Scandinavian Tobacco Group wants to give everyone a chance to try out pipe smoking therefore have developed the Borkum Riffs PipePack range. This tobacco has the plus of being ready wrapped to enable immediate insert straight into the pipe. It fits a chamber around 18-19mm. There are 6 plugs per pouch. The blend is around 80% black cavendish and 20% light Virginia. This one is flavoured with liquorice and then Sambuca. The wrapper is extra thick black cigarette style paper.

BrandBorkum Riff
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Manufactured BySkandinavian Tobacco Group
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Licorice
Packaging6 wraps
Strength
Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium
Unnoticeable, Pleasant to Tolerable
1.5

Borkum Riff - PipePacks Liquorice.

Not so long ago, I smoked the Pipepacks Orange Whisky and was surprised to find I actually enjoyed it, you see, I don't consider the whole PipePack idea my sort of thing. I can't say the same for this one though.

The first merit of a PipePack, obviously, is the ease of preparation: just put one in your bowl! And then there are some other good points: the burn's even, the smoke's cool, the nicotine's mild, and it doesn't bite. The added flavour's the bad point: it's not particularly strong, it just seems a little flat for an aromatic. It can be identified as being liquorice, but it isn't as sharp or lively as I'd expect. That's the liquorice out of the way, that leaves the tobaccos, these redeem the blend a touch: the main taste is an extremely mild/soft vanilla Black Cavendish one; this raises the result to somewhat recommended instead of not recommended.

At best, this could only score two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Lestrade

Age When Smoked: 3 Months

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (55)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Unnoticeable

I was down the road in the corner shop and saw this on the shelf.

The bloke explained what the idea is and I thought it was the daftest idea since papal condoms. I had to give it a go. Just for fun.

The wad of baccy, wrapped in what appears to be a Rizla liquorice skin. It's is supposed to fit nicely into your bowl. It assumes you have the right calibre bowl.

Anyway, it sort of works. But I don't really see any advantage for anyone. Besides which, it's far and away the most expensive way of smoking

So I won't suggest you try it unless you're like me - too nicotine nerdy with too much time on my hands!

Pipe Used: One with a calibre.

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: The shop down on the corner.

Similar Blends: Power and ball wad for muzzle loaded musket..