In long gone times, when imposing sail ships crossed the Seven Seas, English sailors were popularly called "Salty Dogs". They always took care to have a pocket sized block of sweet Virginia tobacco with them, which they would take a slice off to then rub out and smoke in their cutty pipes. In heavy weather, they would opt to just bite off a corner to enjoy as a stimulating piece of chewing tobacco.

Selected sweet Virginias with a small pinch of perique, classically enhanced with Caribbean rum, are matured over a long time in the press. The result is a dark brown, full and pleasant pipe tobacco in traditional style offering you a comfortably cool and smooth smoking experience. Unlike ordinary flakes, it was not cut into slices, but packaged as a solid piece of real plug tobacco. Enjoy it in pipes with smaller bowls. (translated from Dan Tobacco's website)

Notes: Introduced July 2014.

Dan Tobacco's Salty Dogs is, as its name implies, a classic Navy style plug: Virginias and a pinch of perique, flavored with rum and pressed tight into hard, pocket-sized blocks that would keep long, survive indelicate handling, and could be cut into slices whenever there was a moment's rest.

BrandDan Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.4
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The sweet dark Virginias are richly dark stewed fruity with a fair amount of citrus, and a very deep earthiness. The sweetness has a mild fermentation aspect as blocks tend to do. The perique is a minor player; much more raisins, figs, and dates than spice, the latter note is not always noticeable. The light application of sweet Caribbean rum does not detract from the tobacco taste, and I do not consider this to be an aromatic. The nic-hit is a little less than medium, getting just a little more potent in strength after the half way point, but it’s never overwhelming. Both the strength and taste is a shade more than medium. The block may take a little cutting and it’s moist, but it’s not a chore. I tore it apart with my fingers, and peeled off thin layers, which I cut into small flake-like pieces before each smoke, leaving the block as intact as possible for as long as I can. Burns slow and requires relights. It’s not very complex, but it’s very creamy smooth with no weakening of flavors, no dull or harsh spots. I didn’t dry it any, but was able to burn it to finish though it left a little moisture in the bowl without dottle. The sweet, earthy after taste pleasantly lingers. Not quite an all day smoke, but if you use a small bowl, which I recommend, it’s easily repeatable during your smoking day.

-JimInks

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Walking into the shop at DanPipe a few weeks ago, I was immediately asked to try out their two new blends, one of which was this one. I got a nice sample of Roper's Roundels, as well as this blend. I was impressed enough with my pipeful of SD to buy a pouch (I also got a tin of RR while I was at it).

The pouch, then, contains a cellophane-wrapped bit of plug that reminds me more than a little of Peterson's PPP. Opening that cellophane wrapper, I get a sweet, VA-dominated, but also fruity whiff from the pouch... very nice.

Cutting the plug into slices, then rubbing out, results in a very docile affair that lights readily and smokes, well, docilely, with a good, deep, sweet flavour. I can't make out the rum advertised at Dan Tobacco, but it may well be there. The Perique definitely is in there, tickling my sinuses from the very beginning.

The consistency of the plug is very similar to PPP, by the way; cutting is easy enough. Cut into cubes, the smoke is a cool, very long one, with lots of flavour and a few rum-ish notes in there; the strength picks up quite noticeably towards the end though; this may not be for the faint-hearted. The Nic build-up seems to be less when sliced and rubbed. More toast in there than in either PPP or the Ilsted VA Plug, in both taste and room note.

Fully-sweet on the tongue, astonishingly good room note, may need a few relights if diced, but burning down to practically nothing... this is something I will be coming back to. Often.

I accompany this blend with a good Irish Whiskey, or the sweeter Scotch Highlands Single Malts.

Pipe Used: DB Commander III, Butz-Choquin Marseille, MM Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch through 6 months

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco

Similar Blends: Peterson - Peterson's Perfect Plug, Ilsted - Virginia Plug.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Salty Dogs is a dark, dense, lightly aromatic plug. I prefer to cut it into small chunks with just a tad rubbed out to get things going. The flavors are deep and rich with a bit of a “figgy” flavor that I often associate with Virginias that have had some time in the cellar. The rum and topping serve to enhance the flavor and plenty of delicious tobacco flavors dominate. The Perique is added with a light hand and complements the topping. The Virginias are sweet although I am sure they are enhanced by the rum. For comparison purposes, there seems to be a touch more rum than one would find in F&T’s Brown Flake. Personally I wouldn’t toss this blend into the aromatic category although some pipe smokers may debate that. Salty Dogs is a deeply satisfying smoke that will age with perfection although I would recommend moving it to a Mason jar due to the packaging. My only quibble is the price point and availability which will sadly limit my cellar stock.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (170)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

It comes in pouch and the plug is wrapped in an airtight cellophane bag within it, so I think one need not worry it might dry within the pouch.

