POTLATCH ~ the traditional Northwest Indian Celebration of Plenty. Sumptuous feasts and ritual ceremonies lasted weeks. Gifts were shared with many old and new friends. The Seattle Pipe Club’s Potlatch is just such a gift of our pipe tobacco. Enjoy this lavish mixture of seven rare ingredients: black cavendish marries with luxury burley, Cyprian latakia, bright Virginias, Turkish, Orientals and Acadian perique. Crafting the most sought-after small batch blends in America since 2007.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club

3.6
mattinski Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mattinski (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was surprised at how delectable this english is. This is definitely an extraordinary fusion or hybrid blend. I am usually a Balkan smoker (Plum Pudding for 8 years!) because the complexities from the orientals & Latakia make a smoke that changes and stays interesting thru the bowl. Potlatch is similarly complex. Curiously, Potlatch seems like it has more latakia than it actually does. The burley is a very high grade leaf that supports the latakia and enhances it in a way that I had not tasted before. To keep things spiced there is a balanced mix of perique and turkish. Potlatch also has a solid base of black cavendish which rounds out the other 6 leaf ingredients. This is a tobacco that just gets better down the bowl. A lot of tobaccos start out good but fail to finish. Potlatch has great character and is different than any blend I have smoked. I was surprised that I loved it as much as I did! I highly recommend Joe Lankford's latest creation.

Full disclosure: I am a member of the Seattle Pipe Club.

Pipe Used: small Dublin bamboo from C. Asteriou

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

How many "WOW" moments do we get when we try new blends? I've had a few: "Maltese Falcon", Frog Morton's Cellar", "Penman's Choice (simply one of the best aromatics out there)", and "Blue Balkan". Now along comes Seattle Pipe Club's "Potlatch". WOW! A blend of seven tobaccos that manage to blend and marry wonderfully. Opening the tin, I was met with odors of leather, wood, and a slight hint of chocolate. The chocolate is not a casing, but is there none-the-less (at least to my nose). The blend is easy to light and stays lit with no problems. It should be noted that I hate talking about "room note." What I find pleasant, others may say stinks (my wife for instance, "Smoking the stinky stuff again"". Like a fine cigar, I like the strong scent of a high-grade pipe tobacco. "Potlatch" has quickly become a "go-to" blend for me. I smoke it any time of the day. This is another blend that like the Club's "Plum Pudding) is going to be hard to keep in stock. I will be buying more tins and stocking up :) You should, too. I should add that when I see Perique in a tobacco, I usually avoid it (reeks havoc with my stomach). That said, the use of Perique in "Potlatch" is not overdone and adds just a hint of flavor. Well done, Seattle Pipe Club!

Pipe Used: Larry Roush Stacked Billiard

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Mottled light brown to black ribbon with chunks of black floating around, which appears to be the Cavendish. Moderately deep earthy tobacco smell in the tin with a hint of perhaps light chocolate. Cheap cardboard tin, so I'd recommend jarring this if you're going to stock up. The inside of mine was already coming apart. McClellands, C&D/GLP tins, folks! At least if you're going to age your tobaccos. These cheap Sutliff-style ones are junk.

I noticed a review of Plum Pudding recently that wondered why there was no burley in that mix because it had everything else. The writer was, I believe, going for some sort of humor but I found it interesting because this blend appears to be a ribbon version of Plum Pudding with burley added. And therein lies the difference. I think this could have been another ho-hum blend but the burley elevates it mightily. Excellent burley! Tastes like it may have been sourced from Steven Books, as it has that same old-timey nutty-sweet flavor and the scent of old... ahem... Books! Whereas I found Plum Pudding to be rather "meh", this blend really showed off the wonderful marriage of a lot of components. Often, such a foray results in a cloudy, uneven mixture but this one worked well. The latakia was condimental on top a base of Virginia and that sweet burley. The orientals and perique were in the background, particularly the perique, but both played their parts masterfully. The Cavendish provided a sweet body to the smoke and I wonder if the sweetness of the burley was due to those two components jelling together. I couldn't decide to rate this as a high 3 or low 4 but finally opted for the latter. Not a regular rotation maker but this is one is testament to Joe Lankford, the blender, while the others of his I tried were just ok. If you enjoy that old time Steve Books burley flavor and a nicely concocted stew of "underneath" flavors, this is one you should try. I found it very well done and a pleasure to smoke. A bit of nic for you Vitamin N advocates, too!

