Rich mature pure Virginia tobacco with sweet cavendish. Dark brown honeydew and a small proportion of perique. During the hot pressing process over several days natural fruit flavours are introduced to create a smooth, cool and slow burning mild tobacco.

Notes: According to K&K's website they must've changed the recipe: "Dark Virginia flake is rubbed out by hand and then mixed with a good portion of black cavendish, as well as a whiff of Kentucky and perique." Aroma: Chocolate and rum.

BrandRobert McConnell
Taste

2.5
HCraven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HCraven (9)

Glen Piper is something of an unusual tobacco, though in the best possible sense of the word. It is generally referred to as an aromatic, which I think is accurate, though in the context of most aromatics on the market today the term might be a bit misleading, leaving smokers who really fancy those other blends scratching their heads or shrugging their shoulders, while simultaneously putting off people who turn their noses up at anything of the sort. While the largest portion of my personal rotation consists of English blends, Virginias, VaPers and some Burleys, I've been smoking a fair bit of this lately and I think it deserves a little more press than it gets, so I'd like to share my impressions of it with you in the hopes that you not miss out on something you might enjoy.

First off, I have to say that I am disppointed that McConnell (or should I say K&K) has chosen to change the label from the traditional pastoral scene to a generic-looking lime green label with the name in a rather plain font. I assume that as with many European tinned tobaccos, they've modified the design to allow for the obnoxiously specious “Smoking Kills” warning that it seems by law must occupy at least half of the label. I think it detracts from the value of the brand somehow, robbing it of the history that we pipe smokers value. I have similar misgivings about Planta's changes to the James J. Fox labels. It's a minor complaint, though, so long as the blends retain their high quality, which is something I think Kohlhase & Kopp are dedicated to, if not so much to preserving the graphic art.

Once you take off the lid, however, you are greeted with the site of a beautifully colorful, ready-rubbed tobacco that might put one in the mind of an English mixture if it weren't for the rich, sweet aroma of fermented fruit that foreshadows the unique delights to be soon savored in the pipe. The skillful blending of Virgina, Cavendish, Honeydew and Perique, along with their subsequent pressing and flavoring, really do carry this experience through to the tongue, unlike many aromatics whose sweet aroma seems to be only of benefit to bystanders, with a flavor that may still be pleasant but different to the smoker.

From the tin, the tobacco benefits from perhaps fifteen minutes of air time before packing, though it seems it would lose something if allowed to dry too much, so you might want to load your pipe before it gets to the point where it doesn't stick together at all. I am not of the impression that much if any PG is added to this blend to retain moisture, which is unusual for an aromatic, and it will dry quickly in the open and faster than you'd think in it's rectagular tin. I'd recommend jarring this almost immediately if you don't think you'll burn through it in a week or less. The upside is that there is no sign of PG's funkiness in the taste or goop in the heel of your pipe. Packing is a no-brainer given the near-perfect cut, and I've had no trouble lighting and maintaining a good burn even with a little extra moisture.

To me, the aforementioned flavor of fermented fruit is the mainstay of this tobacco, but the rich Virginia base is there in spades as well, which not only makes this aromatic smoke more like a traditional flake or mixture, it adds a real depth to the flavor that is often lacking in Burley- or Black-Cavendish-based aros, where the flavor seems to sit on top and easily goes flat or even sours toward the end of a bowl. In my experience, the fruit flavor holds firm throughout, though the Virginia comes on just a little stronger in the end. Overall, the component tobaccos are well-balanced to do their job together, rather than taking individual bows, and give a consistent mild to medium flavor. It can nip a little if overpuffed, but it's not as finicky as you might expect. Nicotine may well leave you wanting if you require a healthy dose.

