One of the original blends from 1848. Mature red Virginia and Kentucky from North Carolina, Black Cavendish and Turkish are blended with Latakia to produce a blend which has given quiet satisfaction to smokers for over a century.

BrandRobert McConnell
2.7
FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

McConnell got this blend Scottish Blend right! Tin note is a mix of smoky hay, earth floral and slight sweet raisin/fig.

Charring Light is slightly sweet with faint raisin and well balanced blend of Virginia and Latakia. While the tin description calls this a “Robust Classic”, I would agree with Classic but my tin had nearly two years on it and I found this blend to be medium in strength with a smoothness and good interplay between the Virginia, Latakia, and Turkish well through mid-bowl. The Perique is also light but adds a nice peppery taste as you reach the bottom third and continues through the end of the bowl leaving a light gray ash..

Moisture content is perfect from the tin and only required a relight after the Charring Light. I found this blend to have no bite and I smoked it slow and allowed it to briefly rest occasionally, allowing the harmonious flavors to ebb and flow throughout the bowl.

While I prefer English, V-Flake, MV and VaPer, this is the Best Scottish Blend I have tried to date and I will purchase more to cellar. I would give it a 3.5 of 4.

Pipe Used: Stanwell HCA Callabash (w/ short stem)

Age When Smoked: 1 yr 8 months

Purchased From: EBay

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Mixture only Much Better!.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

For me, this blend was not so inspiring, but it was a unique experience.

The latakia is well mixed in with the virginias and orientals, and I would say it does not stand out in the forefront at all. On the forefront of the palate are the Virginias, but not pure virginias... virginias mixed with something,,, the perique! The perique is also not at the forefront by any means, but it is detectable, with that peppery quality. This blend was hard to pin down for me... leathery, light smokiness, grassy.

I really either like stronger lat blends or straight virginias, so this just wasn't my my alley. However, the quality is there, it burns well, burns cool, and really can't knock the quality of the product. It just wasn't for me. Still, a good blend for what it is.

leafy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leafy (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I first smoked this blend 20 years ago and, although I loosely maintained use across two years, didnt really 'get it' at the time. Tiring of a Lakeland mixture (G&H No.25 - a mandingous blend) which I had smoked for ten years I revisited Scottish Flake and immediately realized its character; an intriguing and delightful taste mosaic of virginia, turkish, burley and cigar leaf. As has been noted, this flake is friable on opening and shortly may be found to smoke dry. I hydrated the flakes (no rubbing out) with mineral water on a squeezed out sponge, in the tin, overnight and the result was a quiet delight. I now regard this hydration technique as crucial in my enjoyment of flakes such as this, for example; Germaine's Rich Dark Flake, a loosely related, stronger dark blend. As received, the tobacco may be said to be asleep. Hydration wakes it up and leads to contentment for the smoker. A superior rendition of the palette of the blend is experienced, the erstwhile dryness giving way to a more mellow smoking experience. One must take pains not to over-hydrate and make the tobacco soggy but if this occurs it may, of course, be left to dry some. Aeration of new tobacco is often quoted as desirable but I think one might mistake the apparently moist condition of such as Germaine's RDF. The stickiness and shine denote tar and oil rather than moisture content and only after I hydrated it did I realize what a classic that blend is.

Kovacs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kovacs (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Strong

In the tin it smells something like smoked meat, which I found surprising, and nice (however some of my mates said it smelled horrible). When lit, it delivers the nice smoky taste. All in all a good tobacco.

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I bought a 1oo grams tin of Scottish Blend because I wanted to experience a traditional, old- time blend. I must say that I was quite satisfied. The tin smell is great, but you will directly notice a strong adding of Latakia. In general, Latakia is not my cup of tea (thats why I normally avoid english blends), but here, it matches the blend beautifully. Packing my pipe was absolutely easy. Even though the tobacco was quite moist, it lit very fast and stayed so. No relighting was necessary. I found it quite strong, but with an elegant, relaxing taste to it, noticing the in my opinion high amount af Latakia again. It has a pleasant room note, being quite spicy and not too nasty to your non- smoking family or friends. But, you really have to be a freind of blends like this one. They have an own, unique taste and character that made them famous. But thats nothing for everybody! It was a fine trip into the world of the traditional blends, but I think I wont smoke it regularly.

