Renaissance is a classic medium English mixture, rich in Oriental tobaccos, a good measure of Cyprian and Syrian Latakias, and just enough golden, red and matured Virginias to provide substance to the smoke. The nutty flavors of the oriental tobaccos are the main focus, with the Latakias providing an almost leathery spiciness. These flavors are perfectly balanced by the subtle sweetness of the Virginas to complete this elegant mixture.

Notes: From Gregory Pease website: "In November, 2004, a warehouse fire consumed our supply of the exquisite vintage Syrian Latakia that was used in Renaissance, Raven's Wing and Mephisto, as well as Bohemian Scandal. These blends have been discontinued indefinitely"

BrandG. L. Pease

3.7
Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear (24)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Renaissance was the last of the G.L. Pease offerings to hit my tasting pipe. I am a huge fan of well made Latakia blends, so why was this the last one? Well, first, something had to be, and second, and yeah, this is stupid, I had fallen in love with four of the others, and in "like" with one of them. Just as a terrific baseball player's chances of knocking one out of the park on the next at bat seemingly diminishes with each consecutive homer hit, I figured a pop fly was due. I have never found a blender/ producer with such consistency, and really didn't want to find the proverbial feet of clay at this point. Opening the can, I was hit with the familiar "latakia mix" type of smell, pleasant, some depth, pretty much like most of the better English blends. Red, Golden, and matured Virginias caught my eye at first. Two different kinds of Latakia were present, represented by the brown, thin strips of the Syrian delegate, and the darker Cyprian ambassador. Winking at me was a little Balkan leaf, as well. It had a nice, medium cut and packed well. As with all English blends, I grabbed a suitably large pipe for the test drive.. Fire hits tobacco.... Whoa, Dorothy...we're not in Kansas anymore! In most Latakia offerings, I taste the Latakia first supported by other tobaccos. This was different. Latakia, sure, but standing as equal partners were the Virginias and the Balkans creating a flurry of impressions, all layered, multidimensional, and harmonious.. Each piece of the fragrance puzzle fitting perfectly next to the other creating a seamless piece of art which begged to be tasted. Exotic incense created images of places that I have only longed to visit. For the entire bowl, I had to sit on myself to keep from over puffing. Not to keep it lit, I just wanted that smoke constantly on my palate! It stayed cool, dry, and harmonious all the way down to the bottom leaving a downey - fine almost white ash.

Subsequent to writing this, my initial review, I have learned that Bill Serad of Pipes & Tobacco reviewed this noble weed a few months ago. Mr. Serad stated, among many things, that Renaissance "..is among the finest classic English blends I have ever tried...Magnificent! Highest Accolades!" Mr. Serad, you are a master of understatement! This tobacco is one of the few that I find to have "Wa", a Japanese term for "harmony". It is the only tobacco that has what I feel to be "Shibumi", an undeniable, understated elegance that makes itself known by just "being". 10 out of 10 Bear Claws

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

A well-done English mixture emphasizing Turkish tobacco, supported by deep, rich flue-cured leaf and ample, non-dominating Latakias. Smooth on the palate, but it is not boring or lacking definition.

If you desire Virginias with condimental leaf for spice (Dorisco, Squadron Leader, British Woods) or a rich Latakia mixture held in balance by other components, this is not your tobacco. Turkish leaf rules Renaissance, but with enough balance from the other contributors that it is neither an Oriental mixture or a light Balkan (close though).

It is more like a London Mixture or a Margate in type, if not exactly in strength. It is a little sweeter than Caravan or else it would be closer to a my definition of a Balkan.

There is but minor variation down the bowl as this is smoked, yet flavor-full from the beginning. If there is migration of flavor, it is from Oriental/Virginia profiles at the first half and finishing with Oriental/Latakia profiles at the end. I do use a pipe cleaner once or twice to keep the moisture controlled.

Do not pack this tightly and puff gently for the most pleasant, satisfying experience. Hopefully more tins will come available sooner than later, so savor what you can find, if you can find it.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

My fourth experience with GLPease blends, or "I thought I would hate this tobacco, and ended up liking it". Why did I expect to hate it? Simple, because so far I have had bad experiences with light/medium English mixtures: I simply can't find anything of interest in stuff like Celebrated Sovereign, for example. When I think of English, I want something full and latakia laden!!! So my fears were understandable: opening the can, I was welcomed with a blend that looked and smelled very similar to Celebrated Sovereign, with an amount of lighter coloured leaf quite too high for my taste. And the aroma? My nose could detect just a whiff of smell, and almost nothing of the deep smokiness that I immediately associate with Latakia. The tobacco was finely cut and rather pressed, and I took some ribbons to fill my Le Nuvole, a pipe exclusively dedicated to English mixtures. I lit, very easily, and I began to kneel sending virtual apologies to Mr. Pease... After a few puffs, I had already understood that this is the ultimate English blend for me, a symphony of taste that almost equals London Mixture by Dunhill, but less powerful and nauseating. This is the proof that a perfect EM does not have to rely on latakia only, but that the secret of a perfect full taste lies in a careful balance of the components: just the right dose of Virginias (too many of the and you get the sweetish Standard Mixture Medium), the right dose of Orientals (too many and you get Durbar, which I find a bit harsh and "empty", too little and you get something boring like Celebrated Sovereign) and the right dose of Latakia (too much and you get something delicious, but not as complex and refined like Renaissance). From top to bottom of the bowl the taste is always great, strong but not overwhelming, an experience in which all the tobaccos complement each other without ever dominating: only a slight harshness emerges here and there and makes this tobacco fall slightly short of the four stars mark (another reason for this fall from perfection is that I found that it quickly loses taste a very few days after the tin has been opened). Many different nuances emerge from time to time, adding even more interest. No relightings (if you pack correctly), no fuss, and at the end you have a dry light grey ash. Very often I find myself craving for another bowl after the first one, which is very uncommon for me. Mephisto and Odyssey seem to contain more Latakia, but Renaissance for me has a taste which is fuller, more complete (this is not meant to say that the other two are bad, mind me!): probably it is also due to the nice and rare interplay of Cyprian and Syrian Latakia (while other English mixtures only rely on one of the two), probably it's just a touch of Greg's wizardry... Who cares? What matters is that I love this tobacco, and I hope that one day it will be imported officially here in Europe, too!!!

