A blend of bright and dark Virginia's, pressed and broken apart during cutting. Medium strength with a distinctive aroma.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
Strength
None Detected, Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
2.7
JimInks (2040)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As this is the flake version of Bosun Plug (which is actually broken flake), and I detect no differences between the two versions, I'm repeating my review of the plug here. The various Virginia tobaccos are very earthy, slightly spicy and grassy, mildly woody with a light smokiness, a bit of fermented ripe dark fruit and some citrus as well as a little nuttiness. The noticeable cigar notes underscore the experience. The oil of cloves is lightly added with the rose geranium being the more prominent topping, both of which mildly tone down the tobacco varietals. They are just a shade past the medium level. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite, and has no harsh or dull moments. Burns rather slow, cool and clean with a fairly smooth and creamy, very consistent richly sweet and floral flavor from start to finish. Needs some relights, but leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste and a stronger room note, both of which linger just a little. For those experienced in Lakelands, this could be an all day smoke.

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Gawith Hoggarth-Kendal Bosun Flake. The appearance of the flakes are exactly as you would expect from the description. They have good length, about five inches, are about an inch and a half wide and are of the standard thickness. The colour is mainly medium brown with a covering of lighter flecks all over. The water content is good, enabling smoking to take place straight away. I mentioned how the appearance meets with the description impeccably but the taste is where it differs vehemently. I got the first inkling that this would be the case when I put my nose in the pouch. I got a slightly floral, slightly alcoholic aroma and this was affirmed by the smoke. It doesn't taste 'aromatic' as such but it does have a resemblance to a topping of that sort. The room note however lacks this quality. It isn't bad but there isn't much character to it. The nicotine is reasonably mild, not totally vacant but it would probably suit a newer smoker. I get a good and stable burn for the whole bowl, unless I leave it un-puffed. I find Bosun Flake a decent enough smoke but I wouldn't be able to smoke it all the time as after a few bowls I find the floral taste a little irritating. Two stars.

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Dai Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dai (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The description days straight virginia with no flavouring well if this is true then it's one that I like because, I normally don't like straight virginia tobacco's. I found Bosun Flake burns well keeps cool and no tongue bite for me. It definitely is an enjoyable flake fairly slow and cool burning. This is the first virginia that didn't taste of cigarette tobacco to me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 645/320, Falcon, Rattray Bent Bulldog