The basic tobaccos are broadly akin to those of Red Rapparee. Carefully apportioning of the quantities of seasoning leaf brings about a dark full bodied mixture. A notable tobacco.

BrandRattray
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste

3.2

A full bodied English with plenty of latakia offering a slight sweetness along with the smokey, woody qualities you'd expect from Cyprian latakia. The Virginias are earthy and grassy with some fruitiness, and are the ground base for the other players in the mixture. The Orientals/Turkish offer a tasty spice and dry, campfire flavor for a nice balance. The extra flavor dimension from the black cavendish is welcome because it's not overused nor does it conflict with what smokers generally look for in English blends. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns at a moderate pace with a few relights and a consistent, fairly smooth taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl.Has a decent after taste. Not an all day smoke, but a filling, pleasing friend to relax with after a nice meal.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Delicious accompaniment to the Red Raparee. Fuller, darker tobaccos overall with a generous dose of Latakia. The tin aroma is not dominated by Latakia, but is decidedly smokier than the RR. Lots of earthy, fermented smells from the orientals too.

It lights with ease, and burns just as well, evenly and fairly slow, right to the bottom. The flavour is full, spicy, with a pleasant smokiness well backed up by the orientals. The flavour gets richer toward the bottom of the bowl, and the sell is wonderful, especiallly whenm smoking out of doors in the crisp winter air.

Where RR is a smoke for the autumn, this is a tobacco well suited to winter, the cold air brings out the best flavor and aroma. I cant think of many things more pleasurable than smoking this while walking home from the pub through the snow covered Hertfordshire countryside. Strongly reccomended to lovers of Latakia.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is Rattray's best English blend. Much more refined than Red Raparee, it contains a hint of sweetness and changes character as the bowl is smoked.

If you enjoy a hearty palate pleasing latakia blend, then this is for you. If, on the other hand, latakia overwhelms you in large doses, then avoid this one. Not real strong but full of flavor. And the smell right out of the tin is heavenly.

The first word that comes to mind when I smoke this is "luxurious". I can picture the royalty in Scotland smoking this stuff, before breakfast and after, as they lounge in their smoking rooms.

Dark black with streaks of chocolate brown, this is the heavier companion to Red Rapparee in the sense that the tobaccos are the same. However, the quantities of each are different, and the result is a heavier, richer smoke with fewer subtleties than RR. It smokes cool and sweet and has a hearty flavor that goes well after dinner... or after a big lunch. This is one tobacco that demands a relaxed state in order to appreciate its robustness. No limp wrists in this blend. Since Dunhill 965 has made itself scarce in the U.S, this will take its place in my rotation, next to Red Rap. Very sensuous tobacco with great rich flavor.

If you like full flavor and depth, this is one you can't afford to miss. The K&K version may be different than the older one, but it stands on its own.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Appearance: Mostly dark, some ribbons and some random pieces.

Aroma: Very full Latakia aroma with goodly amounts of darker Va, and black Cavendish (unsweetened). Some Turkish in the background.

Packing: Seemed to pack best in larger pipes, with a light touch needed.

Lighting: Took flame readily when not overpacked

Initial flavor: Very big, rich and mellow. The Cavendish led the parade with its smooth nutty taste, the Latakia lent it a smokiness that was just right..

Mid-bowl: No single flavor dominated the mixture, but all of them weighed in to form a nicely layered, complex, undemanding smoke. Cool at all times, can be enjoyed alone or with any beverage of your choice.

Finish: No surprises at the end, just a bit more Latakia presence.

Summary: This was one of my favorites in the pre-Danish days, I smoked it almost every evening. I?m really happy that it?s been restored so close to the original.

This blend is tasty, mellow and balanced. I find it to be a little milder than I think some of the reviewers do. The black cavendish keeps it from being harsh, and I can pick up the smoky latakia, the sweet Virginia and the spicy orientals in about that order of dominance. It works well, although for my palate, I would like a little more body.

This one is easy to recommend if you are interested in a smooth and somewhat refined English flavor profile. I found this to be an easy smoke. It did not burn hot, and it was easy to keep lit.

Cost per ounce is somewhat high if you pay attention to these things, but it might be worth having some around.

I really like this blend. It's got a little something special to it that makes it stand out for me. The Latakia and the fine Orientals lead the way in nice balance. Next is the Black Cav followed by the mildly sweet Virginias. It's the way the Black Cav fits in that makes this special for me. It's interaction with the Latakia creates a wonderful flavor. I just love it. It's really weird that this same Black Cav is the reason I didn't care for Marlin Flake. I guess it just fits better here. Medium bodied with medium to full flavors. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

Oooooooooh yes, this is good.

Deep, dark, murky and rich, with glorious depth of flavour and complexity. The initial plume that came out of the bowl reminded me of the Samovar which I am a huge fan of, and the tinge of sweet from the Black Cavendish made this seem slightly decadent.

The bowl got warmer and some of the Orientals mixed with the VA's, and the Latakia took a bit of a back seat, and the VA is high quality and offers a nice accompaniment to the Black Cavendish.

The smoke billowed, it took almost no work, and I sat and enjoyed for almost an hour.

Sublime, a true gent of a smoke, high recommended.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice tin note. The smokiness of the Latakia seems to be the predomininant aroma, which I absolutely love. Nice dark ribbons with the odd light ribbon strewn here and there. Moisture is perfect right out of the can. Very nice and mellow smoke with no re-light. Wonderful flavour when rolled around the mouth and slowly exhaled from the nose. You taste and smell the beauty of this blend. A nice evening smoke worth trying.

=2015-07-31 Update=

One year in a mason jar with only a few openings for a smoke found that this is one of those tobaccos that mellows and gets better with age. A wonderful smoke.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's

Age When Smoked: New 100g tin

Purchased From: Jades smokers corner

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This is yet another fine offering from Rattray. The blend is expertly mixed with fine ingredients that ends as a great mixture worthy of the pipe smoking gods. The moisture level is just perfect upon opening. The tin note and room note are just wonderful. This blend lights and stays lit with little effort. The nicotine level is on the lower end of the spectrum, so it should not be too harsh for anyone. It burns down to a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. Highly recommended.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Black Mallory presents as a wide range of nearly black through lighter brown ribbons in the traditional 100 gram, cylindrical Rattray's tin. The nose is of delicious, smokey Latakia aromas framed in sweet Cavendish with just a hint of Virginia tang.

This blend arrives at an optimal moisture level and is smokable right out of the tin. The charring light brings a puff of Cavendish sweetness balanced by some drier, Oriental flavors. It should be noted that the Cavendish on display here is nothing like that commonly used in damp, messy American aromatics. Rather, this is traditionally, naturally sweet black Cavendish that pulls together the more robust tobaccos into a smooth, seamless package.

That said, this is a subtly sweet, smoky, woody blend that I would enthusiastically recommend as an introduction to English blends. Black Mallory is softly sweet without ever being cloying, the Virginias are smooth and biteless, the Orientals provide a nutty, woody background, and the Latakia is deep and rich and yet buffered nicely by the unflavored Cavendish. There are deep bass notes here nicely tempered by the Cavendish, making Black Mallory one of the more accessible Latakia blends. A smooth and dry smoking medium English that I find to be an excellent blend that manages to provide dark, smokey Latakia notes perfectly balanced between the Cavendish and Virginias. The mouthfeel is deep, rich and creamy.

