Conniston has cult following and its easy to see why. Consisting of 75% dark fired leaf 12.5% Malawi Burley and 12.5% Virginia, this tobacco is strong but very smooth. Without the addition of Alcohol and floral extracts, this blend would be woody, smooth and very rich. With the added flavouring, Conniston takes on a wonderful sweet and floral nature. Some detect a slight soapy note, but this is common with all Lakeland blends and after a few smokes can no longer be detected.

Notes: Conniston Plug is the uncut version of Conniston Flake.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith Hoggarth
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Floral Essences
CutPlug
Strength
Strong
Taste
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Gawith Hoggarth Coniston Plug. I can start this review with a sentence that I never thought I would say, "I enjoyed preparing this plug"! I normally hate plug prep' but with Conniston Plug it can be cut through the grain of the plug to make perfect flakes which are easy to crumble. The aroma is a 'no messing' alcoholic floral one, it's quite a pungent smell which is very suggestive of what the smoke will taste like. As I mentioned, this is brill' to get ready to smoke and I have sliced then rubbed mine into pretty fine pieces. On to another good point, getting this lit, because the prep' has allowed me to make delicate rubbings it is a doddle to light up, and once it is burning it stays lit well. The smoke temperature can become too warm if really chugged hard so I go easier with it. The flavour is exactly as I expected, floral and alcohol with the floral taste being heavier. The topping is a full one, thus making the 2 different tobacco flavours harder to discern. It does give a good nicotine hit, it's not too mental in that area however if you don't like "N" then you won't like this! I think Conniston Plug would be a good plug to begin your 'plug journey' with due to its ease of preparation but due to the nicotine amount and heavy casing it may be a bit much for some smokers! 3 stars from me.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky