A high portion of mature dark as well as yellow Virginias combined with Latakia and Oriental leaf. Wonderful balance, mild in flavour with floral and subtly smoky notes. (Translated from the German, as it has just been introduced in Germany, imported by Kohlhase, Kopp & Co.)

Notes: This is a new remake of the reputable Durbar which was last produced by Murray & Sons for Dunhill. It varies both in cut and content from the original.

BrandDunhill
2.0
O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has just been distributed in Germany, so I suppose it will be available in other countries soon. Was very excited to find this on the shelves again. Unfortunately, it is quite a disappointment. The 'old' Durbar was a distinctive broad cut blend with wonderful qualities. This is a mixed cut with finer ribbons that does not hold up in comparison. I guess it is hardly possible to produce enough tins for today's larger market with the high standard of leaf that was used 'back in the day.' When I have gotten over my initial disappointment I will try to post a review of it on its own merits. For now, smoke it if you've got it, but, if you remember Durbar of old, don't get your hopes up too high.

Pipe Used: Several, reserved for Latakia/Orientals/Va's

Age When Smoked: one month (just on the market)

Plihopliheri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plihopliheri (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Let me start by saying: I did not know the "real" Durbar, so I cannot compare to memories of yesteryear. Saw Durbar on the shelf and bought it, tried it the same afternoon fresh out of the newly opened tin. While it did not blow me away, it was certainly not really bad, either. The Latakia could be more noticeable, the Virginias dominated too much for my taste. Yet, midway through the bowl the balance seemed to shift towards my preferences. Still I do not think I will add this to the tobaccos I store regularly, but if you crave light English tobaccos with just a tiny note of Latakia, you should definitely give this new release a chance.

Pipe Used: Brebbia