Dedicated English smokers and Latakiaphiles may be disappointed. But for an accessible medium English that provides plenty of body, or an introduction to the genre, Mallory is a sweetheart.

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (13)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

One of my all time favorites english mixtures. Nice orientals backing up a generous portion of latakia and hints of dried figs on the cavendish. It gains strength on the middle of the bowl and left only grey ashes.

BeardedBen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeardedBen (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

My go to tobacco since MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian is not available here anymore and when I feel fancy enough to buy it (it's only sold in really pricey - in comparison - 100g tins around here). I've not been able to buy Red Raparee around here but when I tried it abroad, I can now second the notion that the two go along great (Red being a hint less complex but interesting for different reasons). As for this tobacco: The Latakia is prominent but not overwhelming, the other components fit in rather nicely, it burns evenly and not too hot in the right pipe (I've found it prefers bigger bowls to really shine). The only downside is that the Cavendish is a hint too sweet for me and the Orientals are a bit less spicier than I thought them to be on my first try from what I was told on here and by acquaintances, but it doesn't really harm the experience much. What it doesn't do is give me the needed hit, I've found myself sucking on the pipe like a toddler on his bottle when I was not careful on the first dozen bowls. I have become used to that though and have made it a habit to smoke others for the N-hit and just smoke Black Mallory for the pure enjoyment, which works kinda well. All in all it's the best of its genre I have found without having to resort to order MacBaren HH VS online, which is legally questionable and a general pain in the arse in this country anyway.

Strength: Mild to Medium. The tobacco itself is silky and mellow to smoke and as someone with my tolerance you don't smoke it for the nicotine, really. Not necessarily a bad thing, just adding it for people who are used to stronger blends.

Flavoring: None detected. The Latakia and the Orientals do their thing well enough to make any kind of topping unnecessary. If there is any flavoring, I have neither noticed it nor do I care.

Taste: Full. Cavendish a hint too sweet for me, Orientals could use a bit more spiciness, but oddly specific personal preference aside, the taste is awesome still. Accompanies whatever else you do with your taste buds pretty well, and due to the silky and mellow smoke it doesn't really "alter" other tastes, just enhances or contrasts them by a neat dose of Latakia smokiness. Lovely stuff.

Room note: Tolerable to Strong. While I personally, as a card-carrying Latakia hound, would put Very Pleasant just for the heck of it, this is called the wife rating for a reason, and my SO hates the stuff (as do some friends). It doesn't stink up the place as much as others of the genre, but most certainly not for lack of trying.

Overall Rating: three stars. keep in mind that is a rather good score for me, I only 4-star tobaccos that have pleased me in every way possible, the details that made me not give 4 this time are minute to the common reader of this review and based on personal preference. Can recommend it to everybody who enjoys these kinds of blends and doesn't mind a little less strength.

EDIT: I have been asked by acquaintances (whom I told about finally reviewing this tobacco on TR.com) and I'll tell you what I told them: This review of course concerns the Kohlhase & Kopp version; I have tried the original quite a few years prior to this one (talking about decades here, Rattray's is produced in Germany for more than 20 years now iirc) and yes, it would have maybe warranted 4 stars, but as memory is a fickle thing and I can't get my hands on any vintage tin to accurately review it here and now, take that info as you wish though. Even if the latter were the case, Latakia loses much of its appeal with (that much) age so why bother in the first place. All rambling aside, K&K are doing an excellent job; don't think of this edit as a bad thing, just added it because I've been asked.

Pipe Used: DrPlumb Club No8, MM corncob, custom pearwood

Age When Smoked: new; 25g aged a year, improved ever so slightly

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to smoke Black Mallory often and for whatever reason stopped about three years ago. I came across some from 2010 and after a couple of pipes I remembered why. BM is a good quality medium English blend that in some ways reminds me (distantly) of some of the Dunhill blends. It has richness to it, maybe from the addition of the Cavendish, but I'm not sure. It packs with ease, smokes cleanly and offers a solid English taste that any English lover would enjoy. BM is a little lower on the “N” scale than the Dunhill blends. It has a little complexity, but in the current world filled with more English blends than ever, it doesn't stand out for me. Will I buy more? Yes. Is it worth my daily rotation? No. Give it a try; it's worth a tin, especially with the reduced quality 965 that is now on the market. Recommended.

UPDATE: I was lucky enough to get my hands on a tin of the original BM from the late 60's/early 70's and it was just EXCELLECT! Although the flavor has changed with time, it offered a chance to get an idea of what the original blender intended. If the rare tin comes your way, GRAB IT!!!

Strong None Detected Full Strong

Perhaps I am more used to the Dunhill/ Sobranie/Sullivan Powell type of English mixtures, but I find it very difficult to rate and appreciate the Rattrays´ varieties. Although they seem to use top grade leafs Rattrays? Oriental/Latakia mixtures tend to be on the dry, harsh side, and oddly spicy to my taste (quite the contrary to their Virginias, which I find not only exceedingly palatable, but smooth and very well tempered). Now, of the Rattray?s Oriental family, Black Mallory and Highland Targe seem to me an exception.

Mineral and strong I can only think of Black Mallory as an upgraded, rounder version of the old Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture. BM is less ?aromatic?, but strangely enough deeper in flavour, and much more defined in the Latakia-Oriental spectrum. The Virginias here are virtually non existent, or in any case they are of such variety that they merely add a whisper to the final flavour, leaving the centre stage to the stronger Orientals.

I agree with Pipestud in that this is a more refined tobacco than Red Raparee. Indeed it its stronger, but I find it is less pungent and astringent. There is a certain ?nature? quality---a zest almost grassy, earthy and humid (maybe the steam sensation referred to by tillmanj?)--- that sets it apart from most English blends.

Full but not exactly heavy, it burns very nicely and has a long lasting, bitter-sweet and smokey flavour, that invites you to meditate or to contemplate things with a certain aloofness. The only other tobacco that slightly reminds me of RBM is Dunhill?s London Mixture, albeit the latter in a much more milder and restrained fashion. If Black Mallory has a drawback is its jealousness: once you smoke a couple of bowls, it will be some days before other tobaccos taste like something. An excellent choice for the full bodied Latakia smoker.

This is a fine Scottish blend, a term, that is about as problematic the term English blend. In my mind it is standard Latakia blend that also incorporates some Black Cavendish or burley. I am not sure and I really don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but I do know that Rattray makes a lot of them. I have only tried this one and Jock's Mixture. I liked Jock's Mixture better than this one, but that is not to say that this one is a bad blend by any means.

I really did enjoy this one as well. This blend has the smokiness you would want from the latakia content, that I would peg at about a medium, and the sweet nuttiness from the Cavendish and perhaps the orientals. It does not offer much in a nicotine kick, but that is pretty normal for a lat blend, in general.

