A base of medium strength Virginia flake , pressed with the addition of exotic Latakia . A flake for the Latakia enthusiasts . Strength is medium , flavouring is extremely mild , room note is pleasant to tolerable .

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith Hoggarth
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Flake . The unlit tobacco is really appealing , the flakes are fairly thick with a dark brown colour and they give off a very leathery aroma which does make me feel a touch disquiet towards it (in a good way !). On the negative side it is quite moist so I recommend it's given some extra time to air a little . Due to the thickness you do have to be a touch pertinacious with the preparation of this one but the smoking of it is indeed a remuneration for the hard work ! Mine takes to the flame with ease and gives a steady/even burn leaving a white ash without the smoke being too hot . The flavour is really nice , yes it contains Latakia but the Latakia doesn't steal all the limelight by being overly smoky , it is very noticeable but not too heavy , leaving room to appreciate the Virginia in the mix with its lovely Hay notes but to be honest even though it says that there is a little added flavoring I only detect the tobaccos . To be fair the Oriental/Turkish is not that noticeable , more of a gentle flavour you have to look for ! Vitamin N is a good level for me , one that is a pleasure to inhale as it wont bring on dizziness or leave you not satisfied . Tongue bite remains elusive for the whole bowl for me , even if I really strain it hard as if to implore it to bite it remains redundant ! The room note is very pleasant , albeit quite heavy , so this is a tobacco to only smoke in the company of other enthusiasts ! This one would be a perfect "end of day" smoke accompanied by a good single malt and a piece of relaxing music , or a can of lager and Coronation Street if that floats your boat ! 4 stars from me !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The Latakia is smoky, woodsy, and a little sweet, and is well complimented by the grassy, mildly sweet Virginia. The spice from the Oriental/Turkish is light, and the flake would benefit from a touch more of it. Burns well once dried a little, and has no harshness. It's a little smoother than the G&H Balkan Mixture, and isn't a lat-bomb. A pretty decent smoke, though not complex enough to stand out. Worth smoking, but it's really not special enough to rate more than two and a half stars.

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (8)

Okay so we all have different palates but upon reading some of the reviews I thought I'd throw my tuppence in! I loved this flake from the 1st light to the last puff, the flake rubbed easily, lit well and kept burning, the room note was earthy but not too heavy as is the taste...the Latakia was there giving a sweet high end to the smoke but not overpowering, no real tongue bite even at the end of a considerably large bowl...I will definitely be buying this one again just in a bigger quantity, for me it's up there with the best and if you like English blends don't hesitate to give it a go even for a relative novice (like me)

Pipe Used: Crown Viking freeform

Purchased From: GQ tobaccos

Similar Blends: Dunhill EMP, frogmorton original.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unsurprisingly, pretty much the same as GH’s Balkan Mixture but in thick flake form (I did want to try it to be sure). The tobaccos are some very good VAs mixed with a good dose of Latakia. The topping is a very mild one which tastes to me of something similar to pine resin. However, the effect of the topping (on me anyway) is akin to menthol, and the effect grows stronger as the bowl goes on, which is why I gave the flavoring the higher number. If that combo sounds good to you, give this (or the more readily available Balkan Mixture) a try. If not, stay away.

Pipe Used: meers

Age When Smoked: fresh from retailer

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Similar Blends: GH Balkan Mixture.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (117)
Medium None Detected Full Very Strong

It's an odd thing; but, despite the favourable reviews that this blend has received - I absolutely hated it. I found it harsh, hot, and bitter; also laborious to rub out and keep lit. On the strength of my experience so far - definitely not recommended. I suspect, though, that I got a bad batch; or maybe my palate was having an off day. I'll try some more of it when I can summon up the nerve, and write a fuller review. BTW: it's a Lat bomb (at least I found it so), and the room note is just plain awful.

Update, June 21 2015: Nope, I just can't like this. I'm in a minority, but I still find it a harsh, hot, bitter lat bomb. Some things just don't suit some individual palates, I guess.

Pipe Used: Peterson billiard

Mick57 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick57 (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another great flake needs to dry for a while nice mild smoke loads of lat burns nice and slow no t bite at all one of my fav balkan smokes of all time

Pipe Used: Peterson tankard and barrell rustic

Purchased From: Smokeking

Similar Blends: Balkan plug by g and h.