Blended from superior Golden African Virginias, Burley's and mild Black Cavendish tobaccos. Cavendish and Loose cut.

Notes: Also sold as Tinderbox North Sea.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
Strength
Taste
2.5
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A good friend of mine used to work at one of the Tenderbox chain stores. He says this Stokkebye blend (North Sea/Kentucky Nougat), was off the charts in sales compared to almost every other proprietary blend they sold. Naturally, I wanted to try it and am glad I did.

This is an aromatic in the most general of terms. The pouch aroma and actual smoking presentation are totally different, IMO. After your sniffer screams "SWEET AROMATIC!" your palate will scream "QUALITY TOBACCO!"

I love the flavor of a good Burley... You can taste it here. I love the flavor of a good Virginia... You can taste it here. I love Honey Nut Cheerios... You can taste it here.

Cool burning, non-cloying and doesn't ghost your good briars.

drsluggo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drsluggo (3)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Although I am in the Virginia phase of my 38 year pipe smoking voyage, I received some of this popular aromatic for Christmas, and I am glad I gave it a try. The opening note is mild and fruity, with Cavendish and Virginia predominating. The smoke is copious and tasty at any time of day. The middle third is similar to the first, but a bit more muted. The bottom third of the bowl has a Burley prodominance, but never gets bitter, although the topping is largely burnt off. It holds a light and burns clean and dry, to a dark grey dottle. The nicotine load is quite mild, and it probably will never make anyone's room spin. I have received compliments from all but the worst tobacco Nazis (and I know too many of them) on the room note. All in all, a terrific smoke. Highly recommended.

Wince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wince (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

One of my first tobaccos. On buying this, you will stink of licorice and sweets. This stuff stinks! Often overpoweringly so. I sneeze every time I sniff this baccy. The brown and black leaf smells like Christmas cake and is scrummy on the nose. It packs well and stays lit after the char light. Moisture was just right. The treat is the smell it kicks out. Very sweet and very pleasant and you will have armies of people sniffing around you.

However, the taste is a big decider, and this tastes good. Overwhelmingly sweet at first, it tastes very toffee-ish but this soon dies down mid smoke and becomes a little dull. It doesnt bite if you smoke slowly (it will rip your tongue if you puff away though) and doesnt ghost your pipe. I enjoyed it but what I didnt enjoy was the syrupy goo in my bowl and the fact that no matter how I smoked, this gurgled and was a very wet smoke.

That said, I will buy this again

Kev-La Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kev-La (2)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

First of all, I should preface this review by admitting that I have only just taken up regular pipe smoking and am therefore quite inexperienced. With this in mind, however, I do feel confident enough to write this short review.

I started with a small loose sample of this tobacco from my local specialist. Upon opening the pouch, there is a strong but yummy whiff of confection. I think I can detect nougat, but my girlfriend, with her amazingly powerful non-smoker's nose, claims it's licorice (but then she said that about two other tobaccos I tried recently...) It wasn't very moist at all, so without further ado, I loaded my pipe with Peter Stokkebye's Kentucky Nougat.

This tobacco burns relatively well, given perhaps two or three lights, and offers a creamy and delicious smoke. The flavouring is evident in the smoking, though much less strongly than the fragrance from the packet suggested, as I believe from reading other reviews, to be the norm with such aromatics. It has a sweet, slightly nutty flavour and we both find the room note to be strong but pleasing. Some quite strong puffing eventually provokes a slight gurgle, but nothing that a gentle blow down the stem didn't evaporate.

So, a strong recommendation from a beginner, for what it's worth ;)_,~

Primitiveman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Primitiveman (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has been the mainstay of my smoking for years, though rather less so since I discovered the mighty Samuel Gawith (thanks to these very pages). Still my favourite. The room note is sweet, almost cloying, so well tolerated by non-smokers. The taste of the smoke is less overpowering, but still has a sweet nutty toffeeish flavour. Packs extremely well, easy to keep lit, even though I like to smoke it while slightly on the damp side. Had it not been for Kentucky Nougat I probably would have given up the pipe years ago. It lacks the complexity that an experienced piper would want, so have given it 3 stars rather than 4. An ideal beginners smoke.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I find this a delightful clean smoke from start to end. The taste alternates between a rich creamy oatmeal to mild chocolate. It burns nice and slow and the strong casing is evident in every single delicious mouthful.

The nicotine hit is good as is usual with such mixtures. And unlike some aromatics is smokes quite dryly.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Tantric is spot-on with his review of this tobacco. I think only this tobacco's spicy edginess distinguishes it from any number of other boring aromatics. Not a keeper. But maybe good for beginning smokers.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

My experience follows previous reviewers. This tobacco has a chocolate taste somewhat reminiscent of Lane's 1Q, but it is not overpowering; indeed every puff has both the taste of the flavoring but also lets you know that you are smoking Virginia tobacco. Even though it needs to be smoked slowly, it stayed lit and burned cleanly.

I purchased an ounce of this tobacco, and I suspect I will enjoy it very occassionally over the next few months or so. Not something I would smoke on a regular basis, but for the very, very occasional after dinner smoke it isn't bad at all.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

After trying many of Stokkebye's aromatics, I finally gave this one a go. It's a mix of brown and black leaf, with the brown being the majority of the blend. The pouch aroma is extremely nutty and hints of things like chocolate, vanilla, etc. The cut is a ribbon cut but like all of Stokkebyes blends, there's a fair share of broken flake too. I find the broken flake to mean quality tobacco and time involved, plus it slows down the burn and cools things off some. This one will burn forever and will need a couple re-lights to get through the bowl. It's not overly wet, but will leave a dottle if not smoked in a meerschaum or a well broken in pipe. A filter pipe might do this blend best. The taste is nothing like the pouch aroma and the tangy Virginias hit you right away. During the bowl, you'll get a few hints of the nutty/chocolate taste but it doesn't last long at all. It's a typical Danish blend in the sense that the natural leaf will dominate the casings. It's also fairly complex and very spicy-something I've found in blends like Dan's Patriot Flake but never in an Aromatic before. The aftertaste really reminds me of a mild salsa. I like it but wouldn't recommend it to new smokers because of the spice, moisture and the tendency to puff a little too fast to get more flavor.

Update: After smoking a bunch of this, I realized the spicy/bitey taste is not really up my alley. I'll keep some around for the occasional smoke, but won't buy any more

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I was given this as a present from a friend who just visited the US. I had previously smoked it socially (definitely a crowd pleaser), but it is not a tobacco that I would keep. Funny: in the plastic bag, the blend has a very strong and pungent chocolate-vanilla smell, to the point I double wrap it. But once you smoke it, the flavor is quite mute and sober (the exact contrary of, say, Borkum Riff's Black Cavendish or Cherry Cavendish), not at all cloying or enervating, and, oddly enough, the aroma does not infest the pipe!.

I enjoy this as a very occasional morning or early evening smoke. It produces a pleasant room atmosphere (kids love it, though they shouldn't be near it) and the chocolate scent tends to dissipate quickly.

The problem for me is that the tobacco taste, though present, tends to be too elusive and ethereal. Its mildness does not produce tongue bite, but I don't really get that tobacco satisfaction that I find in other aromatics, such as Clan or Larsen's Selected Blend No 80 (my favorite aromatic). But this is definitely a fine, mild smoke, very elegant and refined, and an excellent way to enjoy a pipe or two when in the company of unknown people.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has a nice creamy smoothness to it & I enjoyed it very much. I think it's good for both the new comer & very nice for those who seek a sweet "non sickly" taste! (It's not a goopy sweet tobacco) The Virginia taste is there with a suttle sweetness without being overpowering,the Burley & Cavendish are just perfectly formed in the back ground as well.It also hold's it's taste very well,without being boring. In it's class-I'll give it 3 Out of 4 Star's.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

I smoked this as North Sea a couple years ago.

Although I smoke mostly Virginias today, this blend I remember well. It was a very nice aromatic. Nice tasting and nice smell. I had several positive comments about it's aroma.

A sweet nutty taste with a background hint of deep chocolate. Not strong, but making a cameo appearance from time to time.

As the description states above; the Tinderboxes that I have visited have all stated that North Sea was a very good seller.

If your in aromatics, try this one out.