehl Da Vinci

(3.07)
Named for the famed Renaissance man of letters, arts, and science, this blend evokes the Near Eastern influence that trade brought to the docks of Renaissance ports. The base of light Virginias and burley is overwhelmed by the smoky pungent aroma of Cyprian latakia. This is the perfect blend for the true lover of latakia, but be forewarned, this blend is not for everyone. Additionally, because of the high latakia content (Boasting no less than 75% latakia) and slow-burning nature of Da Vinci, it would be a very good blend to break a pipe in with.
Notes: Mid 90's tin from the garage operation in Morganton NC sates: "A blend of specially selected and aged Latakia, rough cut Burley and bright Virginia flake. Heavy in Latakia."

Details

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong
Tolerable to Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste
Full

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.07 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 40 of 60 Reviews
Jan 19, 2005 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
My favorite C&D blend so far. The consistently off-putting thing about C&D?s blends, though, is the massive amount of tobacco ?dust? or finely ground tobacco. I realized this morning as I packed my bowl with DaVinci that the tobacco literally had the consistency of dirt. Sure, it tastes great, but it doesn?t have the look and feel of a high-quality blend. Despite its fine taste, it?s hard to enjoy a blend when you spend the first third of the bowl sucking in little specks of tobacco. Admittedly, I don?t know much about the intricacies of tobacco blending, but I wouldn?t have thought that a mortar and pestle would be involved. Anyway, a great tasting blend, but it loses points for its physical characteristics.

I?ll say this for the blend, it burns extremely dry and smooth all the way down, rarely requiring a relight.
Sep 13, 2004 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong
Practically a softer and already rubbed out version of Pirate Kake. It smokes wonderfully, with an incredibly intense taste: latakia is clearly the main character, but nutty burley plays a significant role too. Of course it doesn't feel as "full" and sweet as some more typical English tobacco, due to the lack of orientals and a light hand with the Virginias: it's just a spice feast. Tasty but doesn't calm the appetite, not "meaty" enough or complex at all. The Latakia is clearly similar to the leaf used in some GLPease blends, as it has quite a similar taste. Very good, anyway! Minor complaint: too much fine tobacco dust in the tin!
Sep 09, 2003 Medium None Detected Very Full Strong
Another interesting product from Cornell and Diehl.C and D is one of the most innovative blenders in a market that is often driven by tradition. The krumble-kake koncept they are famous for is a good example.("...overwhelmed by the smoky pungent aroma of Cyprian Latakia"- it almost sounds too derogatory to put on your label!) .

So... I had high expectations DaVinci. Now let me say right up front that I like this tobacco, even though it had a few strikes against it. First off, the tobacco in my tin was too @#%& dry, even by C and D standards! Bone dry! Dry as the death of a sponge. This of course could be remedied. It was also in poor condition consistency-wise, however. Tiny pieces of ribbon and lots of powder. Seems like it was the very bottom dregs of the batch, 'cause no one would purposely sell tobacco in this condition intentionally. This being one of my first experiences with C and D I was quite disappointed. (In retrospect, I guess the consistency is what you would get if you over rubbed-out something like Pirate Kake.)

So I put a little unsweetened burley cav. in the bottom of the bowl to keep the crumbs out of my mouth, filled up a half bowl and lit her up. Surprise, this stuff tastes good: "The perfect blend for the true lover of Latakia". Well not perfect, but definitely a good latakia fix. I would say that the burley is of fairly high proportion in this blend (C and D love their burley blends, don't they), making this an atypical "english-style" smoke. All the component tobaccos made their presence known as the bowl smoked down, with a little sweetness from the Virginias poking through from time to time

Though I had rehydrated it a bit, it was still quite dry, which seemed to work OK. The dry powdery texture was easy to light and burned fast, giving amazing clouds of lat-heavy smoke. I kind of enjoy that. A real "mouth-feel" to the dense smoke. It is no Pirate Kake, mind you, but still good stuff.

One interesting feature of the tobacco IMHO is the immediate and short-lived ammonia-like aftertaste this tobacco has near the bottom half of the bowl. I am struck by this every time I smoke it. Not too bad,just weird.

