Winter's Embrace expertly blends bright flue-cured Virginia tobaccos with mellow Burleys and a soft black Cavendish for a pleasant, mild smoke. A light topping of vanilla and fruit flavors create a terrific room note.

Hello! Light the Fire! I'll bring inside a lovely bright ball of snow. - Matsuo Basho (1644 – 1694)

Notes: "The Four Seasons" is a line of aromatic blends that are meant to capture the essence of the four distinct seasons in Japan. They were announced at 2014 IPCPR, and released in late 2014.

BrandTsuge Premium Pipe Tobacco
1.8
CayugaJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CayugaJim (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The tin art alone on this tobacco is worth its weight in tobacco; however, what a wonderfully complex straight virginia this is. Bright tan and dark brown colored ribbon cut virginia tobacco announced itself with a fresh scent of deep raisin upon... initial whiff. The texture of this tobacco was that of a dry sponge, having a nice bounce with enough moisture content to smoke right away, at least in my humble opinion. Winter's Embrace was packed nicely into the black and gold 50g tin and I found myself almost unpacking it from the tin in scrapes along the top after removing a plastic covering from beneath the paper liason between the tobacco and the tin. The charring light was as it should be, short and productive and the continuing smoke I enjoyed through my Straight Billiard Vauen Sword released a variety of complex, deep natural flavors that never bit and stayed appealing until I was finished smoking. Although nothing mindblowing or deeply sensational, Winter's Embrace is truly a superb smoking and tasting tobacco that I would not only recommend but will surely purchase in the future.

Pipe Used: Vauen Sword (Straight Billiard)

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com (awesome customer service)

Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This one just did nothing to thrill me from the very start, although at the start the topping was much more apparent than it was a little more than a year after I popped the tin. The topping definitely lessened over this time, but the tobacco never got crunchy, so it never made it into a jar.

What was left behind from the topping was a very light Virginia, and although the toppings list burley, it is not a dominant player. While it is not so light as to have a cardboard type taste, there is very little tobacco flavor at all. This one ends up suffering from that hot air curse that plagues so many aromatics after the topping starts to flash.

The blend is very much like a European aromatic in that it is Virginia dominant. I would say it is a little like Davidoff's Danish Mixture just not nearly as good. DDM has much more topping than WE, but the problem with a blend like WE is that a light topping does not really work when the underlying tobacco flavor is so weak.

To give it some props I will say that the tin art is beautiful and may be the reason I made the purpose. And sticking with the packaging, it has an odd plastic coaster atop the tobacco and folded under the coffee filter enclosure as opposed to the heavier paper stock that is typically used. At first I thought this was pretty cool, but it tends to draw a lot of tobacco to it everytime you pull it out to pack a bowl. It is novel, but I prefer the paper.

In the aggregate, If this is smoked quickly one will enjoy it much more than I did after it sat awhile in the tin, I do remember much more presence from the topping in the beginning. Kind of fruity and honey sweet and it wasn't bad. So I am leaving this at two stars, but will always opt for a tin of Danish mixture or even Peterson Gold blend before I would pick up another tin of this.

KrzysD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KrzysD (15)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not bad , a bit bland, but if you smoke it just right you get a nice hint of what it could be. If you like a mild tobacco that's just barely an aromatic you may like this one. I find its a good smoke for my morning commute. I wish the tobacco was as nice as the tin art.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: P&C

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

As far as the tobacco goes...it was less than stellar. Very light in color and just as light in flavor. The grassiness of the Virginias was prevalent, but the casing was under-utilized. Not what I was expecting. On the other hand, the tin art is amazing.

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Purchased From: P&C

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (97)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

Well it is almost wintertime, so let the seasonal Tsuge review commence. I hadn't read up on the contents of this one, so I had zero expectations.

Opening the tin I was met with that Virginia "hay" oder, so I got my buds ready for some Orlik Golden Slice or Escudo Navy de Luxe, but what followed was old cigarette smoke. I was not a fan and was immediately dreading the chore of smoking the whole tin. Not only was the taste off, but the burn sucked to; everything was just dry and turned to ash too quickly.

Upon coming to make my review I discovered to my confusion this was an aromatic, so I went back for another bowl in search of a missing flavor. I really got nothing from it, whatever vanilla that was supposed to live here had clearly left town.

It was just an all over pass for me. I suppose in the coldest part of winter I would be happy for it's warmth, but that is about it.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (104)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I usually like lighter touches of casing/topping on aromatic blends. This one is too light. Way, way too light. In fact, you can barely detect anything at all in the tin note, even less in the taste while lit. I feel like it could have been a decent blend. The leaf quality seems high, and the packaging is superb. But it needs to go back to the kitchen...its undercooked. On the plus side, it burned well and didn't bite me. On the negative side, my wife did not approve of the room note...or lack thereof.

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin undated

Princeps Senatus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Princeps Senatus (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Smoked this for my first review, and I have to say the tin art was the best part of the purchase. It smokes fine for a day to day smoke, but not particularly tasty or impactful. I found it to be bland but sweet, but I haven't had the other tobaccos from this line before so I can't compare it beyond other virginia blends. If you want nice tin art, and an okay smoke, I would recommend you to try it. It won't wow you but its something to put in the pipe and puff away at while you relax. Not complex, not something to write home about. 2.5/5

Pipe Used: Nording Bulldog

Similar Blends: Virginia ribbon cut blends.

Sound Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sound Dude (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought all of the Four Seasons tins when there was a buy-3-get-1-free sale. So far I've had summer and autumn and enjoyed them both. This one, however, is a different story. I may have just gotten a bad tin. Upon opening I usually await that first rush of the tin note, but here - nothing. Tobacco is very light in appearance and is very dry, which is why I think it might just be a defective tin. I had 5 bowls of it to give it a chance. It lights right up (since it's so dry) but all I get is a very light grassy taste. Only the faintest hint of a casing. I'm going to jar the rest with a rehydrating stone in it to see if that helps. If not, I'll move on to Spring and give this one a miss.

Pipe Used: Various Petersons

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: lawn clippings.