I finally cracked open one of my tins of Potlatch recently. Since it is a new blend I wanted to let it sit awhile, but after six months I just couldn't help myself and decided to find out what was inside. Man, was I ever overwhelmed (in a wonderful way) by the variety. Sweet Virginia, spicy Orientals, Latakia and Burley notes all came through without one overpowering the other. I know there is Perique in this blend but I never really felt its presence. Joe Lankford somehow added that leaf to compliment without racing to the front. One of the finest blends of this type that I have smoked in a very long time. Boy, its going to be hard to let the rest of the tins just sit and age.

Pipestud

Potlatch, another great creation out of the mind of Joe Langford, greets the nose with indication from just the scent alone that this is going to be a complex blend! The dominate scent for me, is mainly of Turkish, lightly added Latakia and a bit of sour. It’s hard to say what category this blend falls into, but I would call it an English blend. In the pipe, the flavors are complex to say the least. One moment, I taste the Turkish, then, a moment later, there is the nuttiness from the Burley as that takes over a bit. The Latakia provides a fair amount of smokiness, but is in a supporting role. I honestly don’t get much from the Virginias other than a little grassy taste. There is a little spice from the Perique and I can’t say how much Perique there is in the blend, but there is enough to know that it’s going to be a player. Add to all of that, just enough Cavendish to offer a little underlying sweetness. Toward the end of the bowl, the strength ticks up to just above medium in this creamy smoke. I don’t detect any added flavoring, rather just the Cavendish dimension. If there is something added, it is added ever so lightly. I would mainly call this a Burley, Turkish and Perique blend. But the Latakia and Cavendish add the extra dimensions that bring the blend to a whole new level. I have reached the place where, even when I think a blend is a four star blend, that I seldom find something new that I want to add to the daily rotation. I think Potlatch breaks that barrier for me. My only quibble with Potlatch is with the packaging. I am not sure that this type of a “tin” will hold up to long term, multi-year aging as it is a mixture of plastic, foil, and tin. I’m not saying that it won’t, I simply don’t know.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fine tobacco blend! The mixture is spot on without any one tobacco being too dominant and yet it interestingly intertwines like a fine orchestra. The flavors pull through from beginning to end without disappointment. The fusion of 7 different tobaccos is like someone found the DNA code of the perfect tobacco specimen. This tobacco has something for everyone and won't leave you disappointed. It will quickly weave into my regular rotation. Just when you think you might be getting it figured out, a truly good blend like this comes along and let's you know there's more to be explored. And, while you're exploring, you just upgraded your ride.

Pipe Used: La Strada Bulldog

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: P&C

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (138)

Well, all the Seattle Pipe Club blends are of high quality. And Potlach is a very much appreciated English right now. But if there is such a thing as too complex, then this might be it. Or, it could just be an idiosyncratic thing on my part but I really didn;t love this. I expected to but I didn;t. I would bet I could blind taste this and tell it was a recently developed blend. I say that because it has a certain over ambitious quality to it. For me, subjective here, there is too much Perique. And somehow there is so much going on that I cant focus on any one thing. I get a jumble of taste. To me the greatest blends...the old balkan sobranie (im old enough to remember that), or the old original Smyrna by john cotton, or some of original Dunhill blends, you get complexity but you also get a signature taste. A tobacco blenders vision if you will. Here i dont. But again, very good quality and while Im not giving it four stars it certainly could be deserving of it if your taste runs in this direction.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Not too dissimilar to Dan Tobaccos Bill Bailey. And hints at Fribourg & Treyer's Wingate Mixture. Those are older style versions but the taste is related..