In my book this is a "niche" latakia blend that has me coming back for more when I am in the mood. Sure hope my next tin is in better condition...
Jul 03, 2003 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
This is definitely a unique blend. The burley is not in cube form as I am used to but all 3 tobacs are in a medium/short ribbon cut. The moisture upon opening is perfect. The aroma in the tin is delicious with the latakia making its prescence known. I tried half a tin of this in a Radice classic poker (not all at once, of course). The taste upon first light is of the burley grassiness with the brightness following but after the second light, the latakia harmonizes nicely. What I like most about this blend is how it develops as you smoke it down the bowl. The nuttiness of the burley with the smoky sweetness of the latakia and the brightness of the virginia make for a truly exotic journey for the tongue. Speaking of which, there is no tongue bite in this blend and as advertised,it smokes slowly. This is marketed as a vintage blend and if this is what the old-timers smoked, I think I was born in the wrong era. This is truly a great unique blend. Highly recomended......... Update 07-03-03: This blend is not to be confused with Dan Tobacco's Da Vinci which IMO is an aromatic abomination.This blend is very full flavored, I liken it to a "maduro" wrapped cigar. It leaves a fluffy grey ash when finished, but be warned,this is for latakia lovers only......
Jun 04, 2020 Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable
This is truly a masterpiece by Cornell and Diehl. The cut is the usually fine ribbon typical of the house. Lots of Latakia to enjoy. Lights well, burns well, and it's not overpowering or too strong, neither. Tin art is superb, as usual! Not to be confused with the same tobacco from Dan Tobacco, which is an aromatic.
Pipe Used: Peterson, Dunhill, Charatan
PurchasedFrom: SmokingPipes.com
Age When Smoked: 6-12 months
PJP
Nov 22, 2017 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I think the blend contains too much burley at the expense of the Virginia. I smoked a can of this over ten years ago and it was memorably good. This second can is a disappointment, though well aged. I think C & D tends to rely too much on burley.
Pipe Used: Various briars
PurchasedFrom: Chicagoland Pipe Show
Jan 27, 2014 Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming
What a wonderful blend. I ordered Da Vinci on a whim. I was expecting the 75% Latakia blend to be a bit of a gimmick but I was pleasantly proven otherwise. What a splendid example of what Latakia is capable of. Smokey, smooth relaxing blend sure to invoke deep thoughts. The perfect blend for those time you just want to be alone with your thoughts. The tobacco burns slow, even and produces thick, milky smoke. The flavor is also of the highest caliber. Bold, smokey with just enough Virginia to add a sweet undertone to this bold lakakia blend.
Pipe Used: Nording bent billiard
PurchasedFrom: pipesandcigars.com
Apr 09, 2012 Medium Strong Extra Full Extra Strong
That's what I call tobacco for a real man! It reminds me of Pirate Kake, but mor like its "younger brother". It has the same ingredients as P.K., but I find it a little milder. Recommendation: A word of advice: avoid smoking it in the presence of your wife, keep it for men's company!
Mar 20, 2012 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
As others have mentioned this is the poster child for "lat-bombs." But there's no attempt to hide it, it says right on the tin: "Heavy Latakia" (I read somewhere that it's 75% latakia). So if that isn't your thing, move along.

There are flakes of virginia and burley mixed in but you'll never taste them in the smoke. The lat flavor is in full force here and the virginia serves only to "take the edge off" so to speak from the latakia overload.

In conclusion I would say that, while I enjoyed this blend myself and if your a lat lover consider this 4 stars. If not, look elsewhere. And of course, pipe beginners need not apply. There really isn't any middle ground with this blend.
Mar 19, 2012 Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong
I am a true lover of Latakia, but this was the first Latakia blend I could not finish smoking. It truly tastes like you are smoking straight Latakia, and overwhelms you with the taste of burning tires. About the only thing I would do with this is use it to add some Latakia punch to one of my "house" blends in the event I ever run out of my straight Latakia.
Jun 05, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
A sample from 2000, sent to me by a fellow smoker, that has dried out and in part turned to dust. Despite this, it is still perfectly smokeable if care is taken in packing to not begin loading the pipe with the dustiest of the dust, and to not puff too enthusiastically. Most of the dust is of Latakia, though the same could be said of this blend in general! Another Latakia Bomb from C&D, like Pirate Kake. I would be more likely to buy Pirate Kake (though not for a while, since I have 8 oz. and won't smoke it often) just because I love the fun of working with a Krumble Kake, but for those who prefer their Latakia Bombs in a less esoteric form, this will do nicely. I can't say much more, except that this is for the Latakia lover and those like me who, though I prefer Virginias and VAPERS for everyday, like the occasional Latakia mainline. There is some burley in here, they tell me. Who would know?

Warning: the above review contains two split infinitives.
Feb 04, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
Please let me begin by saying - I am a self-confessed Latakia addict!!

Wow Wow Wow!!!!

This fantastic creation is full of the beautiful black stuff my whole being cries out for. Its Latakia all the way!! If you dont like Latakia then please dont buy this!! I love it!!
Jul 31, 2010 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant
another beautifull journey, smoking that tobacco, hight quality, nice taste.
Jan 15, 2009 Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Strong
Ok, I just deleted my original review of Da Vinci because I was way off. When I wrote it I had just received a can of it and went right to town on it and didn't really give it much of a chance. I put the can in one of my kitchen drawers and forgot about it until I found it about 4 months later and gave it another shot. I don't know if aging has anything to do with it or if I've gotten better at smoking pipe but this is great stuff. I'm a full flavor kinda guy and this stuff knocked me for a loop. The first time I smoked it I compared the flavor and aroma to that of a camp fire. I have to admit I was taking pretty big puffs which was a HUGE mistake. This time I took my time and really got lost into the whole smoke. I found the flavor more complex. I noticed a really woodsy smoke smell which turned into a sweet taste and aroma. It burned really cool and slow and the flavor was excellent to the end. I was getting ready to give up on Latakia after my first experience with Da Vinci but now I'm a changed man and I suppose second chances do pay off. I have to say I've found this very addictive and it's hard for me not to smoke it all the time but it overwhelms the pallet and so I save it for my last smoke of the day.
Dec 07, 2007 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I will preface this review by saying that I normally smoke English tobaccos with a heavy latakia content and that this is my first premium blend to contain burley (although I have been smoking for several years).

