PipesAndCigars

A high portion of mature dark as well as yellow Virginias combined with Latakia and Oriental leaf. Wonderful balance, mild in flavour with floral and subtly smoky notes. (Translated from the German, as it has just been introduced in Germany, imported by Kohlhase, Kopp & Co.)

Notes: This is a new remake of the reputable Durbar which was last produced by Murray & Sons for Dunhill. It varies both in cut and content from the original.

BrandDunhill
Taste

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has just been distributed in Germany, so I suppose it will be available in other countries soon. Was very excited to find this on the shelves again. Unfortunately, it is quite a disappointment. The 'old' Durbar was a distinctive broad cut blend with wonderful qualities. This is a mixed cut with finer ribbons that does not hold up in comparison. I guess it is hardly possible to produce enough tins for today's larger market with the high standard of leaf that was used 'back in the day.' When I have gotten over my initial disappointment I will try to post a review of it on its own merits. For now, smoke it if you've got it, but, if you remember Durbar of old, don't get your hopes up too high.

Pipe Used: Several, reserved for Latakia/Orientals/Va's

Age When Smoked: one month (just on the market)

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

I have to admit that I never smoked the previous incarnations of this blend before. I was always satisfied with Standard Mixture Medium and 965 with the occasional tin of London Mixture. I had tried all of the Dunhill blends in production and this was not one of them. Even Elizabethan was good.

I was in my local B&M here in Germany the other day and noticed that they had re-released Durbar. I did not hesitate in buying a tin to try. I am always on the lookout for Oriental/Turkish forward blends. I like Latakia, but prefer it to play second fiddle in a Balkan/English blend. And in the reviews of this blend, I was assured that this would be the case.

The tin presentation is pure Dunhill. High quality leaf in a somewhat fine to medium ribbon cut. The tin aroma was spectacular! The Turkish and Orientals sang to me. The moisture content is fine out of the tin, although I always decant the tobacco into a glass bail top jar and let it sit for a couple of days absorbing a little oxygen in the sealed jar. The aerobic organisms in the tobacco start to work their magic after being tin dumb on the shelf after production.

The packing is easy as with any Dunhill product. The light was one match after char. One relight due to my own negligence about halfway through the bowl. The flavor was as promised. Oriental/Turkish up front with the Virginia and Latakia playing a supporting role. The balance for me is almost perfect. Very nice dark coffee, bitter chocolate, fresh baked toasted bread, light floral, warm spices and smoked flavors. Not sweet in the true sense of the word, but gives the impression of sweetness in the nose. The bowl never burned hot and no bite was registered. The bowl burned to the bottom with no dampness noted. Nicotine was a solid medium, nothing dramatic. But I must say that I like heavier blends in that department. Lady N and I get along well!

This is a perfect last pipe of the evening before turning in. And my experience is that it pairs well with any good peat heavy Scotch Whisky or a good Cognac. The flavor profile of this blend will stand up to a beverage of strong character.

You can rest assured that I will be putting up many tins to enjoy later. I think this one will age well. The Virginia content is more than adequate to believe that to be the case. I hope that this review will encourage my experienced pipe brothers and sisters to give it a try if this kind of blend falls in your wheelhouse. I'm not sure if a novice would get much out of it.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: GBD Billiard and Aylesbury Canadian

Age When Smoked: One week after purchase

TCody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TCody (3)

Full disclosure: I love everything Dunhill, including pipes, cigars, accessories, tobacco, and fountain pens. With 53 years of pipe smoking, I have smoked all versions of Dunhill tobaccos. IMHO, the Orlik versions are better than the Murray.

Visually, the tobacco is composed of the familiar Dunhill ribbon cut Virginias and Latakia, mixed with larger chunks of Latakia, Orientals, and some intact dark Virginia flake. Three (3) stems were removed from the tin. The name "Durbar" and the visual inspection promised an Oriental forward smoke.

The smoke reminded me of Balkan Sobranie White, but the Durbar had less edge. The Latakia played a supporting role. The first half of the bowl was surprisingly smooth, almost creamy.

The second half produced more nicotine and strength than I had expected, but not in an unpleasant way. Thankfully, the tobacco didn't taste like charcoal at the bottom of the bowl.