JimInks (2059)

The nutty, earthy, lightly molasses sweet burley takes a small lead with able support from the other ingredients. The floral, dry, spicy, woody, earthy, lightly sweet and lightly more sour Turkish and Orientals are an ever present condiment that play above that threshold due to their richness. The smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian latakia is a secondary player at best. Tangy, vinegary ripe dark fruit and earth from the red Virginia duels with the latakia for attention. The aspects of the citrusy, grassy bright Virginia lightly whispers to the taste buds. The mostly plummy, raisiny, Acadian perique offers a pinch of spice far in the background. The brown sugar from the unsweetened black cavendish adds a smoothing sweetness. The strength level is medium, while the taste is a step past that mark. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. It won’t bite or get harsh, but does have an occasional hint of a rough edge. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a deep, though at times, lightly inconsistent flavor due to the complex interplay of the burley, Turkish and Orientals. It easily burns to ash, and doesn’t need many relights. It leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. It has a pleasantly lingering, sweet campfire after taste. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but it’s certainly repeatable, and veteran smokers may consider this to be a constant companion during their waking hours.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (134)

This is indeed an excellent English blend! And you can see that even from the tin note where a complex array of aromatic Oriental is complemented by a light Latakia touch and other notes of natural tobacco.

It is a very well balanced blend, it is complex and though I cannot discern all the constituents I can say that Latakia is there, smoky but refined and not in any way in overwhelming proportions. It is backed by sweet red Virginias and earthy Burleys with the Orientals adding a salty/sour tang. I am not sure about the Cavendish contribution but there is a peppery spiciness especially towards the end of the bowl which seems to me to be from the Perique (yes, towards the end I occasionally get a hiccup or two...).

If you like English blends, this is an excellent medium strength specimen. Not heavy on the Latakia but still for me the Dark Leaf is the protagonist along with the Orientals as they both sing on a background of the Virginias and Burleys (and Perique at the end). So this is an English both Latakia and Oriental forward with neither of them being dominant.

It’s very easy to see how this can be someone’s favorite blend: it is just excellent! It’s not going to be a personal favorite of mine though as my Latakia threshold is even lower than Potlache’s content (a thing I can remedy by adding some more Orientals to it), but this is just personal taste, nothing wrong with the blend.

Moreover it has excellent burning qualities and its strength is such that if you like inhaling the occasional puff, this blend is for you.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was worried that Potlatch may be over-blended, meaning all the different leaves meld into a bland symphony.

Pleasantly no, this is a jazz sextet and when you pay attention you can focus on a single type of leaf. It packs and burns well tastes great, the Burley is high quality nutty and sligtly rich, often I find Burley lacking age with shallow fermentation resulting in alkalinity; pH tongue bite.

The Latakia is in the background like an apt rhythm section, keeping the groove all the way through.

All in all a very pleasant blend not too demanding, Uncle Nic does not crash the party and make a boor of himself. Almost a cruise-control blend: pack, light and enjoy, a nice sojourn from my robust English and Oriental regimen.

I like how romantic and poetic all reviews are. I don't have that ability but I hope I will through time. I suspect it to be because I still know nothing, or at least not much or not enough to be able to discern smells and tastes.

That being said, I really liked the tin aroma. I found it quite earthy but still fresh and pleasant, not old dirt. The tobacco comes packable straight from the tin so I didn't need to dry it a little beforehand. I found it very easy to pack, light and keep lit throughout the bowl. The taste is very strange, and to me, hard to describe. Probably because it has a bit of everything in it. Definitely an English blends with the Latakia, which is, although present, not overpowering. It has a touch a Fall in the Forest, these are the words that came to my brains. It just rained and the forest is resting and rejoicing from it. It shares the precious drops of water to all plants and trees present.