It is tasty and worthwhile, particularly if you like your lats a little sweet (less sour or campfire like) or are into the American English blends (also problematic term, but in my mind these are more burley than black Cavendish) made by Cornell & Diehl.

So I will leave this one at three stars as it does fall below Jock's to me, but too good to be at a two star.

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)

This tobacco is very similar to Red Rapparee, but it it has more cavendish in it. I thought this would translate into more sweetness, but it hasn't. The Latakia tobacco is quite apparent in this blend, but I think it is more dominated by the Orientals. The strength is rather medium and it does not seem to bite. I like the RR more, but this is a good smoke too, so I am going to recommend it.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is a decent smoke, nice, mellow, sweet and smokey. A very well balanced blend and nice to smoke with a cup of coffee at relax time, not too powerful or overwhalming, just at the right balance so this blend have it's own character that each composition had "married" so well to build the taste and flavor of the smoke. The tin note is good, smokey and herbal scent smells so good when first open the tin. Is nice to pack and is not difficult to keep the light. Burn so well at my pipe and not make my pipe too hot. Smokey taste with the nice sweetness from the cavendish follows with little bit spicy and earthy from the orientals taste so good at my palate. With medium strength I really enjoy a pleasant smoke and not worried about the tongue bite. Just sip it slowly, with proper pack the draw is easy to make a great smoke and for somewhat, when I smoke this blend, it reminds me with the McClelland's Old Dog and Dunhill MM965, I found the similar sweetness and taste at this blend.

Pipe Used: Chacom Epsom

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Indonesia Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: McClelland Old Dog, Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The thing I love about Rattray's RED RAPPAREE is precisely its lack of smug Dunhillian smoothness, its fieriness, its peaty drama, its dour highlander theatricality. Wonderful to smoke while you guzzle your dad's expensive single-malt. (Glorious old memory!)

Black Mallory is much more "English" in its demeanor nobly bland. It's a lovely old English smoke alright, but I find it kind of staid. One might as well be smoking Dunhill Standard Medium, you know?

Gaius Baltar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gaius Baltar (25)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Curious, I observed that the best way to smoke is in a meerschaum pipe or in a falcon pipe with a cup covered with meerschaum. Not compacting too much can be loaded directly from the tin. It does not go out but it is better to avoid re-ignitions because they embitter the flavor. At the beginning the Latakia appears next to the Black Cavendish that gives a very intense sweet note, followed by the oriental attack. The Virginia is in the background amalgamating everything. If you smoke at low temperature that sweet smoke harmony stays well almost to the end. If the smoke is rushed, the taste of the smoke is ruined. Smoke slowly, I do it with coffee in the morning in winter. It looks a lot like 123 Mixture by R.Lewis IMHO. It is not smoke for the whole day, but you have to smoke it at least at breakfast.

Pipe Used: Falcon pipe with a cup covered with meerschaum

Age When Smoked: New from the tin

Purchased From: Duaso Tobacco Shop in Barcelona (Catalunya)

Similar Blends: Robert Lewis - 123 Mixture.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Rattray - Black Mallory (British Collection).

Over the past six months, or so, if a tobacco's reviewed and I see an older review of the blend by me that I think reads ineptly, I've been enjoying re-reviewing the blend in question. I thought this could do with re-posting, so here we go again!

The moisture can vary from tin to tin, but over the years the worst I recollect is a 'bit damp', not soaked. It's quite an equal split of brown and black, mid-size, ribbons.

The smoke: ignites easily, and requires very few re-lights. The Latakia is running the show, having a strong woodiness to it, with the Orientals taking second place. The black Cavendish lends a softness, taking the edge of any causticity from the Latakia. Virginia? I get VERY little Virginia. It burns fairly cool, without bite, but has a tendency to be a touch quick if puffed to fast.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: full.

Black Mallory? A decent blend that three stars suits well:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)

This here was part of a gun cabinet find,the tin was purchased in 1998 and found in the case sometime in 2015. The tin was bulging and when the tin was opened it opened with a load kind of popping noise and was met with a rich and smokey aroma hit me and stopped me cold! Upon closer examination there were greenish specks all through the tobacco...maybe the virginia? The whole tin was a rich and dark color and the smell...the smell made me close my eyes and smile. Campfire..or a fireplace comes to mind from the tin and once packed and flamed there was no disappointment at all! There is a smokey and pleasant spiciness sure to please any smoker.I am pleased to report that nothing resembling catsup was detected from the Virginia's.This is a rather heavy smoke so enjoy this before bed with a favorite beverage!

Pipe Used: Kirk Bosi Chuchwarden

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Nothing at all!!.

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Black Mallory is a classic example of a Scottish style blend with its mild Cavendish. A medium strength blend in the same clan as Old Dublin.RBM being more moist than POD with a thicker and rougher cut of leaf. RBM also does not carry through with as much flavor in the spice department as POD. Still a well put together blend and a must try for those that prefer their tobacco on the mild side. Cheers

Pipe Used: Peterson's Calabash and German Black Clay

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Similar Blends: Peterson's Old Dublin.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Compare to the Rattray's 3 famous exquisite Vaper/burs, their English blends seem to be caught up by plenty of new comers in the territory. Black Mallory is a decent English blend with smoky, full flavors, but falls short of complex and some depth. A bit stronger and fuller than Red Red Raparee.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been smoking pipes for a good few years now, I have a tendancy to go for latakia blends, especially ones with a dose of oriental. I didn't know quite what to expect from this blend knowing that it has black cavendish in it. I normally tend to associate black cavendish with more aromatic blends. However, Mr Rattray must've known what he was doing all those years ago when he perfected this one as it seems to complement the rest of the tobaccos seemlessly. It has the typical metallic/smoky flavour from the latakia, but is very well rounded by the VA's and orientals, burns brilliantly right from initial lighting without any drying out prior to smoking, an excellent smoke all round, four stars!

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I ordered a tin of this since it was described to me as a good English from Rattray, and similar to 965. I find it to be overdone with black Cavendish and some kind on light topping. Not what I think of as an English tobacco. Harsh and stringent at times, leaving it's mark on my tongue. This stuff does smell outstanding in the tin. Might be a good tobacco for someone moving from aromatics.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This rich and complex blend is my standby. It is without peer. It has an exotic, rich taste and a heavy smoke. This is a perfect example of a Scottish mixture (sweeter and heavier than an English, not so heavy and strong as a Balkan). The Virginias Latakia and Orientals come together with great style and flavor. The black cavendish (what makes it Scottish rather than an English or Balkan) gives it a hint of sweetness that gels the whole blend. This blend is of Edwardian opulence. I always keep at least 10 tins in my cellar just in case of a pinch in oriental supply or (horror) the brand should go like so many before it. If you have never tried Black Mallory you have never lived.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Ahhh...the Black Mallory. First smoked this in 1971. Love it then, love it now. The descriptions preceeding me are accurate as to the tobaccos present, but this is a must try for everyone. To me, its one of the great blends. Dont smoke it all day, but in the evening with a pint, or a dram ..ahhh, true enjoyment.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

I am new in the English department. I love Presbyterian, Highland Targe and my Mixture 965. Black Mallory, though, is far more interesting than the former ones.

