A real outdoor man's smoke with plenty of flavor and full strength. A unique blend of Virginia, Havana, Perique and Oriental.

BrandPeretti
ContentsCigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Strong
Taste
Very Full

3.8

Blend 500 by Peretti's of Boston is an interesting cigar blend unlike other cigar blends that I have tasted. I don't find it to be as strong as some other the other reviews have indicted. Blend 500 arrives ready to smoke with no dry time required. The tobacco appears somewhat chopped and although not mentioned in the tin description, it appears that there is a sprinkling of Latakia used on a condimental basis. For lack of a better description, this is an “old school” English. The cigar leaf doesn't dominate and I really don't find the flavor of any particular leaf in a dominating role. Blend 500 burns clean and dry and the flavor is very straight forward. I don't find there to be the slight sweetness that can be found in other cigar blends. This is one solid cigar blend that really should be more popular than it appears to be. Three and a half stars for Blend 500.

tommyboy1749 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy1749 (7)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Peretti's Blend "500" is one of the best cigar mixture I have ever smoked (the other is Peretti's Dundee). No one element dominates the blend, but all the components assert themselves individually, while still contributing to the overall flavor and aroma. You need not worry about being overwhelmed by any stale cigariness; the "havana" leaf adds a creamy bottom note to the overall smoke, playing off of the sweetness of the virginia and the spice of the orientals. All the tobaccos are of the conistently high quality one expects from Peretti and prepared with that special, centuries-old Peretti touch. Like other reviewers, I also detect a certain amount of latakia in the blend (both visually and in the smoke), which could be incorporated under the rubric "oriental" in the blend description, providing one allows a sufficient latitude to the use of the term, since latakia is technically an "oriental" varietal. Note: There is no perique in Blend "500" (see jlperetti.com for an updated description).

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti

pipe aficionado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe aficionado (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This is an outstanding mixture, a bit like G. L. Pease's Robusto, but slightly sweeter though equally natural. The cigar leaf in both mixtures is there in just the right proportion. Neither tobacco is as dense in flavor, or as rich, as I remember the great (or, rather, the greatest) Balkan Sobranie Viginia No.10 being. Blend No.500 seems to burn rather quickly for a mixture with a Virginia base, certainly more quickly than Robusto does. I'm a slow smoker, but I go through a pipful of Blend No.500 more quickly than I'm accustomed to. The batch I have may be a tad on the dry side, so I'll probably try moistening it a bit. This really is a no-nonsense blend, in the same way that Peretti's Cuban Mixture is: very authentic, natural tobacco taste. Since that probably doesn't communicate very much, I'll try again: what holds for Blend No.500 and Cuban Mixture--different from each other as are Burely and Virginia, in spite of the cigar leaf present in each--is that both are "warm and golden" (vs. Billy Budd, which I'd call "cold and dark"). The side stream aroma of Blend No.500 is about as appealing as that of any tobacco I've ever smoked, with a hint of something that reminds me of cloves. Highest rating--if only I could get it to burn more slowly.

late-nitedrydrunk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
late-nitedrydrunk (10)

Contrary to the other reviews here, I find this a medium strength tobacco at most that is advertised as being a blend of Virginia, Havana, Perique, and Orientals. I detected no Orientals, little to no Perique, a fair amount of latakia, which is contrary to the brand description but evidenced by the jet black ribbons and unmistakable taste and scent, Virginias, and a generous amount of cigar leaf. Nothing complex. Just a straight forward - and for me enjoyable - creamy smoke.

Note: This is a four star tobacco, which I have to give three because of what I believe to be a mislabeling by the blender. If I find out I'm wrong, I'll come back and edit my review.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Fuerte, brothers, fuerte!

This is my first cigar-blend and I have to say it is outstanding. Throughout the bowl the flavor is of very strong and rich tobaccos. Apparently, the cigar leaf sets this blend off from the usual English-balkans/orientals I enjoy. A truly great change of pace to mix things up. 500 is strong enough that I don't want to smoke it everyday, yet it is the kind of blend I want in my regular rotation.

Without a doubt, a Four-Star blend. Great smoke.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Update I recently began this blend in my rotation again. Just pure, unadulterated, strong, delicious tobacco. Smooth all the way to the end. 3/27/07

While this blend touts itself as an outdoor blend, I was pleasantly surprised by my wife's reaction. She felt it was much more tolerable than my other English Blends.

Upon opening, I was greeted by a dark, what appears to be a "chopped" blend. There are various cuts: coarse, stringy, and what seems to be little strips of cigar tobacco.

I packed a large bowl and was off. After a false-light and a tamp, I settled back to enjoy. The first quarter of the bowl was a smooth, full taste with the Virginia taking the lead.

Towards the half-way point, the orientals came into play in a supporting role, with the cigar-leaf dancing in and out of the taste experience.

It was not until the last half of the bowl that I began to detect the perique. Sort of the way that one might subtly detect a dash of fresh ground pepper on a fine steak.

Overall, a smooth, rich, enticing blend. Another winner from the House Of L.J. Peretti.

Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

The most unique cigar blend I have had in a long time. This blend like its city of origin has the following characteristics: Direct, No nonsense, and is exactly what it purports to be. This is a full flavored and unadulterated smoke. It is only for the purist. No symphonies of flavor and wafting nymphs in the air. A great English smoke! Three cheers for the real Yankees of Boston!

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

The only CURRENTLY-available blend similar to this is Cornell & Diehl's "Oriental Silk" and its only TRUE progenitors are Blakan Sobranie's Virginia # 10 or Smokers' Haven's "Extra-Rich."

This, like playing center-field, is not for the faint-of-heart. This is an amazing blend for the experienced "au-naturale" pipe smoker. This is the real stuff, un-buffered and unadorned. Though there is no Latakia in Peretti's 500, even the most ardent Balkan smokers will be satisfied with its rich fullness.

Surprisingly, despite its aforementioned fullness, there is nothing here that will bite the novice, particularly those switching from the few unfiltered, REAL cigarettes left in the USA. This can be smoothly inhaled, if one is sitting or is used to smoking Luckies or compost heaps.

Excellent as it is; wonderful to use as a base or a bolster for other blends. A marvelous adventure for the pro.

Four out of four stars.