Given the high prices for no longer produced, vintage tins like this blend, I think it’s worth a few comments on aged Renaissance. I spent a long time hunting for a tin of Bo Scandal and Renaissance as I never had the opportunity to smoke them at the time of their release before the warehouse fire brought a halt to these blends. BS was good, but IMO not worth the obscene price, on the other hand Renaissance was a home run! The combination of the two different Latakia’s along with an unknown Turkish leaf(s), and now sweet Virginias make this medium body blend simply delicious. I have had mixed results with Pease blends with some being too rough around the edges. This blend is very, very smooth now. The complexity is abundant and each bowl through the tin seemed to offer something slightly different. It’s slightly sour, sweet and smoky all at the same time. It is “velvety” and rich. There is no possibility of bite and the flavor deepens to the final puff. If you can tin a tin at a decent price, it’s well worth the extra cost. Four big stars!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A couple of years back, I managed to buy four tins of Renaissance (one from 2000 and the others from 2003). I sealed them all into glass jars and have been periodically dipping into them on special occasions ever since. My review, obviously, should be taken in the context of my only having sampled well-aged tins of this blend...

This is hard to review because the two vintages are radically different. In fact, if I tried these in a "blind test taste" setting, I would never guess they were the same blend! The 2000 is very sweet, and as the bowl progressive it shifts from being a latakia-forward blend to one that seems all about the orientals. Exotic notes and powerful blasts of spice that remind me of sandalwood, myrh, and even patchouli seem to overwhelm the smoke. Both types of latakia play only supporting roles. If I didn't like complexity so much I would consider it almost too busy to enjoy, but as it is I'm thrilled by it. It smokes relatively cool and isn't overly bitey, although it's a good idea not to rush it.

The 2003 mixture is quite a different beast, however. While the oriental notes are there and the Cyprian lat remains in the background, the Syrian is MUCH more pronounced. Some people describe it's flavor as wine-like, but this is the first time I've ever agreed with that description. The blend seems stronger, heavier, and mustier than the older batch. It's still nice, but there's an almost funky sour-sweet undertone to the blend that reminds me (vaguely) of some Dunhill mixtures. It's not as complex, but makes up for that loss with a much fuller flavor. I prefer the older batch, but this is still VERY good stuff.

In summary: Renaissance is apparently meant to be a medium-strength "English" mixture, which to me entails that it should have an appreciable amount of latakia but should nonetheless be all about balance. After having been thoroughly aged, however, I'm inclined to describe the earlier batch as having veered headlong into "Balkan" territory. The later batch, on the other hand, seems more balanced but still has such an exotic flavor profile that I can't really compare it to any other English blend. It's a shame that Syrian lat isn't available, as I would certainly buy more of this if it were still on the market. I've only had the chance to sample as single tin of Bohemian Scandal, but in all honesty I prefer Renaissance.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A symphony of harmonious leaf combine to make this truly a unique and remarkable smoking experience for those who like Oriental leaf in combination with both kinds of Latakia and a smattering of quality Virginia.

A light English? Not really; it is so much more than that. And, of course, with the loss of the Syrian Latakia which led to the hiatus of this blend, I miss it terribly.

If you can find a tin of the original and want a smoking experience that goes beyond the norm, put Renaissance in your pipe and prepare for an adventure that may never be repeated.

Bent Stem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bent Stem (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My review is from a 9 year old tin dated Jan. 2000 that was recently opened and put into a mason jar. The appearance in the tin is an overall medium to dark brown with very few lighter brown flecks throughout. The moisture upon opening the tin was nearly perfect. After a few bowls I noticed a shiny black piece inside that upon closer inspection turned out to be a small piece of nylon twine about an inch-and-a-half long that had apparently been processed with my batch. I wonder if that had anything to do with my initial dislike of it? Anyhow, the more I smoke of it the more it?s growing on me. Very smooth and mellow and a pleasant smoky/sweet/slightly spicy taste. It?s definitely different than anything else I?ve tried so far. For all it?s smoothness it still gives me a faint warning of tongue bite when I smoke it the slightest bit quickly; although I haven?t actually gotten tongue bite nor am not certain it would actually occur; it?s just the sensation I get on my tongue when puffing moderately. I don?t get this tongue sensation when smoking any other blends aside from aromatics and then it usually ends up actually burning my tongue, but this doesn?t. I hope that makes sense, maybe it?s just my body chemistry? Actually this ?warning? is kind of good because it serves as a reminder to slow it down and take in this wonderful smoke! I would give it a 8.5 out of 10 but since my only minor complaint is probably a unique, personal one I?ll give this rare classic its due. Highly recommended! If you get a chance, try it!

