Notes: This blend was Mark Ryan's entry in the 2009 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show blending competition. The burley is double toasted, and the vanilla casing is almost undetectable. It is dedicated to William Ryan, Mark Ryan's Father.

BrandD & R Tobacco
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging 40 grams tin
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.5
JimInks (2040)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The double toasted burley is very toasty, and a little sweet, grassy, earthy and nutty. I also got the sense of oats a number of times. There’s not much of the Orientals present, but they are woody, and have a very minor floral and spice hit along with some sourness. The black cavendish is apparently unsweetened, but it adds some sugar smoothness to the tobaccos. The vanilla casing is extremely mild. This is a coarse cut blend that burns at a moderate rate even when dry. And speaking of dry, the light sour dryness throughout the smoke contrasts with the sweet flavors, but has a slight sour, woody bitterness near the finish. That bitterness lingers as in the after taste as does the sweetness. Won’t bite. Has a mild to medium nicotine hit, leaves no moisture in the bowl, and while not a powerhouse, I wouldn’t classify this as an all day smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just recently finished a sample of this I received at the last Chicago Show and I really wished it was a bigger sample. It only ended up giving me Two and a half bowls, so I can't really go too in depth as I prefer to smoke more to develop a more informed opinion.

The half bowl that last smoked had the William's Delight on the bottom and some Jack Knife Ready Rubbed on top. As the bowl got to the halfway point it really started tasting good confirming what I thought of the first two bowls. I like this stuff.

It is primarily Burley to my tastes. The oriental is subtle but has a bit of sourness that plays nicely with the lightly applied topping. I can't comment on the room note, but the side stream I was picking up was very pleasant. I will be buying more of this one and may revisit this review then, but as of now I recommend this for the change up smoke for the Burley lover or for those who like aromatics with very light toppings.