Russ' Blend of the Month for October 2013 Candy Corn is a sweet, but not too-sweet blend of Virginia and black Cavendish with a subtle vanilla note reminiscent of the autumn treat

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouelette
Manufactured Bypipesandcigars.com
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
2.4
JimInks (2026)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The black cavendish has some smoothly sweet vanilla. The burley is nutty with a little earth, though it’s impact is mostly sublimated by the toppings: vanilla, cocoa and caramel. I think there may be a splash of a dark cavendish here, too. I do get a sense of candy corn in the taste, but it doesn’t reach out and scream “this is candy corn” to me. Though the vanilla and cocoa play well with each other, the caramel often seemed to take a little more of the lead. The toppings lack depth, but it is a comfortable all day mild smoke. Burns at a moderate pace with no bite or goop as the flavors remain consistent to the finish. Has a nice room note, and after taste.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one sweet aromatic. Upon lighting and early on you'll draw some sweet essence. As it makes its way toward mid bowl this one really picks up the sweetness and is quite enjoyable. Where it loses me is toward the ending where it flattens out. Not much in the way of tobacco flavor pulling through, but if your looking for a sweet note, you'll definitely get it here. Overall an enjoyable smoke. Must say though, it left my mouth with a coating I couldn't wait to clear when I was done. A sweet, sweet aro if that's what you are looking for - I'll rate it for what it is. Couldn't knock this back over and over, but it's a good one to let sit and find once in awhile for a treat.

Pipe Used: bjarne, rossi, la strada

Age When Smoked: New and 6 mos.

Purchased From: P&C

wmf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmf (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

OK sweet tooth people- This aro is good one. Not overly sweet but I'll be darned if it doesn't taste like a tobacco you'd buy at the state fair (if possible). Caramel, popcorn, and some good dark ribbon cut virginia and black cav flavor. Really good tobacco. A fantastic and interesting smoke at task. For me, a bit cloying in one stationary smoking sesh unless in a small bowl for a short break. I blend this stuff 1 to 1 in a freezer bag with C&D's Billy Budd and press it between 2 oak boards clamped as tight as I can get em. Let em love on each other for a month and pop it open. Fantastic stuff. Solid 3 star aro and a 4 star blender.

Pipe Used: Small bowled various

Purchased From: P&C

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (294)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Getting down to the last of my one ounce aromatic samples from Pipes and Cigars I got to Candy Corn by Russ Oulette. This is quite the tasty blend! Reminiscent of 1-Q and Butternut Burley but in a league of its own, I see a ribbon cut of blacks and browns with the aroma of you guessed it Candy Corn. Taste is buttery and savory as well as sweet but not bland or boring like an all black cav can be, the flavor strengthens down the bowl. Candy Corn reminds me of a warm Cinnabun and has that comforting room note one would think something's baking and delighted anyone around me. Russ blends Larry's Blend and Candy Corn which shows he can do both ends of the pipe tobacco spectrum with ease and Candy Corn deserves to be smoked in October and November around Halloween and Thanksgiving to start and end the Autumn season right! 4 stars I reserve for my absolute favorites I smoke daily but Candy Corn is 3.5 * in my book, really nice Russ!

Pipe Used: Cobs, no name italian briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Bulk

Similar Blends: pipesandcigars.com - Scotty's Butternut Burley, Lane Limited - 1-Q, Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Christmas Cookie, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Mountain Pass (Sutliff Private Stock).

Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought 4 oz of this just for fun. It was very sweet, and it was a pleasant enough smoke that managed to hit the Candy Corn flavor nicely.

I smoked probably half the bag and gave the rest away. I can smoke it, but for my taste buds, I want more tobacco flavor.

A friend of mine mixed this half and half with G, H & Co.'s Dark Plug, and I was impressed. It was still sweet, but it gained some muscle. I found this a very nice (and unexpected) combo. I smoked about an ounce of the mix and enjoyed it.

if you want seriously sweet in a blend that is mild, this is probably a 3.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)

Note: This review is for Candy Cane and Coco not Candy Corn.

I guess my taste buds are confused after reading Mr. Inks review I got totally different flavors. And if you read all these reviews you will see many folks get all different flavors. First let me say the opening note was mostly a little coco. Not a lot else was there. Light up was easy and this stuff burns pretty fast so you need to very patient so you don't end up with a hot bowl burning off all flavor. This blend requires a lot of patience when smoking and that will be rewarded with strong hints of peppermint and coco with a bit of Carmel and vanilla. This is s pretty tasty blend just take it super SLOW. You will lose the taste quickly if your not careful but if you are this is a very pleasing smoke indeed. Room note is pretty bland and burns quickly to a white ash. Would I put this in my aromatic rotation? Perhaps but I need to smoke more to make that decision. I will say this is a well above average aromatic and if you can control the heat factor and smoke very slowly you will get some great taste from this blend.

NOTE: My review is for Candy Cane and Coco. Not Candy Corn. My mistake.

Pipe Used: Joh dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of bag

Similar Blends: A little bit like cool captain but different enough to be another aromatic in your rotation..

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I like this blend, mostly vanilla and honey flavors on mild tobacco's. I have to really be in the mood for a mild aromatic to each for this one, there is almost no tobacco taste and seems to have very low nicotine content. It is truly a sweet aromatic as all I taste or smell is the vanilla and honey with the richness of the Cavendish backing it all up. While it doesn't really remind me of candy corn it is a great autumn/Halloween smoke

Updated: this one is a warmer weather/early autumn smoke for me. As it got colder I discovered I liked this blend less and less, it became far too mild for the colder weather (I live in New England so my definition of cold is harsh frosty weather) I have jarred it up and cellared candy corn until next fall, I may have to blend in some burley to give it a bit more heft though, time will tell

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum, Mr. brog, various briars

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Lane BCA.