Bosun is one of the classics which helped put Gawith Hoggarth on the map . The special Virginia casings compliment the top notes derived from the addition of sharper flavours including oil of cloves and rose geranium .

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith Hoggarth
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Floral Essences
CutPlug
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Gawith Hoggarth Bosun Plug. As usual this needs the usual firm prep' associated with plug tobacco, I set aside a good half hour and sit with my razor sharp knife slicing it in to thin pieces, across the grain so that I can rub it out like a flake. Once it is shredded and rubbed I take a sniff and straight away get a floral aromatic note with a slight sweetness as well. Normally I find plug tobaccos a complete pain to keep lit, it's not the tobacco's fault it's simply because I have been lazy in the prep' but due actually spending time on this it burns brill'. This has a definite aromatic side, most of which is a sort of herb, floral addition. The lightest additive is the alcohol, I can detect a sort of 'malty scotch whiskey' note but it is not the strongest. The tobacco's used give a good nicotine hit, to put it simply it is very strong! At the end of my pipe the only remnant in the bowl is a pure grey ash, no dottle whatsoever. Considering how floral this one is I wonder how flower like their 'Rose Geranium' plug will be! The flavour of this is kind of like St Bruno on steroids, don't take that as a negative as it scores a solid three stars!

Pipe Used: Rattray Six Friends