A favourite among Canadian pipe smokers. A Golden Cavendish blend, with a hint of fire-cured tobacco that provides a smooth flavour and aroma.

Notes: Very little is known about this available only in Canada Brand. Just trying to find it is difficult. However it is packaged in an air tight, heat sealed, zip lock pouch.

BrandDavid's Blend
Blended Byunknown
Manufactured ByDistribution G.V.A.
ContentsCavendish, Unknown
Packaging50 Pouch
CountryCA
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It's a shame that David's Blend is not more widely known. It would appear its a brand mainly available within Canada.

My screen name speaks to who and what I am: a Sunday evening pipe smoker -- quite literally that is almost the only time I enjoy a bowl. As such, and given the exorbitant cost of tobacco within Canada, I find it very important that my pipe tobacco and pipe smoking experience be particularly enjoyable, providing a rounded experience of a cool smoke, a pleasant room note and a taste which has some body and yet is not too much for an occasional pipe smoker such as myself.

While other blends have come and gone for me (or sat idly by in my desk drawer only to go to waste), David's Blend Executive is one which fits that criteria and is one of the few pipe tobaccos that I crave more of.

I find the taste to have a certain, for lack of a better way of describing it, earthy flavouing where the tobacco flavours are allowed to speak. But that said, this is clearly an aromatic which gives of a delightful room note and smells wonderful in the pouch, not only from the first day you open it, but until the last bowl.

I cannot claim to have the depth and breadth of experience that many here would have. I do not smoke a pipe daily and I have only been partaking for 2-3 years at this point. That said, I think I may represent a certain kind of occasional pipe smoker who wants a pleasant, occasional smoke as a treat, and who wants that smoke to leave one looking forward to the next bowl. This is one of those for me.

The next time you are in Canada, I'd encourage you to pick up a pouch.

UPDATE 07/2016:

I've had another year to try out some more blends, from other aromatics, to VaPers and David's Blend Executive remains one of my favourite tobaccos. Having more room for comparison I can say that the tin note has a strong aroma of cocoa / chocolate and possibly something like figs. The chocolate angle really surprised me and it isn't something I would have thought myself drawn to. A pleasant surprise that teaches you to keep your options open.

I stand by everything I noted in my earlier review and would comment that this is not your typical aromatic. It had tastes very similar to something like F&T Cut Virginia Plug, with a medium, rich tobacco flavour that has an ever so slight chocolately twist. I was beside someone else who was smoking it recently, and all I can say is the room note is great and its just that classic, aromatic pipe tobacco smell of your father or grandfather of yesterday; simple but pleasurable.

I'd also add that unlike some aromatics, its not heavily cased. In fact when you pull it out of its pouch, it is quite dry to the touch, much like non-aromatic ribbon cut tobaccos.

Actually I've been trying some other aromatics (see my other reviews) and generally I haven't liked them -- except this one if that tells you something. (Whereas I have liked F&T CVP and Frog Morton's Cellar.)

UPDATE 07/2017:

I'm convinced that David's Blend Executive is just Lane 1 Q packaged under a different brand for the Canadian market. I spoke with my local tobacconist about this and he concurred and said others had said the same thing.

Stately Man er Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stately Man er (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Since this is my Favorite from David's, and frequently finds it's way into a pipe when I can't make up my mind it gets 4 stars. lots of Cavendish keeps it sweet, but not goopy. what the other components are, I'm not too sure, there is some burly, and a pinch of Virginia the casing is light with vanilla and caramel I think. Smoke is rich with flavor but not strong, no bite or burn, as with all David's, no PG detected so puff away. since I like to let my stuffing cellar for a few months I find it more enjoyable then fresh out of the pouch, this one in no exception since it has many components. lights easy, stays lit to the bottom with little effort, leaves clean ash and very little doddle. this one is a little more on the wet side and should be aired for 20 minutes before stuffing or it tents to give some of my pipes the gurgles. this one usually finds it's way into a pear wood bowl more often than not.

Pipe Used: various