Sophisticated, but what does that mean?! This smoke is pleasantly sweet and mild with just the right mix of Cavendish and Sweet Virginia Tobaccos. Ah, People will think you are some sort of afficionado that is what Sophisticated means...

Notes: Initially released under the name Gilded Age Reserve

Mild, Medium

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I sampled a bit of this blend recently. In the tin, it resembles the 100g tins of OGS: long flakes folded up. The similarity to OGS continued with its appearance, its moisture, and how it loads. Its similar. Even the flavor is similar, but it has a bit more going on. OGS has a more mild flavor compared to Gatsby Luxury Flake. It's much more bold in flavor: shades of fruity, and plenty of roundness. Its character almost reminded me of a Sirrah wine: its flavor is symphonic. There is a lot going on, but it all works in concert. It also reminded me a bit of Dunhill Flake, but again, is a bit more bold. Pretty good on its own (though, with a bit of perique, this blend would be amazing). The only thing I dislike is the name. "Old Sport Flake" would be much more fitting...

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (32)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I recently did a Virginia/Cavendish exploration including such blends as this, 1931 flake, MB navy flake and a couple others I can't recall ATM. I found most of them I really didn't enjoy too much. They didn't have the punch I was looking for in Nicotine and the sweetness tasted fake, like log cabin syrup vs real maple syrup or artificial sweeteners. This blend is the only one I really enjoyed. This must have Golden Cavendish as the flakes are uniformly light in color. As mentioned it comes in one long roll that I unrolled and cut into manageable flakes to jar.

This blend must be smoked at an appropriate pace as it can get hot/bitey. When smoked correctly, be ready for one of the sweetest smokes you will have. Nice virginia flavor complements the natural tasting sweetness, and the virginia provides a nice nicotine punch I like. A friend of mine who also enjoys this blend says that the cavendish is "like cheating" when comparing the sweetness of this to other straight Virginia blends.

Just purchased 4 tins for cellaring so in my book, this is a great tobacco for those who like a sweet tobacco and can smoke at the right pace.

Purchased From: local B&M

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The flake inside the tin is one long, continuous flake that is folded to fit, and very easily breaks apart. A Virginia and cavendish blend that offers lots of citrus and a couple other fruit flavors along with some grassiness, and a hint of earth and spice. I also get a little honey. Sometimes it's like smoking honey fruit graham crackers. Reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced in some ways, but this is just a little stronger, fruitier, and has an earth note that OGS lacks. Not much nicotine here. The moisture level of the tobacco is perfect out of the tin, requiring no dry time. Burns at a moderate rate with a consistent creamy smooth taste with no weak, harsh or dull spots. Leaves no moisture in the bowl, and can be smoked to ashes. Has a very pleasant room note and after taste. A very comfortable all day uncomplicated smoke that wears well during your smoking day. Three and a half stars.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (54)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a very unique blend, in my opinion. The long roll was rather easy to break up into manageable slices easy to rub out. The tin note was sweet and semi-candy like mixed with a touch of that natural Virginia leaf smell. What struck me was the instant flavor after the initial tamp and re-light. Every bowl has this same consistent impact of sweet flavor. Unlike the tin note, the sweet flavor seems fruit like, this works in tandem with the Virginias very well. I think the addition of the cavendish simply intensifies the Virginias. I did not necessarily find it to burn altogether harsh or hot, however; it burned for a good long while. I broke in a new pipe with this blend and it was the right tabac for the job. All in all, I recommend this tobacco.

*Edit: I have since set fire to the rest of the tabac and I am longing for more. When that happens, I must note that this is a tobacco worth keeping around. I gave it three starts initially, I am now adding the last star. I think the unique nature, in terms of my palate, is the draw. Amongst my love of VA/Pers and VA/Burs and Straight VA, this stands alone as completely different. Unlike Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake or Davidoff's Medallions and many other VA/Cavendish blends, the marriage between the cavendish and Virginias in Gatsby is of a completely different nature. Granted, even though the aforementioned blends contain a touch of perique, I think that all of these blends are designed similarly, and should be bracketed accordingly. However, despite similar properties to other tabacs, it stands alone. Four stars!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Natural, MM Legend

Age When Smoked: 1 Day

Purchased From: David's Gifts and Tobaccos

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (40)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

Of all the Drew Estate blends, this is the only one that caught my interest. I smoke predominantly Virginia or Virginia based blends, so I thought I'd give this one a try. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised. I heard that most of their blends are rather lackluster so I wasn't expecting much. What I got- a GREAT Danish Virginia flake that I will definitely smoke again. It has a very satisfying creamy sweetness that has surprising depth. If you're a fan of Virginia tobaccos, I highly recommend you give this a try.

Perhaps I was a little too excited upon first trying this to hold off reviewing until after I had smoked it more. I loved my first bowl, but have yet to replicated the "wow" factor I experienced upon first smoking it.

Downgrade to 3 stars. Still worth exploring but not extraordinary.

Pipe Used: Aldo Velani Filtro

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake CIty, UT

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, PS Luxury Navy Flake.

