In long-gone times, when imposing sailships crossed the Seven Seas, English sailors were popularly called "Salty Dogs." They always took care to have a pocket-sized block of sweet Virginia tobacco with them, which they would take a slice off to then rub out and smoke in their Cutty pipes. In heavy weather, they would opt to just bite off a corner to enjoy as a stimulating piece of chewing tobacco.

Selected sweet Virginias with a small pinch of Perique, classically enhanced with Caribbean rum, are matured over a long time in the press. The result is a dark brown, full and pleasant pipe tobacco in traditional style offering you a comfortably cool and smooth smoking experience. Unlike ordinary Flakes, it was not cut into slices, but packaged as a solid piece of real plug tobacco. Enjoy it in pipes with smaller bowls. (translated from Dan Tobacco's website)

Notes: Introduced July 2014

FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Rum
Packaging50 g Pouch
Mild, Medium
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Walking into the shop at DanPipe a few weeks ago, I was immediately asked to try out their two new blends, one of which was this one. I got a nice sample of Roper's Roundels, as well as this blend. I was impressed enough with my pipeful of SD to buy a pouch (I also got a tin of RR while I was at it).

The pouch, then, contains a cellophane-wrapped bit of plug that reminds me more than a little of Peterson's PPP. Opening that cellophane wrapper, I get a sweet, VA-dominated, but also fruity whiff from the pouch... very nice.

Cutting the plug into slices, then rubbing out, results in a very docile affair that lights readily and smokes, well, docilely, with a good, deep, sweet flavour. I can't make out the rum advertised at Dan Tobacco, but it may well be there. The Perique definitely is in there, tickling my sinuses from the very beginning.

The consistency of the plug is very similar to PPP, by the way; cutting is easy enough. Cut into cubes, the smoke is a cool, very long one, with lots of flavour and a few rum-ish notes in there; the strength picks up quite noticeably towards the end though; this may not be for the faint-hearted. The Nic build-up seems to be less when sliced and rubbed. More toast in there than in either PPP or the Ilsted VA Plug, in both taste and room note.

Fully-sweet on the tongue, astonishingly good room note, may need a few relights if diced, but burning down to practically nothing... this is something I will be coming back to. Often.

I accompany this blend with a good Irish Whiskey, or the sweeter Scotch Highlands Single Malts.

Pipe Used: DB Commander III, Butz-Choquin Marseille, MM Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch through 6 months

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco

Similar Blends: Peterson - Peterson's Perfect Plug, Ilsted - Virginia Plug.

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (25)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a Va/Per plug in which the Perique does not show up much. Actually that's not exactly true; you get a fig/plum flavor that no doubt is from the Perique but none of that leaf's expected peppery spice. The dark Viginias are pleasantly sweet and a bit citrusy; very very nice indeed. There is a rum topping, but it's not overdone at all. In fact at times it's barely noticeable.

I enjoy fiddling around with plugs and that's the main reason I bought this. Just worked out that it's a good blend. The plug is quite moist and could probably use some dry time but if you dry it too much you're going to lose some of the flavor I think. I slice off flakes as thinly as I can and rub them into a shag and then load the pipe immediately, no dry time. It will need several relights and maybe a bowl stir halfway through, but for me not drying gives the best flavor, I don't mind relights.

The only bad thing about Salty Dogs is it's a bit spendy...about $17 for a 50g plug. For that money, I won't be buying it often though I do like it.

Pipe Used: A pair of Dunhills that mostly see VA blends

Age When Smoked: pouch fresh

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar Co.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The sweet dark Virginias are richly dark stewed fruity with a fair amount of citrus, and a very deep earthiness. The sweetness has a mild fermentation aspect as blocks tend to do. The perique is a minor player; much more raisins, figs, and dates than spice, the latter note is not always noticeable. I’ve no idea what fruit topping is added, but neither that nor the light application of sweet Caribbean rum detracts from the tobacco taste, and I do not consider this to be an aromatic. The nic-hit is a little less than medium, getting just a little more potent in strength after the half way point, but it’s never overwhelming. Both the strength and taste is a shade more than medium. The block may take a little cutting and it’s moist, but it’s not a chore. I tore it apart with my fingers, and peeled off thin layers, which I cut into small flake-like pieces before each smoke, leaving the block as intact as possible for as long as I can. Burns slow and requires relights. It’s not very complex, but it’s very creamy smooth and creamy with no weakening of flavors, no dull or harsh spots. I didn’t dry it any, but was able to burn it to finish though it left a little moisture in the bowl without dottle. The sweet, earthy after taste pleasantly lingers. Not quite an all day smoke, but if you use a small bowl, which I recommend, it’s easily repeatable during your smoking day.

Baldrick1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baldrick1 (1)
Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable

If you like Mick Mcquaid Plug this tobacco is for you. It is more fruity taste. But taste is great. It is very wet from the pouch but you can cut it very easy. If you like aromatic plugs give it the try.

Purchased From: dan pipe

Similar Blends: mick mcquaid.

da'rum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
da'rum (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I heard good things about this plug and it is a good smoke.....However. ...., it seems rushed and definitely not as well made as ilsteds VA plug. This plug really needs longer in the press to marry the tobacco together and to create a proper plug, it is loose and very springy in comparison to 3p's and IOVP. I am guessing it spends a very short time under pressure and is merely quickly in and out of the press to create a plug form but not really a job well done. It also could benefit from less casing, it was sticky and wet out of the pouch and frankly unsmokable, I tried and failed. I then sliced small flakes off and waited 24 hours before they were ready to smoke. This plug starts off unremarkable but the flavour, like the nicotine, builds quickly. It has some decent Virginia in it and a small spicy note on nasal exhale could be an indicator of Perique but could be a couple of other things as well, the whole profile is interesting without being too complex but the balance isn't quite spot on. This plug is good. I'd buy it again but I can't help notice the difference in quality in not only the Virginia but also the care taken in the production in comparison to IoVP. Kohlhase und Kopp have said that IoVP won't be made anymore due to poor sales so I'm wondering how this lesser and seemingly rushed product commissioned by DTM will survive. I'd choose IoVP over salty dogs any day of the week.

As I said, a good tasty tobacco but unfortunately could be a lot better if they didn't cut corners. 82/100

Pipe Used: Pot meer, Falcon, Design Berlin

Purchased From: Timms Hamburg.

Chillum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chillum (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found that it was rather 'wet' but this is something ive found common with plugs. After half an hour dry time I found this still slightly steamy, but this is my only negative. A strong, sweet start from the bowl.The steamed and pressed virginas marry perfectly with the perique with its spice evident straight away, especially when snorking. As the bowl progressed, the immediate sweetness subdues and its power becomes known. Recommended for fans of dark,steamed virginas. Unlike other dark plugs, the salty dog doesn't get bitter or too intense the further we smoke, something to do with the rum topping and perique. Lots of flavour, much nicotine. Full on without being intense. I found it similar to Revor without its diesel soaked blackberry flavours. Well recommended for Va/Per fans or plug enthusiasts.

Pipe Used: Blakemar lovat 9mm filter

Purchased From: Gifted.

Similar Blends: Revor plug, Mick Mcquaid plug.