Personally, I'd highly recommend this tobacco. It's a unique smoke, in my experience, something to be enjoyed after dinner, perhaps, like a good dessert, or anytime you'd like a nice change of pace, a mild yet flavorful smoke, or a tobacco that others in the room could appreciate without having to compromise too much. I get a sense of history from this blend, as though more aromatics were once made in a similar fashion before the advent of heavy artificial flavorings and the humectants necessary to keep them from evaporating away, although I've learned since I originally wrote this review that Glen Piper was introduced around 1974, well into the era of modern aromatics. If you do try it, come to it with an open mind, as I think false expectations may lead to a less than satisfactory impression of it. It may not be on the top of everyone's list of favorite tobaccos, but I do think it has something for everybody to enjoy, at least occasionally. My overall rating: four stars / highly recommended as an aromatic, three stars / recommended among all styles.

It may be worth devoting a pipe to if you like it, as I could see it distorting the taste of a subtle Virginia flake smoked from the same appliance while Glen Piper itself has a somewhat delicate flavor that could be destroyed by a Latakia or heavy aromatic ghost.

Pipe Used: GBD Rockroot Canadian, Savinelli Billiard

Purchased From: Pipes & Pleasures, Columbus, OH

Robert McConnell - Glen Piper.

This one seems to get a mixed reaction so I decided to try it for myself and here is my view ...... personally I find it to be very pleasurable, it's classed as ready rubbed but mine was more the consistency of a very broken flake. It emanates an almost Fruit Cake like unlit aroma and I find this very enticing. The moistness is very good, it's just the right amount and it's easy to light up.

The flavour of the smoke is fruity but not too heavy on the aromatic side as you get a good Virginia hit but also the Perique cuts through. The Cavendish is not really noticeable and be warned that it will bestow a fairly big bite if it is strained too harshly. Room-note is also a little fruity and good for anyone in the room as it is not too heavy. Other than the sporadic bite it's very pleasurable, almost a Christmas pudding tobacco!

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Britain's Best Briar

Purchased From: Smoke King

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)

Oh this is nasty.

Very nasty.

That's one helluva damnation Mr RH I hear you cry.

This tobacco has a nasty aftertaste that creeps up on you when you aren't looking. There's a chemical in this tobacco that I swear has been obtained from old WW2 MOD stockpiles bought up by somebody called Robert McConnell just to get even with the English for Culloden.

It's the sort of aftertaste you associate with those godawful sugar free drinks that only women and children seem to enjoy.

Oh yeah, the tobacco looks innocuous enough, hiding its evil secret in a somewhat floral (albeit chemically enhanced) alcoholic scent.

It's a little swine to keep alight and just as vile in any type of pipe. I couldn't finish a bowl of this poison, I was glad when it went out.

Surprisingly, the was no complaint from the anti-tobacco faction in this house. Indeed I have claimed in the past to have had no sense of room note but this stuff seems to cling to the walls, the carpets and the curtains like dentist gas that nearly killed me in as a kid back in 1965.

This is the first tobacco since I started several years ago to make me cough. This is the sort of stuff to drive me back to cigarettes.

I'm ditching what's left of this tobacco into the darkest depths of the bin. If Samuel Gawiths had leftovers after making Celtic Talisman it would taste like this.

You didn't like it then Mr RH ?

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh,

Haha.

Ready-rubbed cut (ribbony but not quite ribbons) mottled but mostly darker mixture with a horribly disconcerting tin aroma of a fruit basket. Mostly darker fruits but also some apricot. Perhaps some type of liquor scent as well. No evidence of chocolate or perique in the tin bouquet. I've smelled this aroma in various pipeshop "house blends" that turned into flavor disasters but this is a Robert McConnell creation so I soldiered on.

At tin moisture, this was overly fruity tasting but still pretty decent, with the fruit playing well with the tobacco flavors. As I get much more flavor from drier Virginias, I dried this to various levels and got the best results when it was very dry. At that point, the Cavendish receded in potency and the natural Virginia sweetness and crispness became dominant. Interestingly the chocolate flavor was more in evidence when dried. I can't say I ever tasted perique, even during the snorking process - no nose or throat tickle - and the persistence of the fruity Cavendish hid perique's dark fruit and pepper quite nicely. But its inclusion makes sense, as K&K has added it to several blends that didn't originally have it in order to restore the flavor to the state in which McConnell devised it. And again, I'm not as sensitive to perique in small doses as I am latakia, so it's inclusion is not as obvious as the latakia is in Presbyterian or the lack of latakia in something like Provost. As to what is obviously here, even when dried the fruit flavor is a bit over the top for me. It's smokable and I actually enjoyed it, but smoking too much of this would wear me out, the same way eating too much chocolate cake would. This is good as an occasional smoke, as it's not a nicotine powerhouse, it holds a light well and it's got that "special flavor". Worth a try to Virginia lovers looking for some aromatic pleasure or for aromatic smokers who might like to taste tobacco instead of just flavorings.

