PipesAndCigars

A high portion of mature dark as well as yellow Virginias combined with Latakia and Oriental leaf. Wonderful balance, mild in flavour with floral and subtly smoky notes. (Translated from the German, as it has just been introduced in Germany, imported by Kohlhase, Kopp & Co.)

Notes: This is a new remake of the reputable Durbar which was last produced by Murray & Sons for Dunhill. It varies both in cut and content from the original.

BrandDunhill
Taste

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has just been distributed in Germany, so I suppose it will be available in other countries soon. Was very excited to find this on the shelves again. Unfortunately, it is quite a disappointment. The 'old' Durbar was a distinctive broad cut blend with wonderful qualities. This is a mixed cut with finer ribbons that does not hold up in comparison. I guess it is hardly possible to produce enough tins for today's larger market with the high standard of leaf that was used 'back in the day.' When I have gotten over my initial disappointment I will try to post a review of it on its own merits. For now, smoke it if you've got it, but, if you remember Durbar of old, don't get your hopes up too high.

Pipe Used: Several, reserved for Latakia/Orientals/Va's

Age When Smoked: one month (just on the market)

TCody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TCody (3)

Full disclosure: I love everything Dunhill, including pipes, cigars, accessories, tobacco, and fountain pens. With 53 years of pipe smoking, I have smoked all versions of Dunhill tobaccos. IMHO, the Orlik versions are better than the Murray.

Visually, the tobacco is composed of the familiar Dunhill ribbon cut Virginias and Latakia, mixed with larger chunks of Latakia, Orientals, and some intact dark Virginia flake. Three (3) stems were removed from the tin. The name "Durbar" and the visual inspection promised an Oriental forward smoke.

The smoke reminded me of Balkan Sobranie White, but the Durbar had less edge. The Latakia played a supporting role. The first half of the bowl was surprisingly smooth, almost creamy.

The second half produced more nicotine and strength than I had expected, but not in an unpleasant way. Thankfully, the tobacco didn't taste like charcoal at the bottom of the bowl.

The current Durbar is composed of quality leaf, is thoughtfully blended, is Oriental forward, is different in different parts of the bowl, and will be favored by those who enjoy Balkans.

I reserve four stars for the very best. On a one (1) to ten (10) scale, this is a 9.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland Chimney

Age When Smoked: New tin.

Similar Blends: Balkan Sobranie White.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (29)

I purchased this largely bc of the advertising campaign that accompanied the recent re-release of this blend after some years it has been unavailable. Also, I have come to enjoy dunhill English/ Scottish mixtures a great deal. I read some of the reviews written on the previously available mixture I never tried, which were largely raving. I read some of the reviews on the new release, which were raving of a different sort. I think in that way this site can be helpful. So, here goes a first timers try on this mixture.

The tin presentation is as always for dunhill, perfect. The tin aroma is very welcoming to my nose. Woody, smokey and with a good whiff of leather. The packing is easy, as the ribbons are fairly uniform. On the charring light it forms a nice white ash fairly quickly, with all the pieces burning together. The flavor is very much like the tin aroma. This flavor carries on steadfastly over the duration of the smoke. It picks up a bit toward the end, and rallies in strength a bit. Also, I notice that slight sourness I would normally describe as green olives. It burns very well and has no unpleasant changes in its draw throughout the course of the bowl.

It is not overly strong insofar as nicotine. It is perhaps a bit less than the 965 mixture, and definitely far less than the nightcap in overall power. However, what it lacks in nic hit it makes up in flavor. It is a very tasty mixture. I would say that this may become one of my favorites and have a place with the night cap and the 965 that are staples of my daily rotation. It may not be what it was in the past but, I wouldn't know that without trying a vintage tin that would most likely be well past its prime in age.

Pipe Used: Peterson 606

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Plihopliheri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plihopliheri (8)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Let me start by saying: I did not know the "real" Durbar, so I cannot compare to memories of yesteryear. Saw Durbar on the shelf and bought it, tried it the same afternoon fresh out of the newly opened tin. While it did not blow me away, it was certainly not really bad, either. The Latakia could be more noticeable, the Virginias dominated too much for my taste. Yet, midway through the bowl the balance seemed to shift towards my preferences. Still I do not think I will add this to the tobaccos I store regularly, but if you crave light English tobaccos with just a tiny note of Latakia, you should definitely give this new release a chance.

Update: Smoked a couple more bowls 2 or 3 weeks after I opened the tin. It did feel more rounded, but no reason (yet) for a third star.

Pipe Used: Brebbia

Age When Smoked: fresh - 3 wks old

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (75)

The new Durbar is very nice, I raced through a tin of it, and have stockpiled a good supply. It is my new, go to all day Oriental. In fact, I found myself reaching for Durbar to the exclusion of all my other blends. Durbar starts out piquant and creamy, with the Orientals and darker Virginia flavors dominating, taste changing from sweet and sour to spicy. The Latakia, peeks in now and again, but stays reserved. Through the bowl, the Orientals stay in the main, and the flavor warms with some almost ginger/clove tastes. It seems to have a little more nicotine than other blends of this type, but it is by no means a heavy hitter. The comparisons to Sobranie White are close, this is a good Balkan, much better than the Balkan Sobranie rerelease.

