Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor. After the bowl is done, expect a pleasant lingering sensation on your palate with no bitterness at all. Mild enough to be an all-day smoke, Butternut Burley leaves a pleasant room note sure to be a hit even with the non-smokers in the crowd. Butternut Burley is the perfect tobacco to introduce a beginning pipe smoker to the fine art, and is sure to be a favorite of seasoned veterans as well

Notes: According to Rich Gottlieb at 4Noggins, Hearth & Home Butternut Burley (how the product is listed on 4N website) is the same product as Pipesandcigars.com's "Scotty's Butternut Burley," no difference - email communication, Nov. 2015

Brand4noggins
Strength
Taste

3.8
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I can't remember for sure how I got this blend. Maybe it was Rich, the proprietor of 4noggins who sent me a sample of this with an order awhile back. Anyway, I liked it a lot! It had an all burley tobacco taste but also was enhanced with an ever so slight amount of Vanilla extract. Just enough to be interesting and not overwhelming. If you like Burley, if you like Vanilla, you'll like Butternut Burley. I need to tell Rich that he mis-named this one though. I ever tasted butter or nuts as I smoked it.

Pipestud

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)

Spot on description... Warm.. Buttery.. Vanilla with a naturally nutty presence from the burley. This is a good any time.. all the time smoke. If you like burley and I do... but you want something to give you just a little rounding out sweetness without being overbearing.. THIS is your blend. One of the few quasi aro blends that I always reach for.. plus.. you can get this at a great Bulk Price.. so what could be better. So... want some burley tobacco that won't bowl you over? Looking for something that will be an all day blend but wont break the bank? Want to turn some heads when you light up your pipe? This one hits on all marks. Two Thumbs Up... All Day Long Happy Smoking Cheers Mike

Pipe Used: GBD Signature

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

blessed2bcursed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blessed2bcursed (1)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

let's just start saying I am a newbie and switched from cigarettes the last 2 months.I did start with aros like just most of the switchers , but have tried different "natural" tasting tobaccos. This is what stand in between. a full body given by the burley I would say, with a wonderful sweet, caramel like flavour. In the beginning I was puffing too hard and getting a bit of a bite, but after 3-4 bowls I started puffing slower and getting everything out of the tobacco. An easy smoking , great tasting aro for every type of smoker.

Pipe Used: pipex stefanou

Purchased From: 4noggings

Yum, I like this one a lot. Nice mild note of butter, very mild Burley nuttiness, toasted vanilla sweetness from the Black Cav. Tastes good enough to eat. This is one of the smoothest blends I've ever smoked. Just wonderful.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Benefits from a short drying time. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Patriot

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

JimInks (2038)

A straight burley blend that offers a bit of molasses, nuts, and earth. The honey. butter and vanilla toppings work well together with a the vanilla being lightly more obvious than the others. They do tone down the aspects of the burley a mite, but don’t drown them out. Has very little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool, clean and slightly fast with a very smoothly sweet, consistent flavor. Requires an average number of relights, but leaves a little moisture at the finish as it does burns a tad wet. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. An all day smoke that doesn’t wear out its welcome.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a Burley lover, I gotta give Butternut Burley four stars. The vanilla are unobtrusive in both the jar and the smoke, leaving a fabulous codger Burley taste to come through. Too many aromatics forget that a blend is supposed to taste like tobacco, but BB nails it. This is classified as an aro, but it would be just as if not more accurate to classify it simply as a wonderful Burley. If you like a nic hit, this one provides a bit, though it won't spin your head.

No bite, all delite. It packs, lights and burns good right down to white ash. Smoke it slow and cool or you will get a touch of bitterness toward the end. You can smoke this all day, and I do.

I don’t ever want to be without Butternut Burley again, it’s that good. (And I have not been.) As a sidenote, 4Noggins now offers Butternut Burley for sale in the Hearth & Home section of its website, NOT in the 4Noggins blends. According to a private email to me from Rich Gottlieb at 4Noggins, this is the same product as Scotty's Butternut Burley. This BB gets significantly better reviews overall here on TR.com than does the Scotty's BB, which provides food for thought, indeed.

Similar Blends: Scotty's Butternut Burley (same product).

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)

Is a very good blend. One of my Favorites.

It is an Aromatic Mixture ,sweet, but based on Burley, not on Virginia.

In the mixture, i seen coarse cutted light, golden Burley and some Black Cavendish Tobacco (Cavendish Burley?).

In the smoke, the flavour seems Nuts, but also sweet and vanilla elements.

The taste is sweet, but toguether somewhat bitter, common in Burley mixtures. One of the best Burleys. It burns well, easy to pack and fit, easy to smoke. Low to Medium Nicotine.

Pipe Used: AN Savinelli, Roma, Bent Billiard.

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: a friend

surfnspy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
surfnspy (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Ok, I like this blend. A lot. As bad of a piper as I am, I had zero trouble keeping this lit. None. I felt like a pro. It smells great, tastes great and is smooth. As much as I was truly enjoying it my gf said it was throwing off a lot of smoke. To me, that's a good thing!

She said her eyes were burning and she's a good sport about me smoking in the den so I put my pipe down. It smells good in the bowl after its smoked. There is a pleasant after taste as well.

I'm going to be enjoying more of this in the future and will report back my findings. So far, I found this blend very pleasurable to smoke. Time will tell if I've stumbled upon a winner and a regular fixture in the rotation. 3 stars for now!

Pipe Used: Comoy's sandblasted bent bulldog

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

4noggins/Pipesandcigars - Butternut Burley/Scotty's Butternut Burley.

This is what I call a damn good aromatic!

The mixture isn't too coarse, the most of it's uniform, midsized ribbons. The pouch gives off a rich, aromatic aroma, and the moisture's great.

I can't think of too many blends that have as relaxed a flavour. The aromatic additions are easy to taste, but not too strong. The vanilla gives a creaminess, that's only enhanced by the butter. The honey adds sweetness, but not in a 'cloyingly' fashion. The smoke has a heavy build, making the smoke ultimately palpable on the palate. Bite? None! A bowl of this couldn't behave any better, it hardly needs any maintenance once lit.

The room-note: to die for. The nicotine: mild to medium; more toward medium.

Simple to rate: highly recommended.

Four stars.