PipesAndCigars

A high portion of mature dark as well as yellow Virginias combined with Latakia and Oriental leaf. Wonderful balance, mild in flavour with floral and subtly smoky notes. (Translated from the German, as it has just been introduced in Germany, imported by Kohlhase, Kopp & Co.)

Notes: This is a new remake of the reputable Durbar which was last produced by Murray & Sons for Dunhill. It varies both in cut and content from the original.

BrandDunhill
Taste
O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has just been distributed in Germany, so I suppose it will be available in other countries soon. Was very excited to find this on the shelves again. Unfortunately, it is quite a disappointment. The 'old' Durbar was a distinctive broad cut blend with wonderful qualities. This is a mixed cut with finer ribbons that does not hold up in comparison. I guess it is hardly possible to produce enough tins for today's larger market with the high standard of leaf that was used 'back in the day.' When I have gotten over my initial disappointment I will try to post a review of it on its own merits. For now, smoke it if you've got it, but, if you remember Durbar of old, don't get your hopes up too high.

Pipe Used: Several, reserved for Latakia/Orientals/Va's

Age When Smoked: one month (just on the market)

TCody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TCody (3)

Full disclosure: I love everything Dunhill, including pipes, cigars, accessories, tobacco, and fountain pens. With 53 years of pipe smoking, I have smoked all versions of Dunhill tobaccos. IMHO, the Orlik versions are better than the Murray.

Visually, the tobacco is composed of the familiar Dunhill ribbon cut Virginias and Latakia, mixed with larger chunks of Latakia, Orientals, and some intact dark Virginia flake. Three (3) stems were removed from the tin. The name "Durbar" and the visual inspection promised an Oriental forward smoke.

The smoke reminded me of Balkan Sobranie White, but the Durbar had less edge. The Latakia played a supporting role. The first half of the bowl was surprisingly smooth, almost creamy.

The second half produced more nicotine and strength than I had expected, but not in an unpleasant way. Thankfully, the tobacco didn't taste like charcoal at the bottom of the bowl.

The current Durbar is composed of quality leaf, is thoughtfully blended, is Oriental forward, is different in different parts of the bowl, and will be favored by those who enjoy Balkans.

I reserve four stars for the very best. On a one (1) to ten (10) scale, this is a 9.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland Chimney

Age When Smoked: New tin.

Similar Blends: Balkan Sobranie White.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (26)

I purchased this largely bc of the advertising campaign that accompanied the recent re-release of this blend after some years it has been unavailable. Also, I have come to enjoy dunhill English/ Scottish mixtures a great deal. I read some of the reviews written on the previously available mixture I never tried, which were largely raving. I read some of the reviews on the new release, which were raving of a different sort. I think in that way this site can be helpful. So, here goes a first timers try on this mixture.

The tin presentation is as always for dunhill, perfect. The tin aroma is very welcoming to my nose. Woody, smokey and with a good whiff of leather. The packing is easy, as the ribbons are fairly uniform. On the charring light it forms a nice white ash fairly quickly, with all the pieces burning together. The flavor is very much like the tin aroma. This flavor carries on steadfastly over the duration of the smoke. It picks up a bit toward the end, and rallies in strength a bit. Also, I notice that slight sourness I would normally describe as green olives. It burns very well and has no unpleasant changes in its draw throughout the course of the bowl.

It is not overly strong insofar as nicotine. It is perhaps a bit less than the 965 mixture, and definitely far less than the nightcap in overall power. However, what it lacks in nic hit it makes up in flavor. It is a very tasty mixture. I would say that this may become one of my favorites and have a place with the night cap and the 965 that are staples of my daily rotation. It may not be what it was in the past but, I wouldn't know that without trying a vintage tin that would most likely be well past its prime in age.

Pipe Used: Peterson 606

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Plihopliheri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plihopliheri (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Let me start by saying: I did not know the "real" Durbar, so I cannot compare to memories of yesteryear. Saw Durbar on the shelf and bought it, tried it the same afternoon fresh out of the newly opened tin. While it did not blow me away, it was certainly not really bad, either. The Latakia could be more noticeable, the Virginias dominated too much for my taste. Yet, midway through the bowl the balance seemed to shift towards my preferences. Still I do not think I will add this to the tobaccos I store regularly, but if you crave light English tobaccos with just a tiny note of Latakia, you should definitely give this new release a chance.

Update: Smoked a couple more bowls 2 or 3 weeks after I opened the tin. It did feel more rounded, but no reason (yet) for a third star.

Pipe Used: Brebbia

Age When Smoked: fresh - 3 wks old

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

It's not the Murray made Durbar, which was a Balkan to me. This version is a middle of the road English. They should have called it Alfred's Legacy no.1 or something. Now that being said, it's a quality mixture with the characteristics of an old school Dunhill, whatever that may mean to anybody else but me, a cool smoke with a balanced flavor along with some surprise nuance that intervenes once in a while. The smell in the tin is exotic and inviting, it lights easy and burns to a white ash. A no fuss Latakia mixture to be enjoyed at any time of the day.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (32)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This Orlik version is very good, an oriental forward medium bodied English. Not the same as Murray's, but still a quality mixture with the signature leathery, spicy & buttery dunhill characteristics.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

I smoked Murray's version years ago and had some left recently. It was a little fuller and was oriental (other than Latakia) forward. This re-release is a different take on the oriental subject IMO. It is more Virginia forward.

It is creamier than before and has a mild but sweet fragrance and taste from the Virginia I presume. (I don't know of a Turkish leaf that is both creamy and sweeet as opposed to herbal.) The light spicy and added depth from the orientals (I taste just tendrils of Latakia) kicks in at the bottom half of the bowl, but the Virginia still holds its own to the end.

It's smooth and cool smoking.

So different from before but still very good and maybe better suited to a wider range of English and Virginia smokers. I smoked a full tin and have several in cellar aging (but good now).

Pipe Used: Upshall, Blatter

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: Some Germain Virginias but still fairly unique..

Mr blandings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr blandings (1)

Had a good experience with this blend. Familiar with the Murray's version. Likely will improve with 2-3 years aging. I'll keep working through the tin, see if it opens up a bit.

Not that I am a 40 year veteran but I see nothing wrong with this tobacco