Paladin1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paladin1940 (4)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my first review for this site. Having read several raves about Renaissance, it was the first of the GLPease blends I decided to try, and it turned out to be terrific. I recently switched from cigars to pipes after many years of abstinance. I did a great deal of research, and doing so has enabled me to enjoy a pipe MUCH more now, that when I was younger, and always in a rush. I decide to try this pipeful in the morning, with coffee on my patio, and it was ooutstanding! The aroma of the latakia was clearly present, and since I had been smoking mild aromatics, to begin, wasn't sure how it would taste. I found it mild but rich, with a very satisfying flavors, particularly in the back of my throat. It stayed that way through the entire pipe, and burned to a clean white ash. I used a Prince style, older Ascorti KS, which tends to get warm if I smoke too fast, but it worked very well for this experience. This will become a regular in my tobacco rotation, but I have not yet decided on "the" tobacco, if such ever comes to pass. My wife liked the aroma, and commented on the "richness" when she walked onto the patio. Definitely a winner, as far as I am concerned.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

When I saw that Renaissance was rated higher than my favorite (Raven?s Wing) with roughly the same number of reviews, I got excited. Wow! Better than RW?!? I was really anxious to start smoking Renaissance.

Looking at it, the hand of Greg Pease is readily evident. He just doesn?t make unattractive tobacco. The colors range from bright to black, and everything in between. The mid-tones dominate. The aroma is definitely Latakia and Oriental.

Packing was pretty easy, and lighting went better than I expected ? the leaf seemed a tad bit damp to me. I needn?t have worried. It burned very well, even in a deep narrow Bjarne. The tapered bottom of the bowl didn?t even keep Renaissance from burning down to a fine ash. In other bowl shapes, the tobac performed even better.

Renaissance is a very complex tobacco. It took me a few days just to get a handle on it. Every time I thought I had it nailed, it threw me another curve. The Oriental used is first-rate, and has a nice well-rounded flavor. The Va component rounds out the blend with very interesting high notes, while the Latakia takes care of the lower end. But the main focus of Renaissance isn?t either of those, this one is all about the Oriental. You will find the full gamut of flavors here, from woodsy and leathery, to the sweet-tang of the Va. But at no time do the Va?s or the Latakia ever upstage the Oriental. I enjoyed the multi-layered complexity ? the Syrian and Cyprian, and Va?s intermingling amongst themselves while at the same time dancing with the Orientals.

Renaissance is a truly wonderful tobacco. If you haven?t tried it, you should. You won?t be sorry. For its ingenious complexity and outstanding flavor and quality, I have no choice but to give it 4 stars. I?ll have it in my rotation. Is it better than Raven's Wing? Nope.

pipenewbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipenewbie (5)

A very nice tobacco. I don't know if I can call it an all day smoke because its richness builds on you, but surely it would be welcome for a good portion of the day.

I cannot really detect the orientals, but the latakia comes through when sampling the bag aroma and also during initial lightup. It has less latakia and orientals than my beloved British Woods, but that is not a bad thing. BW is superb, but it can be heavy. Renaissance is markedly lighter without being flat and is therefore an excellent alternative. (If British Woods is my coffee then Renaissance is my tea).

Also as the weather gets warmer, I have noticed BW seems almost too heavy whereas Renaissance is almost perfect for spring temperatures.

The room note of Renaissance doesn't sit too well with the wife, but when outside it is somewhat complimentary. I smoked it during the Super Bowl and got evil looks from my wife and daughters. However during Easter, smoking on the deck, they gave it a "not too bad".

It does smoke very dry. Before you know it, it is almost gone from your bowl.

All throughout the bowl, Renaissance does not misbehave. As a newbie, a FNG, to pipe smoking--if this is what is meant by an English blend--I will be smoking English for a long time to come.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I picked up my first tin of Renaissance more than a month ago -- stamped 01 13 04. Fantastic aroma in the can! After dumping it out on a tray to have a look at my first Pease blend, I was pleased to see some fine tobac in there. It's an attractive mixture for sure.

Dunhill 965 is my standby, so I tend to compare everything else to it by default. Renaissance has a more tangy scent and, in certain spots, a less homogenous cut. But that's no problem. I also found a bit more powdery tobacco settled in the bottom of the Pease can than I would have liked, but I discovered that adding a pinch or two of the powdery stuff to each bowl actually enhanced the overall burn. No big deal, really.

Renaisaance packs nicely, and after a few bowls I was able to adjust my technique to complement the blend. Some of my pipes wanted a slightly firmer pack toward the bottom.

Charring light is inviting. Really nice. After a tamp, I give a second charring light, tamp, then light up. This blend was picky about staying lit at first, but again, you can't expect every blend to behave the same. You either find that it's worth the trouble to learn how to treat it or you move on. I found Renaissance worth the wait.

The flavor is very nice, very even, and extremely balanced. I love Latakia, and while I'm used to blends with more of it, I found this one to have enough to still do the trick. Renaissance really lets you taste everything and keeps the Virginias in check. Great stuff. Earthy, leathery, nutty, spicy notes all over the place make for an exciting, satisfying smoke with a robust, dynamic aroma. This stuff smokes cool and doesn't want to bite. But if you do smoke fast/hot, the moisture level out of the can may send your tongue to the sandpaper sauna.

