Notes: The Peterson Aran is a new delicate mixture comprised of ripe Virginia and mild black cavendish tobaccos. A top flavor of vanilla and blossom notes are expertly combined to reveal a fresh, aromatic pipe tobacco.

BrandPeterson
2.3
Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This comes in a pouch. Upon opening the pouch I was greeted with the old fashioned aroma of good old fashioned tobacco. Smelled like my grandfathers Half & Half I used sneak sniffs of from his pouch when I was a whipper snapper. The cut is a combination of ribbon and flakes. And the moisture level was just right. Not to damp...not to dry. I think if it was any drier it would burn hot and taste harsh. Packed well and only needed the charring light and it stayed lit. It is burning very well. I am enjoying a bowl as I write this. It has a nice medium to full bodied taste. It gives a bit of a tang to the tongue but it doesn't bite or burn. As I mentioned previously, I think it might if it gets to dried out. If you inhale it is smooth on the throat. Nice spicy tingle to the nostrils when released through the nose. Although it does not state that there is any spice in the blend...it tastes like there is. I taste a tiny hint of vanilla. Nothing flowery but something I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps a hint of orange. It is faint...but just noticeable enough to add a plus to the taste. Nice taste on the tongue. And it has a respectable amount of vitamin N. All that said...I think it is quite good. I think it would make a wonderful morning starter with the old cup of java and a good before dinner or prior to bedtime smoke. I myself would not consider it an all day smoke for myself but I believe a lot of guys and gals out there would. I think Peterson should tin it. I am very wary of "pouched" tobaccos but this one is a winner.

Pipe Used: Peterson Patent System Oom Paul Antique B Reissue

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the B&M

Similar Blends: I would say a touch milder and a tad sweeter version of: , Peterson - Peterson's Perfect Plug, Peterson - Irish Flake.

Hunor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunor (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This is probably for real Virginia lovers. It's pure Virginia taste, with vanilla. And very flat, which can be seen as positive if you like the taste. This is not the kind of tobacco that will surprise you with different fruits and nutty aromas. It's not aromatic – but it is very sweet. Well, in case you manage to smoke it really slow, and that's not easy. It needs a little drying (not too much) before smoking. It tends to burn easy and a bit too fast, but without any bite. Only the sweetness dissapears if you let it burn as it wants.

The taste, and the overall smoke feels very mild, but I chose to mark 'mild to medium' here, because of the nicotine. The overall smoke is something I was looking for in good cigarettes, when I was smoking cigarettes. I will probably enjoy it on long working nights, when need this kind of thing. It keeps me going like the cigarettes, but it doesn't make me smarter if you know what I mean. When I have to write pages and pages before a deadline, some aromatics have this affect. I feel smarter and inspired, and I think it's not just the taste that has this effect, but something else. As in good red vine, it's not (only) the alcohol, or in turkish coffee, it's not the pure coffeine boost, when I need some extra for working. Aran is the alcohol and the coffeine. It's just a very nice and light way to get some vitamine N in.

It's nice and creamy vanilla taste is just perfect with coffee.

Maybe some aging in a tin would be interesting. Not sure though. Probably this is really something for pure Virginia lovers, and though I'm not one, or at least I love it in well mad mixtures, I found it very nice.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Virginia

Age When Smoked: new from pouch

Purchased From: Gallwitz tobacco shop, Budapest

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (38)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I think other reviews here were not made by aro smokers, since their baseline comparison was to burley "cigarette" tobacco or to English style tobaccos. This is somewhat unfair as Aran is simply a light aromatic, uncomplicated but also flawless in execution. It clearly fills a gap in Peterson stable, and is a sensible commercial decision since many non-specialist shops simply order by brand name. To the tobacco: a light- to medium-tan ribbon, with good moisture level and good aroma. Light vanilla bouquet present throughout. Required several charring lights straight from the pack and might improve on some drying. Burns well, with Cavendish clearly the main tone, while Virginia provides a slight citrusy and grassy note. Not a complex blend, with flavours remaining constant through the bowl and somewhat flat but not in a bad way. Leaves powdery off-white ash in a fine dottle, without late bitterness. Definitely no bite. Can be an all-day smoke without any pretence to high class. Overall a good performer and should be considered by novice pipe smokers as a good introductory blend.

Pipe Used: Orlik Bulldog 9mm filter

Purchased From: "Fajka", a small pipe shop in Szczecin, Poland

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Peterson - Aran.

I can't say the aroma from the un-lit blend is particularly what I look for in a tobacco. It smells a touch odd, the best description that springs to mind is vanilla flavoured perfume: the floral addition is heavier than the vanilla making it seem perfumey. This was from a selection of loosely bagged samples so I'm in no position to cast judgement on the moisture amount from a fresh pouch.

