Gambler pipe tobacco is a straightforward American blend that is made from top of the line Burley and Virginia tobaccos, among other fine quality tobaccos from around the world. This brand is extremely affordable.

BrandGambler
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Packaging16-oz. Pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat)
Strong
1.0
BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I tried to submit this tobacco quite a while back, before the site was updated. Glad it's on here because I've wanted to do a review for a while. I bought this in 2011, when it was in a large green tin. This was disgusting. It's been five years, and with complete clarity, I can describe how revolting this blend was.

The tub was like the cardboard ones with the foil seal and the plastic lid...just much bigger. It was kinda cool. I like the gambler motif. Bright green was kinda cool.

The tin note was very chemical in nature, not sure I can find a comparison to it. It is ribbon cut, very thin but not shag. The moisture in the tub is good, it packs well, like any other ribbon cut. It takes to fire well, usual char and re-light. The initial flavor is again...chemical. It definitely isn't mint. There is a sensation of coolness, I'm assuming that is the menthol. There isn't any tabac flavor to speak of, more like an ashy note. Despite the menthol, it burns hot and the menthol fizzles out quickly. Leaving a hot, weird, top note combined with some ashy and floral flavors.

It burns down to a fine mid-grey ash. It doesn't leave any goop, that's nice. It ghosts a pipe but it fades though.

I blended with this, it doesn't really do much, other than take up space.

If you're into menthol, it's initial sensation has a cooling effect, and when it's hot outside, that's nice. I don't feel it's worth it though, as it doesn't last long, and the flavor that goes with it, is just weird.

I paired it with a few drinks, mainly those designed for hot weather. Tom Collins and Gin Rickeys were okay with this. Usually Bourbon would destroy the lingering taste, so I tried to get in the spirit and made mint juleps while smoking this blend.

I just ended up giving this stuff away. All in all, I really don't recommend it, I would say seek out better tabacs. I bought it for the tin art, I like cowboy stuff...and well this tasted like horsesh**. There are better things at a similar price.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Crown Duke, MM legend