This is a top-notch blend, suitable for seasoned smokers, newcomers, and those who might just want to see what a nice English-style blend is about. I give it my highest praise and plan to try other blends from G.L. Pease. This blend is worth buying in quantity and aging for a special smoke.

Renaissance is the second G.L. Pease blend I ordered from Cupojoes (the other being Barbary Coast). I must say this is one of the best Latakia-Oriental-Virigina mixtures I have tried in years. It is full of different flavours, spicy, allowing the different components to expand and mingle to form a tapestry of delicately balanced counterpoints.

It is different form most English tobaccos (be it Dunhills? or Gawiths?) in that the Latakias used are not as ?harsh? or powerful. In fact the Orientals in Renaissance seem rather disciplined (though by no means tame) and harmonious, not overshadowing the Virginias? mildness. I don?t mean to say that Renaissance is ?better? than traditional English-English (I still find London Mixture, 965 or even Squadron Leader top smoking material), but it is definitely different, mysterious and ?deep?.

The interplay of flavours, the excellent burning rate and the perfectly structured body of the mixture as a whole, provide a wonderful smoke. I think this is a tobacco every Latakia-Oriental-Virginia smoker should try. It is absolutely enjoyable and a very rewarding experience.

JoeBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeBriar (10)

I was desperate to see what all the fuss was about as GLP's aren't sold in the UK (come on Greg!). The appearance is similar to Dunhill EMP and on initial smoking has vaguely similar characteristics, but this is a more refined less harsh smoke. The smoke is =smooth=, velvety and very well balanced, nothing overwhelms anything else, VA & Orientals are singing in harmony, not having an argument. The taste is complex, if I puff slowly more VA whilst a stronger puff give mores orientals. I have to slow myself down to avoid tongue-bite, but that's my fault for being too eager! This has enough VA backbone to give the VA lover satisfaction, whilst the oriental & latakia add spice & top-end flavours. The flavours meld more toward the middle/bottom of the bowl, but remain consistently good. Some tobaccos are like dim-sum (tasty but ultimately not satisfying) some are like a heavy meat & two veg (satisfying but not that tasty) whilst a very few are like a cordon-bleu 3 course meal (both tasty & satisfying) Renaissance is the last category - high praise indeed! The moisture content is excellent, a good dry smoke without burning like straw. So now I know what the noise is about and it's not hype. This is an excellent tobacco.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: Medium ribbon cut, nice assortment of lengths. A full spectrum of colors, mostly medium and dark with some noticeable lighter leaf.

Aroma: A very full oriental aroma, spiciness and smokiness predominate. If you persevere you will also detect some wonderful virginia sweetness. The turkish and latakia definitely are the stars.

Packing: Very easy to pack in a wide range of pipes, but not tried in anything smaller than a ?group 3+?.

Lighting: Takes a charring light well, usually does not go out during the initial tamp.

Initial flavor: Flavor is just what I expected from the aroma, only more intense. There is quite a bit of latakia flavor, (both the sweeter Cyprian and the smokier Syrian are evident), but the main sensation is the turkish spice. The virginias are in the background here, but lend a roundness o the smoke.

Mid-bowl: By mid bowl, all the flavors come through with subtlety. They are all there, but nothing dominates more than momentarily. The smoke is cool at any normal puffing rate, and the pipe is dry. The ash is a lovely shade of pale gray. This is a blend that can be enjoyed even if your mind is busy elsewhere, but if you give it your full attention, it can carry you away. Some have used musical analogies to describe this blend, usually likening it to a symphony. To me, it?s more like one of Schubert?s string trios.

Finish: End of the bowl is too soon. There is usually no dottle, just gray fluffy ash. If you smoked slowly, your pipe cleaner won?t even get very dirty.

Summary: This is definitely a blend for the oriental lover, also recommended for the latakia lover (unless he?s a latakia junkie). Extremely well balanced, rich, tasty and well behaved.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)

I will state my one complaint against Mr. Pease tobacco first - the doggone tin is too small - not that there isn't a full 2 oz, it is too small to pack a pipe over the tin. You end up with tobacco on your desk or lap as you trickle it into the bowl, a real pain. That said, there is nothing else to complain about. The tin aroma is rich in Latakia on first opening, but that mellows and the VAs and Balkan come through after a bit. It expands nicely in the charring light and takes a match very easily. At first, it appears that the wonderful Latakias battle for dominance over the Orientals. Then, a couple puffs later, the Balkan makes an appearance setting the stage for a three frontal assault upon both palate and olfactory senses. Finally, the Viriginas make their presence felt and add a new dimension. These four flavors continue the struggle - each rising and falling in a wonderful complexity that tantalizes with each puff. The smoky room note has wonderful nutty overtones. While I give the battle scene as an image of how the flavors compete for my attention, this isn't a bad thing. Instead, this tension throughout give Renaissance its distinctive charm. Too many times, one flavor dominates a blend to the exclusion of the others. The flavors in this blend compete on equal footing - blended in such a way that all the charms of each of the individual tobaccos take the stage in a dynamic struggle. Only as you smoke it do you understand, they are not fighting one another - each is fighting for your attention - and you give it, willingly, the battle staged in your own mind of which one you find most enticing. In the end, I decided it was a stalemate and packed another bowl for a rematch.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)

