Initially blended and pressed for a club, No. 8 Slice is a stout Virginia and perique flake with added burley. Spicy and complex with full flavor and a cool, even burn.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.9

Mottled brown crumble flake in the style of Watch City's Slices. Breaks apart very easily for rubbing but care should be taken not to rub too much, as the crumble can block the draft hole. I enjoyed this best by cutting the flakes to bowl size in a tall slender bowl and simply standing them up. Loaded nice and dry, this method produced an easy light and a particularly mellow but robust smoke.

Called "stout" by Peretti but I found this more medium. The Virginia was the main star, followed by the burley. The perique was noticeable but not strong, but I should mention again that my sensitivity to perique is less than to most tobaccos. The perique was mildly peppery and most noticed in the snork and in the nose when this was smoked in a full bent. The Virginia was robust with a delicious earthiness and most of what sweetness this had seemed to come from the burley. Smoking this alongside Peretti's #333 indicated that the burleys were very similar. And that's a good thing! This blend was very tasty with a lot going on - at the upper end of the complexity scale. Dark fruits, various nuts and the whole assortment of breads from a light wheat to a heavy rye were present and constantly evolving. As with Watch City, Peretti is one of the few "local" blenders left that make their own blends. Of what I've smoked so far, this is Peretti's finest achievement... but more to sample! If you enjoy a basic-type blend but with a ton of complexity and full flavor that goes on for days, you have to give this one a try!

JimInks (2036)

The very nutty, earthy, lightly bready burley also provides a little molasses, a few drops of cocoa, and a couple splinters of wood. It competes with the lightly tangy, dark fruity, mildly citrusy, lightly earthy, hay/grass-like Virginia for attention, though the Virginia does form the base of the blend, and is the lead component. Most of the sweetness comes from the burley. The raisiny, plumy, spicy perique is an important condiment, though the spice note is not very strong, but it is constantly noticeable. I think there’s a touch of a cocoa topping in play as well. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges. Well balanced with some complexity, you’ll notice most every aspect in every puff. Burns cool, clean and a little slow with a deep, fairly rich, consistent flavor from start to end. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can almost be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker.

Faustus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Faustus (2)

DK's review was very nearly spot-on, though I still noticed some differences which I suppose are inevitable when two different people smoke two different batches, even if it is austensibly the same blend. I'll mention that my "No. 8 Slices" came on the moist side—very unusual for Peretti tobaccos in my experience. This resulted in noticeable condensation at the bottom of the bowl. But what flavors!

The flavor evolved and changed significantly throughout the bowl. Mid-bowl was pleasantly sweet to me, the Virginias clearly dominating the show, accentuated nicely by some raisin/dried plum notes I attribute to the Perique. The bread and hay flavors mentioned by the other review(s) were more noticeable to my by the bottom third, and the Burley nutiness came through more there too.

I found that this smoked best with long, slow pulls. In spite of a fairly rapid cadence of long draws, it smoked very cool for me. I am usually an English smoker, and my favorite Peretti flake is the "Cambridge," but I will definitely be keeping this in my rotation for moods when I want something different.

Pipe Used: Savinelli bent billiard churchwarden

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti's

Epoch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epoch (3)

This tobacco has a full body with an excellent sweet/sour tang and slight pepper on the retrohale. Relatively one dimensional, in that the sweet/pepper riding on burley body and mouthfeel stays from initial light to about the final quarter of the bowl. Things flatten out after that, so I'm usually done. But the first 3/4 of the bowl is so good it's no big deal. It has more body than most other VaPers I've smoked and the burley in this holds the VaPer up so well that the blend wouldn't be the same without it.

The first oz of this that I smoked was pretty flat. The pouch note and taste of the leaf when just nipped between the teeth was so good though that I was really hoping that there could be more in the smoke, too. What finally did it was the dry time. Pack a bowl the night before or even the morning before. Let it chill out until the next day - late morning. Smoke. Enjoy.

I pack some of the bigger flake bits in the bottom of the bowl and then pile in the fully rubbed out granules. The flake acts as the filter to keep the granules from clogging the pipe. I tap the bowl to settle the tobacco in, gravity feed style. Top up with another small pinch of the fully rubbed out granules and thumb that down very lightly - VERY lightly. Whenever the flavor thins a bit I'll tamp (again very lightly) while drawing on the pipe. As soon as that sweet/spicey flavor comes back that's where I'll stop.

Also, I've found that I can't even think about smoking this in the dog days of summertime. With the humidity in the 90%+ range it doesn't matter how long this tobacco sits out; it's going to be too wet and it's going to taste like steam. Even if it's dried in advance and stored in a jar. Smoke it with that much moisture in the air and my mouth is going to pay for it.

