A blend of Eastern and Middle belt lemon and red Virginia richly matured, which gives a sweet smooth and zesty smoke.

BrandPeretti
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.7
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Based on a one ounce sample. Dark brown broken flake with small strips of lemon. I rubbed this one out for loading. There was a slight aroma of McClellands fermenting process but it didn't taste like any McC flake I've ever smoked.

This one demonstrated why I dry out most flakes to a very dry state. Straight out of the bag, it was loathe to keep lit and tasted steamy and monochromatic . When I got it to a very dry state, it sang magnificently. The flavors became much more focused and I got a predominantly red VA tang with a healthy dose of natural sweetness and hay. This was more of a lightly sweetened corn-based cereal flavor. I find it interesting that this one is rated as fuller in taste, as I find it supremely mellow and easy going. Not a strong flavor overall but it had a ton of depth and nuance. It was something that I had to be patient with and it's strengths came to me. In the world of Virginia blends, this one had a fairly unique nature in that regard. Not sure if this will hit the rotation but it's definitely worth a repeat performance.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

The Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Antihero (8)

This isn't for the smoker who enjoys sugar-and-cream in the centre of their tobacco.

Oxford Flake is a no-nonsense and old-fashioned type of smoke. By most certain accounts, a traditional English blend.

I was given about 100g as a gift and put it into a mason jar to age in my cellar. 8 months later, when I smoked some in various pipes to give it a general character rating, I was very happy to discover that it smoked wonderfully in all of the pipes I had chosen for the venture.

It smokes wonderfully in a churchwarden and the taste is only enhanced from a cool smoke. It also does well in meerschaum, corncob, and the various shapes of normal briar.

This is a good tobacco for the year-round and does best during rainy days and indoors.

4 stars from me.

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (12)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

As my user name states, I am a newbie to the briarhood. I am, however, no spring chicken when it comes to tobacco. I am also a New Englander, and I live close to LJ Peretti in Boston. I am lucky, and I am a proud smoker of several Peretti pipes. I am also lucky enough to have a nice portion of Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. I bought 4 ounces year ago, shortly before everyone started complaining there was none left. I have smoked many bowls of SG's revered flake. And yeah, it's good, but what's the big deal? Right now, I am smoking some of Peretti's Oxford Flake in a Peterson System 315. It isn't the first or the only pipe bowl graced with Oxford Flake. In fact, I usually smoke Oxford Flake in one of my dedicated smaller-bowl Peretti pipes. I am ripping through my Oxford Flake. It seems it really doesn't matter what dedicated pipe I pack with Oxford Flake because it always delivers. The strength is perfect. The level of Vitamin N is conducive to relaxation. The flavor is straight tobacco without any detectable flavoring. The room note, for me, is relaxing and compliments the heating season like a warm fire. The taste is a blast of rich, and tasty, malty, espressoy and unsweetened-chocolatey goodness. Stop perseverating over a perceived lack of Virginia flake. It's out there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An outstanding Virginia flake offering from Peretti. Straight and smooth, excellent cut, no tricks. Oxford smokes slow and cool, all the way through to the end of the bowl. I also pack the flake, leaving a little room for a pinch or two I've rubbed to assist in lighting. Besides, the aroma of a rubbed Virginia flake is exquisite. Though Oxford could very easily be a one-match light, out of politeness to the tobacco, I used two. I was looking for a no-nonsense Virginia blend, and Peretti delivered exactly what I was searching for. Slightly peppery at the top, rich and earthy through the middle, with an implied promise of repeated pleasure at the end (as in, 'Please, smoke me some more'). Beware. Oxford almost begs to be sucked down. I had to rein myself in a couple of times in order to give this smoke its full due.

Peretti delivered promptly, the tobacco was in perfect smoking condition when it arrived, and it served as a great focal point for thought on a rainy Texas day. I also received their Royal Blend the same day. If their mastery of Virginias extends to English blends, I can't wait. Of course, they've been around for over 130 years, so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Four stars, and an extra half for great service.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

I ocassionally like to break away from my "ribbon" blends and enjoy a flake tobacco. The scent is earthy and yet, it has a certain clean component, (maybe the Lemon Virginia?).

