Notes: A remake of the original Three Castles previously made by several companies, including H.D. & O.H. Wills. It was marketed as pipe tobacco and as "roll your own" cigarette tobacco made with flue cured Virginia.

BrandHBI
Blended ByMark Ryan
CutShag
Packaging50 gram pouch
Strength
Taste
JimInks (2040)

A simple, uncomplicated flue cured Virginia with natural citrusy sweetness and some grass and hay. I also got a few familiar notes that reminded me of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I'm not comparing those two blends because they are different (e.g., SWRA has a topping and burley, and this does not), but they both must have a similar type of Virginia. Puffed at a slow to moderate rate, it didn’t bite or get harsh or amazingly cigarette-like, though you may have gotten some of the latter no matter how slow you puffed. Puffed fast, and you risked all of that and more. Left no moisture, and being a dry shag cut, burned quickly, but not hot if you paced the smoke. Had a nice nic-note. A nice all day non-complex smoke with pure Virginia flavor.

Three Castles was designed to be both a pipe and a cigarette tobacco, though I only smoked it in a pipe.

I smoked several tins of this in the mid-1990s, and as I have not smoked the latest version - which I am told (by D&R blender Mark Ryan) is exactly the same blend as what I experienced - I wrote my review in the past tense. Mr. Ryan had a hand is bringing Three Castles back, and also sells it in the US as Three Sails under the D&R brand.