A traditional blend of Golden Virginia tobaccos blended with Black Cavendish. Handspun tobacco wrapped by whole tobacco leaves aged in spuncakes.

Notes: Discontinued. Replaced with Luxury Bullseye Flake in 2006.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.6

Based on a 4 bowl sample. Mine came pretty well rubbed out. Bag aroma was non-descript virginia. As for taste, in a blind test I would have guessed this was a Mac Baren blend. Plenty of tongue sizzle unless I puffed much slower than most blends demand. Kind of a sugared honey flavor under the lemon virginia. I found this one devoid of much character and I can certainly understand why it was discontinued. I don't find Luxury Bullseye Flake to be a world beater, either, but it was definitely preferable to this.

I rehydated a bowls-worth and it didn't sizzle as much but the flavor kind of went south, and there wasn't enough to begin with. Very slow sipping where the bowl threatens to extinguish made this an ok blend for me, but it simply wasn't flavorful enough for me to mourn its passing. I have a lot of respect for Stokkebye blends, but this one just didn't work for me. But this is certainly not a bad tobacco and if you can score some, by all means jump on it. You may find it more to your taste than I did.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Very similar to Mac Baren's DARK TWIST (cf my review.) Pleasant, but too light for me.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I have smoked a few ounces of this now, from a jar dated 2006.

Sweet smelling Va's with that distinct tanginess smell of Perique. Visually appealing, these coins appear very dark for what they consist of. Almost appear to be Dark Kentucky, with a wisp of light colored Va leaf here and there.

This blend is and has always been at the right smoking moisture. Rubs out very easily, but the remainder of the few ounces I have are almost completely ready rubbed. Lights easily, initial taste is sweet, with the Perique mustiness in the front. As one who has a sensitive tongue, I am not getting any reaction from this blend. Smokes very consistent, only a few relights in the beginning. Stays dry to the bottom of the bowl. Towards the end it does get a bit ashy tasting, but nothing that would stop me from smoking to the bottom of the bowl.

Am I upset this is discontinued? Not really. This doesn't really stand out one way or the other. There are so many high quality VaPer's on the market today, no sense pining over this middle of the road blend.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The golden Virginias have dull grass/hay and citrus, with a touch of honey and spice. The unsweetened black cavendish offers a little brown sugar, but doesn't do enough to tame the bite potential, which it will do if puffed beyond a moderate pace. Will give you a warm tongue no matter what you do. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns a little slow with an inconsistent flavor mainly due to how this curly cut is presented to the smoker. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. The after taste is mediocre. A dull all day smoke. One and a half stars.

Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

A fellow member of http://www.tobaccoreviews.com recently sent me a large sample of this Stokkebye Curly Cut and I have now smoked several bowls.

Reader's Digest condensed version: this tobacco rubbed out easily. It packed easily. It stayed lit easily. It was very mild and semi-sweet. It had little nicotine kick. It did not bite. It is too mild for me.

Duke Nukum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke Nukum (13)

If you can't get your hands on Mac Baren Dark Twist and love the appearance of Escudo or Dunhill Navy Deluxe Rolls but find them too strong, this may be your solution.

The round, spun discs have a 'nugget' of dark Cavendish in the middle, surrounded by a Va. blend. They pack well, light well, burn well and give an enjoyable experience. However, the Va. lacks some of that 'leafy' character and the blend overall doesn't give the same experience as Mac Baren's does as it is more subdued and mild in flavour and aroma intensity.

It is, however, a good outdoors smoke and has no real negatives against it. If you like a spun product and don't want something too 'exuberant' as Dark Twist, this is your thing.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I recently discovered one of my local b&m's still has a ton of this. I had never heard of it but, being a Stokkebye fan, had to try it out. It was a bit dry but rehydrated quite nicely. After putting some moisture back into the coins I placed into a mason jar and let it sit up for about 6 months. Let me tell you, I love this stuff!

This is a dark Virginia curly cut with sweet Cavendish in the middle, sweet, tasty and mild, this Virginia is indeed very good with natural taste and flavor, the sweetness of the black Cavendish is somehow similar to Marlin Flake, this Virginia is just enough mild to please me, and ?mild? means good for me, however I did not find it that mild.

Good Virginia with good price. nothing exceptional

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Curly Cut is a fairly traditional, aged blend of Virginias and Black Cavendish. Although it presents a pretty mild smoke, it is often just what I want. On a warm summer night, when I don't want anything too heavy, this is a nice clean light smoke with just the right amount of flavor.

If I were pairing this with an after-dinner Scotch whisky, I'd choose something equally light - a lowland malt like Auchentoshan.