The plug is solid and hard. I tried cutting thin flakes and rubbing out and I also cube cut. Both ways it takes to light easy and smokes well without any need to dry beforehand.

Now the smoke is quite potent not overwhelmingly strong however. It tastes like a Vaper alright! Actually it is very tasty. It is dry-tasting with hay-like Virginias on the front, but present are deeper notes of yeastier and breadier Virginias as well. Perique is peppery (white pepper) with just a suspicion of dried fruit. I do not get the rum notes to be frank, it actually delivers a very pure tobacco taste. Salty Dogs to me tastes very tobaccoey with a substantial peppery spiciness but it leaves a sweet and slightly bitter finish.

I experienced no bite and the burn was even and complete to a very fine white ash. Room note is very tobaccoey not sweet at all. I like it, non smokers might find it offensive. Overall I find Salty Dogs an excellent Vaper. Now, it is priced a little higher than most and this is a hindrance in making an everyday tobacco but it merits at least a try.

Similar Blends: Davidoff's Flake Medallions.

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a Va/Per plug in which the Perique does not show up much. Actually that's not exactly true; you get a fig/plum flavor that no doubt is from the Perique but none of that leaf's expected peppery spice. The dark Viginias are pleasantly sweet and a bit citrusy; very very nice indeed. There is a rum topping, but it's not overdone at all. In fact at times it's barely noticeable.

I enjoy fiddling around with plugs and that's the main reason I bought this. Just worked out that it's a good blend. The plug is quite moist and could probably use some dry time but if you dry it too much you're going to lose some of the flavor I think. I slice off flakes as thinly as I can and rub them into a shag and then load the pipe immediately, no dry time. It will need several relights and maybe a bowl stir halfway through, but for me not drying gives the best flavor, I don't mind relights.

The only bad thing about Salty Dogs is it's a bit spendy...about $17 for a 50g plug. For that money, I won't be buying it often though I do like it.

Pipe Used: A pair of Dunhills that mostly see VA blends

Age When Smoked: pouch fresh

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar Co.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (296)

Prouced by Orlik for Dan Tobacco, this isn't per se a Dan Tobacco blend.

Salty Dogs is a very dense plug, with pleasing dark-brown to black colours that holds only very few orangy-yellow spots, which left me wondering, how they processed the Virginias, so they have this black-ish colouring.

The plug comes in pouch and is wrapped with cellophane to maintain freshness. It's rather on the moist side and needs 20-45 minutes of drying. After 20-45 minutes drying time it lights well, but needs few relights.

When taking a sniff on the plug it only offers very mild notes of citrus, honey and a rum-like sweetness. Very inconspicuous, yet inviting smell.

The plug is predestined for making a Cube Cut out of it. I cut off medium-thick slices, and cut little cubes from it. Once cut into slices it almost crumbles into little cubes by itself. You can also rub the tobacco out or cut very thin slices so you can fold & stuff them. Handling this tobacco is a joy and part of the pleasure, if you take your time for it.

Once the Salty Dogs are sailing you get rewarded a rather mild (tastewise), yet tasty, refreshingly lively smoke that holds a gentle sweetness. Virginias offer mild citrusy, more grassy notes, as well as a tad of earth and gentle sweetness. The Perique is interlaced excellent into the flavour profile and rounds the taste with it's orangy, plumy and raisin-like tones, and spices up the blend with a decent share of peppery tanginess. The rum flavouring is intregated well into the natural tobacco taste and contributes a slightly sweetish, rum-like taste, that also has a slightly spicy tone to it as well. The flavouring is well done and married perfectly with the tobacco components. It doesn't subdue the tobacco taste, but only tweaks up the taste and gives it a bit of "that certain something". I don't perceive it as being alcohol-ish at all tho (which I like, as I don't like alcohol).