The mixture is dominated by black leaf. Judging from the smell, I think there is quite alot unsweetened Cavendish in it, The Latakia is not very present. When lit the Latakia comes to its right; very robust.

All components in BM are so well balanced, that I have not seen or tried anything like it before. BM is friendly to the palate, nose, friends, wives etc., and people around me are asking: "what is this lovely tobacco you are smoking, Jakob"

I am normally not a Latakia-man, but BM has made me want to try other Latakia/Oriental-blends. I have stashed several tins, and now I am off to discover the famous Nightcap.

Outstanding!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Pipesolitude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesolitude (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I would recommend BM if you are looking for a full english blend that is easy to smoke and not too strong. This blend is rich in flavour. The nicotine is not very strong, you can easily smoke more than one bowl if you feel like it (unlike for example London Mixture). The tobacco is not slow burning, it is not a meditative kind of tobacco. I would say that it is stimulating but not too complex, it does not demand your full attention, and you can easily smoke away while focusing on other things.

On the negative side, the last part of the bowl tends to get moist and a bit foul, so in order not to finish the bowl on a bad note I tend to toss it away. And I recommend not to keep the tobacco in an opened tin for too long before storing it in an airtight jar, otherwise the tobacco will soon start to deteriorate and loose its flavour.

In short, this is not a overly complex tobacco, but it is rich in flavour, easy to smoke, and it does not burn super slow. These simple qualities actually makes it one of my favorite tobaccos, because most often this is precisely what you want in your pipe: a tobacco that is stimulating but not too strong, that allows you to focus on other things and that does not take forever to finish. Not a four star rate, because of the negative aspects, but, nevertheless, I highly recommended BM as an all day english blend!

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

Visually it is quite similar to Red Rapparee’s mixed cut of mostly black and red ribbons with a few brighter ribbons but with the darker leafs more predominant. Tin aroma is not what one would expect from a Latakia dominant blend, instead it has a fruity crispiness which comes from the tobaccos with no topping or casing. As smoking revealed this is not a Latakia dominant blend – ‘black’ could refer to either Latakia or Cavendish and I believe in this case it is Cavendish the referent…

The tobacco is slightly moist, could use a little drying, but generally it’s ok. It lights easily and stays lit and burns to the end.

It produces voluminous smoke which at first deceived me into thinking that it is a full bodied tobacco but it’s not. Actually I think it lacks some backbone - maybe a little more Virginia would have amended this. Black Mallory is definitely mellower than Red Rapparee with smoother mouthfeel despite its foreboding ‘blackness’. It lacks the sharpness/tang from the Turkish which characterize Red Rapparee, but I do not sense more Latakia here. I believe it’s the (unsweetened) Black Cavendish which dominates. This is backed by a little Latakia smokiness and the Turkish tobaccos add some spice but are surely on the background. Black Mallory is easier to smoke than Red Rapparee, at least to those not accustomed to the Turkish taste, but yet I find it less complex and less tasty than its sibling.

Room note is not very offensive, it has that burnt brown cake smokiness. So while Red Rapparre showcases the Turkish tobaccos, Black Mallory does the same for the Black Cavendish. To be honest I do not find many similarities between the two blends apart from tin art and tobacco presentation…

Similar Blends: Robert Lewis' Tree Mixture - both manufactured by K&K.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A pretty dicent english mixture.when you open it latakia comes out in a dominant way.packs easy might need a few relights..burns cool without much moist.if you go slow the latakia are not very prewent,you get more spicyness and a sweet base.offers though the woodyness taste in a balanced way .a pretty dicent blend with a mid nic level not to start your day.

Age When Smoked: When opened!

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Classical English Mixture with Black Cavendish. Good but not excellent. The Black Cavendish is natural, only sugar added. Overall the blend is mild in strength with a full latakia taste. The elements (tobaccos) are the same of Red Rapparee (Virginia, Latakia, Oriental, Black Cavendish) and the taste is quite similar. But it is different. If we want to compare the two from the side of the taste, we can say that Red Rapparee is more delicate, gentle, while Black Mallory is more “masculine”, unrefined. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars.

Wallenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wallenberg (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On finishing the second tin of Black Mallory (how this name sounds like a lady; a lady that may give you trouble, but you keep coming back to), it is finally time to give it the review it deserves.

Upon opening the tin, a wonderful scent develops that ripens with time. Nothing spells Orient more vividly to me personally.

Packing and lighting were no trouble. Black Mallory was one of my first tobaccos I've smoked, and, being the heftily puffing beginner I was, there must be truth to it.

Now to the best part. Some reviewers use the term "soapy", often in ways I cannot agree to. Some may disagree, but here is the best soapiness to encounter. Soothed by the Black Cavendish, the alkaline and sour-creamy Orientals and Latakia play a tune to which listening transports one into a tent rich of incense, finest delicacies and belly dancers. But my description fails to mention that the spectrum of this tobacco varies like the colours of - here we are again! - soap bubbles. By smoking Black Mallory, you enter an opium den in its finest romantic appearance, minus all the hassle the opium smoker gets himself into. Black Mallory was a world for me to explore as beginning pipe smoker, and it keeps on presenting itself to me like it did a year ago.

Puffing too hard will give you tongue bite, but it generally is a very pleasing tobacco. The aftertaste is spicy and slightly soapy.

Black Mallory does its best to give you a pleasant room note; for our modern world where the smell of tobacco is shunned like the devil's sulphur and pitch aura, this is an achievement for a non-aromatic. Still, a star just has been deducted.

I am a bit biased towards Rattray's for gems such as Hal O'The Wynd, Old Gowrie, 7 Reserve and Marlin Flake.

Pipe Used: cobs, meerschaums, briars

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the tin and three months later

Purchased From: Tabakfachgeschäft Gausterer, Schwechat, Austria

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)

Having just sampled Margate recently, I find it difficult not to compare the two. The Latakia in BM is more in the background. It's not as smooth as Margate, the sharpness of the Virginia's sneak through more in BM. BM's a good English blend and should satisfy those, like me, who are into such blends. A solid 3 stars for me.

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: Molina big bowl

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

This is a 25+ years old 100 GRAM tin blended by Robert McConnell. A dark colored mixture with a powerful fermented and musty smell. Even through the moisture level was good, I put it in a jar and also used the paper towel method to bring out the best in this long gone original blend.

The fermented red Virginia is present with the brioche-like flavor, there is a good amount of sourness from the Orientals and the Latakia is woody and smoky tempering the other two tobaccos. The ingredient tobaccos are very well blended and time has not been bad to them. A mellow and creamy smoke that is tangy and with a wine barrel like aroma.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

This tobacco might be a good choice for those who want to venture into the world of Latakia for the first time, because even though there's a generous dose of it in this blend, it is balanced by an equally high amount of Black Cavendish among the Virginias and Orientals.

The tin note is clearly dominated by the peat fire scent of the Latakia with only hints of grassy or floral sweetness. The tobacco might be a little on the moist side in a new tin.

The fine ribbon cut makes it easy to fill your pipe. Personally, I prefer the Frank method. Lighting is just as uncomplicated.