The flavour from the smoke is nowhere near as floral as I thought it was going to be when I smelled the blend. It is indeed floral, but it doesn't taste as 'flowery' as I thought it would; it smells like cheap perfume yet tastes more like expensive Chanel No.5!

I find the vanilla pretty light in the flavour. It doesn't go un-noticed but it seems to work as more of a calming agent for the floral essences rather than gaining recognition on its taste alone.

The nicotine's low. It seems mild without the capability to creep any higher, even if I strain it.

This bites me none, so I can sit and just have the taste without the hurt.

I think this is a good floral blend; it's not too false, not bitey, or too strongly flavoured, sadly for Aran though, I don't like floral blends! Two stars.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Daniel W. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel W. (23)

The aromas from the pouch are very intense of vanilla. When you lit it stays burn in a very good temperature. The flavors are very vanilla and a hint of spicy like white powder pepper. It has low to medium body and intensity. The bitterness is low and the sweetness is medium. At the end the vanilla flavours remaing. A good tobacco, not wonderful, recommend for begginers.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Purchased From: Tabaqueria Inglesa (Buenos Aires)

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (126)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This blend was gifted to me by my friend Haris.once you break the seal a floral vanilla aroma comes out wich doesn't smell so natural.the blend moisture is ok.packs and lights ok.a few relights are needed.while smoking the flavours differ from the aroma.the vanilla flavour is tonned down and the floral flavour is more obvious.the flavours do not combine well each other and the tobacco flavours are really in the backround.i got some nut flavours and rarelly some citruses and dark fruits.the nicotine level is low .burns fast and hot.tongue bite is rare but present.the room note is not pleasant ,smells like chemical room aromatics.leaves a lot moisture and dumbness at the end of the bowl.can be an all day blend.if you like floral essenses i advise you to try S. HOLMES by peterson.not recommended.

Age When Smoked: When opened

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Peterson Aran is a 40 gram pouch (not tinned) tobacco. It is a pleasant enough smoke, but its mildness will bother some smokers. The pouch says that it is an "aromatic vanilla blend." This is expanded by the words "a top flavor of vanilla and blossom notes are expertly combined to reveal a fresh, aromatic tobacco."

The pouch also offers a rating list: strength 2, aromatic taste 3, room note 3. The length of the bars make these numbers rate against a top possibility of a 6. Personally, I would rate this 2, 2, 2 on a 6 point scale.

Open the pouch and you discover a predominantly gold broken ribbon blend with some darker strands, Virginia forms the base, and the darker strands are cavendish, presumably cased with the aromatic essence. Sniff the contents and you get a mild vanilla smell with a tinge of what seems more fruity than the advertised "blossom notes."

The blend lights easily and burns without difficulty. I seldom found need for a relight. The taste is mild. The vanilla is mildly apparent and the "blossom notes" are very mild. Therein is the trouble. The taste is not at all unpleasant, but it is so mild that someone really expecting an aromatic smoke will puff harder trying to ramp it up. As a Virginia based mixture, a heavily puffed smoke will be a bitey smoke. A relaxed puffing cadence offers no bite problem aside from those who are very sensitive in that department.

If you smoke Aran for what it is, a very mild aromatic, and do not try to get it to taste like a full aromatic through vigorous puffing, you will have a satisfactory smoke. The nicotine comes in a tad higher than the mild taste would suggest--about medium. The room note is pleasant, although again it is not a full aroma, but a mild one.

I smoke it in my pipes reserved for aromatics, although a very occasional smoke in another pipe category will not leave a ghost taste. Repeated smokes in the same pipe will.

This review has repeatedly used the word "mild." Hold that in mind before you buy Aran. The laid back nature of Aran makes it most suitable as a change of pace smoke.

usafvol1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
usafvol1 (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually try to be somewhat respectable when I review tobaccos, but it has proven difficult with this one.

Comes in a pouch. Smells kind of like vanilla, a wee bit of spice. Feels good between the fingers. Moisture seemed just about right. Other than that, I can't tell you much more about it, other than the bite with this stuff is off the charts. Immediately bites, when lighting, and the whole time I tried to smoke it. The bite was a sharp, piercing bite, like sticking your tongue to a 9 volt battery. It stung my tongue, stung my lips, inside of my cheeks, everything. Then it left a burning/tingling film in my mouth that was similar to chloraseptic/phenol. Not sure what sub-standard casing Peterson used with this one, but be careful.

Pipe Used: Peterson system, Viking 301, Calabash meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 month.

Purchased From: P&C