Ring88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ring88 (10)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was fast on my first 1/3 of the bowl.. I thought it was rough and had a acid scent in the smoke.. after that it came in to its own and i really started to enjoy it, I got a touch of black tea on the taste at the end. I got two tins ill store one for a while and see how some age effects the taste in a year or so.. not a fav yet but it will do

Pipe Used: E.A. Carey billiard

Purchased From:

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (104)

Drew estates can always be counted on to give a daily smoke tobacco. This upon opening held a very light smell. Rolling into a pipe was easy. First light came rather slow and sputtered to death. Took three matches to light. Tamp down and smoked. Again it produced a very light smoke with bland taste. Nothing jumps out here at all. Reminded me of eating apple. A lot of work but not much flavor. Became slightly sweeter half way down but quickly died a death of 1000 knives. I will jar the tin but it was a bust for flavor or enjoyment. Just bland tobacco.

Pipe Used: Comoy

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Purchased From: JR'S Cigar Outlet

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (100)

I always look forward to smoking flakes, I love'em. They are simply my favorite type of pipe baccy. For some reason I was expecting something different with this one, but, lo! what I got instead was a flake that I've already smoked before.

This is not a bad thing. I'll explain. When I opened this baby up, I thought, hey, this is Solani Silver Flake. Looked much the same, smelled much the same, and it smoked much the same. In fact, I felt Gatsby was so close to SSF that I pulled out my tin of Solani and fired up a bowl along with the Gatsby. I was hard pressed to tell the difference. Now, why isn't this a bad thing? SSF cost twice as much (or more) than Gatsby. For someone on a budget, you can pretty much get the same blend for half the cost. That's why this flake is of interest.

I really like SSF, and, honestly, Gatsby's right there with that one, so, I heartily recommend Gatsby Flake, especially for someone who's on a budget. I'll give this one a strong 3 three stars (3.75).

Good Flake!

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: Nording freehand

Similar Blends: Solani SIlver Flake.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (32)

I would call this "just okay", nothing exceptional by any stretch. It is a very light colored "bright" virginia with just traces of dark ( the cavendish? ). It also starts better than it finishes, my bowls are usually interrupted requiring Relights which brought out an ashieness for a couple of puffs. Will likely finish the tin but not buy again.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Peterson, Ascorti

Purchased From: Edwards Lakeland Fl

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Long, folded flakes ~ to Reiner's GF in appearance with mostly yellow and some darker brown sections. Even though the tin was vacuum sealed when received, the tobacco was much drier than my preference. Smoked cool and without bite or condensation. I found the taste relatively flat but that may be due to the absence of any Perique. A typical Cavendish taste that I won't try again.

Pipe Used: jobey; comoy

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: pipesand

Similar Blends: orlick golden sliced; old Amphora green.

Clinthulhu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clinthulhu (7)

I really had no preconceived notions when I purchased this tin. I wasn't expecting anything other than a quality smoke and by itself I think that Gatsby is just that, a quality tobacco blend. It has a sweet fruity flavor that is present but not overpowering or fake tasting. I made the mistake of smoking my first bowl in a pipe I normally reserve for aromatic blends and the subtle flavor of the tobacco was lost by the ghosts of tobaccos past. My second (and subsequent) bowls after that however were in a fresh restored estate pipe and to my surprise and delight the more subtle flavors came out to play almost immediately. I don't know if I would considered GLF an "all day smoke" for myself but I could see how some might enjoy it on a more regular basis. Personally I view it as an excellent dessert smoke. Some tobaccos are more enjoyable when paired with a drink... GLF in my opinion is one that is best enjoyed when paired with a port wine. I found Sandeman Fine Ruby Port to be the most tasty and it complimented the fruit flavor while maintaining the creamy texture of the tobacco itself.

The only reason I gave this 3 stars instead of 4 is because (for me) it is more of a once in awhile smoke as opposed to something I could smoke all day every day and never get tired of it. I reserve Gatsby Luxury Flake as a treat rather than a constant companion.

Pipe Used: Estate Briar

Age When Smoked: 1-6 months

Purchased From: The Havana House West, Bath Ohio

Coffeewaterbeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coffeewaterbeer (4)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First review here. On cracking couple month old tin (DE should put date stickers on the tins) the aroma was fig and something I couldn't quite put my finger on, something near a fruit juice but not forward and obvious. Aesthetically, the flakes were a gorgeous 8-9 inch long golden hued baccy. Not overly moist but enough to be very pliable without breaking the flake. On lighting, I got the VA grassiness and thick honey like sweetness. This is not an aromatic, but the honey was hard to ignore. Not an entirely bad thing. I sipped it relatively slow but did get more bite than I'm accustomed to. This could be the moisture being more present than most of my jarred stock . I may be returning to add to this as the tin nears it's end. Not at all bad but there are many others I would be eager to cellar.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320ks

Age When Smoked: couple months?

Purchased From: gifted

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (22)

10-Pleasure, satisfaction; 10-Top note, slip stream aroma, sipping the embers; 10-Delivery, balance, flavor profile; 10-Blend composition, quality; 9-Pack, relight, room note. A quality blend that delivers a consistent, honest smoke - roasty in nature. Solid 4 star.

Pipe Used: Tsuge, Cob, Hilson