The well balanced, mellow taste is sweet and spicy at the same time with the smokiness of the Latakia becoming more pronounced mid-bowl. However, the spiciness of it and of the Oriental leafs is always complemented by the smooth, earthy, nutty sweetness of the Black Cavendish and the tangy aromas of the Virginias. It's a pleasant, complex smoke from top to bottom leaving some powdery grey sah

The room note reveals mostly the Latakia and Orientals and is therefore tolerable.

Pipe Used: Rattray's Butcher Boy

Purchased From: Peter Heinrichs

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)

The name and the tin are beautiful. The mixture is also refined and sweet. I like it better on medium sized to small pipes and on cloudy weather.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Mild None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I had not written a review of this until I read Reiny's review today.

I have to agree. It was harsh. I like forward Latakia blends, but this was just bitter in a negative way. I tried it in many pipes and with varying degrees of drying- still found it harsh.

Nicotine was not pronounced. I was very much looking forward to this, but if in 6 months I can't make it work, I have to believe its not for me.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (35)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco came highly recommended by my local tobacconist. I got myself a 100 gram tin and sadly, I couldn't smoke more than 4 bowls before giving it away.

While it is quality leaf no doubt, I find it too mild and it has a slight sweet casing that I find disconcerting.

Like frog morton on the town, I would recommend this tobacco to an aromatic smoker that wants to make a gradual transition to english blends.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Top notch stuff. I bought a tin of this and a tin of SG Squadron Leader and, though they are two different tobaccos, I really love this blend. I keep reaching for this tin when I have the two setting out on my bar. I enjoy S.L. as well, but will be stocking up on more Mallory! A nice mild all day smoke.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I can echo BriarBurner's sentiments here. Black Mallory is my go-to summertime English blend. It's got my favorite combination of tobaccos: VA, Lat, and Oriental, just like my all-time favorite blend, C&D's Good Morning.

Black Mallory is rich, mellow, well-balanced, and works well in every pipe I've smoked it in. Mild for an English, with low Nick strength. Perfect entry-level English, easy to enjoy when a heavy English blend is just TOO heavy. Recommended.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

A real "Scottish" mixture, as it contains Cavendish - and a surprisingly mild, mellow, creamy, sweet and especially cool smoke. Absolutely no bite even if you abuse it. Haven't tried other Rattray (K&K) blends, but this one is much better than I originally thought. Tastes like incense, Latakia is prominent, Black Cavendish adds some roundness. Tolerable room note for a Latmix. I often prefer it over Dunhill's Nightcap (which is excellent but quite a bomb!) - but these two are completely different animals, anyway. Especially in N content, this mixture is way lower. I'm giving it 4 of 5 stars, absolutely nothing wrong with Black Mallory :)

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (29)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have to say, I love latakia blends, but this one just did not do it for me. The only thing I can chalk it up to is the Black Cavendish. I started pipe smoking on a strict diet of Latakia, Virginias, Orientals, Burley and Perique. My English experiences have all been Lat/VA/Oriental -only. The addition of Cavendish to this blend must be what turned me off.

Out of the tin, it smells wonderful - full, smoky, promises of a wonderful smoke. IT packed well, lit well and smoked nicely. A well-behaved tobacco, to be sure.

However, I just found the flavor "cheapened" somehow by the Cavendish. The latakia was punchy and present, the Orientals (while subtler than to my liking) were also present. I didn't get much from the VA's and the Cavendish somehow brought everything down by rearing it's mundane, indistinct head.

I wanted to like this tobacco and smoked the entire 2oz tin. It improved slightly the longer the tin was open, but honestly, I was disappointed.

I'd heard so much about Rattray's and BM in particular... and it obviously has a following, judging by the reviews. But I won't be revisiting it anytime soon... unremarkable and certainly not as well-made as Gawith, Pease or Esoterica offerings of this type.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (31)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I smoked this straight out of the tin and it was rather wet, I had to relight it too much times, especially during the first third of the bowl. Taste is rather light, throughout the whole bowl.

I then left it to mature 2 years in a glass jar after a little drying out and it built more character and musky flavour.

The first third is toasty and smokey but I sense a subtle tangy flavouring coming in at midbowl that stays along with oriental spices.

It seems to be sweeter at the beginning and smokier thru the bowl in which it leaves only a fine ash.

I' d give it 4 stars if it only had more body. Nonetheless a recommended mixture.

brotherofbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brotherofbriar (4)

Ah, the mightily oceanic Black Mallory. In many ways this is the big brother to Red Rapparee. Whilst the later may be likened to a small pleasure boat out on an afternoons cruise, Black Mallory is a pirate ship bristling with guns, swash and buckle. The big difference between the two is of course the latakia. For my money, I can't even detect it in Red Rapparee (this may be because my palate had become jaded by one to many latakia bombs) but it's here in spades in Black Mallory. Dense white smoke, oily and heavy with tar. Leather notes too, yes, and certainly a saltiness that keeps one thinking of the sea. A perfect smoke for a foggy or rainy afternoon inside by the fireside with a cup of sweet tea or an Islay malt whiskey. Delicious with a decent dose of vitamin N. Avast! Sip this fine smoke like nectar, and dream of the oceans deep.

UPDATE September 2017. With the days getting shorter my interest in all things pipe has been rekindled and I have returned, like an old friend, to the mighty Mallory. I have decided to bump this blend up a star as it is as close to perfection as you can get. It may burn a little moist straight out of the tin but this is nothing a little air curing won't resolve. For some reason Dunhill My Mixture 965 has fallen a bit out of favour of late, lacking the enormous complexity of this blend. I think it is the Black Cavendish that really works its magic with the latakia and the orientals. Light a bowl and set sail for a paradise isle, where, surrounded by mermaids and sirens you can reflect on a burnished coral throne, and dream of the ocean deep....

Pipe Used: Savinelli champagne, Kiko Tanzanikan meershaum

Purchased From: Smoke-King

arclight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arclight (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a good straight smoke. The ribbon cut makes it easy to pack. I did not notice an oyster taste...but I could smell it upon cleaning... The Latakia is very mild in the blend. This would be a good tobacco for people wanting to try a Latakia mix but are unsure about it. This is an excellent mixture, I recomend it with a strong ale. It burns down to a nice grey ash.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Update2: Ok, I've learned to appreciate it. I've had a tin of this in the office for the last few weeks and have been smoking a bowl or two a day. It's actually pretty nice, a solid medium English/Scottish, no sweetness at all, just this background tinnitus like hum of seawater and a just a straightforward middling latakia hit. Worth a try if you want a no-nonsense English/Scottish. And despite my earlier reservations, there's a significant difference to the very mild 7 Reserve. I wouldn't rush and and restock on this, but that's only because there are so many similar mixtures out there to try.

Update: Immediately after writing this review just I went and smoked a bowl of BM. To be honest, maybe I'm being a bit harsh. There is flavour present, it's not that salty and it burns well.

Indistinguishable from 7 Reserve for me, looks, smells and tastes pretty much the same, which was disappointing as I was hoping for a bit more flavour/strength from this one. Strangely salty in the mouth, a bit like oysterized seawater, maybe it's just me. Comes in a 100g pot so I guess I might learn to love it, or at least appreciate it.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)

A nice change of pace is what springs to mind, an English mixture with some Black Cavendish thrown in to subdue it.