UPDATE 23rd of October, 2010

Since I turn to prefer english blends, this one has become one of my favourites. It has grown on me since I firstly smoked it. It's a great pleasure smoking it and I can smoke it anytime of the day. It's a high-quality, steady and balanced english mixture but somehow doesn't get boring. Excellent smoking qualities. Even though I was a little doubtful about it at first, I learned to love it in the meantime. Highly recommended.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I acquired 4 tins and noted serious inconsistencies from one to the other.

One tin would prove to be divine and the other harsh and unpleasant.

I will stay away. there are a lot of consistent good English mixtures available.

Vaiani Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vaiani (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have to say that, being accustomed to stronger and more tasty mixtures (Balkan Mixture, Elephant Dung, Schürch 128 and 146, to name names), by now this one seems to me quite unremarkable. But (someone said that, here) this could be due to some balancedness of the mixture - a very steady one, too. So I'll stick with this for some time and see how the relation develops. Last thing, I noticed that drink some glasses of just milked milk (is this a proper or at least decent expression in English?) and the smoke some of our blend, well, that fits very well. A milky mixture, I'll say.

=UPDATE= I have finished some time ago my first 50 g of S.M. Initial mistrust developed into honest tolerance and again changed into warm liking... and there I ran out of the stuff. But "you can't hurry love" (sang the Supremes). Also, the S.M. is the only thing I like to smoke in the morning (I mean, to smoke "just like that" and apart from special occasions). Waiter, one more star, please!

=UPDATE #2= Now I really like it.

Rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustica (16)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend reminds very much of MacBaren's Mixture Scottish Blend. I like this take on Scottish blends better, however, as the flavors seem to be easier to discern and appreciate than MacBaren's tendency to leave a mottled, confusing impression on the smoker. Not so easy to pack as the broken flake is pretty stringy and moist but burns great once you get past the first tamp. The room note is somewhat cigarette-ish but with a slight sweetness that makes it pleasing. Flavors I got were of honey, buttered toast, and almonds. Taste gets a little flat near the end of the bowl but worth trying.

BrocS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrocS (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I was rummaging through my local cigar store's tinned tobacco and I happened across a tin of Scottish Blend. Interesting (I thought to myself). I know I have heard of it, but can't remember if what I heard was good or bad. I read the back of the tin: "Robust classic blend of virginia, latakia, turkish and perique." Kind of pricy (but then again everything at this cigar store is over priced), but it looked like it had been there a while; maybe it has some age on it. So I bought it. 15 bucks!@#$% This better be good.

First impression: I cracked the tin in the parking lot: Ketchup. That is a good sign. Very wet though. Surprisingly wet. This is going to take some drying time. I noticed that the blend has a sparing amount of latakia, but enough. When I pulled a pinch out of the tin to dry out, I noticed a little bit of glittery-sparkly stuff on the virginias. I wonder if that is because of the age of the tin? I have heard that that is a good thing, the sugar from the virginias, right?

Light up: I smoked it in my Dunhill Tanshell group 4, (It really seemed to like this particular pipe). I can definitely taste the Latakia, as this seems to be the flavor I always taste in the first charring light, but not very heavy. It only took two lights (which is normal for me) and then it stayed lit pretty well.

The first half of the bowl was very interesting. Very dynamic, as hints of sweetness, along with smooth, buttery, and sage-like notes billowed out of my mouth. You can taste the virginias, but they are sometimes drowned out by the other tobaccos. There is a healthy amount of perique as well (which probably gives it that mean nicotine punch).

