This old family recipe is richly deep in flavor without being strong and accompanied by a wonderful aroma without being overly sweet. Named for the progenitor of our Clan Donald and Lord of the Isles.

BrandMcCranie's
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

3.4

There are several Virginias present, ranging from light to brown and red in this mild blend, offering some grass, citrus, and a little tangy dark fruit and earth from the red Virginia, which seems a little dull for some reason. There's also a McClelland "vinegar" note that is very mild, but vanishes fairly quickly. It's semi-sweet. Very little nicotine present. Burns cool, clean and smooth with no bite, and a very consistent flavor. leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. Has an okay, short lived after taste. An all day smoke. Rather ordinary in every way. Two and half stars.

I don't know which of those McCranie boys it is that keeps forcing us out of our money by whipping up old family recipes but I'm going broke! Somerled is a very mellow Virginia that I know has that McClelland's Red that is so special. The presentation is mild, semi-sweet and burns extraordinarily cool for a high sugar leaf. Thoroughly enjoyable and my palate never cried uncle when I'd smoke back back bowls.

jimchatt725 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimchatt725 (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I like this tobacco very much. It is richer in side stream smell than McCranie's Red Virginia. There is a little of the vinegar smell mentioned in previous review but it does not persist. There is a very pleasant tangy taste which I can not characterize and the room note is just delicious.

Pipe Used: Steve Morrisette, Scott Klein Volcano

Age When Smoked: Tobacco age 4 years

Purchased From: McCranie's

Similar Blends: McCranies Red Virginia.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The topping is a light vanilla, it is very subtle and compliments the virginias very well. This tobacco is like a "top shelf" lane 1Q, but even better the red virginas interplay with the sweet topping and other tobaccos to build in flavor throughout the bowl. If your tounge is sensitive to red virginias or you want a blend that smells good. I cant think of any better! I like straight virginias; bought this when I found out McClelland shut their doors and nothing else was left. I dont like many aromatics this one is not goopy and you can still taste the quality tobaccos therein.

Pipe Used: Dedicated briars and aromatic cobs

Age When Smoked: 2017 fresh

Purchased From: Mccranies

Similar Blends: Similar topping as 1Q dont be fooled this is premium tobacco..

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (28)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A prolific reviewer on this site stated "rather ordinary in every way". If that were true then I want to know the other ordinary tobaccos. I am not an "all day smoker" I am not an "every day smoker" I am a one bowl a week smoker. I appreciate his/her reviews but disagree here. Perhaps easily overlooked if you aren't prepared to enjoy a mild tobacco.

This tobacco is genius. Very low in nicotine which is fine for us who don't smoke "all day". Tin note was sweet like simple sugar with just a fleeting hint of vinegar. Tobacco is soft and moist, red virginia ribbons, some bright, with some black chunkier pieces of what seems to be unflavored virginia cavendish. Packs easily using my best approximation of the Frank Method. First light did not take well as it is a little wet. After a few relights, it started to burn well. About 5 minutes into the pipe, the flavor kicked in and it smoked great. I got a decent hit of that red virginia tongue tingle but it never turned into a "bite" or "burn". This is truly a fantastic tobacco. Exactly what I was looking for. I purchased 4 of these tins hoping to stash some away for a decade. Not sure these will last that long. I smoke about 6-8 oz of tobacco a year and cherish my few pipes a month. This one left a lingering fantastic true sweet virginia taste after the initial sugar sweetness. I find this tobacco needs a decent amount of smoke to be enjoyed but is forgiving enough to handle it. While I tend to "sip" my virginias, this one was great with some hard full puffs. My wife commented that she really enjoyed the smell. This tobacco certainly has a natural cane sugar flavor mixed in, likely with the darker cavendish. If you like this sort of thing, this one is great. If you don't like some sugar, then don't try it. There is no flavoring or topping and the after taste is pure virginia goodness., with a little sugar on top. Works great for me.

Don't buy this stuff. All my favorite tobaccos have suddenly gone missing.

Pipe Used: Flogglewerks Dragon Egg (check these out!)

Age When Smoked: 2017 tin stamp. just purchased.

Purchased From: McCranie