A blend entirely made of tobaccos from the Near East. It has richness and full flavor.

BrandPeretti
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

For a pure oriental mixture, I can't imagine having a more well rounded, tangy and supple smoke. The quality is exceptional and the taste is supurb. Don't expect a knocked down experience, though, as it is quite mild, but makes a fantastic morning smoke or first bowl of the day (translation: low nicotine). Or, if you're so inclined, a nice before bed, low impact tantalizer. Besides 333, which burns too hot for my puffing cadence, every Peretti blend that I've tried has been very good or elite.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, Lustra hit the nail on the head; if you like Orientals then this is for you. My taste buds like bitter, cloves and black pepper. Ding, ding ding, this is it. If you have read any of my other reviews then you will see I enjoy a lot of varied tobaccos but for me Orientals are king. Sadly a lot of Oriental blends tend to be lame but the folks at Peretti have found the mark with #40. They took the time to assist me in my quest and for that I am in their debt. I smoke this several times per week in a Peterson system full bent to get the total treatment. If you desire a nicotine buzz move on, that ain't what 100% Oriental blends are about, but what a strange and interesting aftertaste they do impart. No bite, but don't rush it, it just becomes too bitter. For me a 4 star. Thanks, Peretti.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: A ribbon cut of mostly medium shades, with some darker leaf showing.

Aroma: Rich Oriental aroma with some Cyprian Latakia nose. No Va. sweetness detected.

Packing: Packs easily into any size pipe.

Lighting: Lights with relative ease, occasionally one match, but usually needs two.

Initial flavor: Hello, this is different. All I get at the beginning is a rich spicy flavor and some smokiness. Truly a beguiling flavor here.

Mid-bowl: This is a blend totally devoid of Virginias. Since the base is Oriental, this is a true Balkan. It isn?t Balkan Sobranie, which had more Latakia and used Yenidje, but something much more subtle. The flavors interplay nicely, and always have a little surprise for you. Definitely a blend to savor slowly.

Finish: Burns down calmly to the bottom, without a gurgle. Leaves a nice dry white ash. It does not fatigue the palate at all, making it, IMHO, a light/medium Balkan in the range of GLP Kensington

Summary: A blend smooth enough to smoke all day, yet rewarding enough to relax with.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (123)

This is a lovely, light, mild and elegant tasting blend with a mellow pepperiness and an ever-so-sweet finish. This is not the type of mixture that a blending house just throws together. Something like this takes time to perfect. Oriental No. 40 is like a fine Pilsner style beer. The flavors are balanced, simple and understated. It produces a beautiful musky aroma, that quintessential Oriental scent if you will.

I taste many flavor references here, a bit of Tashkent, slight hints of Royal Blend, even slivers of Presbyterian Mixture. The smoke is delicate and airy, yet remarkably flavorful. It burns clean and leaves my palate feeling somewhat dry but oddly refreshed. I can see where smoking this might have some pipers wanting for strength, but for a mild, expertly balanced Oriental smoke with a dashing aroma, this is really tough to beat.

One thing I found is that Oriental No. 40 behaves much like a mild sugary straight Virginian. It is at its best when smoked at a slow sip. Lets just say that this blend is less forgiving of heavy puffing and it can turn bitter and even bite when overheated. Aside from that, I have found much enjoyment in this one.

Mongo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mongo (10)

The tin aroma is chock-full of pungent orientals and a bit of smokiness from the Latakia. The cut is short-to-medium, a mixture of tan to medium brown ribbons, and the tobacco is at the perfect moisture level. (They're definately not selling water.) Oriental #40 packs easily into a bowl of any size and lights without fuss. The initial flavor is a full-on blast of Orientals...a very strong, musty flavor. Things settle down quickly, and the smoke is both spicy and salty on the tongue. Along with the expected mustiness from the Orientals and smokiness from the Latakia, there are minor notes of sour fruit and leather here, along with something like nutmeg. (These are just impressions, not actual flavorings.) The smoke feels dry, and the tobacco smokes dry in the pipe. Oriental #40 requires less attention than any other tobacco I know, rarely needing a re-light and never causing a gurgle in the pipe. This tobacco cannot bite, and tastes good throughout the bowl. When it's gone, I always want more.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Brown to black ribbon with some messy long cuts and a sweet and tangy oriental with a bit of latakia in the background. Smelled heavenly.