The second half of the bowl really flattened out. I was surprised because initially it seemed so promising. I thought for sure that this was going to make its way into my regular rotation, but the longer I smoked it, the less impressed i became. Not that it was bad, it was just sort of, well, flat.

Overall: I have to give this one 2 1/2-2 3/4 stars. There isn't anything really spectacular about Scottish Blend, yet it has potential. It is a tobacco that I imagine will get much better with age. It may be a good blend to cellar for a few years and try again. I think if I had to compare it with something it would probably be close to Presbyterian, but it has been a while since I have had it. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. You may find Scottish Blend to be a very good tobacco.

Cheers!

=UPDATE=

I finished this tin over a couple weeks on my way home from work. I am starting to really like Scottish Blend. I am not one to have too many cans cracked at the same time, so I was committed to finishing this one until I could crack another. My tastes have been shifting towards the Va/per's in the morning, and English in the evening. As this was my only somewhat english blend for a little while, I was really satisfied with it. And the more that I smoked it, the more I realized that it is pretty nuanced. There are a lot of good flavors there, and I really like the roomnote. It kind of reminds me of emp. I have to bump this one up to a full 3 stars. But there are probably much better Scottish blends out there for the same price (which I can't wait to try).

Note: Crack the tin, and give it some time. It got better.

Jimbo724 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jimbo724 (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

In general, I dislike Latakia. In most blends, I find it overpowering and medicinal- tasting. However, I gave this tobacco a try because it is called "Scottish" and has some perique, which I love in my pipe.

The first sniff of the tin was great. I am close to finishing my first bowl as I write this. On the whole, I find this to be a tolerable tobacco that I can smoke again and will not give away. I won't go searching for a pound of this in bulk, but it is a tobacco that I will smoke infrequently when I am in the mood for something like Dunhill Early Morning, which is more than simply tolerable for me.

I just finished the first bowl. There was no dottle whatsoever, even though the weed was quite moist in the tin. Although I could not actually taste the perique as a distinct ingredient, I had the odd sense that I did experience it on my tongue. For my second bowl, I think I might add a smidgen of perique and maybe a smidgen of blending Virginia or burley to "cut" the Latakia a little more.

This blend will not entice me away from smoking mostly perique blends, but if I find myself in a strange land surrounded by aromatics and Latakias and see a tin of this in a local shop, it will be like seeing a B List friend in a strange crowd and I will snatch it up, satisfied that I found something that I can be reasonably content to smoke, at least until I find another tobacco shop tomorrow. I would prefer a tin of Davidoff Scottish Mixture, but this would do under those circumstances.

Not exactly a glowing review, to put it mildly, but I feel that I am more positive than negative about this blend because I normally do not like Latakia blends. If this is all I could ever smoke again, it would not be the end of the world; I would continue to smoke a pipe.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the kind of English blend I love...Scottish......not too heavy on the Latakia, a little Cavendish to sweeten things up, nice and creamy...another great blend from K+K in Germany. A little too moist in the tin but that's no major fault. This goes along with Solani's Eng Lux Mix as a great middle of the road English. That said it's sometimes closer to an oriental than a English Latkia, and also a bit too peaty to be called a true Scottish. A great subltle, creamy and sweet oriental/latakia blend.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)

Update

By God, this tobacco can sometimes be disappointing! There exists, unfortunately, a lack of consistence from one tin to the other.

As where my first couple tins proved an agreeable change of pace, and generated a nice room aroma, the second tin brought up an acrid taste and room aroma that almost made my eyes irritated...

For the sake of inconsistence, I must downgrade my original appreciation of this blend to two stars. A proof that even the best can make mistakes...

Original review 03/18/2008

A good english blend, different that the other standard ones. The black cavendish, all depending of its proportion from one tin to another, will bring up a sweeter taste that is welcomed, for it provides a change of pace for a traditional english. The first tin I smoked was heavier on the BL CA that the second one, thus the taste was sweeter.