Even tho I find the flavour profile of Salty Dogs to be rather simple, with limited variety of flavours it's never boring and far from being one-dimensional. The taste is refreshing, tangy and delightful and keeps even me, as a Kentucky lover satisfyied and interested. Yet this is a rather mild (tastewise) to medium (nicotine-wise) smoke that's suitable for any time of the day!

Gains a bit of intensity (taste- and strenght-wise) in the 2nd half of the bowl!

Room note (as stated by my girl) is: "Sweetish, with a slightly alcohol-ish smell. Pretty pleasant!"

4/4 stars - lovely presentation; quality tobaccos; refined and rounded taste. A blend I wouldn't wanna miss in my tobacco-bar! Highly recommended to everyone, as this fits the bill of smokers who prefer mild smokes, as well as it's satisfying to smokers, who like a change of pace from their heavier blends.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe / Various Briars

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)

da'rum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
da'rum (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I heard good things about this plug and it is a good smoke.....However. ...., it seems rushed and definitely not as well made as ilsteds VA plug. This plug really needs longer in the press to marry the tobacco together and to create a proper plug, it is loose and very springy in comparison to 3p's and IOVP. I am guessing it spends a very short time under pressure and is merely quickly in and out of the press to create a plug form but not really a job well done. It also could benefit from less casing, it was sticky and wet out of the pouch and frankly unsmokable, I tried and failed. I then sliced small flakes off and waited 24 hours before they were ready to smoke. This plug starts off unremarkable but the flavour, like the nicotine, builds quickly. It has some decent Virginia in it and a small spicy note on nasal exhale could be an indicator of Perique but could be a couple of other things as well, the whole profile is interesting without being too complex but the balance isn't quite spot on. This plug is good. I'd buy it again but I can't help notice the difference in quality in not only the Virginia but also the care taken in the production in comparison to IoVP. Kohlhase und Kopp have said that IoVP won't be made anymore due to poor sales so I'm wondering how this lesser and seemingly rushed product commissioned by DTM will survive. I'd choose IoVP over salty dogs any day of the week.

As I said, a good tasty tobacco but unfortunately could be a lot better if they didn't cut corners. 82/100

Pipe Used: Pot meer, Falcon, Design Berlin

Purchased From: Timms Hamburg.

Baldrick1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baldrick1 (1)
Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable

If you like Mick Mcquaid Plug this tobacco is for you. It is more fruity taste. But taste is great. It is very wet from the pouch but you can cut it very easy. If you like aromatic plugs give it the try.

Purchased From: dan pipe

Similar Blends: mick mcquaid.

Johnny M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny M (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An Excellent Virginia-Perique Plug. Very rich and sweet flavour. Packs and lights very easy if you cut him to cubes. One of the best VA-Periques i had so far. Highly Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: DTM Dan Tobacco

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)

This is an excellent plug tobacco and the only one that I know of that consists of Virginia and Perique. The flavoring is very mild and just help to accentuate the flavors of the natural leaf. I like to cut thick flakes and loosely rub it out and pack it into a large chamber so the flakes can expand without tightening up the draw. This has all the rich and dark depth you would expect from a plug tobacco and the nicotine is in the medium range. The price? The price to get a 50g plug in the States is just ridiculous and is the only thing keeping me from cellaring this one deep. If you are a fan of plugs I would say ya have to try it at least once. I'm hoping that the price will drop significantly like what we saw happen just recently with St. Bruno. If I could afford it, I would make this an everyday smoke. Good stuff!

Obviously I had to knock off a star due to cost.

Essential (but not economical)

Edit* I came back to add the 4th star because I don't think it's fair to knock off a star due to the price point. Besides, I found a good source for these Plugs straight from Germany. 4 star Plug all the way!

Pipe Used: P. Jeppesen, Tsuge, Stanwell

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Unlike some reviewers', the plug I got was a fully pressed plug at just the right moisture level for me. To me, the VAs really shine through, and the Perique and any fruit topping are more hinted at from the sweetness, which seems to me falls right at the border between natural and 'added casing', than in any way obvious. I really don't taste the rum at all, but that likely adds to the sweetness as well. This is an easy and slow smoking (likely because I leave it rather chunky), enjoyable, everyday plug. I hope it catches on and remains widely available.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars, and meers

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)

...A fine plug tobacco from Dan, actually Orlik, none-the-less, already a top favorite of mine... Dense, earthy, stewed fruit/plum and fig aroma and all-around a first class offering. ...This is not OGS in plug form, and is a stronger tobacco than others in this arena. It is not a Lakeland/floral plug either...appears to stand very much on its own. ...A bit on the expensive side at around $19. USD per 50 gram plug but well worth the cost. Most would find this too strong for an all-day smoke, but I find this a great smoke any time. Perfect moisture, easy to slice, and exceeds my expectations for a quality plug tobacco...