I'll come back at it, definitely.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Seattle Pipe Club - Potlatch.

I've wanted to smoke this for ages!

The tin contains a coarse cut mixture, not just a simple ribbon, and includes about every shade of tobacco! The moisture's a winner, so on we go:

Complex, this describes the taste. I get zero added flavours, it's natural tobacco all the way. The Latakia leads for the initial part, until about a quarter of the way in. After this point the flavour develops a fuller taste: the Oriental/Turkish, Burley, and Perique become equal in volume to the Latakia. I struggle to notice much Virginia and black Cavendish; I think they find it hard to compete with the strength of flavour from the others. The mechanics from Potlatch can't be faulted, but if a bowl's puffed too forcefully it can bite. Although, as tongue-bite affects everyone differently, it may not bite you!

I like the room-note, and the nicotine from it feels quite strong.

Seattle Pipe Club - Potlatch? Highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef; Friday pipe

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (97)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This would be the result of tossing everything under the kitchen sink into the gumbo. Open the tin and your nose doesn't know where to start. You'll find all the flavors you come to expect in an English, as well as some sharp spicy Oriental, some hidden sweetness, and cache of nutty Virginia lurking below. I was eager to dive in.

As a novice, I wasn't sure what I was tasting inside the fire. It kept changing on me like an ever dissolving gobstopper candy. I liked it. Midway through the bowl things settled down and I was on the Oriental side of the tracks.

Because I tend to hot box the pipe when I am smoking I can be sensitive to blends with bite, and this one can be aggressive in this category. For this reason I would likely not buy it again and for me it's 2 stars, but most smokers ought to give it puff and so it gets 3 stars from my telescope.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 5/31/2016

I just finished a sample given me at the most recent Chicago show. Unfortunately, the sample only gave me two full bowls of this one. It was enough to fall in love with the blend and put it on the TAD list for future purchase of a few tins.

This is one of those blends that is hard to characterize as some may call this an American English blend, some may call it a Scottish blend while others will simply call it a lat blend. Whatever you call it, it is a high quality latakia blend that includes burley. The burley is the key to this blend as it is high quality and incredibly flavorful. There is a fantastic nuttiness to this blend that may be influenced by some nutty orientals as well.

In any case, I would put this up on top of nearly all the Scottish blends or American English blends that I have tried to date; however, with only two bowls I feel it would be irresponsible of me as a reviewer to drop four stars on this one now. I am leaving this at three and will revisit after I have had a chance to get into a full tin of this.

UPDATE 11/21/2017

Well, I finally got the opportunity to smoke a full tin of this I just finished last week at deer camp. After spending more time with this, I found the orientals to have a much stronger place than I first detected. There is many oriental flavors in this blend, one of which, is distinctively yenidge which has been winning me over lately with its wonderful sidestream making the taste much more palatable for me.

This is a pretty complex blend and if you like shifting and changing flavors, this is the blend for you. I am adding a star to this one as it is truly deserving of a fourth star.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

What a treat!

I have tried nothing like it. An extremely pleasant Cavendish, perfectly paired with a sweet Virginia, dominates a mild yet complex mix of tobaccos. The Perique and Latakia stay in the back without taking over but with ample room to show off their best qualities. I can only assume the Burley is responsible for tying everything together and deliver an effortless burn.

I cannot emphasize how pleasantly mild this blend is. Try it!

A tale of two halves for me. In the first half I get mostly Burley, Latakia, and Oriental. This gives me smoky wood, a slight sourness, and a nutty earthiness. Only a hint of sweetness at this point. In the second half the fruitiness and spice of the Perique join in shortly followed by the sweet hay of the Virginias. The Black Cav adds a little more sweetness. The first half isn't much to my liking as it's a bit dull. It livens up nicely in the second half and becomes a very pleasant smoke. I guess with the long list of components, it's not surprising that it would take a while for the character to develop, but I have some trouble waiting for it to do so. 2 stars for me.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)

I finally get it. Needs to be sipped slowly and gently to really get the delicate mixture. My revelation bowl was from an opened tin jarred for over a year. The first time trying it, it was way too complex for me - I was mostly a Latakia lover. Now it seems to have settled down perfectly and it is a delicious, still complex but in a good way smoke. I hope Deception Pass does this too - I am not a fan of it for now.