The current Durbar is composed of quality leaf, is thoughtfully blended, is Oriental forward, is different in different parts of the bowl, and will be favored by those who enjoy Balkans.

I reserve four stars for the very best. On a one (1) to ten (10) scale, this is a 9.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland Chimney

Age When Smoked: New tin.

Similar Blends: Balkan Sobranie White.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (43)

I purchased this largely bc of the advertising campaign that accompanied the recent re-release of this blend after some years it has been unavailable. Also, I have come to enjoy dunhill English/ Scottish mixtures a great deal. I read some of the reviews written on the previously available mixture I never tried, which were largely raving. I read some of the reviews on the new release, which were raving of a different sort. I think in that way this site can be helpful. So, here goes a first timers try on this mixture.

The tin presentation is as always for dunhill, perfect. The tin aroma is very welcoming to my nose. Woody, smokey and with a good whiff of leather. The packing is easy, as the ribbons are fairly uniform. On the charring light it forms a nice white ash fairly quickly, with all the pieces burning together. The flavor is very much like the tin aroma. This flavor carries on steadfastly over the duration of the smoke. It picks up a bit toward the end, and rallies in strength a bit. Also, I notice that slight sourness I would normally describe as green olives. It burns very well and has no unpleasant changes in its draw throughout the course of the bowl.

It is not overly strong insofar as nicotine. It is perhaps a bit less than the 965 mixture, and definitely far less than the nightcap in overall power. However, what it lacks in nic hit it makes up in flavor. It is a very tasty mixture. I would say that this may become one of my favorites and have a place with the night cap and the 965 that are staples of my daily rotation. It may not be what it was in the past but, I wouldn't know that without trying a vintage tin that would most likely be well past its prime in age.

Pipe Used: Peterson 606

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (41)
Medium Very Mild Full Strong

As I was commenting onto to a friend my new purchase, he replied "...and yet, another Balkan mixture." They don't tell you what's in the tin-it just reads "blended for the more experienced and mature pipe tobacco smoker," but I can tell this is blend of Turkish and Virginia tobaccos-not to mention the Latakia bit in it. As I went past the first quarter of the bowl, a hint of perique hit me, if ever so more slightly, so perhaps this is due to the pipe I am smoking it in (I am a regular with VaPers) and not so more because of the blend itself. Very nutty and leathery, indeed. As I opened the tin I was surprised by the gold and black ribbons, finely cut (I guess I was expecting something somewhat coarser) and the lack of that pungent Latakia aroma which is so overwhelmingly present in other blends of this sort, but once I lit up my first bowl all my doubts dissipated. You cannot smoke this mixture straight out of the tin. Instead, open it up and let it dry for 24 hours inside of a wooden cabinet (a drawer will do the trick too). Just make sure it is not too dry before filling up your pipe.

This mixture really builds up in strength and aroma as you go past every quarter of the bowl, but it does not get sour in the end. It hasn't got the nicotine kick of, let's say Royal Yacht, but it is a late afternoon blend anyway. Balkan Sobranie is still my favourite in this range, but I'll choose it any time over Standard Mixture or The Early Morning Pipe. I don't know anything about the former Durbar as I have only tried the 2014 remake, but this mixture does it for me. I am not sure this tobacco will only satisfy the more mature and experienced smoker, for it is a very easy smoke. I guess this blend will smoke best outdoors because of its room note, but I have only tried it indoors so far. It does not seem to condensate that much, so you can smoke it in any regular pipe (with or without a filter).

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1 year, perhaps

Purchased From: John Hollingsworth's

Similar Blends: Early Morning pipe, Standard Mixture, Balkan Sobranie, etc..

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (77)

The new Durbar is very nice, I raced through a tin of it, and have stockpiled a good supply. It is my new, go to all day Oriental. In fact, I found myself reaching for Durbar to the exclusion of all my other blends. Durbar starts out piquant and creamy, with the Orientals and darker Virginia flavors dominating, taste changing from sweet and sour to spicy. The Latakia, peeks in now and again, but stays reserved. Through the bowl, the Orientals stay in the main, and the flavor warms with some almost ginger/clove tastes. It seems to have a little more nicotine than other blends of this type, but it is by no means a heavy hitter. The comparisons to Sobranie White are close, this is a good Balkan, much better than the Balkan Sobranie rerelease.

