Mac Baren Capstan Original Navy Cut

(3.41)
This blend is a composition of select, ripe Virginia tobaccos whose citrus and grassy notes go brilliantly with the natural sweetness. A must try for everyone who appreciates a good, straightforward Virginia blend.
Notes: Originally produced by W.D. and H.O. Wills, now re-released by MacBaren. According to the Tolkien estate, this was J.R.R. Tolkien's favorite tobacco.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.41 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 211 - 216 of 216 Reviews
Mar 28, 2007 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
UPDATE: i've been informed on smokersforums.com that this blend does not contain burley. quite surprising, really! END UPDATE

of course, this is not quite the tobacco it used to be in the days when it was made by will's, and neither is it as good as when it was made by imperial. some 20 years ago it used to be almost full strength, fig-smelling, dark brown, sour-nutty-sweet. now it's mild-medium, citrusy, medium brown, with no sourness and some nutty sweetness. but still, it is a decent enough virginia tobacco (with a touch of burley), considering that it's made in denmark by orlik.
Dec 03, 2006 Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
In choosing which Straight Virginia I would take to the proverbial desert island, I would be torn between this one and Sam Gawiths FVF. This is a wonderful Virginia flake, with beautuful presentation. One of the few flakes I can smoke a little moist without any bite. A sweet grassy/hay flavor which is nothing short of delightful. Flavor intensifies a bit as it goes down, but never bitter. Nicotine is satisfing....I love to take this flake in a bulldog for long walks as it takes very little attenton- It just gives good flavor..... Well recomended. Only 3 stars as its hard to get being only sold in the EU.
Oct 01, 2006 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've been smoking a tin of Capstan Navy Flake (at least I think it's the same stuff) by Imperial that is made in Denmark but now comes in a blue tin that I bought in Barcelona in one of the ubiquitous TABAC stores.

Not a complicated tobacco, but an honest, high quality, medium Virginia flake. It is a bit damp in the tin but smokes sweet with little residue even in that condition.
Aug 09, 2004 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
God, do I miss this stuff. It's far from the best flake I've encountered, but it's just so damned yummy. Dunhill's Light Flake looks like it, but lacks the sweet, zippy taste. My substitute du jour for this legendary blend is Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug. It's a most worthy alternative that is perhaps even better qualitatively, but this 8yo tin of Capstan I'm sampling is awfully hard to beat.

Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon.........
Jul 12, 2004 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The tin is actually blue of this Capstan Medium. It is a lovely blend of Virginia tobacco. It has a longstanding reputation and is favored by many a pipe lover as noted from the reviews above. I have tried only 1 bowl so far and feel compelled to write a review even though I cannot say very much about it. It was a little hard to get going after several lights. Lovely flavor and will continue smoking this until my tin is used up. Which means I like the stuff although my socks are still on my feet. I will return to update later. ****update**** It is now about 3 weeks since the above review and I have not changed my opinion. It is a very good virginia blend and is growing on me. I seem to enjoy it mostly in the morning with some espresso. Because of the nature and cost to procure this tobacco I will not likely purchase any more, however.It is not available in the US of A.
Dec 11, 2003 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Ok, I lied I don't smoke this everyday,BECAUSE IT'S NOT SOLD IN THE U.S. ANYMORE! @^%&(*&^&%#$ Please, please bring this back to the U.S. and quit punishing us inocent pipe smokers. This (IMO) is the worlds best Virginia flake. I know there are lots of Virginia flake adicts who would agree. Mild,wonderful Virginia, cut into long rectangular strips, and naturaly sweet.Burns so good and long,and tastes oh so good...Please bring this back to the United States.

target="_blank"