Sophisticated, but what does that mean?! This smoke is pleasantly sweet and mild with just the right mix of Cavendish and Sweet Virginia Tobaccos. Ah, People will think you are some sort of afficionado that is what Sophisticated means...

Notes: Initially released under the name Gilded Age Reserve

Taste
Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (18)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I sampled a bit of this blend recently. In the tin, it resembles the 100g tins of OGS: long flakes folded up. The similarity to OGS continued with its appearance, its moisture, and how it loads. Its similar. Even the flavor is similar, but it has a bit more going on. OGS has a more mild flavor compared to Gatsby Luxury Flake. It's much more bold in flavor: shades of fruity, and plenty of roundness. Its character almost reminded me of a Sirrah wine: its flavor is symphonic. There is a lot going on, but it all works in concert. It also reminded me a bit of Dunhill Flake, but again, is a bit more bold. Pretty good on its own (though, with a bit of perique, this blend would be amazing). The only thing I dislike is the name. "Old Sport Flake" would be much more fitting...

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (27)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

Of all the Drew Estate blends, this is the only one that caught my interest. I smoke predominantly Virginia or Virginia based blends, so I thought I'd give this one a try. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised. I heard that most of their blends are rather lackluster so I wasn't expecting much. What I got- a GREAT Danish Virginia flake that I will definitely smoke again. It has a very satisfying creamy sweetness that has surprising depth. If you're a fan of Virginia tobaccos, I highly recommend you give this a try.

==EDIT==

Perhaps I was a little too excited upon first trying this to hold off reviewing until after I had smoked it more. I loved my first bowl, but have yet to replicated the "wow" factor I experienced upon first smoking it.

Downgrade to 3 stars. Still worth exploring but not extraordinary.

Pipe Used: Aldo Velani Filtro

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake CIty, UT

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, PS Luxury Navy Flake.

Ring88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ring88 (10)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was fast on my first 1/3 of the bowl.. I thought it was rough and had a acid scent in the smoke.. after that it came in to its own and i really started to enjoy it, I got a touch of black tea on the taste at the end. I got two tins ill store one for a while and see how some age effects the taste in a year or so.. not a fav yet but it will do

Pipe Used: E.A. Carey billiard

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Long, folded flakes ~ to Reiner's GF in appearance with mostly yellow and some darker brown sections. Even though the tin was vacuum sealed when received, the tobacco was much drier than my preference. Smoked cool and without bite or condensation. I found the taste relatively flat but that may be due to the absence of any Perique. A typical Cavendish taste that I won't try again.

Pipe Used: jobey; comoy

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: pipesand cigars.com

Similar Blends: orlick golden sliced; old Amphora green.

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (19)

10-Pleasure, satisfaction; 10-Top note, slip stream aroma, sipping the embers; 10-Delivery, balance, flavor profile; 10-Blend composition, quality; 9-Pack, relight, room note. A quality blend that delivers a consistent, honest smoke - roasty in nature. Solid 4 star.

Pipe Used: Tsuge, Cob, Hilson