Pipe Used: Peterson lovat

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Purchased From: West Coast Pipe show

Bartimeo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bartimeo (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Potlach. I can not add any better comments to this lis mix described here. I subscribe to the harmony of the 7 tobaccos. I abide in saying that the burley is the master key. Latakia underlies with a minimal and precise dose of oriental. Virginia and Perique in the background. Finally the Black Cavendish brings its slightly sweet bottom. Four stars. Blessed be God who gives sublime moments of pleasure.

Pipe Used: Comoys

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (104)

A blend that I personally love and one that defies classification in my collection. I put off trying this one for some time. The reviews lavished praise on it, but with so many component tobaccos involved I couldn't see how it wouldn't end up a cacophonous mess. Boy was I ever wrong! This blend is amazing!

The abundance of tobacco flavors seem to meld together harmoniously, while at the same time the overall profile is constantly morphing, waxing and waning. So even though the tobaccos weave together so well, you still quite often get individual flavors popping to the forefront before soon melting back into the crowd. Love it! The burley and Virginia are most often noticeable...both of impeccable quality and sweetness. The latakia plays in the background lending it's smoky spice to everyone. And the perique and Orientals throw in some pungently sweet & sour notes from time to time.

Definitely a uniquely enjoyable creation, exceptionally balanced. Having quickly smoked through a couple 50g tins I'm wishing I'd had a couple 8 oz. tins instead. On the whole, I'm quite impressed with SPC & Joe Lankford. If it wasn't for pipesandcigars, I may not have had the pleasure to experience their work. Thanks guys, keep up the great work!

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (58)

Wow! Complex, but nothing overwhelms here. With so many different tobacco leafs, you might think there would be too much going on. Not with this one. Slightly smoky, slightly sweet, slightly nutty. Run, don't walk to get some of this. Highly recommended.

Updated 4/12/16 This has really started to grow on me and with a few months of breathing, it seems to have gotten more creamy. I hate to say this, for fear of turning away the English smokers , but I put this in an "American style" of tobacco, but a real good one. I've bought more

updated 5/17/2016 Changed this to 4 stars , it's a creamy, "meaty" strong smoke. Very satisfying. this really reminds me of GLP's Caravan , but it's smoother.

Original review: I really think most experienced smokers will like this. On the positve side, it comes with a full 2ozs., at perfect moisture that packs and lights perfectly. The initial light and any relights are flavorful and creamy, however the smoke turns "muddy"after a short while. The Burley and Cavendish are not major players that stand on there own but do make a creamy base, however, they do seem to mute the perique and Orientals. I'm especially sensitve to "Burley tongue bite" and this does nip me . The tobacco has pleinty of "N" kick and would be nice after a big meal or single malt .

I could be a buyer again, and I think many would like this blend, so I gave it 3 rather than 2 stars.

Pipe Used: osark maple/MM cob

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks? 4months open

Similar Blends: GLP Caravan with Cavendish.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (82)

Another of the bombing gifts.

It strikes me as being plum pudding with burley. It is as good, and easier to work with than plum pudding is. Nice ribbon that packs and burns well. The burley may be what mellows this blend out. It sort of rounds off the stronger edges that the plum pudding has.

Overall, I like it it. It's a bit more of a go to blend than its counterpart because of it ease of prep. I guess it is to be expected from the SPC that their tobaccos would be outstandingly well done for the most part. I bought some more of this, and some of the Seattle evening, which I plan to get into soon.

Pipe Used: IMP meer

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Plum pudding.