dieubussy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dieubussy (7)

Ordered a tin from my dealer in Germany, very different from the one in the picture above: it seems like the McConnell brand has shifted to a more generic presentation. My disappointment towards the tin decoration was heavily compensated by the configuration of what was inside. This mixture has an impressive cut, some pieces still as large as the size of the original flake; beautiful color and texture if you gently feel the tobacco in the hand. The smell is also quite unique and puzzling.

I enjoy smoking the tobacco in its original cut although I recommend opening the tin for a little while and let some air go through those broken pieces before filling the pipe as it will save your taste buds from a little bit of the sourness or discomfort in the tongue – which, I believe, is almost inevitable in the first few puffs out of each bowl filled with this particular blend.

This has been mentioned as a starter's smoke - not so true as far as I can see. The aromas build slowly in the mouth and in a fashion more discretely than most newcomers would want to accept and I no doubt read a few comments on it that attest my claim. The chocolate flavoring makes the smoke velvety while there is definitely the taste of spirits as the bowl progresses. This blend is also just in the right proportion of perique for my taste: although I can clearly understand how the taste of liquor in conjunction with this particular tobacco in the blend might come as slightly nauseating to some. The whole flavour is finished with vague hints of fruit.

For full enjoyment, this tobacco begs for slow puffing, as slow as possible which not only makes it the more delicious – making its mild aroma come to life – but also a long lasting experience added that the peculiar cut takes a long time to burn. Smoke it indoors and nowhere else.

(http://thedailypuffer.tumblr.com/)

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)

GP is exactly what the label describes: a (very) light aromatic, in the English way (but not in the Lakeland?s soapy fashion). As Tantric wrote: polite and discreet ? with nice room aroma. Frankly, I don?t detect dried fruits or figs. I taste a winey and flowery (think to Sauvignon blanc) mild smoke, not much ?substantial? (in the sense of big volume) and slightly peppery, but nothing to do with Perique. Black Cavendish has the main role, counterbalanced by the the herbal bright Va?s. While smoking my mind runs to both Black and Gold? and Scottish Blend, seems they do share the same Black Cavendish. Leaves a pleasantly sweet watered mouth, and doesn?t ?wax? the palate nor bites unless you run. It?s quite moist in the tin ? like all the RmC?s (say it better: K&K), that?s it again: excess water paid for tobacco - but better not smoking it dried out.I have left a pipeful drying a couple of hour, that was a wrong choice, it?s going to bite me, and develops an unpleasant bitter note. (Somewhat) Recommended as a change of pace. That?s why I?m reviewing GP upon ending the first tin, instead of the second, as I usually do. I'm not running to buy a second one.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I tried this as I was told McConnells are good quality and I saw alot of good reviews here for GP. It is good, very good, I am still looking for the right pipe for this one. Fruity flavours, plums and port, a good desert baccy with a glass of vintage port as long as you haven't eaten too much...it is rich in taste and flavour. It does burn well for a aromatic and does still have a 'natural taste' to it with earthy tones. Recommend if you like dark dried fruits but dislike, cherry or blackcurrent aromatics. It is wet in tin but dries quickly...not much bite also.