This is the kind of blend that makes me wish I had a more refined palate, and that is about as good of a compliment as I can give a tobacco. Greg Pease has created a wonderfully balanced English blend which is very enjoyable to smoke. Unlike most english blends in which one component invariably dominates another at some point during the bowl, this tobacco is fluid from first light to ash. The virginias, orientals and latakias (cyprian and Syrian) perfectly meld together and play off each other from first light without straying from course. I think William Serad said it best in his P&T review of Renaissance: It's a Symphony of flavor", a "Victorian parlor". I couldn't decribe it any better myself. The funny thing is that when I was originally sent a sample, I was burnt out on English blends (momentarily , of course) and was smoking mostly Virginias and American blends such as Aleister and Templar (also blended by the talented Mr. Pease). Like a shmuck I passed over the sample bag for almost 2 months until a friend asked to try it. His response was so positive that I immediatley smoked a bowl. It has never failed me, whether it's a morning smoke, a late night smoke.... my first or my sixth. This is one tasty English with so many nuances and so much happening at EVERY point in the bowl, it's almost overwhelming when attempting to describe (especially with my unrefined palate). It has been claimed as a masterpiece by many... I wouldn't argue, though I might spell it MASTER PEASE!! If you like english blends you will LOVE Renaissance. Go get some NOW.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

After smoking Mephisto, I was eagerly looking forward to trying this GLP blend, especially since many have rated it as even better. After trying several bowls, I understand the praise! This is an excellent, well-blended, and complex full English mixture, well worth the attention it has been getting recently. It is, if not the best, than certainly in the top two two or three English tobaccos I've tried up till now. On opening the can, the aroma is surprisingly mild, MUCH more subdued than Mephisto's strong scent. If you really get your nose into the tobacco, however, there is the clear smell of Latakia, very similar to Dunhill 965 to my mind. The leaf itself is a variety of different colors, primarily black and medium brown with some lighter brown thrown in; it is very aesthetically pleasing and varied. It packs fairly well, being mainly medium in cut, and also lights easily. It burns well, too, requiring roughly the average number of relights during the bowl. I chose a Stanwell 1/8 bent billiard for the first go, one that I often use for English blends. In the first third of the bowl, I get the immediate flavor of strong Latakia. This quickly changes, however, into a mix of flavors, melded together perfectly into a delightful, balanced mix. This balance and variation continues throughout the bowl. In the second third, the taste becomes even more complex, shifting constantly and yet always maintaining that overtone of Latakia nuttiness. I get hints of sweetness, nuttiness, spice, and other flavors I can't identify, varying on my palate from puff to puff; this is a very dynamic tobacco. Towards the end of the bowl, the flavor becomes somewhat darker and richer, while the earlier subtlety is still present. It smokes very dry; I was sucking ashes before I realized that the bowl was finished, and there was NO residue moisture. There was some bite towards the end, but that may have been due more to my puffing than to the tobacco itself. Overall, this is a very complex, superbly blended full English tobacco, one which I would recommend to anyone. While not quite as dark in flavor as 965, I believe I'll reach for this one anytime I don't want to fight the nicotine in Dunhill tobacco. Another excellent blend, Mr. Pease!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (109)

Update three years later..... The obnoxious greenness has indeed abated; I now pronounce it cured. It may have completed its journey after only two years in the can. I forgot I had an open tin until recently. I owed Greg this update, but not an apology- it really was initially nasty. Do I like it? Well... Yes, the tin I smoke from is quite adequate, damn good even, but having been opened in 2005, it has lost its subtle graces. The closest I can compare it to is Squadron Leader, a favorite of mine. I'm too cheap to crack open a fresh tin due to its appreciation on the open market; my tins will become gifts instead to a few pipe snobs who have taught me much.

From 2005: I hate to keep pissing on GLP blends, especially this one, his only 4-star (with more than 5 reviews) as of this writing. From the ingredients, it ought to be my favorite. I enjoy the smoky phenolic tin aroma and virtually every characteristic about it... but the flavor. All I can taste is harsh latakia with an undertone of coarse steel wool. Extremely dry, ammoniacal and *green, like uncured tobacco, like drying latex paint. Orientals? Can't taste any.

My (second) tin is now six months old, and I'm praying for a mellowing effect with age. Raven's Wing started the same way, but became smokeable after a year, and very nicely so.

This may be a bad lot or it may be my body chemistry. Why similar C&D blends with similar (same?)leaves don't share this quality is a mystery.

I cannot recommend what I dislike, but will give it two stars, borrowing one from a hopefully better update in December.

* I use the term "green" as a euphemism for harsh, raw, astringent and noxious. I've grown tobacco and unfortunately recognize greenness when I taste it. This has it.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Tin put into bail-top jar dated 5/02.

The Master of Latakia hits it again, Dead On. This is Oriental tobacco at its finest, with the Latakia and Virginias playing their important, but subdued, roles with elegance and grace.

Damn I miss Syrian Latakia!

A tobacco tapestry...NOT an Oriental rug. I get notes of toasted Irish oats, butter, brown sugar, smoke, sourdough bread, cherrywood campfires, bacon and Hoisin.

This is not a flavor bomb. Best to smoke while paying attention to smoking. Very relaxing and meditative. If you hoover this one, you're wasting time and excellent tobacco.

Many try. Few succeed. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Masterful accomplishment with simple ingredients.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

At the risk of offering a superfluous review, I'll just throw in my two cents on this discontinued blend, since tins are still to be found on eBay and in private cellars.