The perique will let itself known in sporadical cycles, adding a kick to the whole experience.

SB does manage to maintain my interest. Not an all day favorite, but still regular in my favor.

An easy to fill and smoke blend, I would smoke this one in the wardroom while relaxing with a good pint of ale.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)

This is not a first bowl, "I Love It!" mixture. In fact, it seems almost unremarkable. Stick with it. It took me almost half a 50g. can before I began really appreciating this blend. The mixture of VA, PER, LAT and other Turkish is such that none overpower the others but produce a harmonious, albeit undistinguished smoke. There doesn't exist (IMO) a singular highpoint, instead there is just a good steady and enjoyable smoke. Althought the virginias, turkish and cyrian latakia make themselves known from time to time, I never found the perique. I enjoyed the blend in several different pipes and the thought that kept coming to mind was, "This isn't a bad blend." Well, it isn't a bad blend, far from it but it isn't a blend I would go running out to purchase again if I was getting low on it. I have another tin which is going to stay in my tobacco cellar for a year or so until I re-visit this blend. Maybe then I can say more glowingly positive things.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Contrary to some other reviewers, I didn't have the chance to smoke any of the McConnel's blends of the pre-Kohlhase & Kopp era. So I wouldn't be able to compare.

What I can say is that this blend is definitely English/Oriental, without a doubt. Certainly not a heavy one, but I can make out easily the Orientals, a bit of Latakia, VAs. I can't detect the Périque nor the Black Cavendish by tin aroma, but I can detect them when I'm smoking the blend.

This Bakkie is a long cut, with leaves of golden, orangy, red, green and black colours. The tin aroma is somehow reminiscent of Dunhill's Standard Mixture medium, so it is to say the amnount of Latakia is not high, because Standard Mixture Medium has no- or barely none- Latakia.

The filling is quite easy, due to the cut of the Bakkie. I like shortening the length of the bakkie to make the filling even easier. The moisture level was a bit high, but still smokable, despite the fact that it required more religthnings than usual.

The Orientals and Vas sure shine through right from the start, and they will remain consistent throughout the smoke. This is tasty, not really strong, but not light either; it's a proper balance, and the nicotine level is satisfactory. Think of a Rattray's no 7 on steroids. As you smoke your way through, some distinct hints of Latakia will emerge, but what comes back more often, but still on an irregular frequency, is the sweet black cavanedish which, frankly, is a nice addition as it cools off a bit the kick of the smoke and blends in well with the rest. It offers a nice contrast which I appreciate. Contrary to other reviewers, I think that those tobaccos blend well together and will benefit from some aging.

After all, more English blends than we think contain some black cavendish, sweetened or not, to smooth out the global taste.

The smoke gets stronger past half bowl, and I can't say I've detected with certainty any substantial amount of Périque in there. So, if it's there, it's in very small proportion. What I can say is this, though: make sure the bowl is not too loosely packed on the bottom, or the smoke will bite and irritate your taste bubs!

The ending is rather dry, but I've discovered that I prefer to finish off my pipefuls the next day rather than the same, for my ending of bowls have a tendency to be wet and alter the tobacco taste a lot when I smoke the whole thing at once. Maybe I smoke too fast, I don't know yet. But it's a diferent issue.

I must say, I like this Bakkie, and will order more. This is a different Latakia/Oriental and, thanks to the addition of the sweetened black cavendish and the low content of Latakia, the wife has no problem with it and I can enjoy it at home. And that is priceless!

Recommended!

