A mixture of superior Virginia and cut plug toasted burley tobaccos blended with two different types of mild black cavendish.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blended ByPeter Stokkebye
Manufactured ByPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeBurley Based
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild, Medium, Overwhelming
1.3
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The flue cured Virginia is toned down grassy and citrus sweet. The toast burleys are a little nutty and earthy with some molasses, and are also toned down. The two black cavendishes offer a dull vanilla and as ugar note. Whatever the topping is (I suspect a mild honey), it adds little to the blend. I don’t recall smoking a blend where every attribute is as muted as this mixture is. Has a mild nic-hit. It might bite if you puff like a freight train, but I did not experience that. The moisture content of the tobacco was decent. Burns slightly fast, a little smooth, and has a gentle, but boring flavor, though it picks up a little after the half way point. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and easily burns to ash. Needs an average number of relights. The after taste and room note are plain. Might make an okay all day smoke, but there’s not enough here to recommend it, though I’d not say this was a bad blend.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I bought a tin of this stuff, wondering if it was actually anything like what British occultist Aleister Crowley (1875-1947) may have been smoking when he was an influential member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. (No doubt Crowley was smoking something, but probably not tobacco.)

Like Crowley, this particular blend is a broken flake. I don't pretend to be an adept at divining the best blend in the world, but this one is not the Ne Plus Ultra. Far from it.

Stokkebye generally markets pretty good tobacco blends. But this isn't one of 'em.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is light. As noted in previous reviews, it comes a bit moist. Let it dry a bit and it lessens the bite.

I like the berry flavor. However, there is not enough tobacco taste for me. The blend is also too light for me. I probably cause my own bite by puffing too hard trying to get more flavor.

If I learn to appreciate the lighter blends, I wil be back for this one.

Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

I sampled a bowl of this from my pipe club's tobacco bar at a recent meeting. Upon taking a whiff from the tin, I debated whether to partake of the contents with my pipe or a spoon. After mulling it over, I chose my pipe. Wrong choice.

If wet, hot and gooey sounds good to you, you'll crave this stuff. If, on the other hand, you want to light up something that at least halfway resembles tobacco, leave Golden Dawn alone!