Pipe shop exclusive tobacco product. A best selling replacement for our previous blend Scaferlati. Contains the finest Dark Virginia tobaccos available.

BrandThe Pipe Shop
Blended ByThe Pipe Shop
Manufactured ByThe Pipe Shop
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong, Extremely Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium to Full, Very Full
Strong
2.0
cajun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajun (11)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

Well, quel surprise!!

I used to be an avid smoker of "Amsterdamer", which despite the name is a French caporal type, and the second best selling pipe tobacco in France, after the Caporal Gris. As I live in the UK it is not available here, and I have seen this blend before and wondered what it was like. I just had to try it so I ordered a pouch. I believe it is unique to "The Pipe Shop", a well known tobacconist in Leith Walk, Edinburgh, which I remember well from the days when I lived and worked in Edinburgh. I must stress that Leith is a separate town from Edinburgh, and the locals will constantly remind you of that fact.

I opened the pouch, and noticed that the seal bore the name "Kendal Tobacco". I was therefore a bit sceptical about what I had bought, especially when I noticed that the tobacco was quite moist, instead of that bone dry offering typical of the Scaferlatis.

However, I was immediately captivated by that aroma, typical of French pipe tobaccos. I was a bit too eager and rammed the briar a bit too tight. I had to resort to my old trick of making an air channel through the densely packed tobacco with a pipe tool, and lit up.

I couldn't believe the result. The flavour, taste, and strength of Scaferlati Superieur has been replicated to perfection, and if this is somebody's interpretation of a standard French pipe tobacco then they have got it spot on.

A lot of UK smokers will not give Scaferlati house room, and treat it like an "inferieur" rather than "superieur" mixture. Everybody to their own taste, and this tobacco deserves to be better known, and smoked.

I had to force myself to put the pipe down after about 10 minutes, as the strength of the nicotine hit began to take effect, and yes it kept burning in the pipe, as Amsterdamer will.

Overall, this is as good as any of the big name tobaccos available in France, and I don't think it will be the last pouch I buy.

I do tend to prefer the Irish type flakes and plugs, but this makes a welcome change from the slicing and rubbing out that those involve.

Pipe Used: Stanwell briar

Purchased From: The Pipe Shop, Edinburgh, online

Similar Blends: Scaferlati Superieur, Amsterdamer.

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

The Pipe Shop - Superieur Caporal Pipe.

The blend is presented as a fine ribbon, it's a dark shade of brown and perfectly moist. The aroma from the unlit blend is a good hint of what's on its way: a strong, no-frills, smoke.

It lights up easily, and then gives a powerful experience. With the flavour, I don't get any of the gentle Virginia nuances, it's not got any delicate citrus twangs, instead I get a 'Powerhouse' of a taste. There's a touch of the expected dark fruit, but not much. The main characteristic that emanates is the sort I'd associate with Kentucky: there's quite a fired note to the smoke. This taste is alright for the initial part of the bowl but after five minutes I feel queasy and by ten minutes I'm practically gagging. The next part that sits uneasy with me is the nicotine: it's just too strong for me, way too strong. On the positive side, it doesn't bite!

Some folks will adore this, but I'm not one of them. Even though it's well made, I don't like it at all.

Not recommended.