Rich mature pure Virginia tobacco with sweet Cavendish. Dark Brown Honeydew and a small proportion of Perique. During the hot pressing process over several days natural fruit flavours are introduced to create a smooth, cool and slow burning mild tobacco.

BrandRobert McConnell
2.6
Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

The cavendish addition in this blend is somewhat high for my taste. Strength of it is just not enough for me. Packs and lights easily, and offers a light and sweet smoke. The aromatic lovers can smoke this all day. The VA lovers like me would look elsewhere for a true tobacco taste.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

GP is exactly what the label describes: a (very) light aromatic, in the English way (but not in the Lakeland?s soapy fashion). As Tantric wrote: polite and discreet ? with nice room aroma. Frankly, I don?t detect dried fruits or figs. I taste a winey and flowery (think to Sauvignon blanc) mild smoke, not much ?substantial? (in the sense of big volume) and slightly peppery, but nothing to do with Perique. Black Cavendish has the main role, counterbalanced by the the herbal bright Va?s. While smoking my mind runs to both Black and Gold? and Scottish Blend, seems they do share the same Black Cavendish. Leaves a pleasantly sweet watered mouth, and doesn?t ?wax? the palate nor bites unless you run. It?s quite moist in the tin ? like all the RmC?s (say it better: K&K), that?s it again: excess water paid for tobacco - but better not smoking it dried out.I have left a pipeful drying a couple of hour, that was a wrong choice, it?s going to bite me, and develops an unpleasant bitter note. (Somewhat) Recommended as a change of pace. That?s why I?m reviewing GP upon ending the first tin, instead of the second, as I usually do. I'm not running to buy a second one.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)

Oh this is nasty.

Very nasty.

That's one helluva damnation Mr RH I hear you cry.

This tobacco has a nasty aftertaste that creeps up on you when you aren't looking. There's a chemical in this tobacco that I swear has been obtained from old WW2 MOD stockpiles bought up by somebody called Robert McConnell just to get even with the English for Culloden.

It's the sort of aftertaste you associate with those godawful sugar free drinks that only women and children seem to enjoy.

Oh yeah, the tobacco looks innocuous enough, hiding its evil secret in a somewhat floral (albeit chemically enhanced) alcoholic scent.

It's a little swine to keep alight and just as vile in any type of pipe. I couldn't finish a bowl of this poison, I was glad when it went out.

Surprisingly, the was no complaint from the anti-tobacco faction in this house. Indeed I have claimed in the past to have had no sense of room note but this stuff seems to cling to the walls, the carpets and the curtains like dentist gas that nearly killed me in as a kid back in 1965.

This is the first tobacco since I started several years ago to make me cough. This is the sort of stuff to drive me back to cigarettes.

I'm ditching what's left of this tobacco into the darkest depths of the bin. If Samuel Gawiths had leftovers after making Celtic Talisman it would taste like this.

You didn't like it then Mr RH ?

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh,

Haha.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have noted, there isn't a lot of flavor with this blend. The leaf is good and it is a well-behaved smoke but I don't taste any trace of the rum/cocoa/chocolate/fruit. It smells like fermented fruit in the tin but it is simply flat when it is in the pipe. It isn't a bad blend but it doesn't measure up to other aromatics.

brigstowe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brigstowe (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Disclaimer: this is the first 'aromatic' I have tried. Please note my inexperience with this type of blend.

Upon opening, the tin exudes the most wonderful aroma of dried apricots, raisins, figs and prunes. The casing has a natural quality to it, with no harsh or artificial notes. The cut is thick and chunky: entirely consistent with the 'broken flake' description given above. Some large pieces of flake appear in the tin intact, but for the most part this tobacco does not require rubbing out.

I had some difficulty keeping it lit, never quite managing to smoke a full bowl without relighting several times. Also, the thick cut made it difficult to tamp and caused it to burn rather unevenly. Perhaps my technique was at fault here!

The flavour is rather unidimensional and too mild for my taste. The contrast between light VA and black cavendish is obvious in the tin, but hardly detectable in the smoke. Same goes for the delightfully fruity casing. This may sound churlish, but I enjoyed sniffing this tobacco more than I enjoyed smoking it! It did not 'taint' my pipes, but it did leave a pleasant smell of apricots in the bowl for a while after smoking.

This blend makes me wish that tobaccoreviews.com used a five-point scale for recommendations. It does not claim to be anything more than a 'mild aromatic', so I feel bad giving it two stars. I do not, however, feel that it deserves three.

steelball78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steelball78 (1)

This is one of my all time favorite aromatics. Its not heavily cased (i.e. a peterson aromatics), but just enough to let you know you are smoking an aromatic. do not let it stay in an opened tin for over a month because it dries out very quickly

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

Found old tin and looks like the one pictured above.

