From the word go you are greeted with a very rich and pungent smoking experience, packed full of the oaky smoky flavours you would expect from that much latakia. The virignias are not in the forefront of this blend at all, they carry the more savory along beautifully and creates a sweet current which all the other flavours float. Thanks to the quantity of Latakia and the Izmir, the blend has a spicy nature which grows throughout the smoke, ending in a very peppery finish.

Notes: Erin from the Okanagan Pipe club contacted us and asked if we could make couple of “Club Blends” for them. A Balkan and an Aromatic was the brief and over several weeks we experimented with various ideas. The first blend we focused on was the Balkan (#1), the brief was reasonably simple, a Latakia heavy Balkan blend with an oaky/woody side to it, some spice and underlying sweetness.

Usually we use a single Latakia across all of our tobacco’s, it carries a wonderful char grilled flavour to it, whereas this needed to be a little more Oaky. So after various alternative Latakias, we found a combination of the two which worked perfectly. Normally we would call the Virginia component of this style blend the base, but with over 50% Latakia it just didn’t sound right. The same delightful steamed Virginia we use in the Askwith Kake, this blended with a divine sweet and citrusy flue cured Virginia. To give this tobacco its other oriental content (ALL UK blenders class Latakia as an oriental, well it is really) a wonderful spicy and woody Izmir is added.

Getting the balance took a fair amount of tweaking and juggling to hit the nail on the head, but we got there.

If you like your Latakias punchy and pungent then this has to be one for you, it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but Glynn certainly had fun making it.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Blend TypeBalkan
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
Full

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It’s called Balkan Full, but that seems to be more of an indicator of flavor than strength, as it’s more of a medium to full smoke for my personal taste. The smokey, woodsy latakias also have a little sweetness I associate with the Cyprian variety. The Virginias are grassy and citrus, very slightly fruity, the latter probably caused by the steaming process. The Turkish Izmir is spicy and woodsy. While smoking it, you’d never guess that this blend is half latakia because it’s not a lat-bomb, nor does it have any sharpness. Has a nice nic-hit. Smooth and very creamy with a consistent flavor, no harsh or dull spots, and barely any moisture at the finish, you could smoke this more than once a day even if it isn’t an all day smoke.

brian stephen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brian stephen (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Smokey, spicy and full, Glynn has added another masterpiece to his already excellent repertoire. Supposedly 50% Latakia (two types, if I read it correctly), the Latakia leads the charge but doesn't drown out the other players. The description states there's Steamed Virginia along with a sweet flue cured Virginia with Turkish Izmir to balance the blend out perfectly. And balanced perfectly it is, albeit full of body, plenty of Nicotene and downright good for those who crave this type of mixture. Some may say it doesn't change much as the bowl progresses, but I find with a slow rhythmic puff OPC Balkan reveals layers of complexity. Pepper, oak and wood smoke with a slightly sweet thing popping in and out at times, there's nothing not to like here. Very well done.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I find myself on a quest for my perfect Balkan or Oriental blend. This comes pretty close to my perfect tobacco. Smokey,spicy,not harsh at all,smooth and creamy.A little sweetness in the background. I could smoke this all day,and not much else. A superb blend. Any Balkan fan,has to try this.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Calabash

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (11)

What can I say? This is another GlynnQ masterpiece. I prefer it to Balkan Sobranie, whether that is merely memory failing me or tastes changing I couldn't nor wouldn't know and I don't care, this is excellent. Obviously taste is subjective, however this blend 'fills my pipe'

Pipe Used: various