Raven's Wing is a dark mixture with a large measure of Latakia, both Cyprian and Syrian. The flavor is full and robust. The Latakia is assertive, but it doesn't overpower the Oriental and dark stoved Virginia tobaccos which add complexity and balance to the smoke. Because of the large percentage of Latakia, Raven's Wing burns slowly. We recommend a more gentle touch when packing the pipe than that used with other mixtures.

Notes: From Gregory Pease website: "In November, 2004, a warehouse fire consumed our supply of the exquisite vintage Syrian Latakia that was used in Renaissance, Raven's Wing and Mephisto, as well as Bohemian Scandal. These blends have been discontinued indefinitely"

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Full

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Updated 12-19-2005

Appearance and Tin Aroma: This blend smells absolutelty delicious in the tin. The stoved VA/s and the Syrian and Cyprian Latakias smell delightful! The cut is of a medium to broad, but short ribbon.

Packing and Lighting: This blend is easy to pack, but works best if gravity fed to the top of the bowl with a gentle tamp when full. Lights 2-3 lights, but is prone to go out throughout the smoke.

Initial Flavor: This is mana!!! There is no other blend to my palate that tastes so good. The room aroma is also to die for! The spicyness of the Syrian, the stoved red VA's, yummmmmmm.

Mid-Bowl: I slow down at this point because this blend can be nippy if smoked fast. I don't mind letting it go out and re-lighting, the DGT is fabulous.

Bottom of Bowl: It builds a gentle crescendo of fulness toward the end. The mix of Latakias and VA in this is absolutely perfect.

Overall: This is my absolute, all-time, favorite blend, but there is a but. It is no longer in production!!!! I did manage to buy a small stash before its demise, but what will I do when I run out! I have limited myself to 1 tin a year for the foreseable future. This is a wonderfully complex latakia mixture that has wonderful nuances that show themselves every time I fire up a bowl. BTW it finishes with a dry, dark, mottled ash. When I smoke this blend, I prefer to smoke it exclusively. About 3 bowls per day is the max, unless you don't want to taste anything else.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Deep, dark black in the tin with the aroma of latakia mixed with aged cheese. Very cheesy aroma. If that sounds nasty, I found it exhilarating and wonderful. I couldn't wait to fill my bowl, and I wasn't disappointed when I did.

The flavor of this is deep and robust, with the two latakias marrying perfectly with the Virginias, and with the orientals coming more to the fore around mid-bowl. But this is no "Balkan" where the orientals and Virginias are equals to the latakia. This is a latakia forward blend. The Cyprian has a louder voice but at varying times takes a backseat to the Syrian. As someone who is not the biggest fan of Syrian latakia, I wonder if it just works better for me when it's blended with Cyprian. At any rate, this was a wonderfully flavorful blend, with some complexity but not to the extent of Bohemian Scandal (which is up next). As a result, it was an easier blend to relax with than BS. It had a depth of flavor that no other latakia blend in my experience has matched. This is very simply the finest tasting latakia-forward blend I've ever tasted. Naturally, it's forever relegated to the halls of memory, as I doubt I'll find much if any more. If you love latakia and can find a reasonably priced tin, this is well worth it. Even if you pay through the nose, it's still worth it. This is one of Greg's 3 or 4 finest creations, IMHO. And that's huge.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (8)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I have a very small amount of this still left from a tin that I purchased in 2002. When the tin was opened I immediately transferred its content to a mason jar where it has remained sealed - except for the very special occasions - and over the years I have lamented numerous times that when the jar is empty this wonderful tobacco is gone forever.

I just recently opened the jar to enjoy yet another bowl, and I think that the tobacco inside has gotten even better. The aroma from the jar is fantastic: very dark and smokey. And the taste when smoking is out of this world. This is, without a doubt, the best tobacco I have ever tried. And every time I think about the fact that it can never to be reproduced I kick myself for not buying several more tins when I had the chance.

I have tried (and enjoyed) many other tobacco blends over the past several years - many that I even recommend - but unless some kind of miracle happens, there will never be another Raven's Wing.

So if you are out and about and you see an old dusty tin of Raven's Wing that has been forgotten in the back a some out of the way tobacco shop - DON'T BUY IT!!! Just quietly walk away and let me know where it is, I'll take it from there.

Pipe Used: Dubhill 4421 Shell

Age When Smoked: 12 Years

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It's just too easy to smoke bowl after bowl of this fine stuff. Both Latakias lend tremendous body and aroma to the blend.

Raven's Wing is a handsome tobac that smells big and smoky in the tin and exhibits a touch of tartness as well. It packs nicely and smokes very well when packed a touch looser than usual. The burn is great and it leaves nothing but ash all the way to the bottom. The blend smokes cool and dry to the end, and it's a great tobacco for developing a cake. The mouthfeel is quite restrained for such a big blend. It's an all-day smoker (even though I rarely smoke more than two pipes a day) with huge flavor and huge aroma.

Raven's Wing is a regular in my rotation of Pease's Renaissance and Abingdon. It's an awesome, full English, whereas Renaissance is, what I feel, an English/Balkan hybrid and Abingdon a full Balkan. It's nice to have each end of the spectrum represented and enjoy a complex representative of both in the middle.

I give my highest rating to this blend, and I can't imagine not having at least a few ounces on hand at all times. A classic. ADDED 6-14-04: I'm noticing an exciting flavor shift mid-bowl. It's quite rich. This really is great stuff.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Though I've smoked it for several weeks now, Raven's Wing has escaped my review process for one reason: I wanted to make sure it is really as good as I first thought.

Latakia infatuated? I guess I am. And this stuff (the newest batch of Raven's Wing with the fresh quantity of Syrian) is a Latakia flavor powerhouse. It smells and looks wonderful in the bag: hinting at the richness to come as the bowl progresses.

The VA supports the taste with a bit of sharp sweetness. The tangy orientals come through mostly towards the end of the bowl but are very subtle below the deep, dark earthiness of the latakia. Each smoke has been a bit different, and none of it overpowering despite the high nicotine content.

The luxuriant, gray naturally sweet and spicey smoke fills the room and the palate. I don't find the odor at all offensive, even as it lingers. To date my S.O. hasn't taken any real notice of it.

It generally burns well but often needs a bit of patience to get going initially even with a light pack. In my opinion consistently worth the effort. Very little bite.

I've got a lovely hand made briar more or less dedicated to this and other milder Latakia blends. It is one of the only blends I keep a small stash of. That says it all. To date my favorite Pease offering, Raven's Wing likely will remain in my top 3 tobacco blends of choice.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Raven's Wing is a short-cut black ribbon with a few pieces of brown here and there. Although it definitely smells of Latakia in the tin, the tin contents don't have an overpowering smell. This blend is easy to load, takes the match well, and burns wonderfully. At first, the blend is a little tingly, maybe even a touch bitey, with a muddy Latakia midrange. As the bowl progresses, though, the smoke becomes softer and just a bit sweeter (although still not at all "sweet" in the usual sense). At this point, the smoke is a heavy, nice, smoky Latakia with the upper ranges alternating between a slight sweetness and a slight bitterness. Very tasty. All the way through, it smokes very cooly and produces a good smoke volume. For me, the single most striking characteristic of this blend is not its taste, which is very full and rich and wonderful, but its incredibly RELAXING effect. I don't know what's happening, but this blend invariably turns me into calm, relaxed blissed-out dishrag. I am simply imperturbable for a few hours after I smoke this stuff. It is true Buddha-weed. It smokes to a fine white ash, but you won't be paying any attention to that. You'll just be sitting in your chair saying "oooh," "aaah" and stretching your butt around like a Persian cat.

farndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farndog (22)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

As incredible as some of Greg Pease's blends have been, first with F&P, and now in his own G.L. Pease line of tobaccos, Raven's Wing may be his masterpiece. Raven's Wing comes in those crummy little pop top cans, but the contents are easily dumped into a tobacco jar. Upon opening the tin I wonder if there is anything but Latakia in the can - a second whiff reveals a sweet background and the some spice - do I detect Syrian Latakia too? Yum.

The blend is 75% dark and 25% light tobacco. zit packs easily into a pipe and has a nice consistency. The match reveals a different tobacco than one would expect from the tin. Raven's Wing is well-balanced and full of flavours other than Latakia - do not get me wrong you have to like latakia to fully appreciate this blend. The Virginia tobaccos (reds?) in here support the Latakia well and don't leave with only the taste of Latakia that some smokes do. This tobacco burn cleanly and doesn't get yucky toward the bottom of the bowl. The pipe stays clean and mostly dry.

You English tobacco smokers have to try this one!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Appearance - Full range of medium and dark tobaccos. Medium width ribbon, neither long nor short. A bit drier than most blends, but perfect for my taste in that area. I usually have to let most tobaccos dry out a bit before I can enjoy them.

Aroma ? Very smoky and rich, I wanted to just sniff at it for a while (almost chew it). There is a definite presence of Syrian Latakia, some sweeter Cyprian, good Turkish spiciness and a solid sweetness of Red Virginia. All the components seem to stand out, but none drowns out any other. Excellent balance promises a great smoke.

Packing: This blend needs a bit of a light touch when packing, especially at the bottom of the bowl. It is too easy to pack it just a bit too tight.

Lighting: Lights easily when properly packed. Typical "charring light, tamp, relight" sequence gets a good slow burn going.

Initial flavor and aroma: I noticed the Latakia first, followed immediately by the fullness of the Virginias and the nutty, spicy Turkish. Rich, cool and well balanced right from the beginning. Stays lit well even at a slow burn rate.

Mid-bowl: No perceptible change at the middle third of the bowl, continues to burn dry and even.

Finish: Like most tobaccos, gets a bit stronger in flavor at the end. Continues to burn to a clean gray ash. I sometimes had to dump a small amount of the ash to relight, as it forms a blanket which impedes relighting. Left me satisfied, with my tongue and palate unstressed. I didn?t get the "hit me again" feeling right away, owing to the richness of the smoke. Tried in the following pipes: Actually tried in too many to mention, medium to large bowls mostly (and a few small ones), both air-cured and oil-cured briars. For me it worked well in all sizes, but best in the larger bowls.

Particularly liked: Where to start? I liked everything about it, including the size (2 oz. Vs the usual 50 grams) although I wish it were available in 4 oz. size.

Particularly disliked: The only thing I disliked is the shape of the can. It?s too narrow for me, and I don?t have large hands. I can get the tobacco out for the first third of the can, then I have to pour it onto a sheet of paper.

Summary: For me, a great evening smoke in a good size pipe. It would probably be a good choice for outdoors on a cool day, as it does not burn hot unless really overpuffed or fanned by a stiff breeze. Definitely a smoke for anyone who enjoys Latakia, but does not like being overwhelmed by it. It is at the top of my list of Full English blends

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is by far the fullest GLP tobacco I have tried. In fact, it's the richest, fullest tobacco I've tried by ANY blender! This one's a definite treat for us Latakia fans. The tin aroma is subdued, like most Pease tobaccos. I can smell heavy Latakia as well as a hint of spice, a subtle sweetness, and a "brighter" tobacco odor which I can't place. The leaf itself is highly variable in color: deep blacks, dark and medium browns, and some lighter yellow/tans make up the visually pleasant mix inside the tin. The moisture level is a bit low, normal for GLP, and the cut is medium in length and fairly wide. It packs easily and lights easily, burning with an average number of relights. In the first third of the bowl, the primary flavor is Latakia: strong, full, and not at all subtle. This is quite obviously more Latakia than I am used to seeing in a blend. Despite the heavy nutty, woodsy taste, other flavors are also contributing. I can taste a light sweetness, a smooth Oriental flavor and a complexity that is far from one-dimensional. Into the second third, I am finding this a surprisingly smooth smoke for such a full taste. The complexity has developed nicely, as it does with every GLP blend I've ever tried. This is a very rich, full, satisfying blend; it is perhaps the fullest English I've ever tried. It is remarkable how such a good level of subtlety can be maintained in this type of tobacco. The room aroma is very full as well; non-smokers may object! Into the final third of the bowl, I noticed a bit of a gurgle, easily taken care of with a pipe cleaner. There is no bite, just a smooth, full, rich, and very dark flavor that is complex yet satisfying. The complexity and darkness have increases since the first part of the bowl, maturing nicely into a lovely finish. Overall, this is a very satisfying, very full English blend, best smoked at the end of the day. It is fuller than both Frog Morton and Dunhill 965, and yet is more complex than FM as well. If you are looking for a very full but smooth English blend, or a blend with heavy Latakia, you should try this one. It will find a regular place in my rotation, and possibly even a dedicated pipe. Excellent!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A strong Latakia mixture, with a high percentage of dark leaf. Alternatively bitter and sweet (thanks to the Virginias), it is a very good smoke. I won't spend much time into details for a simple reason: for me it tastes like a cross between the delicate fullness of Renaissance, and the darker tones of Odyssey: I like its leathery smokiness! Burning qualities and all other considerations (including the very unintrusive tin smell) are similar to the ones I wrote for those two other tobaccos. Another fine offering from the Dark Lord, with the typical distinctive taste of his Latakia mixture: not a departure from his usual style, but a welcome slightly different nuance. Major complaint: the extremely fine cut of the tobacco (most of it is almost dust-like, although there are some huger bits), which makes me blow unburnt tobacco at the first puff, and can clog the airhole!

2008 Update: I am smoking a 5 year old tin of this blend (only 2 more left in my cellar!!!), and it is extremely smooth now. Not as sweet as I remembered, and more oriented on flavours of dark (like stoved) virginia with some vague lemony hints, a big but not particularly spicy smokiness, very woody. Very good, but on the long run I still see why I have always preferred Caravan, Odyssey, Charing Cross, Blackpoint or Abingdon, which taste more lively, nutty, spicy and dynamic. Now I can't wait to taste Maltese Falcon which is meant to be an update (probably improved) of this classic and sadly departed blend...

Spuds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spuds (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Raven's Wing is the first time I really connected with a GLP blend. Don't get me wrong - I haven't had a bad GLP blend, but never before has he hit the spot in such a way.

Since I have finished the last of my RW and it is no longer available, this is a plea; If you find any - buy it and send it to me. Only me.

Me! I tell you!

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

What more can be said about this one!! I had been saving a tin and broke it open the other day. Wonderful stuff! To bad its not available anymore. (I did stumble across 4 tins dated 9/11/03 the other day when I was looking for something else at my local shop!!) They will sit in the cellar for a while!!! This is a complex blend and it would be one to devote your time and attention to and enjoy it without distraction.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Raven?s Wing and Renaissance are in an ongoing battle for the title of ?My favorite Pease blend.? I had expected a paradigm shift with the recent entrance of Bohemian Scandal into the ring, but Raven and Renaissance continue to dominate. I love both Syrian and Cyprian Latakia, and here you get the best of both worlds. And with both kinds of Latakia working together in perfect harmony, I fail to see how any lover of English blends wouldn?t be enchanted by this beautiful mixture. If any blend deserves the accolade ?complex,? it?s Raven?s Wing. I only hope it survives the great Syrian shortage of ?04. The world of pipesmoking will surely be a bleaker place if it doesn?t.

drauh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drauh (3)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I can't get enough of this. Apparently, neither can the whole country: all the online merchants are out. However, I found two 3-year old tins at my tobacconist's. Ah, bliss! This would be at the top of my desert island list, above even Nightcap.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

CaptnDan's Raven's Wing review says it all for me. As much as I love Nightcap and Penzance, this blend is more complex--I love the sweet/sour interplay behind the fabulous Latakia. I smoked my first tin of this in an "Armadillo" pot by Minneapolis pipe maker Rich Lewis (Rich is a tremendous high-grade pipe carver--check him out at lewispipe.com). Pease blends just continue to work for me.

2ley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
2ley (11)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I received some of this in a trade, and, along with Nightcap, it has become one of my favorites. The tin smell was wonderfully earthy and rich, the smoke was cool and full, and, having paid attention to the packing warning, I only had to relight twice.

Above all, the taste and aftertaste were marvelous. The hint of clove in my mouth after smoking it just added to the experience.

You could search high and low and not find a better Latakia-based tobacco.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Raven?s Wing is synonymous with Latakia. It is also synonymous with smooth, cool, delicious, and a host of other adjectives. Smoking Raven?s Wing is like smoking velvet that has been seasoned with silk. Black silk and velvet, that is. Need I state that I like it? This is the best heavy Latakia blend I have found to date. Nightcap and Penzance, step aside. Syrian Trawler ? you?ve got your sailing orders.

At first light, the Latakia boldly takes center stage. The Orientals and Dark Stoved Virginias quietly join in, in a supporting role. And they certainly do their jobs to full effect, lending sometimes a sweet, sometimes a spicy backdrop to the star of the show ? the Latakia. The Syrian and Cyprian duet is enhanced by the harmonizing added by the Va and Oriental in ways that never become boring, and by the end of the bowl, you?re wishing you had loaded a larger pipe.

This is indeed one for the Latakia lover. If you feel that Latakia, traditionally thought of as a ?condiment? tobacco, should only be used to enhance and balance the flavors of other tobaccos, you aren?t going to like RW one little bit. But if you like your Latakia big and bold with the other tobaccos dancing lightly around it ? by all means, grab some Raven?s Wing, sit back, and experience nirvana.

Will I ever again think of Nightcap as my ?Latakia Grail?? Quoth the Raven, ?Nevermore?

Stycle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stycle (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have yet to try all the Pease blends but Rw is my favorite to date. This blend has a rich, full latakia flavor melded with sweet and mellow virginias which makes for a truly delicious smoke. It just amazes me that a tobacco blender can take vegetation mix it together set it on fire and come up with something that tstes so good.Raven's Wing has that somethin'somethin'.I prefer it at the end of the day though I often do a little dgt thing with it and start off the day with the remnants of my evening smoke. RW has a full flavor not a strong flavor that makes it suitable any time of the day.

Chessnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chessnut (13)
Very Strong Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

For Latakia lovers this is a must try tobacco. It has a great balance between the Cyprian & Syrian Latakias. It packs a wallup but is never harsh or bitter. I find the burn to be very nice and slow and it is also a nice dry smoke. It has a very powerful but In my opinion wonderful room note. If you enjoy My Mixture or Nightcap you will definitely love this tobacco. Highly recomended.

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

When my local tobacconist ran out of Old Ironsides (I do like heavy Latakia blends), I was almost in a near panic. He calmed me down with some G.L. Pease "Raven's Wing" For those who don't know, G.L. Pease is a new comer to pipe tobacco blending, and has already developed a large following of pipe smokers who swear by his abilities. I don't know if I would go that far in my opinion of Mr. Pease, but he does know how to blend a Latakia based tobacco. This is not a true English. He spikes it with Syrian Latakia. Syrian Latakia is very differnt from Cyprian Latakia. Less smokey, and more sweet. I don't know if I like that. Which is where I break from my fellow pipe smokers who worship at the alter of Pease. Raven's Wing is a Good Tobacco blend, as are most of the other blends Pease has developed over the years. But something is missing from Raven's Wing. I should like it. It has a great cut, good flavor, and stays lit well, but it just does not hit the spot. Try it for yourself, and you too may become a worshiper of Pease. I'll just settle for being a non-believer for the moment.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Raven's Wing is what Penzance aspires to be, but isn't. RW has layers of flavor, while Penzance is one taste all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

When the Syrian latakia dried up in early 2003, I was glad that I had some RW in reserve. The age only improved a great blend to start with.

I consider this a classic full-bodied English blend.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was initially put off and feared that this would be too strong of a smoke, but decided to give another Pease blend a try. I am glad I did.

The Latakia does stand out in this mixture, but it is intended to! The Virginia gives it a nice platform to stand up and shout.

All in all, it was milder than I expected. The Syrian Latakia does come through nicely, along with the Cyprian which somewhat softens the impact and allows for the interplay with the Virginia.

This has quickly become a favorite.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I guess I should have waited a year or two before opening the tin. As has been the case with several Pease blends I've picked up, the tobacco was not "ripe," and tasted hot and harsh. The virginia element was mixed well with the latakia, and the latter did produce flavor that I liked, but boy, that virginia just didn't do it for me.

If you don't care whether your virginia leaf has been aged, try Raven's Wing, you may like it. If, like me, you prefer a little aging, grab a tin, stick it in your "cellar," and pay it a visit a year or two down the road.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here we have the perfect marriage of the smokiness of the Latakia and sweet sharpness of the Virginias. Can a tobacco really be this good?

Slow smoking, cool burning; I smoke this one in my biggest bowls.

If you like Latakia blends, you owe it to yourself to try this tobacco. If you don't like Latakia blends, Raven's Wing may change your mind.

Highly recommended.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my single most smoked tobacco . I call it my default tobacco . If I find myself indescisive about what to smoke , I reach for this . More times than not I find myself wanting a classic English latakia blend , and when faced with the array of english latakia blends in my cellar this blend gets smoked 50% of the time . There are times when I have to force myself to smoke something different . It's not the Holy Grail , but to date it's my most often smoked .

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Very colorful tobacco here from ... blond to black. The aroma is smoky / sweet and very rich. The flavors start out somewhat tart. Toward the middle of the bowl I noticed that this changed to a somewhat floral taste while the smoke was still in my mouth. This was folowed by a very nice sweet tobacco aftertaste that lingered on, and on ... The end of the bowl was strong. This is a dry tobacco and did not burp or bite.

I definately concur that loose packing is in order. My first bowl of this, packed in the normal way, required a few relights.

sal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sal (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great blend for Latakia lovers. The tobacco appears dark with a smattering of lighter pieces thrown in. The pouch aroma leaves no doubt that this is an English blend. The tin's humidity seems about right and the tobacco packs well, if not a bit heavy. The charring light delivers a blast of smokey, leathery taste that never quits throughout the whole bowl. It is not a sweet smoke, but more of a woodsy-smokey experience. Do heed the advice on the label and pack a little more loosely than you normally would as too tight a pack will be hard to keep lit. My previous Latakia blend had been Dunhill 965, but I found that it would tend to bite if I didn't pay attention, which Raven's Wing seems less likely to do. This blend, in my opinion offers a richer smoke with less bite. A great outdoors smoke with a pleasant room aroma.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this because I wanted to try a blend with Syrian Latakia and I knew this had it and Pease has never let me down. It is a very good blend if you are someone who likes a very strong latakia flavor. I do, but only at special times. I can't always smoke something this rich in latakia but when I crave something of this nature this is right up there with Odessey, Frog Morton,or Durbar. This and Odessey being the top of course. I imagine this is rather hard to come by now and my supply just ran out. Would surely keep it on hand though if I had the chance.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (20)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what the fuss is about this blend.

Upon opening the tin, I found this blend to be 'raw'. Aging it for several months has brought the flavors together, rounded out the harsh unevenness, but all in all, I find the overall experience rather unimpressive.

Tin aroma promises a strong experience akin to Nightcap, but in the bowl it fails to produce that. The orientals are evident, but not pronounced enough, imho. The VA component is rather lost in the background. I was also surprised to find that this tended to smoke hot for me.

As I am not generally a fan of stoved VAs (I find them flat and boring), it may be that this component is affecting the overall flavor in a way that just doesn't work for me.

Clearly, I am in the minority on this blend. This is also my first and only GLP experience to date. But so far, I'd much prefer Nightcap for robustness, or British Woods or London Blend for an English.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

Once I learned that I have to let (most) Pease tobaccos stew in their cans for a year, I've come to appreciate them more. My initial reactions to RW were not favorable: I found it biting and astringent and bitter like boiled 3 day old espresso. What a difference a year makes! A better-than-decent English blend where the latakia, though pronounced, fails to overpower the other components. This is what I had hoped Dunhill would have perfected. The orientals are nicely sweet.. or is it the Virginias? Nice overlap of tastes and the flavor is roundly full. I smoke this outside due to its non-social aroma and I don't need to send it through my nose to determine whether the pipe is still lit. Nice taste, good blend, worth the wait.

This is another good offering from Mr. Pease. The fullest of his blends that I have tried so far, it's still not as rich in Latakia as penzance or Pirate's Kake for instance. Instead this blend lends itself to superior blending and comes out a winner. While there is plenty of Latakia, there is also a Virginia base that gives a nice sweetness to the mix. Sort of like My Mixture 965 but without the cavendish. The blend is not as complex as Caravan or Odyssey but is still more so than other high latakia content blends. I can appreciate this when I have time to just smoke.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My least favorite of Greg's initial four Latakia blends; to me, the closest to a middle-of-the-road English (while the other three each have their own distinctive element that make them truly unique). The latakia is a bit too overwhelming, thus reducing the overall complexity and robbing the blend of the input of the other high-quality components. All in all, good, just not in the same league as the others.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)

This is the first of the Pease blends that I have tried and boy did I have high hopes. It is my belief that in Mr. Pease pipesmoking has reached a new level in that he is not a pipemaker producing tobacco as a sideline. This is "designer" tobacco if you will and as it is blended by an enthuisast on a small scale then in these small tins lie the hopes of many of us who have seen the big brand tobaccos go downhill over the years.

The cut of this one was broader than any most and as a result my usual pipes being of average size and oil cured seemed to not suit ravens wing it was only when i tried it in a big Italian pipe the charateristics of which or light and airy that this mixture really started to shine and shine it did. A rich complex blend posing a almost flinty quailty that I have only experienced with Cuban cigars. A great smoke ideally suited to big bowls. The only downside being a little lacking in body in the middle range for me.

ruggiero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruggiero (19)

Unfortunately this review comes after I have fallen head over heels for Mr. Pease's Caravan and Renaissance, respectively. I'll try to remain fair and reasonably objective, but if you've tried the aforementioned Pease blends, I'm sure you'll understand my dilemma. On cracking open the tin, it's apparent there are some serious goodies shredded up inside. A full, deep English is at hand (never a bad thing). I had no problem packing and keeping lit, the medium cut ribbon. It stayed lit throughout without a problem. This is a nice, smooth smoke, but my palate kept picking up a bit of a salty taste which seemed difficult to forget during the smoke. I guess where it's lacking from my standpoint is the well-roundedness, depth of flavor and complexity infused by the addition of the Orientals and Matured VAs everpresent in it's G.L. Pease cousin's, Caravan and Renaissance. Good stuff, recommended for an English lover to try, but not a personal favorite. Sorry boys. I guess I failed the objectivity test.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

great tobacco, but what else would you expect from greg pease? as the can says, there is a lot of latakia here, but the oriental and virginia tobaccos also add flavor. in other words, it's not quite as stout on the latakia as something like C&D pirate kake. nice slow burn that doesn't require a lot of re-packing or re-lights. i would agree with some of the other posts and would like to see greg use a wider, flatter container with 4 oz. ones also available. that may be the only thing that keeps it out of my regular rotation of tobaccos. i just don't like to have a lot of smaller cans around and would prefer to buy this in larger quantities(and save a little money). this one still gets 4 stars for taste.

Padraig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padraig (10)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A nice contrast to my beloved 5110, the blending of the Syrian and Cyprian Latikias is nicely achieved by this great blender of tobaccos.

As expected, it arrived a bit moist, I aired it and packed it lightly. It was a bit of a problem keeping it lit, but the flavor of this full English style tobacco was worth the effort.

I will continue smoking Raven's Wing from time-to-time, but I feel that it's missing some depth and since I'm not a blender, I have no idea what I'm looking for -- maybe a touch of Perique?

It's good. If you like Latikia's, this may be your perfect smoke.