A pleasant blend of good quality but wouldn't go out of my way to buy another tin.

dieubussy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dieubussy (6)

Ordered a tin from my dealer in Germany, very different from the one in the picture above: it seems like the McConnell brand has shifted to a more generic presentation. My disappointment towards the tin decoration was heavily compensated by the configuration of what was inside. This mixture has an impressive cut, some pieces still as large as the size of the original flake; beautiful color and texture if you gently feel the tobacco in the hand. The smell is also quite unique and puzzling.

I enjoy smoking the tobacco in its original cut although I recommend opening the tin for a little while and let some air go through those broken pieces before filling the pipe as it will save your taste buds from a little bit of the sourness or discomfort in the tongue – which, I believe, is almost inevitable in the first few puffs out of each bowl filled with this particular blend.

This has been mentioned as a starter's smoke - not so true as far as I can see. The aromas build slowly in the mouth and in a fashion more discretely than most newcomers would want to accept and I no doubt read a few comments on it that attest my claim. The chocolate flavoring makes the smoke velvety while there is definitely the taste of spirits as the bowl progresses. This blend is also just in the right proportion of perique for my taste: although I can clearly understand how the taste of liquor in conjunction with this particular tobacco in the blend might come as slightly nauseating to some. The whole flavour is finished with vague hints of fruit.

For full enjoyment, this tobacco begs for slow puffing, as slow as possible which not only makes it the more delicious – making its mild aroma come to life – but also a long lasting experience added that the peculiar cut takes a long time to burn. Smoke it indoors and nowhere else.

(http://thedailypuffer.tumblr.com/)

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)

a great aromatic tobacco with the aroma of chocolate, fruits an maybe a liquor of some kind... this is my desert tobacco when i tired of latakia blends (but not the only one). great aromatic taste is even better with every new bowl.. highly recommended!!

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

An agreeable light aromatic, which is certainly entertaining for those of us that do not regularly venture into this style of pipe weed. I rarely got the hint of chocolate and plums, as described by the manufacturer...strangely though...after reading imago's review below...I too tasted an underlying hint of holiday greenery. I believe that the combination of the peppery Perique, together with the topping/casing, provided for this. The Perique flavor is readily evident and its addition in this blend is confirmed on the K&K web site.

Recommended for a complete change of pace.

A companion infusion... Plum Sake or Japanese Umeshu...neat or on the rocks.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

I thought I had found the best easy going aromatic in Alsbo Black but this is much better. I find some aromatics tend to be too sweet and sickly and I need to balance them out by alternately smoking virginias. With Glen Piper you don't need to do this. Even though it is an aromatic it is very lightly flavoured and therefore very easy going. It is the excellent midway point between a virginia tobacco and an aromatic. Furthermore no matter how hard I puff on it it will not bite my tongue.

I really am thinking about tearing up my list of "to try" tobaccos, both aromatic and virginia and just sticking with this one it is that good. It can be smoked all day at any time of the day.

The tobacco has a sweet dried fruit smell in the tin and is a bit sticky.

Ex-cigarette smokers beware, this tobacco is that mellow it is dead easy to inhale!

A big thumbs up to Robert McConnell from me.

UPDATE - I'm dropping this to three stars having replaced it as my regular smoke with MacBaren Mixture. Whilst Glen Piper is still an excellent mild aromatic smoke it is, to coin a cliche, "one dimensional" ie a bit boring after a while.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

My first McConnell mixture, and what an excellent one! I'm not sure how I would describe the room note, but the aroma reminds me at times of dried figs (or possibly dates), and, at other times, it reminds me of how my mother's house always smells at Christmas. I suppose that "holiday-cooking-and-baking-with-an-underlying-hint-of-holiday-greenery" is a bit awkward for a description, but that's about as accurate as I can be.

What makes this a truly exceptional tobacco is that, underneath the aroma and subtle flavour associated with the topping, I detect a quality tobacco which doesn't scorch my tongue.

If you like lightly scented tobaccos, give this a try!

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

WOW!! This is great smoking tobacco! I have a cellar cabinet full of jarred and tinned tobacco. It seems I always grab this first. I smoke this with a glass of sangria on the back porch. Even my Jack Russels love the smell out of the tin. I have to keep it from them or they will eat it. Smoke is smooth with the taste of tobacco still there and a nice, not over bearing aroma. Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)

This isn't a bad tobacco. I can't taste the perique, (EDIT: OOPS! Because there IS no perique!) but the casing and the virginia work well together. This is something a Virginia lover can smoke around his wife, or the public, and not get any brow beatings. The virginia is nice and sweet, and the flavoring adds a tiny bit of bouquet, but the nice fruitiness is supplied by the virginias. It's fairly consistent through the entire bowl, though it can smoke hot if you don't take your time with it.