I'm currently smoking a tin from 2004, and it is a fantastic combination of incense-like Syrian latakia (from a truly memorable vintage), delicious Cyprian, and a delightful balance of Virginias and orientals. Among the Pease range of discontinued Syrians, Renaissance is tied for second place with Bohemian Scandal (to my palate), behind #1 Raven's Wing. Only you can decide if it's worth $50/tin (or whatever it'll be going for on eBay when you read this), but since that breaks down to only about $2.50 per 45-minute bowlful, I can't imagine passing up the chance to experience this.

calavera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calavera (26)

I had a tin of this that I had acquired before the notorious fire that caused the loss of the Syrian latakia. I had it sitting on the shelf, because I had not gotten to it yet. All of a sudden, tins are going for fifty dollars on ebay. It was mighty tempting to list this one. I did not.

I was looking for something special to celebrate passing the RS/REHS certification (an environmental health certification that involves a 250 question test that covers everything under the sun- nasty).

I pulled down the tin of Renaissance. Upon opening, I was presented with a very nice smoky, latakia aroma. The cut was very attractive.

Loaded a pipe, and put it to flame. It was too wet, and was hard to keep lit, but seemed to taste good.

I let the tin dry, and have worked my way about halfway through it. It is good, but does not seem to have all the nuance and the slight sweetness that Samarra does.

I will gladly smoke my way throught the tin, but I wish that I had sold it and bought five tins of Samarra instead.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

Renaissance is by far the smoothest English blend I've ever tried. Subtlties abound in its mingling set of very well balanced flavors. The room note and even the taste remind me a lot of the incense used in Catholic masses at the abbey near my childhood home. With all this going for it, this should be one of my favorites but for some reason it isn't. It's simply too light an English to fit into my regular rotation. I like blends that send a wave of orientals and/or Latakia washing across the palate. Call me a simpleton, but I prefer Squadron Leader or a good Balkan (like GLP's Charing Cross, actually). Nevertheless, I keep a can of Renaissance around for the occasional after-dinner smoke, when I feel like concentrating on the hidden treasures to be found in this exceptionally well made blend.

Methos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Methos (2)

One of the first tobaccos that I tried after I started smoking a pipe a few years ago. I wanted to try a Latakia blend before I went for a full English mixture and I wasn't disappointed. I loved this tobacco from the moment that I opened the can. The flavor was so complex, but yet, not overpowering, and the flavor was close to the description on the can. The good news is, this is one of the best tobaccos that I have had to this day. The bad news is, the G.L. Pease factory that the Syrian Latakia (used to make this blend) was housed in burned to the ground, so they are not making this blend, indefinitely. It will always be a true classic in my mind, and I hope to have another tin of it in the future, if it is produced again.

Ebola Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ebola (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent English Blend. It packs easily and lights with minimal effort. The latakia is the main attraction but this is perhaps the most balanced; smooth blend I have encountered. There is a harmony of flavors which start out bright and get darker towards the bottom of the bowl, however nothing "takes over" and all elements are present and in balance throughout. It burns clean and dry and never gets harsh. I love this blend and highly recommend it to those looking for a near-perfect English.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)

This or Robert Lewis? Tree Mix (which Renaissance seems to me to resemble greatly) would probably be my desert island blend. A rich, smooth, excellent blend. Another instant classic from Pease, truly deserving of all the high accolades received from previous reviewers. I won?t try to add to their descriptions of this fine blend. I will only note how remarkably well this blend burns, even by Pease standards. I generally take it as a good sign if you are smoking a blend and suddenly start bringing in ash because every last shred of tobacco has been consumed. No gooey dollop of dottle at the bottom of the bowl with this fine blend. Excellent in every way.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Don`t you have five stars in this ranking? This is one of my favorites english blends, may be the best together with Bohemian Scandal, My Mixture 965 and Nigthcup. The aroma of the tobacco in the tin remembers me higos, nuts and grass. The blends is easy burning, a litle agressive with the people around. The taste is just great, all you can wait for a english blend, a perfect balance betwen the orientals, latakias (cyprian and Syrian)and the virginias. Is my favorite Dark Lord`s (AKA GL Pease) english blend! You must try this wonderfull tobacco

The Cellarmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Cellarmaster (13)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

A full flavored English blend, carfully blended where one component will not overpower another. The texture of the smoke is creamy and full, the flavor as discribed on the tin is nutty with a good balance of spice. Overall a well balanced English smoke, great for anytime during day or night.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

Mr. Pease has outdone himself with this blend. So much has already been said abour Renaissance, so all I will add is this: although my palate is not as accomplished and sensitive as some of the other reviewers, it was immediately clear to me after a bowl of Renaissance that this is the most well designed traditional English blend of the dozen or so top names that I have tried. It's obvious that Mr. Pease cares a lot about his craft, and the results show. Kudos!

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

Although I've rated Renaissance as "I smoke this on occasion," I did so more because I believe this is a high-quality tobacco, than because I actually liked it. I was searching the reviews and descriptions for tobaccos that might have the tangy tinge that I liked so much from Balkan 15 (by Smoke 'n' Snuff of Florida) and was very impressed with G.L.Pease's Samarra. So I branched out into his selections, trying recently Charing Cross and now Renaissance. Well, I find Renaissance as high-quality as the others, but much less Latakia than I'd like. It is a well-rounded, nutty, sometimes beefy taste, and that disappoints me. I want that Darjeeling thing. So I find the tin description ever so slightly misleading on Renaissance -- "a good measure of Cyprian and Syrian Latakia" should be reworded as "a hint of ...". It's largely a Virginia blend, to my unrefined palate, and it has more nicotine than I'd like.