Pipe Used: GBD Rhodesian, Dunhill Dublin

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home White Knight, Balkan Sobranie, McConnell Oriental.

Plihopliheri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plihopliheri (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Let me start by saying: I did not know the "real" Durbar, so I cannot compare to memories of yesteryear. Saw Durbar on the shelf and bought it, tried it the same afternoon fresh out of the newly opened tin. While it did not blow me away, it was certainly not really bad, either. The Latakia could be more noticeable, the Virginias dominated too much for my taste. Yet, midway through the bowl the balance seemed to shift towards my preferences. Still I do not think I will add this to the tobaccos I store regularly, but if you crave light English tobaccos with just a tiny note of Latakia, you should definitely give this new release a chance.

Update: Smoked a couple more bowls 2 or 3 weeks after I opened the tin. It did feel more rounded, but no reason (yet) for a third star.

Pipe Used: Brebbia

Age When Smoked: fresh - 3 wks old

With two new/old Dunhill blends available this year, I obviously had to get my mitts on them. I never had the chance to try the "old" Durbar; I was still curious about what was in the tin. Opening which, I find the typical Dunhill ribbon cut, a pretty dark overall picture with lots of dark browns in there, about 1/4 bright leaf and a goodly amount of Latakia. The tin note is spicy and dry.

As with most Dunhills, stuffing, lighting and puffing is easy and it burns down to nothing. The flavour is nicely sweet, but the dry notes dominate. The advertised flowery notes are in there, with a note of malt and a somewhat bitter aftertaste which I can imagine would bother some smokers; I'm OK with it though.

The room note is not exactly a crowd-pleaser; this is an English blend after all. There are far worse out there. The vitamin N content is quite satisfying, by the way.

My major point of critique with this blend is that it is somehow neither here nor there; it's not a Lat bomb (I happen to like those), nor a Scottish blend, nor really a full-blown English. It isn't bad in any way, and I can't really lay my finger on what in particular bothers me about Durbar, but I most likely won't be coming back to this, preferring various other blends by the same manufacturer.

For the tin I just finished, I liked to accompany it with a good, malty, dark ale; that seemed to fit nicely. Three stars because there's nothing really wrong with it, but it doesn't fit into the "purely excellent" bracket for me.

Pipe Used: VAUEN Classic, Butz-Choquin Marseille

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Somewhat similar to Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow and Torben Dansk No. 3 Red Virginia Supreme.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (144)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

It's not the Murray made Durbar, which was a Balkan to me. This version is a middle of the road English. They should have called it Alfred's Legacy no.1 or something. Now that being said, it's a quality mixture with the characteristics of an old school Dunhill, whatever that may mean to anybody else but me, a cool smoke with a balanced flavor along with some surprise nuance that intervenes once in a while. The smell in the tin is exotic and inviting, it lights easy and burns to a white ash. A no fuss Latakia mixture to be enjoyed at any time of the day.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (143)

I smoked Murray's version years ago and had some left recently. It was a little fuller and was oriental (other than Latakia) forward. This re-release is a different take on the oriental subject IMO. It is more Virginia forward.

It is creamier than before and has a mild but sweet fragrance and taste from the Virginia I presume. (I don't know of a Turkish leaf that is both creamy and sweeet as opposed to herbal.) The light spicy and added depth from the orientals (I taste just tendrils of Latakia) kicks in at the bottom half of the bowl, but the Virginia still holds its own to the end.

It's smooth and cool smoking.

So different from before but still very good and maybe better suited to a wider range of English and Virginia smokers. I smoked a full tin and have several in cellar aging (but good now).

Pipe Used: Upshall, Blatter

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: Some Germain Virginias but still fairly unique..

(This review moved from the other Dunhill Durbar listing to the new)

Please don't be scared away by my low rating , for me, this blend is just too mild in all categories ( I know , I don't match many of the other reviews, maybe a bad tin ?) . This just might be what you are looking for? I find Dunhill "ribbon" cuts very easy to work with . Easy to pack, light, stay lit and no problems with embers falling all over.