Once the humidity drops down to a comfortable range, though, it's about perfection for me. So sweet/sour it makes my mouth water during the smoke. I have a sweet tooth, so I realize this blend might not be for everyone, but damn... It works for me.

Similar Blends: If you started with No. 8 Slice and took out the burley, then added orientals and latakia, you'd have Mississippi River. I swear. If I want an English version of this flavor base I smoke Mississippi River. If I want a VaPer+, but hold the smokey, I smoke No 8 Slice. I love both blends and both make me want to smoke too damn much tobacco for my pocketbook to deliver.

Highly recommended for both VaBur and VaPer fans.

Pipe Used: CG cob, Tinsky Canadian

Purchased From: LJ Peretti

Similar Blends: SPC Mississippi River.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, this is the second review of the five Peretti samples given to me by my nephew from the order of samples he placed not too long ago from Peretti. So far this has also been the favorite of a very enjoyable tasting experience thus far.

My main knock on Park Square was a lack of nicotine, well that was certainly not the case with this one. This blend was fantastic and I must say I enjoyed every bowl that I smoked. There were about 8 or so as the sample was of good size. A good solid Vaburper. The Virginias are pretty gold by color and are also pretty earthy. The Burley is there with nutty sweetness, but the nutty sweetness seems to be a little too strong to come from Burley alone.

One should not suppose this to be an overly strong blend in this genre either, but I did find it to have more heft than other Virginia heavy blends in this genre like LBF or DDNR. But I also found it to be right behind the more Burley Heavy creations like OJK and BF3.

The contents list a cocoa/chocolate flavoring added. I do not doubt this to be the case, but this topping, whatever it is, is very light. If it is chocolate and was anything but light, I am sure I would not be able to stand it as that flavor note repulses me. It is not too much unlike Sam Gawith's chocolate flake in this regard and the fact that the Virginias are the dominant leaf in both blends, but where that one has a touch of Latakia, this has some perique and a decent amount that works very well with the topping.

As I said, I really enjoyed this one and intend to buy more of it when I finish up these samples and am ready to put my own order in.

Similar Blends: SG Chocolate Flake.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (160)

Another sample from my dear british friend! What a lovely presentation this tobacco has...this is a "Crumble Cake FLAKE"...the flakes aren't very dense, you can crumble them in a Krumble Kake fashion with your fingers to fine crumbles...its a joy to handle his tobacco, really! Reminds me of "Tom´s Plug" by Motzek, which is also a "Krumble Kake Plug", but different in taste tho.

The unburnt aroma is just as beautiful as the presenation and handling! Fruity-sour, peppery-spicy with some fermented quality to it. A tad moist, but can be smoked right away and the impatient Va/Bur/Per fan I am, I did pack a bowl without letting it dry.

Takes the fire well and instatly starts to build up a delicious aroma. King Crimsons Epitaph was underscoring this lovely aroma in the background. Sweet nuts, stoved fruits, raisins, pepper and spice. With a somewhat toasty, bready quality to it. Some earthiness joins in to give it some more body. The interplay of toast-y nuts, fruits, raising and tangy, peppery spice just works for me... very delicious! I just had some Motzek Strang and was disappointed I wouldnt get to smoke more of it...LJ Peretti isn't 100% the same, but comes pretty close and is a very worthy replacement.

A wonderful blend from start to finish. Presentation, handling, tin note, aroma when smoked... this is a rounded smoking experience and an enrichment for any Va/Per and Va/Bur/Per Aficionado. I also might see Burley enthusiasts find joy in this. 4/4 stars and any accolades I can give to it!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Corn Cobs

Similar Blends: worthy replacement for the discontinued, Motzek - (Curly) Strang.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

An excellent Vaburper. The virginia is the star, which might resourced from Maclellan with slghtly vineger note. The buley is supportive and add nutty sweetness to it, and the perique contribute plum and minimal chocolate hint. One best blend I find in Peretti's creations.

Burley and Virginia in broken form, and Perique added. Not nearly as deep in Burley flavor but still delivered a nice little spanking of the stuff. The Virginia was what played first fiddle. Not sure how I felt about the Perique presence. It was noticeable but don't really believed it made the blend better than it would have been without it.

Original Big Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Original Big Tex (4)

Holy Mary, Sweet Mother of Jesus! This stuff is AMAZING! I recently placed for first order with LJ Peretti when I saw the description of Blend 52 that sounded interesting. Not being able to order just one of their well regarded tobaccos, I picked another to add to my order. Upon opening the paint can of No. 8 Slices, I was immediately welcomed by the periquey goodness of its contents. Not being able to stand the torture another second, I rubbed out a slice and packed my brand new Icarus briar, put fire to it and nearly drowned in my own saliva it is so good! I am not good at describing all of the flavors, but I do know a great tobacco when I smoke it, and this is one!

Pipe Used: Icarus Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh off the truck!

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti