Exhibiting a fragrance redolent of the exotic mysteries of the east, a blend of well-aged Virginias, cool burning Burleys, alluring Latakia and Macedonian leaf, form a fascinatingly nuanced, medium bodied smoke.

BrandSavinelli
None Detected, Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Appalachian Apprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Apprentice (3)

I had a chance to sample this at a local tobacco shop. In the tin, the note is somewhere between apricot and red wine. The tobacco itself was a bit moist out of the tin. It is a log, medium-fine, shaggy tobacco that packs very well. On the light, a fair amount of sweetness came through. After the tobacco was lit and I had settled into the smoke, I realized that the scent from the tin is similar to the scent and flavor in the pipe. Not nearly as strong as the tin note, however, and there was an added smokiness that joined the flavors nicely. The Virginias and I believe the Macedonian leaf seems to take the lead in this blend with the Latakia adding a pleasant non-typical smokiness. The bowl was pleasant and easy to keep lit. Some moisture did accumulate (probably due to me not letting it air out before packing.) The flavor swirled nicely along a continuum of sweet smoky floral...just enough to keep my attention with all the notes coming to the front from time to time (but none dominating or disappearing.) It wasn't quite an aromatic and not quite what I would consider a full blown English. I would consider it a nice balance between the two.

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (18)

First of all, if you love heavy English blends as your steady diet, you probably will find this blend unsatisfying. This is "English Lite". I enjoy strong English tobacco. That said, I love this blend as a morning tobacco with my coffee. Open the tin and a wonderful aroma enters the nose. LIght and fragant, with an almost citrus odor. I'd swear i'd smelled this before, but it might be (sing it boys!), "just my imagination, runnin way with me." This blend packs easily and when smoking, needs no relights. A masterly blended tobacco, its different leaves mix wonderfully for a nice, smooth smoke. There is absolutely no bite to this blend. I could easily see this as an all-day blend, leaving the heavy artillery for night smoking. This blend will be in my rotation as long as they make it (and DO NOT change it!).

Pipe Used: Ashton bent billard

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The first thing I notice when I start smoking this blend is how sweet it is. The topping must be red wine. The Virginias are tangy and fruity sweet with some earth. The burleys are a minor player, and at times, barely noticeable beyond a little nuttiness. The Cyprian latakia is also a minor player, and offers smoke and wood more than it does flavor. The Oriental/Turkish is floral with a very slight dry note and wood, and though evident in every puff, it, like the other components, takes a back seat the sweetness of this mixture, which never weakens. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Burns cool and slow, and may need some dry time, and certainly requires some relights. Leaves a little moisture at the finish. No bite. It has a fragrantly sweet room note and a lingering after taste. Probably too sweet to be an all day smoke. As sweet an English as I have ever smoked, it's virtually an English-aro.

Pierre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pierre (14)

I made my first review VERY lengthy, but I reconsidered all the details and figured this review could be shortened up a lot. It's an English Aromatic, so expect just that. Smells fruity, specifically like grapes to me, maybe fake, maybe not. Doesn't actually taste fruity, but there is a sweetness. Latakia is very muted, VA's as well. I don't get as much out of burleys as others, so I think that's what dominated this blend, and why everything else was not as prominent as it usually is (strong english blends have tons of lat, strong VA blends have tons of VA). Altogether, the combination was fine, just not strong enough or distinctive in any way for me. Lat barely came through, VA is even less so, and I assume the burleys weren't cooperating? I don't mean to say it's a boring blend, it's just fine for an everyday smoke. Not too heavy, good for the morning, good for after dinner. If you like "stout" in your tobacco like me, this will not be the blend for you.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Klodt Freehand

Purchased From: Gifted from Reddit

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

By far this is a tobacco made for women pipe smokers. It smells like flowers. I don't know why but that is all I get from it. It is not an English so I don't know why folks call it that. I have tried this now on 4 seperate bowls and all have had the same result. Half way down I lose interest and get it out of my pipe. Flavor starts out ok. But as you smoke whatever the casing that is put here dies and fades away. In all very weak.

Pipe Used: Captain Black

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: New York

Capt Chris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt Chris (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Today I was buying from barclay rex NYC where there had some tobaccos you could try. I decided to try essenza cipriota just for curiosity because when I opened the tin the smell wasn't great or astonishing or nothing that could call my attention. But, I decided to give it a try anyways and was pleasently surpised. It was a very easy mild, nice smoke. It lights up easily and stays that way throughout. The room note is really nice and the flavour is simple and easy going. I am including this one in my favorites. The only downside at least for me was that i would have thought to be more on the mild strenght. I could feel the nicotine (i regulargly smoke squadron leader or nightcap). A tin of surprises!

Purchased From: Barclays Rex

pylorns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylorns (13)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The floral note to it is strong, and for a second I thought it was a lakeland. But I was surprised at the flavor and room note. It's a very good smoke, breakfast or lunch! The orientals in this flourish throughout the whole bowl, and while there is some latakia in it I'm told - I don't notice it at all.

Purchased From: Trade

Similar Blends: Smoker's Haven - Select Mixture.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Latakia is light, but provides an ample enough smoky note. The Virginias and Orientals lead with the Virginias providing some fruit and tang and the Orientals providing a woody herbal/floral note. The sweetness seems to be a little more than the Virginias normally can provide and must be coming from a topping. The Burley can barely be noted in the background giving a hint of nuts. Overall a pretty good English blend. Solid 3.

Mild to medium in body. Flavoring is very mild. Taste is medium. Burns fairly well, needs a few relights.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

Purchased From: Mars cigars and pipes

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (72)

Popping a new tin of Essenza Cipriota, one smells first apricots and plum over the slightly musty (not dusty) blend. The ribbons range mostly from orange/gold to medium brown, with some darker bits I suppose are Latakia. The initial smell from the topping fades pretty fast, but it remains for the smoke. After a day or two, rose (or rose geranium) comes up, and it all unfurls quite nicely in the smoke, when it’s dried before smoking. The VAs are flue and air cured, along with a little stoved. In the tin their overall, sweet grassiness is more or less swamped by the loamy Macedonian leaf and the woody smoke from a small portion of Old School, Cyprian Latakia. I don’t smell the Burley here. Because of the topping and the fine, ribbon cut, I prefer EC dried some before I smoke it. Otherwise, it can be slightly acrid and a trifle "oily", which I dislike. Once it's dried, I pack it tightly into a number 4 briar and tamp and smoke it gently, to keep its fine ash out of my mouth. Again, the originally prominent toppings fade quickly a short while after the tin it’is opened, but they and the rose are present during the smoke, Though smelled and tasted top to bottom, they are properly restrained and wholly complimentary to the well-met, well-melded tobaccos, to the point where I’m not sure I’d call EC a “crossover”, like Brunello Flake. Smoked, the sweet VAs are grassy, rich, and slightly earthy, and they are well melded with the loamy/mossy, slightly sour Macedonian leaf, which also features some fairly faint, exotic spices. The Latakia is woody, sour and “smoky”, sans incense. The Burley seems to add a little cashew, and it smooths and rounds out what might otherwise be a sharper blend. As a well-melded whole, EC smokes like a trouble free, first quality, Oriental-forward, light/medium English blend. Strength is closer to mild than medium. Tastes are closer to medium than mild. Room note is nice. Aftertaste is a sweet and sour, smoky best of the smoke, provided enough dry time before smoking it.

IMO, Essenza Cipriota deserves 4 stars for quality and relative merit as an interesting, original, light/medium “English”, based on what’s available today. So far, the more I smoke it, the better I like it, and it’s muscled its way toward Penzance in my rotation.

Pipe Used: settled on a group 4 Ashton used for English

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin and from jars.

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to Penzance....

georgariou33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
georgariou33 (16)

first of all im not a woman but a 70 year old retired businessman....second i have a collection of 105 different brands and blends....third i find this blend a very nice soft smoke with a floral nose...nice blend in a serious rotation...a keeper

Pipe Used: stanwell and big ben only

Age When Smoked: 70

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: 000.

JimmerWest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JimmerWest (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Three strikes and your Out. Three bowls and I am. I went into this believing a great pipe maker has got to have a Great tobacco. They might have it but it is not this one. After 3 bowls in 2 hours the experience was Serious Burn effects from tongue to throat. Water wouldn't resolve it and cranberry juice couldn't prevent it or Burn it Back off after those 2 hours. It literally took a huge bowl of vanilla ice cream to stop it and calm the entire scar tissue, if I may call it this. Sure felt like it was going to be.

If I continue to smoke this "Stuff" I would expect to get throat cancer in six months.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Chrisj2001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chrisj2001 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Kind of a different blend. A moderately cased latakia blend that is overall smooth and smokeable. Not cased enough to be aromatic, not enough body to be a full English, this blend does an average job trying to serve two purposes. The quality of the leaf is apparent and burns clean and dry. Very toasty with a red wine/grape undertone. 3/5.

Pipe Used: Cob/hardwood/Briar

Age When Smoked: <1 Month

Purchased From: Gifted from Reddit.