A litttle air time and your ready to load, smokes without a bite down to a grey ash and all flavours playing nicely together.

Not as tasty as Red Rapparee, but worth the purchase of the odd tin here and there.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The latakia with the black cavenidish really goes well. The latakia is present but not overwhelming. The VA and Orientals also make it a very balenced blend with a beautiful aroma. This will be a regular amongst the Rattrays but as I got through the series, I am having a hard time determining what I like the most. Very good blends and all for different reasons, seasons, times and moods.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)

Well, I like this.

How to describe it? Its flavors are very light, but its texture feels rather more substantial. Another reviewer called it "luxurious," and that word may be apt. It's well-heeled, restrained, silky smooth, forgiving, obliging, and agreeable.

The Latakia is apparent in the tin, but is harder to detect once a match brings it to life. The Latakia quietly provides a round, full texture, but only in the background.

It's smooth, easy, and an agreeable companion. Other than a notable taste of citrus, no flavor cries out for attention. Leaves a sort of waxy aftertaste that, while odd, isn't off-putting.

I like it.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Update 2015 - I revisited this tobacco, again after a few more years and several other blends under my belt. Wow! I remember why I loved this blend and why it was listed as one of my favorites (and is again). It contains the perfect harmony between sweet and smokey. The virginias provide sweetness, but doesn't dominate...not as sweet as Frog Morton. This is a dominate latakia blend, in my opinion, but the latakia is smokey, floral, and not overpowering like Gaslight, which at times can almost be like oil/tar that's not bad...it's a fantastic blend as well). The orientals mixed with the latakia give a fragrant creamy smoke that is something different than all the other english blends I have tried (and different than the balkan blends that are more savory and smokey than sweet, though I do love those blends as well). The turkish perhaps rounds out the blend, but I didn't detect any and there was no scratchiness in the throat nor was the nicotine strong either. There is the citrus that I spoke of before, but also floral hints. The flavors are diverse yet play off each other in a perfect symphony. The taste is not overdone but will keep one interested throughout the entire bowl. Simply an amazing tobacco that is a must try for any true pipe tobacco connoisseur.

OriginalThis is a wonderful English Blend, in my H.O. It is so creamy with hints of smokiness, that come with Latakia. I also caught hints of citrus here and there. The mixture allows for a sweet and rich smoke, but the citrius (from the Latakia and/or orientals) is unexpected and amazing! It was a bit wet coming out of the tin and a bit difficult to get lit for the first few bowls, but there was absolutely no bite!! Very pleasant taste and aroma. I was unable to rid my mouth of the taste for hours after, however, which is was unexpected.

Overall still a wonderful smoke. The mouth being coated seems to have only occurred in the beginning of the first tin and hasn't re-occurred since.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-5 years

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is a nice blend of quality tobaccos and anyone wanting a quality English that is mild in strength, voile'. Out of the tin I found it fairly wet, but I prefer dryer tobacco. I don't sense a topping, yet it has a neutrally sweet component that is probably the Cavendish, yet it is not a problem. I would enjoy a more Oriental presence. I found large-bowled pipes benefit this tobacco and the smoke itself. This tobacco burns as quick as a firecracker fuse, so a small bowl ends before any chance of any smoking rhythm. A large Billiard provided me with the best smoke of this blend. Like Briar Patch, I cut my teeth on Dunhill's and so it lacks in strength in comparison. I like nicotine and it is an integral part of my tobacco enjoyment. I miss my old blends. It's like a Ford man switching to a Chevy, it may not work out.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Hmmmm.... Not sure about this one. Problem I find with this blend is that it coats my tongue, leaving a dusty/waxy sensation.

The smoke is mild to medium, and relatively creamy to be fair. I can taste the orientals and latakia, and would call this a somewhat recommended middle of the road English.

Odd one for me... Maybe a bit of time is required to marry a better relationship of taste and flavours, and to rid me of that damn tongue issue!

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

This may or may not be all that helpful. . . But this review is based on a 1991 tin -- so it has some age on it -- opened in May of 2009. (I was planning to cellar this longer, but the can started swelling, I wanted to try it before it burst open on its own.)

Because so much has already been posted here -- and I'm not sure my report has much bearing on what a fresh tin would taste like -- I'll just say that this is a well-made, medium-weight English with sturdy and spicy orientals and a dash of cavendish. Being a lover of English, oriental, and Balkan blends, I enjoyed it.

I must add, though, that it reminded me a bit of Margate, which I actually prefer somewhat. Although I rarely smoke English with cavendish added to it, if I'm going to do it I want it to be something special; there's something about Margate that really sets it apart for me. Black Mallory is good, but it never reaches that higher level of pleasure for me like Margate does consistently.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)

This, for me, is what an English blend should be like.. An excellent interplay between virginia, latakia, and oriental.. not as much latakia as some of the balkans out there but enough to keep things interesting.. This is a balanced smoke all the way.. deffinately good for contmplative times.. more of an evening smoke than early in the day.. this is up in my top 5 latakia blends alongside the great squadron leader.

update.. I have had a hard time getting through the 100 grams I bought of this stuff about a year ago.. It is great stuff.. but for some reason I am finding it is not my thing. This is just a personal preference.. I am finding I like balkans a little more for latakia.. also it is a constant battle of drying and rehydrating.. which I haven't experienced with other tobaccos.. I have gone through about 100 grams of rattray's old gowrie in the same amount of time it took me to go through a quarter of this blend.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Harsh - Hagen has it right here I think. Very heavy cloying properties.

1 star for me. 2 stars for English fans, they seem to like it.

Much better English mixtures out there without that "brassy" taste I get here. I certainly won't pay $$ for this one - lucky I got to try it for free.

If you're into English mixes and hate aromatics - this might be your thing.

Ohterwise, try it only if you can get some for free ;)

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

Half way through the tin and I love the stuff, top quality english, plenty of taste and sweetness, it's a classic. I'm reviewing it because I'm amazed more people haven't given it four stars. It should have five.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

As with other reviewers this one reminded me of Dunhill 965! I am not really in love with English blends but this one is different like the Dunhill one and the Commonwealth of S. Gawith. Its has a light toping and the Cavendish makes it very easy to smoke! Worths a try!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Another wonder from Rattray. A perfect all day smoke for those who find 7 Reserve Medium and the like way too mild. Sometimes this is my favorite English from Rattray, sometimes it's Red Rapparee. I find in BM more Latakia and less Orientals than in RR, with darker Virginias. This one also bites if smoked recklessly.

What a pipeful of pleasure this one was! Very different from the other Latakia blends I have tried. More spicey, smoother, and less smokey. The aroma from this blend has an incense like quality to me.

The cavendish is apparently toasted, and is scrumptious, without being cloyingly sweet. Although this is a fairly potent blend, I find it to be very relaxing and completely satisfying. It is a little heavy for the warm weather months, but it is pure heaven when the weather turns cool.