To date, seventeen reviewers are about evenly split between 4-, 3- and 2-stars, for an average score of 2.71 stars. Those giving it two stars all seem to complain that it is too mild. Too mild for what?, I'd ask. Too mild for when you want something heavier? Well, alright. Sometimes I DO want something stronger. But at other times, mild is just what I'm looking for.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Visually appealing, this is a nice natural tobacco. It is very mild, but what little taste it has is enjoyable. However, it bites somewhat. Its cousin, Luxury Bullseye Flake, is rounder, a touch sweeter, and smokes cooler; I much prefer LBF.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Really very mild; not what I would call tasteless and flat, but very mild. The burning characteristics are excellent, lighting and staying lit with no problem. If you're looking for something as an all day smoke that won't leave a lingering taste on your tongue, this is definitely the thing. However, those wishing for a somewhat more flavorful smoke may find it lacking.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)

This is a pleasant, light VA with, I could swear, the slightest hint of latakia. I could be totally mistaken or it could be the cake of the pipe I'm smoking.

It's a great morning blend that goes great with coffee.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In short, LCC is too mild for my tastes.

I rate this tobacco 6.0 out of 10.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I had just about given up on Peter Stokkebye tobacs after endless trials of various types on semi and full blown Aromatics. I think "Cube Cut" was the first mixture from P.S. that I really liked.(It is fairly hard to light) I then tried "Lux. Twist Flake" which is exceptional but a bit strong for frequent use. This "Lux. Curly Cut" really fills my desire for a non-biting Virginnia blend that has a fuller taste than straight Virginnia. The burn qualities of this curly cut tobac are better than a straight flake type and lasts almost as long. Mild enough to smoke early in the day and still rich enough to be satisfying. I don't think this product description includes Perique as a component. My taste buds say there is or some combination that emulates Periques' spicy-peppery effect. A very good alternative to flake-type tobacs.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is another nice tobacco from PS. It is very easy to smoke. It lights and burns easily-smokes cool, and dry. The flavor is natural and very light with a mild sweetness to it. Even when provoked, I could not get it to bite! There is no bad aftertaste at all. It is a somewhat one dimensional smoke. A definite all-dayer if you want a light, cool, naturally sweet smoke. I find myself wanting more flavor and complexity most of the time but this is a very good tobacco.

Depending on your source, this blend is often available in bulk but in vacuum sealed 1# packaging from the PS factory which permits easy cellaring and provides consistent moisture content. As with other curly cuts, some of the disks, that are about the size of a quarter, unraveled into long strands of ribbon. They are predominantly dark brown with some golden evident thruout from the spinning process. This blend is easy to pack, light and keep lit and even without any rubout, burns very uniformly. The room note is also less offensive to family and friends than many other straight VAs or VA/Perique blends. The taste is all natural and just high quality VA but still quite flavorful and enjoyable. Although there is not much variation in taste within a bowl and some might consider this boring, this blend and PS Twist Flake are in my normal rotation as all day smokes. If you enjoy straight VAs that are on the mild side, give this one a try.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have quickly developed a strong liking to Stokkebye?s tobaccos, at least to the non-scented ones. While they are not something out of the ordinary, the tobacco grades used, and Stokkebye?s pressing/processing techniques, produce very mild yet flavoursome blends, naturally tasting?with that toasty flavour another reviewer referred to, and which I particularly appreciate?and with a very pleasant and unobtrusive room aroma.

Luxury Curly Cut is an excellent natural smoke. There si no other element but straight Virginias: no Perique, no Burley, just a plain, rich tasting Virginia leaf(Southeast Usa and Zimbabwe), very similar to Navy Flake, perhaps a little bit darker in colour, and very tasty. It packs easily (some of it comes in small coin like disks, and some of it comes in long ribbon strands), and has a wonderful burning rate. As with all Virginias, slow puffing is advised. Though I personally did not suffer any tongue bite from Curly Cut, it did get slightly astringent after the mid bowl mark, and tended to taste slightly sour. Then again, it?s a straight Va, isn?t it? By the end of the bowl I perceived some flavours that hit the lower taste range: toasty, dark, almost peppery undertones that mingled beautifully with theprevious inconspicuous sourness, providing a delightful tang.

Different from the Dunhill/Rattray/Gawith Vas? range, this tobacco is as good as McClelland?s Bulk 5100-Red Cake (in fact, IMO it is even better); it is also sold in bulk form, but with the advantage of not having any of that BBQ-acidic-vinegary smell. I highly recommend it as a good Va. that can easily be included in every rotation.