It's a classy smoke, but very, very mild. Somewhat rich, fairly satisfying. I'm not quite sure it's worth every penny they ask for it, but I'm surprised it's only got a few reviews. This should be a popular pipe tobacco.

If you've got good taste buds, you can taste the subtleties in this tobacco, and you'll enjoy them. If you're looking for a full-bodied smoke, I don't think this is the one pour vous.

This isn't quite my kind of thing, but I'd choose this any day of the week over a typical drug store blend.

DJM

Kentish Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kentish Piper (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am relatively new to pipe smoking and like many started with Aromatics. From there and after reading various reviews myself, I ventured into the world of trying many different blends from many different companies. Glen Piper was never in my choices because some of the reviews didn?t give it much praise. However, I had heard of it before I took to the pipe and knowing it is relatively popular, I decided to give it a go. Now. speaking from a novice point of view, and one where I was trying hard to find something I could smoke all day, I was seeking something I could rely on it if you know what I mean, something that would not send others away holding their nose, and something I would look forward to. Knowing little about blends, I did not know if this was an English, straight VA, or whatever. I had tried Scottish Cake by the same people and like that very much so I thought I would give it a go.

I was more than pleasantly surprised and I have to say that this is now my firm favorite. I don?t know if my taste buds just gel with Glen Piper, or if is because I am still a novice with many blends to try, or what? All I know is that I have just ordered several more tins and everything else I try will be judged by this. It is smooth and mild, consistent, smells very good, and I am now happy to say that this is my regular blend.

I have to give it 4 stars because of the comments I mad above.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

05/18/2006 As an aromatic smoker, I really wanted to like Glen Piper. It is a good blend, but I found nothing spectacular about it. It seemed to be at the proper moisture level when I packed it in my pipe, but it took 4 matches to get it burning. Smoked slowly to avoid the tongue bite that seemed to be lurking there, it was not a bad smoke, but not a great one either. I can see where many smoker's would enjoy this blend. It just doesn't seem to be what I was hoping for. I will finish this tin, but probably won't buy more, although I would prefer this over drug store aromatic blends. ======================================================= ========================================================

06102006 My taste for aromatics changed when I tried some of the Peterson tobaccos. I now smoke Peterson's Irish Oak, Sherlock Holmes and Old Dublin. I also smoke a medium English blend of my own creation. This is the only aromatic that interests me now, though I only smoke it on a rare occasion. Still much, much better than the vanilla and cherry yuck that I used to smoke.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a ten year aged tin of this at the bargin basement price of five bucks at the NYPS last month.The fella selling it to me thought that the seal was broken,but it was'nt.Glen Piper is a nice aromatic vaguely similar in character to Dan's Blue Note without the articficial flavor that most pure tobacco lover's dislike.It will work REALLY well for those who need a decent tasting crowd pleaser.You're really NOT aware of the VA's here.The cavendish comes through the strongest and was extra extra sweet due to the aging I'd presume.I've let a few friends sample my tin and all claimed to enjoy it... Highly recommended to the aromatic lovers out there! prep 4/4/05

purpleronald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purpleronald (16)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

It is a pleasant surprise. I prefer English/Balkan blends and I found Glen Piper to be a nice change of pace. It is 'aromatic' but not a sloppy heavily cased variety ie. GP smokes cool,smooth and dry! I have smoked McBarren's plumcake - but I prefer Glen Piper because it doesn't bite and has a bit more aromatic flavor. The aroma is natural, but for me I cannot say it is the aroma of 'dried fruit'. I can taste the 'fruity' flavor , but for me it is a darker flavor. I have no idea why it was named Glen Piper. The scent reminds me of a spicy almost orange-Christmas-like-floral-cedar flavor ie. a kind of sweetness that is carried well by the virginias... The room note is very good and if you've ever walked into a tobacco shop and smelled an overall pleasant scent...this tobacco carries the same generalized pleasant note... I think it is a bit funny how pipe tobacco blends get 'named'. Glen Piper could easily be renamed 'Christmas Cheer' or 'Tropical Island' or 'Mayberry Fruitstand'(for the C&D fans) Oh, well it's a nice change of pace. The aroma is nice - but a bit one dimensional for an all-day everyday sort of smoke...

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Glen Piper is one of the Robert McConnell lines that is supposed to represent high quality aromatics. Other blends in this group include Cherry Blossom, Black Honey and Kentucky Nougat. These blends rate as quite good, pretty good and good (respectively). So, I was expecting something better than the usual bland aromatic. This is a little better than your run-of-the-mill bulk aromatic, but not enough to make me buy more of it. Pretty generic, no tobacco flavor. Disappointing.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about this Glen Piper. It has an odd tasting fruit topping that isn?t unpleasant, but I feel that it is used to hide the mediocre quality of the underlying Virginia leaf.

