A blend of fine stoved Virginia and oriental tobaccos, rich Cyprian Latakia, black toasted Cavendish and just a pinch of Perique. The mixture is finished with a delicate top note of ginger, perfectly complimenting the complex flavors and wonderful aroma of the natural tobaccos. A subtle sweetness and gentle spice is present from first light to last puff, and a clean, dry ash demonstrates the tobacco's purity.

BrandTwo Friends
Blended ByCraig Tarler & Gregory Pease
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringGinger
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Very Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full

2.4
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginia is grassy with a few earth notes, and some dark fruit and citrus, providing a base for the other tobaccos. The black cavendish kind of tame, but tries to round out some rough edges with a slight sugar note in the background. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woodsy sweet and is evident in every puff, though it never takes control. The Oriental/Turkish is woody with a sour note or two; a minor player, as is the spicy, raisiny perique, though I seem to notice the latter more after the half way point. The ginger is tangy, spicy, and at times unpleasantly dominant. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Won't bite. Burns fairly cool at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a slightly sour and bitter after taste. Not an all day smoke.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Two Friends' Valle Crucis is, at least technically, an aromatic. It is most probably named for Valle Crucis, NC, 32 miles north of the tobacconists in Morganton, NC . (Whether the town is, in turn, named for the famous riuns of a Welsh abbey is another matter.) In any event, Valle Crucis, the tobacco, is not soaked with polysyllabic organic compounds from a chemist's flask to simulate, when burned, an aroma acceptable to non-smokers. Rather, it is flavored, so we are told, by ginger; and it compliments this blend very well. I therefore recommend it even to those smokers who avoid, de rigueur, blends that contain non-tobacco ingredients. There are no "drug store aromatic" properties or problems.

This is a spicy sweet, rich tasting tobacco with a balanced mosaic of mid-tone, musty, and dark tobacco flavors. It might be considered a light bodied Scottish blend, though the Cavendish and/or ginger might rule out that classification. By the tin description at least five component tobaccos and the ginger top-note all seem to work in perfect harmony throughout the smoke. In my experience this is one of the few blends that use Latakia and Perique as flavor adjustments rather than featured components; and they work in that role very well.

I can scarcely comprehend how much insight, discernment and skill was involved in selecting and balancing so many ingredients to achieve the resultant effect. Whether by genius or serendipity, this is a masterful blending accomplishment. Tarler and Pease are to be commended.

This blend's apparent lack of popularity, at least as judged by the small number of contributions to these reviews, is a real puzzlement. It may not be an all day smoke, or even an every day smoke; but it is sure to please most palates, and should be handy for occasional refreshment.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This one is my current all day smoke. I was looking for an "English Aromatic" and found a true gem. I like everything about it. The subtleness of the ginger topping only enhances the nuances of the tobaccos. The latakia is the condiment to the other leaves. It's balance is impeccable, while the complexity is extraordinary. I've already been stocking up the cellar, as I can predict nothing but greatness after it has been aged a few years.

Pipe Used: All of them

Age When Smoked: 3 mos

Drummerguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drummerguy (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had an 8 oz tin of this for a couple of years, purchased on sale, and go in and out of smoking it, keeping it humidified with a metal pouch button.

The tin aroma is an intriguing mix of sweet, smoky and a hint of tart fruit. The appearance is an even mix of bright, brown, and dark evenly cut pieces. Packs nicely, especially in a medium large Aldo Velani.

Lights easily and stays lit, producing a fluffy gray ash Smokes cool with a room aroma that has a little earthy funk to it, I suppose owing to the orientals and ginger, which compliment each other well. The ginger is not obvious, and maybe that's in part owing to the age of this tin. The Latakia is also not obtrusive, more a condiment. The flavor is rich and sweet with no bite if not pushed, becoming a bit simpler halfway down the bowl where the Cavendish and Perique take hold. Plumes of rich smoke.

I would classify this as an updated Scottish. A good all day blend and killer with a big cup of French roast coffee

Pipe Used: Aldo Velani, rusticated chimney, bent

Age When Smoked: 2 years?

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

The German Shepherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The German Shepherd (1)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

There are some who find the ginger element of this fine tobacco as a bit "off-putting" but it appears to me to be so delicately flavored that it adds to the enjoyment. The Cavendish component seems to me to be unsweetened and adds a "roundness" to the blend, while the Virginias add a subtle sweetness that develops slightly as the bowl is consumed. The main flavor and aroma one gets from Valle Crucis is the Cyprian Latakia and the Orientals add a bit of pungency.

I find myself returning to this blend again and again as VC offers more than just the typical Lat-Bomb experience. Subtly sweet, and very satisfying in my opinion. DO NOT confuse this with your typical aromatic tobacco - VC is FAR FROM any of the lower quality tobaccos masked with cloying sauces and soups. If you like Latakia, there is enough here for you, unless you are ready for the Betty Ford Clinic for the Latakia addicted...

Pipe Used: Mostly Bulldogs and a Thuner Freehand

Purchased From: Gift from Bear Graves

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

It's no secret that I am not a huge fan of English blends. Sour Oriental and charred Latakia tobaccos do not appeal to me unless they are used with a very light hand. I like flavor and aroma. That's why I smoke a pipe.

Well, doing my best to at least sample every type of blend, I picked up a tin of this at Castro's in Concord, NH while sniffing through. I admit my palate is not so discerning, and I can neither smell not taste the ginger in this, other than as a slightly spicy accent to the already spicy perique and Latakia (Ginger is NOT sweet. Those claiming to taste sweetness from the ginger are actually tasting the sugars of the Virginia. Eat a piece of ginger root and see if it doesn't near burn your tongue off). Both of those condiments are indeed lightly used, with a majority sweet, simple Virginia taking up the load and offering a decent smoke, with a smell that at least won't drive everyone from the building.