This is the third blend from Rattray I have tried, and the quality is impeccable. A fine tobacco.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

For me, this blend is about as mild a blend as you can smoke and still experience the "English" or "Scottish" blend flavor. This blend does not give me the latakia smokiness in the nose. Instead it provides a mellow, almost sweet latakia flavor on the tongue. This blend has no bite or edge as you might experience with a young Red Rapparee. I also do not detect any orientals other than latakia. I am guessing, but I make this blend out as consisting of mild Virginia, unsweetened cavendish and a type of smooth latakia. This blend does not offer "big" flavor, but it is memorable as a very friendly English. This could be an all day blend for the English lover or a dandy choice for someone looking to try such a blend for the first time. Those who require strong latakia in their English may be disappointed. I like it. Recommended. Paddy.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

I have always preferred Black Mallory over Standard Mixture and My Mixture, both of which I rate highly and enjoy. It is similar, yet provides a more piquant experience. If the Dunhill blends are sec Black Mallory is brut.

Is this named after the mountaineer?

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Revised 05-17-2005

This is a high quality English/Balkan blended from Rattray's that really didn't do much for me at first, but after trying several aged 50g. tins, I have been pleasantly surprised. Upon opening the tin you are greeted by mostly dark medium-cut ribbon leaf. The tin aroma is mostly Cyprian latakia with the Orientals close behind and the Virginia way in the background. The quality of the leaf is apparent, packing and lighting are easy. Flavor is medium to full English all the way down the bowl with some sweetness from the VA popping in and out. I have to say, that the flavor seems much better from the 50g. tins than fromm the 100g. tins. Why that is, I don't know, but after smoking several pounds of this blend, I only buy the 50g. tins now. Definitely in the top 10 of English blends.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I find this to be a very pleasant English smoke. As others have stated I find it to be a much more refined version of RR. I like the proportion of latakia that is used in this blend and its' slow steady burning qualities. The flavor runs consisitent the length of the smoke with a slight noticable increase in strength in the latter half. What I do miss that RR seems to satisfy for me is an "edginess" in taste. It is not so smooth as to be boring, rather, for myself it is almost a zoning out effect. Sort of, "Well isn't that nice," type of experience. Overall a nice smoke that I will turn to once in a while.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am something of a lover of english type blends, and I purchased this because it was spoken well of by other lovers of english blends that I have met. In most respects it is a good solid english type tobacco. It has a fair amount of Latakia, a good rich taste, and burns fairly easily. However, it does have one drawback. It seems that no matter how slowly or carefully I smoke it, there is always a noticeable amount of steam in the smoke. This has happened at almost all levels of moisture, until I dried some out completely, and then slowly remosturized it myself over a period of a few weeks. Now, I don't mind fiddling with a tobacco this much, but some folks would be put off by it. However, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to the steam flavor of the blend, as most people I ask about it have never noticed it. Other than that drawback, and an occasional bowl of it refusing to stay lit no matter how carefully it is packed, I enjoy it, and will probably buy more of it in the future, though I don't rush out to buy more whenever a tin gets half empty, like I do with some english type blends.

georgariou33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
georgariou33 (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

great balanced English blend...very tasty...rattray does a good job with there blends...i have over 100 different blends in my collection as i smoke a different blend ever day and i would say this one of mt nicest

Pipe Used: stanwell and big ben only

Age When Smoked: 70

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: nothing.

drdave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drdave (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

My local tobacconist (Cigar and Tabac in Overland Park, Ks - a great place!) was out of my beloved Red Rapparee; so I opted for a tin of the Black Mallory. It has been quite a number of years since this concoction graced any of my pipes and I thought it would provide a good enough standby. Sometimes we are disappointed, chagrined, and sadly mistaken. Black Mallory had too much of something, and though the first few smokes were okey dokey, after consuming most of the 100 gram tin it became overbearing and downright bitter. In a mild panic, I thought maybe all my pipes had suddenly turned bitter. Using a different tobacco, Dunhill's Standard, I loaded my beautiful Preben Holm freehanded creation to test out that horrible theory. The night before the Preben Holm had provided a bitter experience with the Black Mallory and I conjectured this would be an extreme test. The first few draws of the Standard Mixture were a little bitter but when it hit the zone the smoke was citrusy sweet and nutty. So I won't be sucking any more Black Mallory because - it sucks.

Pipe Used: 12 briars and 1 meershaum

Age When Smoked: should have never been born

Purchased From: Cigar and Tabac

Similar Blends: i don't want to know what it's similar to.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (24)

Delicious accompaniment to Red Rapparee.

Nuff said really. I found RR to be the heavyweight, but BM fills in a lot of the missing notes of the tobacco " Chord." The Latakia seems "to know it's place " ....... by the tobacco blenders' skill and art.

Pipe Used: Many and various

Age When Smoked: From tin.

Purchased From: Greens of Leeds ( UK)

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)

This one has been on my list to try for a while but never really got round to getting a tin. However, after running out of ideas for what latakia blend to have with my morning coffee, I finally took the plunge and treated myself to a tin.

The tin note is one of latakia with a good waft of sweetness, an inviting one that went nicely with the largely dark ribbons speckled with a few lighter brown tones. Packing and lighting are easy enough. The smoke though, I found a little bit of a let down, there is a nice sweetness to it, perhaps with hints of something citrus, and the latakia is not overpowering. A very nice flavour but it all too quickly descends into a roughness that detracts from the overall experience. There's no tonguebite but it does start to develop a bit of a hacky taste the further on the smoke goes.

In summary, a good smoke let down by a certain roughness. That flavour is so nice but I really have a job getting a full smoke of it and nothing else. i will probably try another tin of this sometime in the future just to verify my findings but in the meantime, two stars will have to do.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 65

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Updated 3/30/2015- I've had a tin cellared away for about 3 years, my initial try encountered some hot spice ??? . I allowed the tin to dry and breath over a two month period and I don't want to sound too negative ,but ....., this blend doesn't bring anything, typical muting of flavors with the Cavendish tobacco additions. It packs well and burns well and I don't detect any major bite , but it just says" BLAH". It is light on all components, it's not heavy Latakia, some Orientals and it's not real sweet ( as a matter of fact I detect some bitterness), Red Rap is much more interesting. You want something for mindless smoking while in the garden ? well you could burn this stuff, but it is slightly hard on the tongue .

I totally agree with reviewers ," COCHON74 01/18/2012" & emmbee 4) 2005-10-26

Updated 7/16/12- Another few months in the cellar and more drying and this has improved slightly. This is still spicy and could bite if smoked all day. To me there are some similarites to McC, Ringlow Syrian Reserve, only this is not as smooth. both I find without much sweetness and lacking flavor. Not how I remember this from the 70"s

Pipe Used: cob

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had not intended to review this blend at this time. But, after visiting friends and returning, I found a tin of this blend in my smoking supplies box when unpacking. I had not put it in there, but there it was, so I owe my friends a tin of tobacco. They shall get it.

Meanwhile, I got this one. Nose in tin: Latakia and VA, with BC notes in the background. Ribbon cut good for small and medium bowls. Accordingly, packing and lighting is easy.