This flake rubs out with medium effort, or, one can pack the flakes leaving room at the top for some rubbed out to assist in the lighting, (In the same vein as when I smoke "Three Nuns"). I usually need to false-light then re-light this particular flake.

One needs to start off slowly and continue this measure throughout the course of the bowl. The flavor is refreshing and I have had on ocassion a temptation to increase the tempo. Smoker beware.

While I am not a Big fan of Virginia as the main ingredient in any blends, I really enjoy this flake.

gatewheel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gatewheel (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This appears to be nothing more than a repackaged McClelland product; an overly moist mixture of square and broken flakes, with the unmistakable aroma of vinegar/cloves. Rubs out much easier than most McClellands, but hard to light, hard to keep lit and so mild that it requires a vigorous draw to extract much in the way of flavor, resulting in a hot smoke with mouth rash and tongue bite.

This is not to say that Oxford Flake is devoid of tobacco flavor. If you're a fan of the more subtle McClelland Virginias, this may work well for you. I should also note that, unlike many of the McClelland blends, the vinegar\cloves aroma seems to dissipate as the smoke progresses.

Despite the litany of 4-star reviews below, I wouldn't even rank this as one of the better McClelland products, and it damned sure isn't in a league with FVF, HOTW, Blackwoods Flake, or any of the other truly exceptional Virginias.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

The greatest praise I can give this mix is that I don't prefer virginia blends and I have to rate this four stars. I prefer English/balakan/Oriental blends and switch things up from time to time with an English/Virginia. I was quite surprised to find this blend to be one of the most satisfying and tasty I have ever smoked. Maybe it is because this is Virginia FLAKE and not regular Virginia. I usually find Virginias to be one flavor and clean smoking but not very tasty, or interesting. This flake blend was actaully rather complex in taste for me while still having that "straight" tobacco taste for which Va's are reknown. Slightly sweet with a pleasant tang. A truly great blend I will smoke again. A nice surprise.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)

I usually find straight Virginias to be rather bland, thus, if you read my other reviews you'll see that I like the extra kick of Perique. I have found Peretti's flake blends to be of such fine quality however, that I am determined to try them all.

I was not disappointed with Oxford Flake. Despite its being a straight Virginia, it is quite flavorful, smooth, with no tongue bite. It lights easier than either London Flake (still my overall favorite) or Scottish Flake, which Peretti claims is its fullest bodied flake, although I do not find it so. The flavor, or notes if you will, remain consistent throughout the bowl and burning remains even throughout as well. The room note is somewhat bland, maybe even stale, but I don't smoke a blend for its room note. Flavor is slightly sweet and clean- no after tastes. Clearly no additives in this blend. Very pleasant smoking. A good switch off from the tongue biting characteristics of Perique. Sort of cleans the palate. Very nice, straightforward yet flavorful blend.

Edit 3/10/07: I just bought another 8 oz. of Oxford Flake for a change of pace from my usual London Flake. My impressions remain as I wrote above, but I am also finding that it smokes exceptionally well in my small bowl bent apple meerscahum. I have three meerschaum pipes that I bought mainly for looks but have found that they don't bring out the flavors as do my briars. Oxford Flake seems different in this regard. This stuff is growing on me and I have changed my recommendation to "highly recommended."

LSU Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSU Tiger (13)

This is not a tobacco for those wanting a "candy flavored" blend. I found it full of zip to start, but settling down to a smooth, slightly spicy, flavor-rich smoke. This was my first experience with a flake, but I'd recommend it to anyone wanting more than the usual cased blends without going the English blend route. It's a dry smoke, a bit hard (for me) to light, but I chalk that up to my inexperience with flakes. I smoked it in a Dunhill group 5 Dublin "Redbark," which was perfect. I can't wait to try it in a Peterson! My wife's thoughts were simple: "It's OK." High praise from her. You won't be disappointed with this one.