Notes: This is the UK plug version of the Balkan Mixture and the description is from that blend: A true classic style Balkan type blend. Rich in Latakia, select Virginias and Orientals.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeBalkan
CutPlug
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
3.7
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

Only had a sample big enough for a couple of pipesworth of smoking but I hope I can go to some length to describe my experience of this.

The aroma of the plug is one of mild latakia, it's dark colour and consistency is not too dissimilar to dark plug, it's not the easiest to turn into flakes. Lighting is no real problem so there seems to be little need for drying. The latakia is strong fairly early on but not unpleasantly so, if you like your smoke lat-heavy you'll be happy with this. The latakia softens during the smoke to a sweetness that lends itself well to the tobacco, it then develops earth tones with occasional hints of cigar and toffee.

This is a cracking plug and I can easily see myself getting more. The nicotine is not overpowering and it seems to be a latakia I can smoke all day. I went through the sample pretty quickly which provides my only regret, not purchasing more.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I noticed the Lakeland scent a little more here than I did in the ready rubbed version. The latakia is smokey sweet and a bit woodsy with a mild back up from the Orientals. The Virginias are sweet and grassy. I suspect a very mild sweet topping is here because I don't think it's all coming from the components. This is not a very complex English and the latakia is a bit stronger here than in the ready rubbed version. It's also a little creamier and very slightly sweeter, too. While the plug version is stronger, and may satisfy those who want a heavier latakia presence, the lack of complexity prevents me from giving this four stars, even though I did enjoy it. It took a little more time to prepare than some flakes, and really does need to dry a bit before smoking it.

Mick57 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick57 (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Great plug loads of lat slow burn one of my favs will buy some more you don't find any balkan plugs I found this one thanks to Glenn at g and q tobaccos cheers Glenn

Pipe Used: Peterson ebony 303

Purchased From: G and q tobaccos

Similar Blends: Balkan flake by g and h.