As described on website: Yule Log is a medium-bodied blend of red and yellow Virginias with a moderate amount of top-quality Latakia. A great, cool smoke that will remind you of the aroma of the fireplace. As described this is a ribbon cut blend predominantly red Virginia with a fair amount of yellow Virginia. A nice measure of Latakia ties the medley together well.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Taste

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought Yule Log last winter for a lighter all day English blend with latakia. That is exactly what this is. I love heavy Balkans and stronger tobaccos like Irish Flake when I am sitting around contemplating the world. This blend gives me some of the same flavors, but on a lighter side. I took it out the other day after not having touched it for months at it had not lost any flavor, but the flavors blended and mellowed. A great all day or morning smoke for latakia lovers. Great for a walk in the woods when I am easily distracted by other things.

Pipe Used: Nording, Wally Frank

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (51)

If you enjoy mild to medium traditional English blend then this will appeal to you. This blend is pretty much as described above. It is rich and satisfying and doesn't bite. Yule Log can be an all day smoke. I love it in the morning with my coffee. Give this one a try and you won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs dedicated to English blends

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (32)

Opening the bag Yule Log came in revealed dominate brown and tan ribbons mixed with black flecks. It feels too dry like paper out of the bag, but I did not bother rehydrating it and as long as I kept my cadence slow it smoked fine. It had a campfire smoke smell, like when your hands have that smoke smell after messing with the fire when camping. An unlit sip revealed a dark and resinous taste, despite the dryness with sweet and smoky undertones.

The charring light brought forth a spicy and sweet taste with a sour finish. A little latakia sourness came through when I first started puffing that progressed into exotic incense like sweetness. At times it had a creamy smoke with a rich, dark, and sweet taste that reminded me of a quality salted caramel. When puffed hard this blend was a demon to the mouth, but gentle puffing made for a rich and luxurious smoke. The finish was long and I could still taste this blend in the back of my through up to an half hour from being finished. It had a taste like I just ate a burned pipe crust from a pie with a dark fruity filling. The room note was spicy and sweet with a hint of smoke, again like incense.

I like this blend well enough, and I actually enjoy the after taste quite a bit. The moments when that creamy dark richness comes into play make this blend worthwhile. This blend forced me to pay attention to my puffing, and that is a good thing. The downside was it was not enjoyable to smoke when my attention was elsewhere, like driving to work. I'd recommend this to folks looking for a festive seasonal that do not like the aromatic offerings for the holidays. I'm not certain I would like this blend any other time, but I would certainly buy it around this time every year to break up the rum and figs.

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (13)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

Very Mild "english blend". The tobacco I received was at a perfect moisture level when it arrived and needed no dry time before smoking. It does burn a bit hot, but with some conscious puffing could easily be an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: various