Once lit, the Black Cavendish takes a few moments to assert itself over the Latakia, but once it does, the taste is creamy-smooth, the room note is quite a bit better than what I usually expect from anything containing Latakia, and after all is smoked and puffed, there remains nothing but an even grey ash.

Cleaning the pipe afterwards is remarkably easy, with extremely little condensation to be cleared out. Overall, good tobacco.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Open the top on Mr. Rattray's Black Mallory, and get the typical aromas of a nice, mellow English blend. Similar to Red Rapparee in aroma but more mellow, more smooth. The creosote smell of the Latakia is softer, sort of like a cold campfire the day after the camping is done. Smoke and fresh leather, sweet and tangy notes compete for attention. Warm, soft and clean. Interesting scent of old pennies and savory blackened meats.

Beautiful, dark blend. Ribbon cut tobaccos pack easy, light easy.

Smooth, creamy (almost oily), mellow smoke. Light Latakia on the palate, Orientals assert themselves throughout the bowl. Leather and dusty notes wrap around the sweetness of the Virginia. That old penny scent is translated to the flavor as well.

Overall - subtle and elegant, flavorful and refined, sweet and savory, rich, old leather and beach bonfires in the salty sea air. I still prefer Red Rapparee myself, but Black Mallory is a very fine, rich, sophisticated smoke. This one has to go on the favorite list too.

Definitely worth a try - JRCigars online has Rattray 100gm tins for $10.95 before tax & shipping.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Red Rapparee & Black Mallory.

As a change of pace from my usual tobacco diet - which is almost non-Latakian - I'm working through RR & BM at the same time.

I'm old enough to have met both of them say twenty years ago, at the beginning of the sunset of the UK made brands (BSOM, BS759 and BSVa10 passing from tins to pouches), and they were absolutely top EM's.

My current tins have been waiting me unsealed almost one whole year. The inner discs are still semi-wet, but tobaccos have just dried out the heck of their exaggerate moisture (the heaven knows how much PG they put in…).

Anyway, they stuffed fine into a couple of Dunhill's group 5 bents and have to say they light & burn very easily.

They are brothers, out of any doubt.

RR is offering a supremely smooth-like-silk smoke, sweet & spicy & biscuity. The Orientals take the main seat, perfectly accomplished by the Virginias (light & red). Just a trace of Latakia in the very background, and some almost-non-flavoured Black Cavendish to round off the edges. Strength is medium, body a bit over that. Intriguing and savoury, I may completely understand the smoker who chooses RR as his all-day smoke.

Where RR is more Oriental forward, BM is more on the Latakia instead. A drier but still sweet blend, darker, mustier and stronger than RR. More on the interplay between Virginias and Latakia. Again, the Black Cavendish does its job. The room note is of course less acceptable by the wife… In my memory BM used to be a truly fuller EM than nowadays.

The brothers are pleasant and satisfactory, that's for sure. What retains me from giving 4* is the PG soaking treatment, which causes the smoke being a bit aggressive to my palate.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

My sample of Black Mallory was packed tight into a tin estimated at 3-5 years old. The contents uniformly black, with scattered dark brown leaf, the smell pungent with deep smokey notes. Not particularly moist but far from dry, the upper layer of tobacco showed whitish tinged ribbon leaf, a clear mark of aging. The texture of the ribbon was standard, not too stringy, nor a rough cut. It packed well into the couple of pipes I smoked with the blend, a medium sized Stanwell and a larger Peterson. I packed the tobacco tight, in all instances, as I prefer a restrained draw. There were no problems with moisture or wetness, even as I tamped regularly.

Some have noted a subdued Latakia element in Black Mallory, while I found the leaf to be in the front at all times. I'm not accustomed to Cavendish in an English mixture, but I did note a creaminess similar to that of 965, which also contains the leaf (Black Mallory contains the black variety, while 965 Cavendish is brown. There is no mention whether the Cavendish is Burley or Virginia based, or whether sweeteners have been added in either instance). There is a slight nuttiness here, perhaps owing to the Burley based Cavendish. It works, and adds a nice depth to the sweetness of the Virginias. I've stated before my inability to single out the Turkish/Oriental leaf, and I will say the same here.

This is a full mixture, beyond that of something like Westminster yet more restrained than Nightcap. I found myself smoking back to back bowls of Westminster and Black Mallory in an attempt at comparison, and found that I favored Black Mallory in complexity and strength.

I had no problems with relights, as an aggressive smoker who likes to tamp frequently. The burn rate was exceptional.

Black Mallory finishes strong, building toward the end of the bowl and imparting a strong taste on the palate. I wouldn't suggest smoking this in the company of others, as it can be overwhelming to the senses. To those who enjoy strong, full English mixtures, I believe you will find Black Mallory an exceptional blend, one in which the Cavendish provides a unique element to the standard English. I plan to keep this in my rotation, and confess to almost smoking this religiously upon cracking the tin. I can picture a daily rotation of FVF, Black Mallory, and University Flake.

Recommended.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

Well, after reading glowing reviews here, especially by such respected reviewers giving it such high marks, I finally tried this very popular blend. Although I can't say that there was anything bad about BM, I was just a bit disappointed. What really turns me on is a really rich tasting baccy that gives me a little nico' zing and holds my attention throughout the bowl with interesting flavors. I guess my expectations were running in high gear and I expected too much.

My first experience was that I tried it the first time right out of the bag; big mistake. Although it felt about right - way too much moisture. Could not keep it lit beyond the first half of the bowl and after a lot of tamping to keep it going, it finally turned into a hard gob that I had to toss out. Spread it out and let it dry overnight until I thought it was just too dry but tried it anyhow and it packed and lit well and burned OK.

BM turned out to be, against my expectations, A little ho-hum. It came on with only mild to medium strength, flavoring was only mild, and the room note was unspectacular also. In it's favor, this baccy does not burn hot, I experienced NO tendency to bite, and it went to the bottom of the bowl without a whimper, mostly tasting like it started. The balance between Virginia and Latakia was perfect and the taste (for a mild tobacco) was as well balanced as I could expect for a very English blend. I cannot fault it and will happily finish what is on hand and probably order more when it is gone. I just can't put it on my favorites list (yet).

I have a feeling that some of my slight disappointment may be in the batch that I received. Against the descriptions I have seen here, the blend was not very dark and there was not even a hint of visual oiliness. I have come to recognize an appreciation of strength and richness for blends expressed by guys like pipestud and It occurs to me that I may have had a somewhat weakened blend. I will certainly be accountable for a revision of this review if another batch presents itself differently.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Everyone says great things of this blend: after enjoying Red Rapparee, the idea of a darker and fuller variation on it was very intriguing. What I found is a competent, tasty and well-behaved english mxture! I really can't find particular faults to list about it: it packs well, burns well, and gives a satisfactory smoke deep in woodsy notes. As such, it fully deserves a high rating! Anyway, I won't buy it again. Why? Simply put, it offers nothing that I can't find in other blends: maybe I have been spoiled by Greg Pease and by Dunhill's London Mixture, but I find that Black Mallory lacks that extra touch that makes a good tobacco great. If you want a traditional full english mixture, though, you can't go wrong with this offering by Rattray.