Snow Drift is a smooth, rich aromatic, with a distinctive chocolate note supported by a bit of vanilla that will remind you of a cup of hot cocoa; the perfect beverage to enjoy while looking out the window at the falling snow.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat)
2.0
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The burley is nutty with a light molasses, and I notice it a little more than the grassy, citrus sweet Virginia. The black cavendish may have some vanilla, but it’s effect is negligible. The mild chocolate and the lighter applied vanilla topping have a distinct thinness to them, though no chemical notes. They mildly tone down the tobaccos. Has very little nicotine. Won’t bite or get harsh even for a fast puffer. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool, clean and very smooth with a consistent unfulfilling flavor that lacks depth in comparison to other blends in this genre. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. The after taste is exceptionally mild. Gets two stars only because it doesn’t bite or leave goop.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I was somewhat disappointed with this blend. It may have just been my batch, but this blend failed me as an aromatic and failed to bring forth the tobacco as well. A double whammy. I prefer a little of both and I can live with a blend if it's good on one front or the other. Thought it burned a little hot and never matured as it progressed through the bowl. I jarred it and will hold onto it for another six months and see what it has to offer. I generally like the Russ' blends, but this is my least favorite of the five I've tried.

Pipe Used: Rossi, Red Point, La Strada

Age When Smoked: 6 mos

Purchased From: P&C

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a couple ounces of this to try over the Christmas season. The first few bowls I thought I had made a mistake as it burned hotter than the sun and torched my tongue. After letting it dry down for a few days I had a much better smoke and really enjoyed it. It leaves a pleasant mocha/coffee room note and is great with a good stout beer while you hang Christmas lights. Pairs with: Stout beers, Christmas lights, Christmas tree lots, candy canes, elves

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: P&C

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (150)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This is a pretty disappointing aromatic. There is not much "there" there. Tin note has little to no real distinct aroma. Perhaps some chocolate but very light. Light up was fine and burn is good for a aromatic. Flavor and taste is just not there. Hints from time to time of sweetness but it's hard to identify the exact taste. This is really a pretty disappointing blend. Room note is so mild it is hard to identify as well. Frankly, for me there is really no reason to return to this blend again.

Pipe Used: Boswell

Age When Smoked: Somewhat fresh

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

Allow me to say first that if you like strong cocoa (I'm talking sticking your nose in a pouch of hot cocoa mix strong) with tobacco then you will like this blend. I found that I do not like that much cocoa, not a knock on Russ because his blends are amazing but snow drift was simply too strong of an aromatic for me. I was able to smell the cocoa through the box when it was delivered and upon opening it got even stronger. I filled my pipe and tried it out, I could not taste or smell tobacco at all, just chocolate with sweetness. As I said, if you like very strong aromatics this may be your holy grail but this blend was not for me.

Pipe Used: country gentleman cob

Age When Smoked: new from bulk

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Opening a fresh sample of Snow Drift revealed small ribbons of dark and light brown tobaccos dominated by the black of the Cavendish. It had a rich cocoa smell with a hint of marshmallow like a Mississippi Mud cake. It was moist to the touch, but not too moist and ready to burn. An unlit sip brought cocoa to the tongue as did the charring light. The charring light also brought forth an underlying note of the Cavendish. As I progressed down the bowl the cocoa taste became stronger with a lighter creamier taste playing backup. By the second half of the bowl there was a good interplay between the cocoa and Cavendish, and at times the two melded together to form a milk chocolate taste as the top note became weaker. There was no bite no matter how hard I puffed and the finish was short with an excellent mustache note. The room note was very pleasant, and left a toasted cocoa smell inside my vehicle when returning to it for lunch after smoking on the way to work.

I think this blend would be good for any aromatic lovers and for those who love chocolate aromatics in particular. I'd say anyone could smoke this blend as I tried to get it to burn hot and I never could accomplish that goal. I liked this blend but I don't think I need to smoke it again and I probably won't be buying more. It is a pretty standard chocolate aromatic, and while I've smoked some that really sings for me, this one was pretty unremarkable to my palate.