I found that I preferred to rub this out a bit further for a better burn, though it can just as easily be smoked as-is from the can. Moisture content was quite good as well. Rubbed out, it packed well into my narrow Va pipes with ease. It burns well and is easy to keep lit, a major plus for the newer pipester.

Initially, the fruit topping dominates. As you progress through the bowl, the topping seems to burn itself out, and the natural flavors of the tobacco begin to show through. The Cavendish blends well enough with the Va, but neither really has the gumption to take the lead. The Cavendish probably saves the day, as I really don?t believe that the Va could make it on its own. If not for the disappearance of the fruity topping, the smoke would be completely monochromatic.

I had a teacher in high school by the name of Glen Piper who had quite an influence on me, and I have fond memories of him. Too bad I can?t say the same for this Glen Piper. Maybe as a ?stepping stone? from aromatics to Va?s ? but even then, I think it would become tiresome fairly quickly. I can?t see this blend holding anybody?s interest through the whole 100g can ? 50g would be pushing it.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Soft, elegant, with notes of raisins, figs and dried fruit, yet not goopy or sugary. The Black Cavendish is there alright, but it is so polite and discreet that it does not overwhelm the delicate composition of this singular blend. Definitely an aromatic, this is not a cased tobacco. The flavor?faintly sweet and bitter?has been applied (topping) with utmost discretion, so that you never lose sight of the fact you are smoking pipe tobacco. Creamy and mellow, it has a slow burning rate which makes it a delight when reading or listening to music. Dark and light browns, some in broken flake form, a bit moist in the tin, this is essentially a Virginia/Cavendish composition, thoroughly enjoyable, and never tiring. Nice and inviting room aroma, too. With Larsen?s Selected Blend No. 80, this is one of the few aromatic tobaccos I really enjoy.

Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The German blender K&K has done a another nice job with this blend. The rubbed out mix of light VAs and black cavendish have a delightful, sweet tin aroma that it also present in the taste, aftertaste and receives rave reviews with respect to room aroma. It smokes cool without any hint of bite. However, I found that any VA tobacco taste was overshadowed by the casing. Since I normally don't choose strong aromatics for this reason, I really can't criticize the blend since it is clearly marked as an aromatic on the tin. If you prefer these types of blends, give it a try. Although one of the better of the limited number of aromatics that I've tried, I'll probably only revisit this blend for situations where the room aroma is more important than my ultimate, personal pleasure.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The reason the perique cannot be tasted is the fact there is no Perique in this blend. There is enough cased cavendish though to call this a light aromatic.

Plen Piper burns cool enough, but lacks depth and is too light on the nicotine to keep this piper satisfied.

This could easily be an all day smoke for those who enjoy aromatic blends. I think Virginia lovers will feel cheated regarding true tobacco flavor. But, if light and sweet sounds good, this may be the tobacco for you.

chilihead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chilihead (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I am fairly new to smoking quality pipe tobacco so this might be of interest to someone in the same catagory. Not being hip to all of the special terms just let me say that Glen Piper has a great taste, leaves a nice sweet, fruity aftertaste. My wife enjoys the smell so she doesn't freak out when I fire this stuff up in the livingroom. I smoke this at least twice a day and more if time permits. I will ensure that I have lots in the "war chest" saved up should this blend all of a sudden dissappear.

Life goes on Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Life goes on (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

My first pass with this blend was right out of a fresh tin and was not plesant for me. The flavour was on the sour side and was unacceptable. After allowing it to dry out for a few hours my next attempt was much more plesant. This is a decent blend, however it lacks the strength and depth of flavour that I like. The room note is quite acceptable to others.

Easter Egg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Easter Egg (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nutty, no tongue bite, mild in taste and nic... Room note is not overwhelming. Although the packaging (tin with a tight flexible plastic lid i/o the rectangular tin pictured above) seems odd against the traditional all aluminium tin with a seal, it does the trick. I tend to break it down into smaller pieces and let it air for 10 minutes. Gets smoked in a smaller-volume pipe, great for an easy but tasty shorter smoke.

I do wonder if I will still like this in years to come, I understand it is being marketed as a starter-tobacco, and I am only a starter (10 months as I write this review)

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I tried this as I was told McConnells are good quality and I saw alot of good reviews here for GP. It is good, very good, I am still looking for the right pipe for this one. Fruity flavours, plums and port, a good desert baccy with a glass of vintage port as long as you haven't eaten too much...it is rich in taste and flavour. It does burn well for a aromatic and does still have a 'natural taste' to it with earthy tones. Recommend if you like dark dried fruits but dislike, cherry or blackcurrent aromatics. It is wet in tin but dries quickly...not much bite also.

Edit: Down to 3 stars, finished two tins off, it is a great baccy just misses that special extra something, buy a tin you won't be disappointed, it is a top quality aromatic. I could see this one aging well for an aromatic, praise indeed.