This is a great smoky tobacco with zero bite, zero nicotine kick and zero drawbacks. I have finished 100g's of this blend recently and plan to make this my new all day smoke. Da Vinci burns clean and dry. I does not even leave a bad taste in my mouth afterwards (something new for someone smoking Nightcap for years).

Da Vinci does burn rather slow and cool making it a perfect tobacco, like the advert says, to break in a new pipe with. I am new to C&D blends but if they all smoke this good then I look forward to sampling many of their other blends.

If you like a big, white cloud filled smoke with the sweet nutty flavour of burley then give this blend a go.

Tim
Oct 24, 2007 Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Very Strong
Holy crap, this is great! Electric tobacco, shiver your timbers for sure.

A new smoker, I was afraid of this blend. Latakia? 965 was shit -- mixing it now with Devil's Holiday, a pain to smoke and get rid of.

I bought Da Vinci to break in some pipes, and why not? Supposedly good for it, they say. I was expecting a chore. Two half-pipes later I'm hooked -- can someone provide this in bulk?

Wow!
Dec 01, 2006 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I had high expectations of this blend, being a Latakia lover. However, I found it rather dissapointing. It is not as rich as the Dunhill blends I am best aquainted with, despite its high Latakia content, nor does it have any of their balance. While blends like 965 and Nightcap blend harmoniously to produce a truly majestic smoke, this mixture seems rather discordant.

I suspect that Latakia needs to be supported by the musty Orientals to bring out the best flavour in it. This blend contains Burley, which does not seem to add anything. I presume the reason for adding it was to cool the smoke and prevent bite. But Latakia smokes cool and does not bite. Latakia is spice, and without the correct tobaccos to support it, it has no backbone, no body.

I was also dissappointed by the preparation. Moisture content has remained ideal, despite the unusual tin, but the tobacco has crumbled to a very fine consistency. When I first got it, it was cut too wide, and was a pain in the neck to light, and kept going out. However, its now mostly dust, and burns a little too fast..

The tin is like a cat food tin, which was quite a novelty at first, but it's annoying having to watch the sharp edges inside the top of it when taking tobacco out.

However, it is quite a pleasant smoke, and easy to puff away at when I'm at the pub with friends, I'll use it up there, and afterwards, will know better how to appreciate the magnificent Nightcap!
Aug 10, 2006 Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Strong
[This review was originally written on 25 November 2005. One slight change was needed (reason for the update).] Cornell & Diehl products have always stuck me as inferior. Perhaps it is the name that they give many of their blends or the art that is chosen for their tins that has caused me to feel this way. [...] Whatever it is, I have not tried any Cornell & Diehl tobacco blends until daVINCI. Regardless of what I have just written, the name is good and the tin art is uncharacteristically splendid (even if the lid does not bloody fit). Equally surprising, I like this tobacco for its flavour. With an abundance of Latakia it is shocking that this weed is so mild, nevertheless. I would have preferred what I expected from a blend that boasts 75% Latakia--something stronger. It has such wonderful flavour, however. Visually, it is lacking. It looks like tobacco scraps, choppy little pieces, and does not pack well as a result. The roomnote is dreadful--like a mixture of sweat, liquor breath of an alcoholic, and stale cigarettes. (Hmm, I suppose that particular pong is akin to a busy pub the morning after.) I am going to try some more Cornell & Diehl blends in the future (if only because I already have purchased multiple tins), but I will not be able to purchase this again even if the mild flavour is fantastic. The flavour does not outweigh the weed's other problematic issues.
Mar 13, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong
I have changed my opinion on this blend. It really is sorta,kinda,maybe tasty for the Latakia lover. It does however have a noxious odor,uh, I mean aroma. C&D has many other better offerings. Their best Latakia Mix in my Opinion is the 5 star Strathspey. This Davinci will help you lose friends and not influence people. Take a pass.
Jan 31, 2006 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
The sample I was gifted was dry which prompted me to slowly smoke this blend - a tactic that payed off in a very high quality experience. The treatment of the Virginia and Burley leaf is a careful composition for the background influence of a rather mild latakia. A tawny visual presentation of browns and near black shades hint at the artful product of a skilled blender's hand. This smoke should be good indoors or outside as there are no nuances that need attention but instead a tour de force of full flavor. Not an everday smoke, it provides diversion to those seeking a full bodied evening's entertainment. This is not a blend for the novice, but instead a blend with swagger to capture attention from beginning to end.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a CAO Dunhill Man Pasha