This particular blend is smooth, creamy, and maybe even on the slightly nutty side. I wouldn't say it has burley in it ,but, it does have that minor touch of nuttiness and is woodsy . I don't really know how to classify this one, probably more Balkan than English as the Orientals play the major role over the light latakia and with hardly any Virginia support or sweetness . The flavor seems to remind me of a milder Dunhill's London Mixture with less latakia.

You can smoke this all day and don't be afraid to stoke it up, as this doesn't bite , get bitter, isn't spicy and won't get hot or ashy. I can't say I would buy this again as I like my blends with more flavor and sweetness, this is a little bland for me . That said, it's still a good blend. 2 1/2 star.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1month

Similar Blends: A mild London Mixture with less Latakia.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (33)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This Orlik version is very good, an oriental forward medium bodied English. Not the same as Murray's, but still a quality mixture with the signature leathery, spicy & buttery dunhill characteristics.

Mr blandings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr blandings (1)

Had a good experience with this blend. Familiar with the Murray's version. Likely will improve with 2-3 years aging. I'll keep working through the tin, see if it opens up a bit.

Not that I am a 40 year veteran but I see nothing wrong with this tobacco

Pipe Used: JT Cooke, David McCarter

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (14)

A long time fan of the re-released Dunhill blends I am thoroughly enjoying the latest offerings from our Scandinavian friends. I must admit that I was not sure where Durbar would fit in to the Dunhill range having done my research into the blend, particularly given London mixture's more oriental forward's offering. I must admit that this is absolutely stunning. Distinctly more oriental/Turkish forward, this is a typically sophisticated nuanced blend from Dunhill, with perfect moisture content out of the tin. Brilliant from fresh; decanted into a sealed jar for a few weeks it is absolutely sublime. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi giant egg.

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (111)

I am afraid that I am with CoolPilot on this one. After being blown away by the re-introduced Aperitif I anticipated a stellar blend. The best I got out of this was the charring light; after that it goes downhill quickly for me. Repeatedly I found myself digging out the last half or two-thirds bowl and dumping the load.

What is wrong for me? The blend fights itself: too sweet, a tang approaching bitterness, and a taste which mimics some cavendish or treatment of the Virginias, perhaps. I sometimes smoke straight Izmir and rather enjoy it. I have smoked many of the McClellend Grand Orientals which showcase many Oriental varieties on a Virgina base and enjoyed them all, but not this.

Those who enjoy it may rejoice that I will not be competing with them to get Durbar.

I finally had to deal with the half tin I had left by adding a good bit of perique and as much as 25% blending burley. At the least I can smoke that.

Pipe Used: Briars of many sizes, styles

Age When Smoked: New production

Purchased From: Cigar Express - McKees Rocks, PA

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (48)

Just like The Apéritif, this recreation of a legendary blend is a huge succes. I have had the chance to try the Murray version in the '90s and, besides the cut being less coarse in Orlik's version, the composition and aroma look very similar. The ORs dominate completely; rich and spicy, almost sweet, they are creamy; the LA and VAs play in the background, contributing some smokiness and sweetness. Orlik's version burns much better than Murray's and Orlik's ORs, in my memory, seem to be better balanced than Murray's. The Vitamin N is just right. For those considering venturing into "English" blends dominated by ORs but are afraid of LAs, Durbar is a perfect introduction to the genre. Durbar is probably one of the top VA/OR I've smoked so far.

Pipe Used: Rattray; Stanwell: Dunhill; Chacom; meerschaum

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (68)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Disappointing! Strong, full taste, but thats all about it. Like a bottle of second choice blended whiskey. Something not good in the orinetals, I would describe as "tobacco liefs where some rats did sleep for a night or more". Worst tin so far tasted from Dunhill. Cannot recommend it.

Pipe Used: savinelli champagne

Purchased From: Dubini, CH

Kind of a darker mix overall, and nicely ribboned for easy packing. One of the things I enjoy about Dunhill oriental blends is their tin aroma. This was like EMP in that the orientals are some of the juiciest, most pungent around and emit a kind of sour but tantalizing aroma. Unlike EMP, this delivered more in the taste department. This blend wasn't around when I first started smoking. Apparently, Murrays hadn't picked it up or The Aperatif, either. In their places were Gold Blend and Golden Hours, two pseudo-aromatic affronts to a pipesmokers sensibilities. Glad those are gone and these are back!