Pipe Used: gp. 3-5

Age When Smoked: 2 to 6 months old

King Slender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Slender (5)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

OK, I officially love this stuff, but it can be difficult to express just why within the framework of a conventional review; its eccentricities are many and its merits somewhat esoteric -though given its perpetually sold-out status, it would seem there are others who share my sentiments. What I can say is that I frequently find myself thinking about this tobacco as I fall asleep at night and it is the only tobacco that produces a kind of generalized anxiety if ever I feel stocks may be running low.

First of all, being a plug, Salty Dogs requires some significant preparation -and a fair bit of drying as well- each and every time you smoke it. Even when properly prepared it can frequently be difficult to keep lit for long periods. Also, of course, is its prohibitive pricing, which in the U.S. creeps close to $20 for a 50-gram bar. And then, as mentioned above, is its availability which is sporadic at best. However, despite all this, it’s worth it -believe me.

The plug itself is extremely pleasurable to work with and I find that its cutting even adds a certain ritualistic charm to the experience. The price, while admittedly expensive, isn’t really THAT bad… I mean, it’s from Germany and the quality is palpable –plus the thing smells incredible. The availability, well, you’ll just have to consider that part of what makes it special. And special it is. This is a smoke of profound character and nuance that intrigues in ways I have never experienced with any other pipe tobacco.

In short, it's fantastic: deep, contemplative, exceptionally smooth... flavors of brown sugar, raisins, malt, real licorice (as in those old-fashioned licorice pipes), amaretto, roasted coffee beans, raw Pu’er tea, charred meat, gingerbread, black pepper, citrus and cloves all perfectly amalgamated and with no one flavor ever dominating another. It has this incredibly dark, rich quality that gives it the aura of ancientness. It does have rum in it; I have tasted it. However, you may only get one or two puffs of it per bowl.

In fact, for all this flavor, the overall experience is a remarkably subdued affair. Flavors need to be gently teased out over time and do not develop fully until mid-bowl. This can be another aspect of this tobacco that may not appeal to less discerning, less patient or less experienced smokers (and I have been all three at one time or another). However, slow and mindful smoking will be rewarded with an extraordinarily cool, gentle and equally slow-burning smoke with waves of complex flavor; the nicotine producing an almost stoned-like, body-buzz –yet this too is strangely gentle and I’d hazard to say that even those sensitive to it will not find it at all unpleasant.

Salty Dogs definitely won’t be for everyone, but I have to admit that this tobacco has quickly become my favorite -hence the long review. Despite its eccentricities (and occasionally because of them), it is an experience not to be missed, particularly by those who enjoy VaPers or just those who have been looking for a blend with prodigious flavor that still somehow manages to never become heavy or overpowering.

Pipe Used: Tsuge Fatboy

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (119)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I saw this on a pipe board and having a penchant for most plugs, thought I'd try this, I'm not overly fond of vapers but the reviews here told me it was safe to try, other than the fact that this must be the easiest plug I've ever had the pleasure of working with, there is little that I can add to the notes of my esteemed colleagues here. As already stated, the Virginia's command the performance with the perique and rum only playing a supporting role to the sweetness of this superb blend. No bite at all, even though from time to time I can over puff. Definately going into rotation and with more to cellar, I just hope I live long enough to smoke up at least the majority of my TAD. Highly recommended 4 well earned stars to Dan tobacco.

Pipe Used: Various briars group 3 + 4, clays medium

Purchased From: Estervals

Similar Blends: St James's Flake.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (119)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

A block of tobacco courtesy of Good ol' Dan Tobacco.

Once the novelty of slicing chunks or strips from the block has faded I have to admit this was disappointing.

It has no taste or smell no matter which way it is cut, sliced, ripped or rubbed out. It's supposed to be virginia and perique. I am certainly no the wiser for knowing this.

It keeps its moisture, even when broken up, but this only adds to the frustration when trying to smoke this. A block of a thousand relights.