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (68)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

While there was nothing particularly wrong with my current tin of SB, it is significantly different from what it used to be. Before it was a moist (some say overly so) wonderfull Scottish blend, on par with Rattray Black Mallory and the various Cotton Scottish styles. No it is a very nice English with some Black Cavendish. IT has none of the depth and nuance it used to. The only thing I noticed that was different was that K&K had taken over production. I generally like their product, and hope they will get this back to its former glory. OK English, not so good Scottish.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (154)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I passed through SM in the late '90, when I was luck to receive an imported 50grms small size round tin. I don't know if it was still RMcC's original manufacturing. Sure it was a full english/scottish or whatever else You would call. Maybe there was also some Havana leaf in the mix, sure I remember that was not an all-day smoke for empty stomach... The current production by K&K, in a standard round tin of the same green, is far milder, and I'm smoking it as the first pipeful in the morning while I drive to my office, and the one when I drive back to home for dinner. Like all the K&K's it comes very moist and need time to dry out for a correct smoke. I like it much because it's sweet - yes, Black Cavendish, but in the british fashion - and liqueurish, and this could be the some topping. Sorry, I don't detect any Perique, but will try to better concentrate on this aspect the next. It seems like a better - read stronger and with a significant load of Lattakia - version of Plumcake. It smokes a bit fast, but I haven't faced any kind of bite. Very good product: 3 stars

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (13)

I have to agree with Exedwardsguy in most every particular. Let me just add, that I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the tin and discovered exactly what I had expected. The tin I had was perhaps 5 years old, and the tobaccos had melded together wonderfully. I have tried a number of variations of what are called Scottish blends, but this is what the term means to me. The tin aroma is rich but not overpowering and the flavor is full, but without tiring the palate. The tobacco burned well and required minimal relights.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A difficult tobacco to understand completely, too many tobaccos that don't mix in a definite way. The result is a pretty confused smoke with nods of everything here and there but without a precise plot to follow; it doesn't set that hook you can remember. On the contrary I can clearly remember the dampness upon opening the tin, which was quite awesome: it's mandatory to leave it open for a while. Not a bad tobacco, satisfying nicotine-wise, but really too confused for me. Here in Europe it's manufactured by Kohlhase & Kopp, so the USA version might be different.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A fairly middle-of-the-road English style blend. Scottish has a nice balance, and a bit of subtle nuance as the Latakia and Oriental mingle with the Black Cavendish around the ever-present Virginia.

No particular leaf jumps out at you, they are all pretty muted. Like the overall blend, nothing really stands out. This is a nice smoke that doesn?t have an overpowering room note. One reviewer suggested that it could be compared to My Mixture 965, and I have to agree. Turn the flavor and fullness knobs down a few notches, add a hint of Perique and you have it.

You could smoke this all day. You can ? I won?t.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

What Exedwardguy said, but with the addition of the notion that the difference here is the presence of some SWEEET McClelland Virginia, which makes this a really nicely balanced, Virginia-based blend.

Tasty stuff, even for someone who doesn't love LAt-blends.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Scottish Blend: An English blend with Cavendish, a light English blend, an English blend with burley, an English blend with peat, an English blend made from floor sweepings of various English blends, or wha?eers thrufty. Take it from me, even though it is farmed out to Sassenach, McConnell?s IS Scottish Blend - hey, there?s a thistle right on the tin, for Peat?s sake. If the pipe world let this blend settle the confusion, it could do no better.

Scottish Blend is a beautiful mix of thin ribbon cut reds, blacks, and cream colored tobaccos packed neatly in its oil stained paper doily inside a somewhat compact 50G tin (I hate the sickly avocado green pseudo-toile label). The aroma that emerges on opening the tin is intoxicating. If you like Latakia and Turkish, you are in for a treat, my brother. Moisture content: ideal. Almost packs itself.

The charring light releases a glorious mix of oriental tang, soft mesquite campfire, and, surprise! sweet black Cavendish, (which just occasionally pops up once or twice early during a bowl). By mid-bowl it has settled into a wonderfully smooth, balanced groove of lataturkish with the Virginia starting to work.

By the home stretch the sweet is gone. The Turkish and Cavendish have left the party, and your old pals the Virginian, the Cajun, and the Cypriot stay to finish the last few drams with you? cool, mellow, smoky, joy.

