This old family recipe is richly deep in flavor without being strong and accompanied by a wonderful aroma without being overly sweet. Named for the progenitor of our Clan Donald and Lord of the Isles.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland

There are several Virginias present, ranging from light to brown and red in this mild blend, offering some grass, citrus, and a little tangy dark fruit and earth from the red Virginia, which seems a little dull for some reason. There's also a McClelland "vinegar" note that is very mild, but vanishes fairly quickly. It's semi-sweet. Very little nicotine present. Burns cool, clean and smooth with no bite, and a very consistent flavor. leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. Has an okay, short lived after taste. An all day smoke. Rather ordinary in every way. Two and half stars.

I don't know which of those McCranie boys it is that keeps forcing us out of our money by whipping up old family recipes but I'm going broke! Somerled is a very mellow Virginia that I know has some of that Red that is so special and interwoven with Bright. The presentation is mild, semi-sweet and burns extraordinarily cool for a high sugar leaf. Thoroughly enjoyable and my palate never cried uncle when I'd smoke back back bowls.

jimchatt725 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimchatt725 (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I like this tobacco very much. It is richer in side stream smell than McCranie's Red Virginia. There is a little of the vinegar smell mentioned in previous review but it does not persist. There is a very pleasant tangy taste which I can not characterize and the room note is just delicious.

Pipe Used: Steve Morrisette, Scott Klein Volcano

Age When Smoked: Tobacco age 4 years

Purchased From: McCranie's

Similar Blends: McCranies Red Virginia.