Perhaps it's my relative inexperience of plug tobaccos but this really has very little to commend it, and I certainly shan't be buying this again.

Pipe Used: All of them briars and meerschaum

Purchased From: DanPipe, Germany.

Chillum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chillum (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found that it was rather 'wet' but this is something ive found common with plugs. After half an hour dry time I found this still slightly steamy, but this is my only negative. A strong, sweet start from the bowl.The steamed and pressed virginas marry perfectly with the perique with its spice evident straight away, especially when snorking. As the bowl progressed, the immediate sweetness subdues and its power becomes known. Recommended for fans of dark,steamed virginas. Unlike other dark plugs, the salty dog doesn't get bitter or too intense the further we smoke, something to do with the rum topping and perique. Lots of flavour, much nicotine. Full on without being intense. I found it similar to Revor without its diesel soaked blackberry flavours. Well recommended for Va/Per fans or plug enthusiasts.

Pipe Used: Blakemar lovat 9mm filter

Purchased From: Gifted.

Similar Blends: Revor plug, Mick Mcquaid plug.

Theocharis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theocharis (8)

I had high expectations for this one. I love vapers and with a light rum flavoring i though that this would be heaven...unfortunately i was wrong. I cant get any satisfaction out of this blend. The taste and flavor are nonexistent and it needs a few relights because of the moisture. The only good thing about this tobacco is that it has a pleasant aroma and it burns cool and slow. But, I would not buy it again.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful, very compact plug in the pouch. It's quite dark and smells of figs, hay, earth, and a bit of fruity liquor.

Sliced, and rubbed out, easily enough. Gravity packed into the bowl. Lights easily with a charring light and a follow-up. Stays lit well if you tamp it firmly after 2nd light.

Produces lots of dry flavorful smoke and lasts a long time. It reminds of most VaPers I have had but a bit stronger. I catch hints of what I would say is a familiar taste of burley, but can't quite put my finger on that. Tastes of rich tobacco, with hints of hay, and fruit. There is a savory flavor almost like truffles. The perique is quite strong but nicely balanced with a slightly sweet virginia flavor. This stuff can pack a punch and is just a delightful smoke. Again, this is one of those blends that can be enjoyed without too much contemplation...just load a bowl and go!

Ordered some to add to my cellar and rotation.

Pipe Used: Billard, Corn-Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Peterson - University Flake, Dunhill - De Luxe Navy Rolls.

KomisarioPalmu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KomisarioPalmu (3)

This is for roughcut seamen with ungroomed beards who enjoy strongish unflavoured tobacco. As far from fancy as it gets.

Being a heavy seabanger with fullbeard I had great expectations, that unfortunately were not fulfilled. I get very little out of this one.

Not sweet at all to my mind. Nor sour nor anything but a decent nic dose. Some notes of plum during the first third, mid bowl was plain tobacco, and some plum again in the end. Dull and linear VA I'd say, maybe a hint of that perique is somewhere there with good will.. Yet creamy, not harsh at all, smoke. All other qualities but the taste are good.

Burns effortlessly and slow, I cut thin slices from short end of the block with a knife and gave it a little rub. I always smoke outdoors so would't know abaut a roomnote, but nothing much to complement there either.

Not bad, but not my cup of tea. Recommended for pluggers and oldtimers I guess.

Pipe Used: Vauen Sören with filter

Age When Smoked: Fresh, from a two year old pouch

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (200)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Again, this pouch I received as a gift from a dear friend. It slept in my cabined for one year, more or less.

As a matter of fact I substantially subscribe Stefanos’ review (and not necessarily because we share the same name and first letter of the family name, ahahahahah…) The cube form in the cellophane wrapper allows very good aging. Slicing was a bit of a trouble, but that depends on the wrong knife I get. Whichever the cut results, this burns very nice. Never prone to burn hot nor biting. None. The nic hit is a shade above medium, the body is absolutely satisfying. The rest Stefanos has already told very properly. Including the rum flavour which I find in traces, or actually missing. And, regarding the prices (EUR. 9.50 per 50 grams): that would be a real bargain in Italy, and I would buy it on regular basis, better if it comes in ready rubbed form…

This combination of VaPer is the one I feel perfect as an all day smoke. Absolutely recommended.

Pipe Used: Castello's

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: received as a gift

Similar Blends: SG's SJF is the one coming near, but SD burns a deal better.