A high grade standard, cavendish cut Kentucky burley, refined by heat seasoning along with a small amount of Virginia. It offers big, uncomplicated burley flavor, yet is soft and smooth. A versatile blending component, it is also an excellent, full-flavored smoke by itself.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company

2.0
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

McClelland X90 Burley is a ribbon of medium and light Browns with a fairly neutral jar note of faint and nondescript sweet. The tobacco is springy and packs well. Moisture content is just right. The charring and true lights bring a mild, soft sweetness with a hint of basswood and a touch of molasses that asserts as the bowl progresses. Once past the lighting stage, there is a distinct toastiness along with flavors of molasses, a light parchment bordering on cardboard, and a hint of salt.

This blend reminds me somewhat of Pipeworks & Wilke's Nut Brown Burley, though Nut Brown is smoother smoking and more flavorful. While Nut Brown will nip a bit if pushed, X90 will bite hard. For that, only two stars as a stand-alone blend. But I'm sure this would be a good mixer for the home blender. Burns very well, cool and dry, with nary a relight. Room note is slightly sweet, toasty and, well, pipey.

Predominate flavor is of a toasty Black Cav with a mild vanilla flavor. Virginias are hard to discern. There is an underlying note here that makes this mildly unpleasant to me and it's a dusty, almost stale flavor. It's very mild, but noticeable, especially in the first half of the bowl. I can't recommend this. There are much better similar smokes out there at a better price.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns well.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Patriot

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

McClelland - No. X90 American Cavendish Burley.

I can't see any twigs or clumps in my pouch, it's a blend made of medium size, medium brown, ribbons. There's a minor sweetness to the unlit aroma. The moisture's good.

If I'm honest any Virginia flavour eludes me completely, the smoke to me tastes simple: sweet, nutty, rustic, Burley. I'd be inclined to say a very mild, sweet, topping's been used: caramel or honey maybe? X90 gives a cool smoke but can burn a bit fast. I get no tongue bite.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant.

X90? I quite like it as a change of pace. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (151)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This sweet aromatic is topped with enough chocolate additives to get your fingers sticky when nabing a pinch. I gotta admit it though, the wafting Cocoa Puffs aroma gets your mouth watering. So grab your spoon (er. lighter) and dig in.

I prefer a bit more beef to my ribbon cuts and was not overly happy to be packing fish flakes into a bowl. I find wafer-flat cuts to burn inconsistently and quickly, and they always feel cheap to me. X90 begins with a soft, drier, lightly sweet smoke that is pleasant to puff. It became a little unassuming and bitter midway and it fell out of favor with me by bowl's end.

I would conclude that it smells fantastic, but the taste is less so. It did begin to grow on me, by the end of the bag, and I can say it was ultimately OK.