A light loose and ready rubbed Cavendish blend consisting of quality mild flue-cured Virginia tobaccos with some light Burleys. Straight Cavendish cut.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
2.0
Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I disliked this one immediately. It tasted like soap to me. Smell reminded me of some kind of plastic, or scented candles. I did not smoke enough of it to find out, but although the taste is very mild, it felt as though it was going to bite me.

Did not finish bowl one.

UPDATE: I tried again, with more perseverance. The last half of the bowl was not as noxious as the top. I could actually taste a little tobacco flavor. I think I am going to try to salvage the stuff by heating it in the oven. Maybe some of the flavoring will boil off.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Smooth, a Strange Tasting Flavor, a bit of an After Taste

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am with DaSquid on this one almost across the board. When I first opened the pound I bought and loaded up a briar billiard I thought, "Eh...so-so". I smoke mainly English/Latakia blends with some VaPers as morning smokes usually and hence I was not too surprised. I split my pound into two Mason jars and put them up for two years (in other words, forgot about it).

When I ran out of my normal VaPer morning blend I dug around, found these jars and, in a MM cob along with coffee, found a gem. It had mellowed into a very pleasant smoke indeed. Nothing fancy but a smoke which ends with a smile on my face and anticipation for another bowl at evening's end (to finish a day of heavy blends).

If it's cased at all it is only a small amount of sugar. No PG aftertaste either, which is a huge plus. It deserves a higher rating, a sleeper.

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)

At first I thought this was just a so-so blend, and had no real intentions of re-ordering it. I tried it with different pipes in the afternoon and evening, and it just didn't do anything for me.

Then I tried it in a corncob with a cup of plain black coffee early one Saturday morning. Bingo! This is now my morning ritual: Corncob full of Stokkebye and a mug of black coffee. (A basic MM Legend on weekdays during my short commute to work, and a bigger Great Dane Egg on the weekend). It has a wonderfully simple light Virginia flavor to it, with just a hint of Burley, and a sweet note that I can only describe as baker's sugar. The room note is quite nice, and makes me think of a freshly baked glazed breakfast pastry.

I smoke at least three pipes during a weekday and at least five pipes on Saturday and Sunday, and I always like to start off light and end up with an English/Balkan or a VaPer for my final pipe of the day. Stokkebye Natural is my favorite morning pipe, and it primes me for the fuller blends thast I prefer as the day progresses. I pack it light, sip it, and have never had any tongue bite.

Is it a complicate blend? No, but I don't want complicated in the moning. I just want a pleasant pipe and cup of coffee (or so) to get me going, and Stokkebye Natural excells at this. This is not a belnd that you can puff on like a chimeny and expect to send you rocketting into the stratosphere - it's a quiet and gentle morning stroll, and I highly recommend it to anybody who prefers peace and quiet in the morning.

PlaneGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PlaneGuy (6)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

For a time, I worked for a friend who owned a tobacco shop. One of his blends used PS-1 (Natural). The stuff smelled so good, I had to try it plain... Big mistake. The taste is flat, and it burns hot. I recommend it ONLY to be blended with other tobaccos!

Sator Arepo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sator Arepo (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Being a novice and also a fan of several other Stokkebye blends, I thought I'd give "Natural" a try. The name and blonde color suggested that I'd get unadulterated Virginia/Burley composition and flavors with little top flavoring or casing influence.

Whoops.

I suppose I'm a fan of English blends, because I found that the Natural tastes strongly of vanilla, nuts, and whiskey. There is an underlying brioche note and a pleasant base of grassy/mown hay flavors, but I find them completely overwhelmed by [what I percieve as] added flavorings.

It's light, and would probably be friendly for aromatic smokers. There is a nuttiness in the (I'm guessing) Burley-and-Virginia-based Cavendish that is complimented by the nuttiness in the flavorings, but that's really my favorite thing about it. I don't even know if I'll finish the ounce I bought.

Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am amused that most of the reviews of this blend talk about it being mild, but then state that it is a tongue burner. I find it to be the opposite. I think it would be a great all day blend as it does not tongue bite, it does not over whelm the senses, it has a very good VA flavor with some fullness added to it by the burley the farther one smokes it down the bowl. I ordered some of this hoping it would be similiar to Amphora Brown, of which I smoked for the best part of 20 years before it stopped being available in the US. It is is that genre, very Danish, and I find it lights up well, stays lit, and burns down to a nice fine grey ash with just a little dottle in the bottom of the pipe. It has a very nice room note. It comes as a ribbon cut in a uniform brown color, the pouch aroma is very sweet and to me the topping on it suggests honey. Pack it loose and it is gentle as a lamb, I can smoke several bowls in succession, but pack it tight and it can get a little bitey, but that is because one then tends to over puff to make it stay lit. But sips properly, it is similiar to smoking a light VA blend, and a nice one at that. For the price of this blend, it is a real bargain and it does make a nice mixer with other blends. I feel this blend is one of the underappreciated ones out there as it is not a true VA smoke yet it is not an aromatic either, kind of a crossover. I say try it and smoke it properly and find out for yourself how enjoyable this blend is. I recommend it and am flying through a 4 oz bag of this in record time. I will buy more of this blend for those days I want something VA sweet but not complicated.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm a big fan of the Stokkebye range with Pressed Burley and Cube Cut being amongst my all time favourite tobaccos.

