County Cork – Just as Cork was a jumping off place for many Irish immigrants, this tobacco is the line of demarcation between aromatics and natural tobaccos. Smooth toasted Cavendish is masterfully blended with burleys and our famous 300 blend to achieve a combination of full bodied taste with a pleasant aroma.

BrandTed's Pipe Shoppe
Blended ByTed's
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
CutCube
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Extra Full
Pleasant, Extra Strong
lasix1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lasix1 (5)

I first smoked County Cork years ago while teaching at a nearby university and have continued to buy it off-and-on ever since. It is a delightful blend that I would describe as a medium English, although it doesn't taste anything like Dunhill Standard or any number of other tobaccos often referred to as medium English. It has been a staple of Ted's tobacco bar for a long, long time.

At the match the Cavendish is predominant, but the Latakia soon makes its presence known and the flavors marry and deepen throughout the bowl. They say it is mixed with Founders Blend #300, but I never really liked that blend which seemed somewhat soapy to my taste. So the Cavendish must really make a difference because the two together are sublime. I also like the cube cut which is characteristic of many of Ted's blends, especially their Burleys. It enhances the burning qualities and I rarely need more than two matches to smoke an entire bowl. Now that I'm back in the area I often visit Ted's where I am made to feel like I never left. Delightful people, always ready to talk about pipes and pipe tobacco, and their customer service, both in person and by mail is first-class. I've never found a better tobacco shop than Ted's and I've visited shops all over the world. County Cork remains my favorite blend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Punto Oro

Purchased From: Ted's Pipe Shoppe, Tulsa, OK.

IvanRuiz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IvanRuiz (4)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Extra Strong

What a great smoke. At first light you get the Cavendish straight on and it comes with a vengeance, but the Latakia is not far behind. Like most of Ted's blends this is a cube cut and burns very well. Using the breathe method further enhances the quality of the smoke and you get taste of all the different tobaccos. Oh now let's talk about the room note. There is only one word to describe it, AMAZING! It is so hard to not consider this as an aromatic blend. The room note is a sweet vanilla like scent and it lingers. When it finally fades you don't get the tobacco smell you get from other blends. I always enjoy coming back to the man cave after I have a pipe just to get that smell again. The tobacco bird well and it turns into fine white ash at the bottom of the bowl. No dottle is good in my book. Smoke it in a big bowl pipe as it never looses its flavor. I usually use a savinelli 320 is. If you have a chance to stop by Ted's make sure you pick this one and also the 300 blend. You won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320KS, Peterson system