Probably a mid-point blend between EMP and Nightcap. The orientals were front and center with the Virginia and latakia to the rear. Sounds like a recipe for success to my tastebuds, and it mostly was. The orientals had a nice incense quality but were more robust than wispy and aromatic. The Virginias were sweet but not so sweet as to upset the balance, and the latakia lent its usual smokiness and color. All good so far. Except there was a strange bitter quality that came along somewhere around mid-bowl. Now, bitter isn't always a bad thing - some of my favorite Balkans have bitter and even sour notes. But in this one, I found it just a bit offputting. Not sure what caused it but it appeared consistently throughout the tin. Still, I find this a better blend than EMP, which is too wimpy and Nightcap which is too inelegant. But as with most Dunhill blends not named 965 these days, they fall short of the best available in their respective genres. Worth a try for anyone interested in oriental-forward blends, but definitely not destined for another spin in my bowl.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (51)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the tin, I was greeted with a clear cocoa (roasted) and woody aroma with some light floral notes.tobacco review of dunhill durbar

Lighting the bowl presented with a nice clean tobacco flavour on the tongue – well balanced. The flowery notes was present with woody notes from the Latakia. A really nice tobacco for an all-day smoke.

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (68)

Because I never have the older version of Durbar, I don't know what to expect before popping up a tin. Orient forward English blend; not as full and tasteful as Standard Blend. Worth trying, good smoke.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (158)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I was pretty curious to taste this new incarnation of the Durbar, just come at the italian tobacconists at very premium price. Although I’ve never smoked the “old” one.

Nice tin aroma, Oriental forward I would say.

It comes in a ribbon cut on the slender side of the scale, in all similar to the other Dunhill’s blends. Easy lighting and burning maintenance without turning hot. No bite whatsoever.

The smoke is cool and solid. Oriental tobaccos are the main player, well back-boned by non-sweet Virginias and spiced up by the Latakia in perfect measure. Medium in strenght, full in body.

All in all a nice Balkan blend, which is only missing to hit me completely since it delivers a sort of “monolithic” experience from the beginning to the end. Seems to me it’s more similar to a Tashkent than a Skiff, which are the blends I would compare.

All the Best !

Pipe Used: Ashtons and Ferndown

Similar Blends: Tashkent, Skiff.

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (10)

Don't like this one at all. The tin smells like green olives....... And it takes like them too. Nothing else here. Just a hot sour ashy smoke. If I want olives then I would just eat them and not smoke them.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Not really close to the original. More ribbon than broad cut now and a lot more Virginia and less Oriental and Latakia. And, of course, the leaf employed just isn't the same. Not a bad smoke, but again, not even close to the original which was an all time great, in my opinion.

Pipestud

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (61)

To me, Durbar as part of the Vintage Blends series is Dunhill's Balkan mixture, if nothing else because the blend is dominated by its content of almost black Latakia and dark brown Oriental leaf. The lighter Virginias are dispersed evenly among those.

The Latakia is also what you notice first, when you open the tin and take in the spicy scent, before you notice the smell of incense from the Orientals.

Filling your pipe is quite uncomplicated, just as lighting. You can even pack this tobacco a little more tightly in order to get a steady burning. From time to time you need to tamp and level out the ashes.

Durbar will give you a tart and tangy smoke dominated by the smooth Oriental leafs and the peaty Latakia, and topped off by the sweet Virginias. This is a full bodied, creamy, balanced smoke mellowed by a distinguished floral incense note. A re-light is seldom required. As long as you don't draw too eagerly on your pipe, it'll burn down coolly to some light gray ash.

The room note is rich and spicy, yet tolerable.

Pipe Used: Rattray's 110th Anniversary

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I bought it after a smal taste from a friend of mine. And I was very impressed, it's an heavy smoky latakia english, and it really kick your nicotine level up. It's a little bit too strong for my taste but very pleasant.