Buckingham combines a mixture of black cavendish, bright and dark Virginias and fragrant burley. Enjoying this blend you will experience the true promise of hickory nut and bourbon vanilla hitting the scent of cinnamon.

Notes: Buckingham is apparently a new incarnation of Peterson Gold Blend, whose recipe is owned by Kohlhase & Kopp.

BrandRattray
Strength
Taste
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Rattray - Buckingham.

Although this is an aromatic it still has a clean taste. It's not heavy, stodgy or clumsy tasting. I find that sometimes aromatics can be too gloopy but this has a classy extra flavour that can be easily appreciated without it taking everything over completely.

The tin note is fabulous! Without a doubt it's the hickory nut that takes lead here with the vanilla and cinnamon falling a little behind. It's one of those aromas that almost beseeches you to light up!

Although this was from a sealed tin it didn't seem to have a great deal of water trapped inside. This makes for simple ignition. A few short goes with a flame get it burning very well, there's no requirement at all for a jet flame!

Like the aroma, I get a prominent taste of the hickory nut coming through. It doesn't seem harsh but it is a lot easier to identify than the cinnamon and vanilla. I like this as I haven't come across 'hickory nut' much before! It tastes exactly as the name suggests; woody and nutty!

Out of the tobaccos I get the most flavour from the burley. This goes hand in hand with the hickory nut.

I get no bite whatsoever. I can draw my pipe like a mad man and still it eludes me!

Nicotine is about medium. It won't make your head spin, nor will it leave you still craving N.

The room note has a great nuttiness to it. Mind you, it's a little potent so possibly may offend some people!

This is a very good blend. The aromatics are strong enough to gain recognition and they embellish the burley perfectly. On the other hand they aren't too strong as to mess the blend up. The blend has an almost 'rustic' taste.

Easily rated. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Comoy Elegance

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to be an aromatic that doesn't push itself as an aromatic. The flavors are there but muted and dry to the point that dedicated English fans might like this one.. It's not a weak or wet American style aromatic.. The burley and VA character are full and honest. There is true tobacco taste and strength here, and NO BITE. A simple and effective run at at flavored smoke without masking the HIGH quality tobacco that Rattray always uses. You'll get your money's worth here folks,, dry, medium strength, balanced.....

Update:11-18-16,,,, Folks I think we have a sleeper classic in the making here. I'm half way through the generous 3.5 ounce tin and loving it more and more,, English, Aromatic and all pipe smokers should give this one a try,, very impressive !!

4 Stars

Pipe Used: Meer Lined

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Similar Blends: None I've ever tried,,,, LOL :).

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oddly enough this is the first Rattray blend I have ever tried. I usually try all new aromatics with a Peterson Plip pipe as it seems to enhance the flavor of aromatics and focus my taste buds. Upon opening the tin I got some nice aroma. Mostly fruity and floral aroma not much in the way of nuts. Tobacco was pretty damp so I let it dry out just a bit. (Frankly I should have probably let it dry out longer). The light up was fair as due to moisture it did require working with the flame a bit. First flavor were fruity notes mixed with some nutty flavor. Very interesting taste I have never experienced in this combination before. As the bowl continued to burn the fruity flavor got stronger and nutty taste went away. One thing I noticed was I kept wanting to relight as hardly any smoke was being produced but it remained producing good flavor. At this point I thought well this is just a fruity blend when all of a sudden her comes the nutty flavor. These flavors continued to mix around throughout the smoke. Just a very interesting smoke indeed. Near the end the nutty flavor increased for the last of the bowl. Now this is just the first bowl so I hope once dried out a bit the flavors will be enhanced. I have never smoked a Rattray blend before but if there as good as this one I will certainly be trying them out. The room note is not that noticeable and most interesting is the nice fruity taste that remains in your mouth after finishing the smoke. Frankly this is the most interesting aromatic I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. I give it four stars for sure.

Pipe Used: Peterson Plip

Age When Smoked: Fresh with an hour of dry time

Meerschaumer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaumer (7)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very sweet, fruit-flavoured blend which is a soft, mouth-watering delight on the tongue and will certainly make you new friends with its appetising caramel/vanilla aroma. As soon as I took the first sip on my just-lit pipe, I knew this had to be a German confection by Planta or Kohlhase & Kopp. When I searched for information about it here on this site the secret was revealed; it is indeed a K&K blend.

Pipe Used: African block meerschaum full bent, unfltered.

Purchased From: Local tobacconists

Pipesolitude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesolitude (11)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have not smoked aromatics since I first started with pipe smoking some years back. I wanted to try it again and Buckingham cought my interest. But I had almost forgot why I started to smoke non aromatics. And now I was reminded again: the hot smoke, constant risk of tounge bite and not being fully satisfied by the taste. I think that whatever taste that is produced by adding aromatic flavouring is superficial, nothing near to the fullness you get from an english.

In relative terms, however, Buckingham might be a nice aro. But even if I can taste what I presume is described as "hickory nut" - but cinnamon and vanilla? must I conclude that my palate is not sophisticated enough, or are not these descriptive terms simply an expression for wishful thinking, wanting tobacco to taste like something that it is not? -, I must say that I nevertheless find the taste to be a quite typical and generic aromatic kind of taste. And it only took a few bowls for me to realize how much more I prefer an english tobacco. But I don't want to be unfair, I will try to judge this tobacco according to its genre. I will give it 3 stars, because in relative terms I think it is a nice choice. And yes, the room note is wonderful. Perhaps this ended up to be a general verdict on aromatics, but I am still curious to see if I can find an aro that satisfies me. Unforturnately, Buckingham is not it, and it might take a while before I decide to spend money on another aromatic blend.

Burn-A-Briar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burn-A-Briar (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

When I first got into smoking a pipe (in the days when Kohlhase & Kopp blended the Peterson tobacco line), I started trying many aromatic tobaccos to try and train my taste buds to pick out the subtleties of pipe smoke. Peterson's Gold Blend was the first tobacco I discovered where I found myself wanting to buy more.

The tin note was much like Sherlock Holmes (a sweet, raisin-like aroma) but with a background note of vanilla. Once in the pipe, this tobacco smoked smoothly and produced a sweet tasting flavour that didn't overpower the nuances of the natural tobaccos. Further down the bowl the smoke became more robust and the quality of the leaves used to make the blend came into their own. Overall this was a lovely tobacco and became my go-to aromatic blend.

However, Gold Blend changed somewhat and it wasn't until I discovered Buckingham - which drew my attention as it contained vanilla, cinnamon and hickory nut flavourings (as did Gold Blend) - that I realised that the Peterson tobaccos had changed blenders. After trying Buckingham, I can confirm it is indeed the same tobacco that Gold Blend once was and it has replaced the (new) Peterson version as my go-to aromatic pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 03

Purchased From: www.mysmokingshop.co.uk

Similar Blends: Peterson - Gold Blend.

Richard Jhonson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richard Jhonson (13)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (23)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This aromatic blend is nice and elegant. Includes very black cavendish as very pale virginias. Eventhough this has nothing to do with the "classic" Rattray's blends, it is a very high quality tobacco mixture. It is a mild and, yes, very fragant recipe, but with the right amount of nicotine. If you want a reference, I think the original Black Diamond was very similar, although this is a little more humid mixture. For the aromatic lovers this is a very interesting proposal. You might want to use an "aromatic" pipe with this, as I think a later detected the scent on a later smoke - for me this is not a scandal.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Cupojoes

Similar Blends: Black Diamond.