This tobacco probably won?t satisfy the true ?Balkan Vampires? as one genius reviewer put it, or the diehard clubmen who regularly bathe themselves in Nightcap and wake up every morning to a bowl of Early Morning, but it is a great walk on the wild side for just about anybody else. In fact, if you don?t really crave Latakia, but occasionally enjoy Early Morning, Aperitif, or Presbyterian Mixture, give Scottish Blend a try. Certainly one of the best of the mild Latakia blends.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an intriguing, almost disconcerting blend, with some sweetness to it, and IMO very tasty. This should be on the full strength side. It contains enough Latakia to make it noticeable, but not to the typical English extent. The deep smokiness of this leaf is present as a background note, giving it a certain earthy nuttiness to remind the smoker this is something of an English (well, make it a Scottish) blend. The Perique, on the other hand, is barely manifest, to the point that were it not for the blender?s description I don?t think I would have noticed it.

It is the sweet element that disconcerts. Whereas the use of Cavendish processed leaf can also be found in English style blends,like Dunhill?s 965, in Scottish Blend it seems to be overly present. Maybe this is due to the fact that Dunhill?s mixture contains unsweetened brown Cavendish, while McConnell?s rendering uses the sweet, steamed black variety. This seems to establish, IMO, a kind of taste and aroma contradiction. Even though SB is a rich tobacco, a bit over the medium strength line, the Black Cavendish seems to mellow it and provide a syrupy backdrop that just seems at odds with the Latakia element (kind of mixing a bit of Captain Black white label with an English. Some may even think of this as a Frog Morton type of blend). And yet, somehow, the concoction pulls through and achieves quite a palatable structure.

Once lit the aroma does not seem to bother those around, and the density of the processed blend allows for a long, leisurely smoke. I don?t think I would smoke this one constantly, but every now and then this is a worthwhile experience. Not for the beginner, this tobacco can be an interesting change of pace for English style smokers, or a transitional tobacco for those seeking to switch from aromatics to English style mixtures.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

Scottish blend, a name which usually evokes a taste of strong tobaccos from varying types. As usual a moist tobacco, easy to pack, and the can did have a pungency of orientals. Charring light, make that two, presented a medium taste, not bad. Further down the bowl, the taste remained the same, as did the strength. This tobacco smoked at a moderate rate, in that, it did not change. I was waitng for the usual nicotine kick at the bottom, no show! I find it hard to condemn this blend, but plaudits would be limited. A nice medium tobacco, that could be smoked all day.

A hodge-podge of tobaccos in a combination that does little to stimulate the palate. Not quite enough English, not quite enough virginia, not quite enough perique. This blend just misses the boat.

It is cool and smokes dry, but then, so does an unlit pipe.

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this particular blend quite bland in every respect and entirely uneventful from beginning to end. Don't get me wrong: it wasn't bad; but it wasn't good, either. It was just simply bland.

I'd strongly suggest spending your money elsewhere. You could buy Dunhill for the same price!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

While the older format allowed the reviewer several degrees of recommendation, the newer format only allows one to say that I smoke this regularly, or occasionally, etc. But since I just tried it for the first time, old-familiarity terms do not really apply. I liked it. I recommend it. I cannot predict whether I will smoke it regularly, or occasionally, or seldom.

I am not sure what makes this "Scottish". When I think Scottish, I think Scottish cake, i.e., broken, instead of fully-rubbed, flake. I get the impression that modern Continental blenders use the term for a mild English blend, often with Cavendish-processed leaf.

That is precisely what this is. The smell in the tin is absolutely scrumptious, rich, mildly yeasty, a Latakia-blend smell. Truly mouth-watering.

Taste-wise, think a lighter My Mixture 965. The Latakia is applied with the most expert light hand; the orientals give a silkiness that caresses the tongue, and the virginia/cavendish base makes the whole thing as round and savoury as nutmeggy, cinnamonny bread pudding. Very good.

I smoked it in a Stanwell poker and then a Larsen prince. It burned cool, dry and tasty every time.