Edit: Down to 3 stars, finished two tins off, it is a great baccy just misses that special extra something, buy a tin you won't be disappointed, it is a top quality aromatic. I could see this one aging well for an aromatic, praise indeed.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have noted, there isn't a lot of flavor with this blend. The leaf is good and it is a well-behaved smoke but I don't taste any trace of the rum/cocoa/chocolate/fruit. It smells like fermented fruit in the tin but it is simply flat when it is in the pipe. It isn't a bad blend but it doesn't measure up to other aromatics.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Soft, elegant, with notes of raisins, figs and dried fruit, yet not goopy or sugary. The Black Cavendish is there alright, but it is so polite and discreet that it does not overwhelm the delicate composition of this singular blend. Definitely an aromatic, this is not a cased tobacco. The flavor?faintly sweet and bitter?has been applied (topping) with utmost discretion, so that you never lose sight of the fact you are smoking pipe tobacco. Creamy and mellow, it has a slow burning rate which makes it a delight when reading or listening to music. Dark and light browns, some in broken flake form, a bit moist in the tin, this is essentially a Virginia/Cavendish composition, thoroughly enjoyable, and never tiring. Nice and inviting room aroma, too. With Larsen?s Selected Blend No. 80, this is one of the few aromatic tobaccos I really enjoy.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The reason the perique cannot be tasted is the fact there is no Perique in this blend. There is enough cased cavendish though to call this a light aromatic.

Plen Piper burns cool enough, but lacks depth and is too light on the nicotine to keep this piper satisfied.

This could easily be an all day smoke for those who enjoy aromatic blends. I think Virginia lovers will feel cheated regarding true tobacco flavor. But, if light and sweet sounds good, this may be the tobacco for you.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)

This is a flavoured mixture. There is casing and there is top dressing and I’m sure there are natural ingredients but also artificial substances. Three essential flavoring: perique, fruit and chocolate. Without any doubt, PERIQUE is present and you can taste it but it is not leading. From the side of the taste, FRUIT is evanescent, really vanishing and after opening the tin you can taste it only in the first and second smoke (maybe even in the third, but not later). For this reason fruit flavoring is only a topping and not a casing element. On the other hand CHOCOLATE is a component of the casing. On smoking, it is difficult to taste it, but you can smell the scent very well and it is always present. I don’t know if this is a black cavendish result but chocolate is certainly a flavoring ingredient. Finally not a bad mixture and not a great mixture. So, in my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I got this one from my local b&m, thinking for some bizarre reason, that it was a plug. Darn it, I was disappointed when I opened the tin. Never mind, I don't think I need to have worried.

Upon opening the tin, I was amazed at how comfortably the tobacco fitted into the tin. Most offerings are either crammed into near oblivion while others leave enough space to conduct large scale nuclear warfare. This stuff, though, just nicely fills out the tin, without leaving any space and yet without looking cramped either. I think it's noticing stuff like this that kept me out of the really good jobs. The largely dark rubbings, with only the merest dash of occasional gold, smelled lovely too, very fruity. The tin note carries on in milder fashion into the smoke, continuing all the way down to the bottom. It does nicely step off the gas on odd occasions and allows the dark, earthy flavour of the tobacco underneath to rear it's head above the parapet. It does sometimes get a little rough but it's no real biggy.

After the disappointment of finding out it wasn't a plug, I have to say this stuff has redeemed itself reasonably well. It doesn't excite or thrill but it does soothe and calm relatively well. It isn't a classic by any means, but I would rank it amongst one of the better aromatics. I'm sure I'll treat myself to a tin sometime when I fancy a break from the norm.

Pipe Used: Finlays Laureate Knobby

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Purchased From: Cuban Cigar Club

Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The German blender K&K has done a another nice job with this blend. The rubbed out mix of light VAs and black cavendish have a delightful, sweet tin aroma that it also present in the taste, aftertaste and receives rave reviews with respect to room aroma. It smokes cool without any hint of bite. However, I found that any VA tobacco taste was overshadowed by the casing. Since I normally don't choose strong aromatics for this reason, I really can't criticize the blend since it is clearly marked as an aromatic on the tin. If you prefer these types of blends, give it a try. Although one of the better of the limited number of aromatics that I've tried, I'll probably only revisit this blend for situations where the room aroma is more important than my ultimate, personal pleasure.