I'll continue with this one tin for another few bowlfuls, unless someone emails me (hint hint) to offer a trade of my remaining Renaissance (approx. 1.99999 oz.) for Samarra or another zingy tangy blend by G.L.Pease, maybe Cairo or ... what's that other one ... Barbary Coast? Can't remmeber. Hint hint.

So, it's a high-quality smoke, but not the type I was looking for. People who like Virginia-based English blends with only the sneakiest suspicion of an Oriental zip to it would LOVE this tobacco -- hence the many positive reviews. I find it is too, umm, cigar-like, beefy, what's the word -- unhealthy tasting. Reminds me of musty old stogies.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

Intrigued by the mixture of Syrian and Cyprian Latakia dancing clouds of sublime smoke above my head, and not to mention the rave reviews here, I had to give a go. First I bought a pound, well just in case, anyway, nice strands of brown, gold, black, with a bit of green? Not sure, maybe some cavendish. Tobacco comes as all Greg Pease blends do, just right. Packing was easy enough, so it was time to light it up, the charring light produced voluminous amounts of smoke, and what a treat, the olfactory senses were working overtime trying to assimilate the varying tobaccos. As with all blends, this too, changed it's complexity down the bowl, Virginia's wafting in and out, with the dueling Latakia's bouncing around, with the Oriental's as support. This left a nice grey ash, with no dottle, and a pleased palate, good stuff!

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I recently purchased five different blends from this company based on the reviews I read here. I saved this one for last and as it turns out, I saved the best for last. Not that I was dissapointed by the others but this one receives a wow from me. First of all there is a quality in the cut of the tobacco, it is consistent and very easy to pack and light.

I have always thought that a lot of my smoking pleasure comes from the little whifs of smoke I breath in through the nose. This tobacco gives me a great enjoyment this way and I find myself trying to catch the aroma off the top more than other tobaccos that I smoke, many of which are more Latakia.

This tobacco is rated medium to full by others, I find it to be very full in the taste side and somewhat mild so far as nicotine strength goes. I smoke a little wet and a high nicotine tobacco is usually hard going in the final inning, this one isn't. Just wish I could spell Renaissance without double checking. Oops ?

This is another of Greg's masterpieces. It burns well, smokes well, has a wonderful complexity,but............ Yes, there is a but. I found this blend a little too bland,there I said it. I much prefer the flavor of Oddysey or Charing Cross, and IMO nothing has surpassed the greatness of Raven's Wing.(trust me, I have been searching since it went out of production). If given a choice between other blenders of English or this, of course this one would be the one. This review was given after 3 tins in various pipes to give me as much experience with it as possible, but with other great ones in the Pease line, I have to pass this one for now........ Update: 7-10-03 The new batch of this blend is truly delicious, IMO this is the best "English" blend that I have ever tasted. If it were not for the other delicious blends by Greg, this would be my favorite. As Greg stated, the Syrian Latakia that is in this blend is truly tastier than the last batch. Enjoy...

LarryF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarryF (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my favorite Pease blend, and is as good an English blend as I ever expect to find. As a general rule, I don't care too much for really heavy latakia blends, and this this mixture seems just right. What makes it a winner is how beautifully harmonized all the different parts are. The Virginias, orientals, the latakia - you can taste it all, with everything working together. If you like English blends, you must try this.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Firstly, I must again compliment Mr. Pease on producing a product that is perfect right out of the can. All of the Pease blends I have tried are perfectly cut and are at the right moisture level right out of the can. Now if we can just get him to use cans with a wider opening.

Renaissance is an outstanding English. It starts off tasting like most other English blends for the first third of the bowl, but quickly builds to heights of good flavor. This is a very complex taste, not dominated by the latakia and the latakia that is there is sweeter than most and not as smokey. I understand that this is due to the Syrian latakia used, which unfortunately is Renaissance's downfall as Syrian latakia is, once again, unavailable. The Pease website indicates that Renaissance has been discontinued until further notice.

It took me a while to warm up to Renaissance. Frankly, my first can was good, but I did not feel it was exceptional. As I am now into my third can, I have warmed up to it. This may be one of those blends that is so complex, it takes some time for your tongue to understand it. It may just be that Renaissance needs to be smoked at the right temperature to bring out its best qualities. Now that my taste buds understand it, I love it.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i almost hate to keep posting these GLP reviews, because it probably seems as though i'm on greg's payroll. great english mixtures have always been my favorite type of tobac, and this one DEFINITELY qualifies! the thing that sets renaissance apart from the pack for me is the brilliant mixture of the virginias, orientals, and two types of latakias. all are definitely present, yet one never overwhelms the others. think "virginias" and your taste buds can easily discern their sweetness. the same with the nutty orientals and creamy latakias. it's all there, an orchestra playing a beautiful concerto. to top it off, packing and lighting are well above average. renaissance also requires minimal re-lights, although i think that's because you almost have to hold yourself back when puffing on this blend. i've smoked most of greg's blends, and this may very well be his best work. four BIG stars!