Loads and lights easily and immediately shows off its bitter side. Bitter isn't necessarily bad but I found myself wishing for more sweetness of flavor - more of a Virginia presence. If you think of oriental tobaccos as incense-y and sort of herbal, this is the darker side of oriental a la Tashkent. And I had the same issue with this as with Tashkent... interesting but lacking the sweetness and tang I prefer. As predominantly a Virginia smoker, that natural sweetness is my thing. This has almost none. The flavor was musty and dry on the finish with tons of character, but alone it's not something I care to smoke much of. As with Tashkent, I added a bit of red Virginia and got the tangy sweetness I crave. But I also wished that it had no latakia, as that pushed this blend further away from where I wanted it to be. But the point is where Peretti's wants it to be! So if you're into exotic middle eastern flavors that continuously evolve and you won't mind the lack of sweetness, give this one a shot.

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This gets the highest possible star rating ! This is my second favorite blend. The first 1 being "Count Pulaski" by Altadis.This is a Turkish Dream! I can say this is the finest Turkish mixture on the planet! There is nothing that even approaches this in flavor. A totally Turkish base with moderate Latakia added. It is the most satisfying blend I have ever smoked. It has a characteristically sour flavor and smokes rather dry. The Latakia provides that little extra OOOMPH! that puts the blend in a class all its own. A very full taste that does not fatigue the palate. There are multiple types of Turkish creating a truly unusual smoke.This is not for the novice and should really be appreciated for what it is.This has no Virginia,Perique, Burley, or Cavendish. Please prepare yourself for a full frontal assault of a very acquired taste! 5 of 4stars!

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

This use to be my everyday blend but after trying other Peretti English blends, especially their "Pride of Loch Lomond," this is no longer the case.

Instead, this has turned into a once-in-a-while smoke.

The blend features two exceptionally smooth and spicey Turkish, (L.J. would not elaborate further when I queried him, lol), and a good dose of Cyprian Latakia.

This blend is a ribbon cut and easily packed into the bowl. I usually will rub-out a small amount in my palms to assist in the lighting. Seldom do I need to re-light this blend.

In the first part of the bowl, spice seems to dominate, then during the second-half a slight sweetness rises to meet the spice.

It burns to a beautiful grey/white ash and never seems to get the least bit wet in the heel.

I find at this stage of my pipe smoking career, I am leaning more towards blends where virginia takes the lead rather than orientals.

**12/07/2011 I feel the need to update my ranking on this one to 4 Stars upon smoking several aged tins recently.

Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Boy...is this ever one acrid blend! I totally agree with lustra's contention that Oriental #40 is bitter from top to bottom. Of course, it is an extremely mild smoke, and those smokers who are just getting acquainted with Oriental tobaccos may enjoy this blend if they do not particularly care for a sweeter, more refined flavor.

On the plus side, this is a finely chopped blend, thus packs easily. It is extremely mild and probably does not pack enough punch for the veteran smoker who likes more flavor. I can certainly see where this blend could be touted as an all day smoke. All in all though, it is not on my top-10 list of Peretti blends!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Oriental #40 is a finely chopped ribbon with an exceptionally pungent Oriental aroma. The smoke is soft, light, bitter, and seems quite inhaleable if that is your thing. As the smoke progresses, a bit of sweetness and a hint of nutty flavor break through, but the tongue-curling bitterness never subsides. This blend doesn't bite and seems to have a very light nicotine content. It is very well made, but perhaps is of most interest to the die-hard fancier of Oriental tobaccos.

ProfessorShak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorShak (7)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

I got this along with their Royal Blend, which is fantastic. This is indeed an oriental powerhouse, yet not overbearing. It doesn't get hot and if smoked slowly, is a really pleasant smoke and burns to a complete ash. This is one of those blends to have once in a while, like in the morning during a camping trip.

BladeSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BladeSmith (4)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a half lb. of Oriental #40. I smoked 10 bowls over the course of one day and I would say this is a very pleasing blend, extremely smooth with no bite if smoked slowly but steadily. Although this blend does is too smooth and has no richness to it, I like a little more kick. But Im sure others would enjoy this.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent for an oriental kick in the mouth. The aroma is that of damp cloth and armpit. You really have to enjoy orientals to get off on this one. It's an after dinner smoke, especially after a grilled steak. Don't take this on an empty stomach or attempt it for all day. It's not as strong as C & D's DaVinci, but it's up there with the strongest of the strong. I enjoy the aroma, though non smokers will find it rank. I prefer this in smaller doses. Actually, it's so good and so deeply exotic it can be a bit much. Enjoy it for an occasional over the top indulgence.

Three of five stars