But I loathe this! It's not the slightest bit natural: as has been mentioned, it has the strangest topping, and...oh, who cares, there are many better blends out there.

Glennc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glennc (1)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

By itself this blend is pleasant, but not remarkable. There is a slight anise topnote to the pouch aroma, but I don't detect it while smoking. It's a gentle blend that doesn't bite, but doesn't deliver much flavor either.

Lately, I've taken to using this as a base to blend with other tobaccos such as latakia or other blends like Five Brothers. There are lots of possibilities here. I continue to experiment.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend is for those who prefer an extremely mild, semi sweet and slightly top flavored pipe tobacco for an all day smoke, this is a golden Cavendish of Virginia/Burley semi sweet and slightly flavored with Anis, I did not find the smoke tasteless, it has a very pleasing taste of sweet Virginia, it is particularly gentle on the palate and on the tongue, the anis top flavoring is delightful.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (37)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Stokkebye's "Natural" is a somewhat bitey version of Kentucky Club Mild (in the blue can). Both blends use a casing sauce, which I strongly suspect is coumarin: a fruity, perfumey, vanilla-like chemical found in many plants, including the tonka bean. I also find this same taste in Stokkebye's Cube Cut, which has a very similar taste, but different burning properties.

I recommend you take a pass on this one, or buy the smoother, bite-free Kentucky Club Mild (which is probably less expensive too).

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Well, this is my first review but the tobacco has prompted me to do this. Like others have said, this is not bad but, "Oh the sting!" I am not sure if it is me, my taste or what but this stuff hurts! The smell is great to me, the taste is, well, just ok. It is really very mild tasting. I'd say just a touch stringer than Prince Albert and similar in flavor to me. I am in experimentation mode and am tasting several tobaccos. This was Monday's choice. I may use what is left to blend into something else. I won't buy it again however due to the bite! I do feel there is a bit more nicotine in this than some I have tried.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Natural? What's so natural on this blend? Had it been named "Kumquat" it might have gotten a better review from me, because that's exactly what I taste.

A major tongue biter. Towards the end of the smoke you get to really taste nice Virginias and Burley, but by then you'll feel nauseated by the kumquat topping and your scorched tongue won't be able to enjoy much anyway.

Stay away.

HoopleHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HoopleHead (11)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

On it's own, this is a tongue biter and really not much flavor other than it's grassy smoke. It's quite inexpensive, however, so I use it for blending... always good to start with something already halfway there!

Blend 1 part Stokkebye Natural, 1 part McClelland Caramel and 3 parts Lane 1Q and you'll find a special synergistic explosion that could well become your mainstay! It has just a hint of Caramel, a tiny grassy smokey taste and the sweet choc/vanilla of the 1Q, but is very satisfying and tasty!

Recommended in the blend described, but not on it's own.

From Utopia, TX... hava goodun!

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Wow- a Virginia with little flavor. Only the light taste of smoke.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Though this is a rather plain Viginia & Burley mix, in the Danish style, I find myself returning to it quite often. It's very similar to Mac Baren's Mixture (aka Scottish Mixture), though the Stokkebye is a bit less tangy. It's probably been sweetened a bit, but not too much. This is one of my favorites.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I am ashamed to be smoking this in a briar; it deserves a corncob at the most.

The casing is strong and hurts, rather than enhances, the Virginias present.

I'm told on good authority that Satan himself profers this blend to newly-arrived guest smokers hearkening unto his Infernal Kingdom. It verily gives them pause at how truly nasty and custom-fitted a Hell they have earned by their graven misdeeds.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Natural by Peter Stokkbye - light and mild. Everything about this is faintly present. I'm not too sure what else to add other than to echo that this may be a good one if you want something to smoke but don't care for enjoying a pipe...good perhaps for some smoke signals...Having said that I would smoke this all day long compared to the drugstore blends...anyday.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

More like two and a half stars. Didnot enjoy the flavoring. Am cellaring for now in hopes of improvement. We will see.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I second Eulenberg's impressions of this tobacco. I tried Pete's Natural just a month or so ago and had a lot of trouble tasting anything other than the mildest of Virginia sweetness.

If light and mild tastes good to you, then so will this. As for me, I prefer something with a little more flavor.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Like Baren's Navy Flake. Like a tea biscuit. Pleasant, I should think, for those who prefer the lightest, non-aromatic, quality compositions.