Pipe Used: GBD Rhodesian, Dunhill Dublin

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home White Knight, Balkan Sobranie, McConnell Oriental.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (131)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

It's not the Murray made Durbar, which was a Balkan to me. This version is a middle of the road English. They should have called it Alfred's Legacy no.1 or something. Now that being said, it's a quality mixture with the characteristics of an old school Dunhill, whatever that may mean to anybody else but me, a cool smoke with a balanced flavor along with some surprise nuance that intervenes once in a while. The smell in the tin is exotic and inviting, it lights easy and burns to a white ash. A no fuss Latakia mixture to be enjoyed at any time of the day.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (7)
Medium Very Mild Full Strong

As I was commenting onto to a friend my new purchase, he replied "and yet, another Balkan mixture." They don't tell you what's in the tin-it just reads "blended for the more experienced and mature pipe tobacco smoker," but I can tell this is blend of Turkish and Virginia tobaccos-not to mention the Latakia bit in it. As I went through the first quart of the bowl, a hint of perique hit me, if ever so more slightly, so perhaps this is due to the pipe I am smoking it in (I am a regular with VaPers) and not so more because of the blend itself. Very nutty and leathery, indeed. As I opened the tin I was surprised by the gold and black ribbons, finely cut (I guess I was expecting something somewhat coarser) and the lack of that pungent Latakia aroma which is so overwhelmingly present in other blends of this sort, but once I lit up my first bowl all my doubts dissipated. You cannot smoke this mixture straight out of the tin. Instead, open it up and let it dry for 24 hours inside of a wooden cabinet (a drawer will do the trick too). Just make sure it is not too dry before filling up your pipe.

This mixture really builds up in strength and aroma as you go past every quarter of the bowl, but it does not get sour in the end. It hasn't got the nicotine kick of, let's say Royal Yacht, but it is a late afternoon blend anyway. Balkan Sobranie is still my favourite in this range, but I'll choose it any time over Standard Mixture or The Early Morning Pipe. I don't know anything about the former Durbar as I have only tried the 2014 remake, but this mixture does it for me. I am not sure this tobacco will only satisfy the more mature and experienced smoker, for it is a very easy smoke. I guess this blend will smoke best outdoors because of its room note, but I have only tried it indoors so far. It does not seem to condensate that much, so you can smoke it in any regular pipe (with or without a filter).

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1 year, perhaps

Purchased From: John Hollingsworth's

Similar Blends: Early Morning pipe, Standard Mixture, Balkan Sobranie, etc..

(This review moved from the other Dunhill Durbar listing to the new)

Please don't be scared away by my low rating , for me, this blend is just too mild in all categories ( I know , I don't match many of the other reviews, maybe a bad tin ?) . This just might be what you are looking for? I find Dunhill "ribbon" cuts very easy to work with . Easy to pack, light, stay lit and no problems with embers falling all over.

This particular blend is smooth, creamy, and maybe even on the slightly nutty side. I wouldn't say it has burley in it ,but, it does have that minor touch of nuttiness and is woodsy . I don't really know how to classify this one, probably more Balkan than English as the Orientals play the major role over the light latakia and with hardly any Virginia support or sweetness . The flavor seems to remind me of a milder Dunhill's London Mixture with less latakia.

You can smoke this all day and don't be afraid to stoke it up, as this doesn't bite , get bitter, isn't spicy and won't get hot or ashy. I can't say I would buy this again as I like my blends with more flavor and sweetness, this is a little bland for me . That said, it's still a good blend. 2 1/2 star.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1month

Similar Blends: A mild London Mixture with less Latakia.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)

I smoked Murray's version years ago and had some left recently. It was a little fuller and was oriental (other than Latakia) forward. This re-release is a different take on the oriental subject IMO. It is more Virginia forward.

It is creamier than before and has a mild but sweet fragrance and taste from the Virginia I presume. (I don't know of a Turkish leaf that is both creamy and sweeet as opposed to herbal.) The light spicy and added depth from the orientals (I taste just tendrils of Latakia) kicks in at the bottom half of the bowl, but the Virginia still holds its own to the end.

It's smooth and cool smoking.

So different from before but still very good and maybe better suited to a wider range of English and Virginia smokers. I smoked a full tin and have several in cellar aging (but good now).

Pipe Used: Upshall, Blatter

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: Some Germain Virginias but still fairly unique..

Mr blandings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr blandings (1)

Had a good experience with this blend. Familiar with the Murray's version. Likely will improve with 2-3 years aging. I'll keep working through the tin, see if it opens up a bit.

Not that I am a 40 year veteran but I see nothing wrong with this tobacco

Pipe Used: JT Cooke, David McCarter

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (33)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This Orlik version is very good, an oriental forward medium bodied English. Not the same as Murray's, but still a quality mixture with the signature leathery, spicy & buttery dunhill characteristics.