Darkwood Scenery - Do aromatics always have to be overly sweet and fruity? I don't think so and that's why I took new paths with Darkwood Scenery. The medium strength tobacco base consists of Virginias, Orientals, some black cavendish and a nice, bold burley. Flavored with licorice, cloves (dianthus), black pepper, sandalwood and a hint of a fruit component. A combination of aromas that reminds of old day blends, but is modernly interpreted with the Darkwood Scenery. He spoils with a spicy, but also sweet aroma from the first to the last puff.

Notes: Flavorings: Licorice, cloves (dianthus), black pepper, sandalwood, fruit essences. Released at Lohmar Pipe Show 2018

BrandHU Tobacco
Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
3.7
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tangy dark fruity, tangy and tart citrusy, earthy, grassy Virginias form the case of the blend, but are not the major component regarding their effect on the blend. The boldly earthy, woody, mildly nutty, dry burley is a little more noticeable. The floral, herbal, dry and lightly buttery sweet, woody, earthy, lightly spicy Orientals seems to take the lead over the other varietals. The sugary, toasty black cavendish is in the background. The toppings are the stars here, and fairly sublimate the tobaccos. The deep licorice and cloves are the lead toppings in that order. The sandalwood is soft, smooth, creamy, woody and floral in support of the other toppings. The black pepper is a condiment. The mildly, citrusy fruity addition is mildly obvious. The strength is medium, while the taste level is in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. Won’t bite, but the spice may tingle the tongue of a fast puffer. Burns slightly warm and clean at a reasonable pace with a rich, very nuanced, complex sweet and savory floral, spicy flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste, and the room note is a little stronger. Not an all day smoke.

-JimInks

McWoodstick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McWoodstick (1)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

I'm not an expert at evaluating tobacco. That's why I've been reluctant to write a review so far. As a lover of natural tobaccos, i.e. without aroma, the HU Tobaccos have completely taught me another thing! I am completely enthusiastic and therefore I would like to join the review of Jimlnks in the case of the Darkwood Scenery and fully affirm this. Four stars in every respect!

Pipe Used: Dunhill Tanshell 38 F/T Made in England9 (1969)

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (322)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Damn.. this one struck me by surprise! A great smoke! I was expecting a heavily flavored, straight-up Aromatic... what I got is a "good ol' times blend" in the very same vein as Peterson's 3Ps, University Flake or Erinmore Flake! I wouldn't categorize this as an 'Aromatic', but as a 'Burley Based' blend, just as 3Ps, UF and Erinmore are!

Great tin-note, very christmas-ish like "spice nuts" (Pfeffernüsse in German), exotic fruits, floral notes and spices. Very intense, very rich and delicate, as it reminds a lot of christmas and the colder months of the year.

The tobacco is quite dark in color and to my surprise you'll notice the tobacco in every puff of the bowl! Very diverse and quite complex in flavors, the natural tobacco aroma makes for a great foundation for the flavorings to shine on. Burley is the most obvious tobacco to me, earthy, nutty, full-bodied. I also get some slight ethereal notes from the Turkish and a rich earthy-spice from the tobaccos is present all the way. The tobacco flavor is full-bodied and "thick", as in Peterons 3Ps or University Flake. Stout tobacco, with a most delicate flavoring on top.

The flavoring is hard to describe, it's very unique and strong in character! Christmas-y aroma, with mild fruit notes, (christmas) spices and floral tones. The 'spice nuts' aroma is also to be found in the smoke, which I love! You'd expect this to be a "winter season blend", but somehow it pleased me a lot in those summerdays with 30°C temperatures! It takes you into a winter-wonderland, with all those tasty christmas cookies and specialities... winter flowers... sitting at the table with the family...

A great blend and I won't get tired to repeat: Whoever love blends such as 3Ps, University Flake or Erinmore (Flake) will most certainly also love this blend! 3,5-stars from me, as I smoke blends like these only 1-2 times a week and I feel its one of those "hate it or love it blends", but Darkwood Scenery will make it into my rotation, for sure, making a great extension to my 3Ps, University and Erinmore Flake! I'll round it up to the whole 4-stars, as I feel it's worthy to get them!

Edit: For the german-readers, we have a "Tobacco testing club" going on and just recently reviewed this blend as a group! It got 3,2 out of 5 stars, but read for yourself, if you're intersted: http://www.pipe-dreams.de/t12287f283-Das-grosse-Tabak-Taschenbuch.html