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

What can I say that has not already been said about this wonderful blend? It has everything one can want in a traditional English blend. Great aroma. The finest of tobacco ingediants. Expertly blended to give the orientals freedom to lead the parade. The latakia is in just the right amount. The Virginias brighten it all up for a perfectly rounded flavor. It is such a wonderful blend that it makes English blends new and old and familiar all at the same time. If Alfred Dunhill were alive today Renaissance would be one of his favorites. It is definatly one of mine.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

The label states that this is a classic English Style mixture. And that it is a perfect balance of its ingredients. That is exactly what this blend is. It is not marketing hype. My tin is one year old, and has been opened for the full year. Every few months, I smoked a bowl and adjusted the moisture level. It was very difficult to do this, and not devour the tin in a day or two. The wait was worth the effort. With a year of age, I find this to be one of the very best English, Oriental, Latakia blends that I have ever tasted. It is not a classic. It beats the classics of this genre. Although the ingredients have melded into a more uniform taste, all the ingredients are still noticeable. It has a wonderful deep rich creamy mahogany flavor that has the Virginia high notes offset by the Latakias, but all pulled together by the consistency of the Orientals. Along with its excellent flavor, it has a remarkable burning quality that leaves nothing but a light gray powdery ash. It is not an all day smoke for me. It is too good for that. I will save this for those occasions when I can concentrate on the smoke and not be distracted from its pleasure. This is a must try for those that enjoy Oriental, Latakia blends. Try and give it some age if you can. Highly recommended. One final word???.Excellence.

youdaman10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
youdaman10 (12)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I've smoked enough bowls to now offer my humble opinion on this offering from Pease. I find this product, my first from Pease, to be quite rewarding. As a converted cigar smoker (and mostly aromatic pipe smoker), this product is both rich and well balanced. It may be the product to convert me from aromatics except Frog Morton on the Town of which I'll never stray. Good enough is this product that I must try the other Pease blends. Fully deserving of its current 4 stars. I offer the same.

ruggiero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruggiero (19)

This is the silkiest, smoothest English I have ever tried. I find this burns incredibly cool in my Don Carlos billiard and is virtually "biteless". It's difficult to avoid overpuffing on this blend due to it's incredible taste and complexity, no doubt due to the wonderful marriage between the variety of Virginias, and Orientals in the Latakia backdrop. This will easily move to the forefront of my rotation and may unseat 965 as my most reached for all-purpose English. Burns cleanly throughout and to a fine white ash. Room Note is much improved as compared to a 965. Highly recommended.

MikeB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeB (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is simply incredible. This tobacco is everything I was looking for in a smoke. The flavour and body are amazing.

The light was fast and easy. The flame took to the leaf as if they were meant to be together. And after tasting this one, I know that to be true. Th smoke was white and pure. There was a pleasant perfume in the air That complimented the taste nicely.

The tobacco burned well and left me wondering how I would get a hold of enough to last me the year.

conicallybored Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
conicallybored (13)

The 2002 tin I obtained was sealed tight, but the tobacco was somewhat dry and burned hot. The latakia has an interesting creaminess versus a smokiness found in my favorite English blends. I can see how you would miss this once you had become accustomed to it. I will probably try to rehydrate it, but it seems out of balance. A fallen chandelier found in an old mansion.

thedigger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedigger (17)
Strong None Detected Full Overwhelming

I didn't get very excited by this one. I can't add more than the tin description says (it is a "classic English blend") except that it is a bit richer and thicker than I expected; definetly an extra-full flavored blend. If you like English blends, this one is worth a try. I thought it to be clean and to smoke well but it didn't really excite me enough to stock my cellar with it. It is a good tobacco (as usual for a Pease), it just dosen't suit my usual cravings.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

While I love a lot of Gregory Pease's blends, I do not worship the Alter of GLP. What I DO appreciate is how well he balances his blends and makes each offering distinct from the others.

Renaissance (I always missed this one on spelling tests) is a great example of this balance. It is not a heavy hitter in the realm of latakia blends- and I am a fan of the heavy hitters- , but the interweaving of flavors in Renaissance is superb. There are so many dimensions to this blend that it justifies enjoyment with minimal distractions. A "must have" blend for those Renaissance moments...

I still prefer the heavy hitters and tried 1 part of Pirate Kake to 4 parts of Renaissance. (sacreligous to GLP worshippers, I know- 40 lashings) but this just ruined the balance. Now, I just leave it alone.

I wish that these GLP blends were not so expensive, or they would be more staples in my cellar.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)

This blend is the smoothest tobacco mixture ever . So smooth and subtle. It only seems to need one light. Much finer cut than Ravens Wing and more virginia based. The latakia content has been taken way down . A bowl of this is like a driving or being driven in a Mercedes, you may travel at the same speed and arrive at your destination just the same but what happened along the way was subtle and sophisticated. A smaller bowl size about a group 4 seemed to work best. A rare treat.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Although Renaissance contains Latakia, it's impossible for me to think of it as just a "Latakia blend." This tobacco is simply too complicated and too refined to be compared to the hip-hop bass thump of many Latakia-heavy blends. The orientals and the Virginias in this blend carry just as much freight as the Latakias and the smoking experience is wonderfully tasty and complex. Like all Pease blends, the smoking characterics, cut, and consistency are all top drawer. Renaissance smokes down to a very dry light grey ash, and leaves your pipe quite clean.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

See notes on Ravens Wing . This tobacco comes in a very close second in my cellar . A wonderful Latakia blend .