I can tolerate it on a cold morning with a strong cup of coffee, but it's definitely a "sometimes" blend for me.

Pipe Used: Leonessa briar

Age When Smoked: IDK

Purchased From: Castro's Back Room, Concord, NH

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Mom do you remember last month when Mean Willy took my lunch money for the last time? How I took a dirty sock and put a grapefruit in it then hit with over and over again? Yes Mike I do why do you ask? Well I just found the sock and moldy stinky grapefruit under my bed wrapped inside a towel with dirty underwear. What the heck does that have to do with pipe tobacco you may ask- Well I will tell you! That is the smell that greeted me...no ASSAULTED my nose when I opened up a zippy bag of this awful tobacco that a friend wanted me to try. The grapefruit story never happened but my daughter did come down stairs from my bedroom where she was doing homework and said there is something smelling dead in your room dad and it burns my nose!After that I just chucked the bag in the trash can outside. Now taste wise this tobacco tastes just as it smells and did NOT go away until I brushed my teeth used mouth wash. It is very acidic and filled my whole mouth with this acrid smoke that made me shudder as soon as flame touched tobacco. Not only did my mouth feel like it was on fire the burning started to go down my throat! I really can't tell you how anyone actually came up with this blend except maybe on a dare or a few guys had WAY too much to drink before work and created this monster and to hide it they actually put it tins with labels before the boss found out. The thing I believe this tobacco is good for is giving it to the new guy at the pipe club who is a real blowhard and tell him he isn't allowed back to the club until he smokes the whole tin..with video proof of him smoking it..that will stop that guy from ever coming back.

I tried to be a bit funny with my comments on this blend because the joke was on me when I tried smoking this horror story of pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Cheap chinese cobs

Purchased From: gift from friend

Similar Blends: Rancid citrus fruit found behind the love seat..

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I have to agree with the person who said that ginger belongs in the kitchen and not in tobacco. I tried this and was overwhelmed by the taste of the ginger. I am sorry, perhaps some folks like it and more power to them but this is NOT for me. I cannot get rid of the stench of it from my den and I really hope it did not ghost my Big Ben CW!

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think it's pretty neat that the boys at Two Friends thought outside the box with Valle Crucis. It is a ginger blend and one whiff of the tin will make that well known. I am with “Big Bad Jon” below as I am of the same opinion that this blend would have been great on its own, without the ginger flavor. Upon smoking, the ginger isn't as strong in the smoke as it is in the tin and to maximize the ginger flavor, sipping this will bring out the most of the flavoring. VC isn't as sweet as many of today's aromatics. Even though I am a fan of ginger, in the end this blend just isn't for me. IMHO, it will likely appeal to a small number of ginger lovers and even a smaller number that seek ginger in their tobacco. (Who seeks that when they get up in the morning??). The component tobaccos are very well done so for that reason it's somewhat recommended.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My sample was a single ounce in bulk. It had aged at least 6 months sealed in a jar. I found this to taste simply like a mild english, with little discernable ginger flavouring or perique. Tastes a bit like a crossover blend with some evidence of sweetness coming through. I've tried this in a few pipes, yet it still eludes me. Might be worth a try for you, but nothing very memorable for me.

Update 08-05 Having given this a few more rounds, I am upgrading this to * as I have discovered some of the complexities and subtleties that take a gentle draw to discern. Not an everyday smoke, but certainly one to turn to when you don't want your usual english, aromatic or VA, but have a propensity to enjoy them regularly. The leaf is high quality, but the blend only melds to a unified taste at the 2nd third.

Group 4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Group 4 (8)

When I first lit VC, the first thing I tasted was a grassy Virginnia flavor, fresh and citrusy. This didn't last long and on second light a more uniform, rounded taste took over, the combined ingredients. The ginger casing is subtle -- though you can taste it -- but it's hard to identify. Without having read what it was I wouldn't be able to say. It is a very light aromatic. It builds flavor strength as it is smoked and it is pleasant. The ginger becomes more noticeable on relights than retreats in the mix. It smokes dryly and leaves a clean grey ash. Final asessment: Nice, mild aromatic, probably for the guy who winces at the thought of cherry blends. For the aromatic smoker I would say keep looking. For me it's a little too subtle, though obviously good.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

VC is a light, mild English blend with a sweet, ginger flavor. As some others have noted, I found it an OK smoke for a change of pace but found the ginger flavor grating, i.e., it does grow tiresome. If you like tobacco with a ginger flavor, try this and Shandygaff.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 5.5 out of 10.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

The pouch aroma is a bit too strong due to the flavoring, but the smoke isn't. Very mild, with a sweet/spicy aroma that can grow boring on the long run but it is not bad if you like ginger. It reminds a bit of And so to bed, with its flavoring, but milder. I actually can't stand the taste of ginger very much, and especially the flavor it leaves in the bowl, so I won't buy this blend again.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not one for aromatics, but this is simply an amazing blend. The flavoring here is mighty tasty, I reckon it is Cantonese Ginger Wine, but I cannot say for sure. It is noticeable in the pouch aroma, and is a bit sickly sweet there, but settles down nicely in the smoking. On the first puff, I can't tste anytihng but Ginger, but after that, the Latakia and Perique poke thier heads out and make themselves known. I had a hard time discerning any Oriental leaf under the stronger Perique and Latakia, and the flavoring, but no matter, the three 'big' flavors of this blend need no help to provide an enjoyable smoke. The taste intensifies a bit as the bowl winds down, and the last puff is always the same as the first, nothing but Ginger. I don't know if it was designed that way or not, but it is a pretty neat trick if so.