An unusual form of Flake tobacco, its deep chestnut color results from the extended aging of full flavored Old and Middle Belt leaf very lightly seasoned with Drama. A smooth, robust tobacco good anytime for those who prefer the darker Virginia flavor. Is is especially well suited for outdoor smoking.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company

3.4
NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a most remarkable blend. Other reviewers have noted the initial qualities most adequately. While I have smoked this in various degrees of maturity, the tin I am smoking for this review has 7 years age. Some sugar crystals are noticeable on the flakes, yet they are still slightly pliable. I was most surprised that this particular tin has smoked delightfully without any drying whatsoever. Not my usual experience.

I'm smoking it in a Savinelli - Bing's Favorite - which is long stemmed, long shanked - slight bent billiard with a medium bowl. The pipe has been dedicated to this blend. My personal observation; one must dedicate a pipe to this blend or similar blends to really enjoy it. To the best of my senses, there is no topping at all. This particular smoke is very nuanced and I reserve the time to sit and enjoy it without distraction. The subtle amount of Drama in the blend provides an occasional incense-like waft every so often through this very nutty-woodsy smoke.

This is a very satisfying tobacco with a nice nicotine level. Unlike so many other VAs, this never gets hum-drum. It always leaves me wanting more when I am finished with a bowl. There is no signal in flavor to detect the bottom of the bowl - it smokes wonderfully from char light to final ash. This is a smoke of choice before a meal - since it leaves the taste buds stimulated. It is NOT my choice just after a meal, for I feel it requires a fresh palate to enjoy the complexities of this fine blend, My pipe-packing method of choice is to lightly rub and then gently screw the wad into the pipe.

My tastes run the spectrum of unflavored blends including many VA/Oriental, Latakia-heavy Oriental blends and very lightly cased Cavendish cut VA blends. However this unflavored VA flake is in a class by itself and is a regular treat and deserves it's own pipe.

Cheers, VC

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)

Pouch Aroma: If this isn't a McClelland's 2000 series, I'll eat a meerschaum. It's got that lovely fermented, acidic smell (some folks describe it as 'smelling like ketchup') and it makes my mouth water. It seems to be a Virginia flake with little or no perique judging from the smell.

Appearance: Thick broken flakes made up of tobaccos that vary from yellow to dark brown. It looks like #2015 but is just a tad lighter, although my supply of #2015 is at least 3 years old and has sugar crystals on it, so it may just be the age difference.

Packing and Lighting: I rubbed this up just a little and put it into a Savinelli Punto Oro, shape 316 (1/8 bent, short flared dublin) which smokes great with flake tobaccos. The pre-lighting taste is a little more subtle than #2015 - sweet and musty, but not in a sugary way like sample 'A'. This is classic matured virginia sweetness...

The first puff tastes quite sweet and sharp, but again lacking in that signature perique 'bite' when blown out of my nose. Tasty and mellow, and each following puff gets more mellow and flavorful and is developing the usual McC's taste.

Exposition: I have gotten in the habit of letting flake tobacco go out and rest for 10 minutes or so after I get a good burn going. This seems to accent the fuller flavors and tone down some of the sweetness. The re-light is heavy and spicy, as expected, and the smoke feels cool on my tongue. The smoke itself is on the thin side, but is a lovely blue-grey. There is quite a bit of sharpness here; I'm assuming it's from the lighter virginias. Overall, a very savory smoke which I'm enjoying immensely.

The Story: Once I got going fully the sweetness is subdued to the point where it's a subtle counterpoint to the sharp woodsy taste of the heavier virginias. The room aroma is leathery and spicy, and I'm tasting something suspiciously oriental that I can't quite place. I don't think this is #2015; rather, it's something similar that I've never tried before. It's too light and brassy and is missing the tang I'm used to. It's a nice change though, and I'd definately keep some around if I'm right. If I'm wrong and it IS what I think it is, I can see exactly what aging has done to my favorite tobacco.

Denoument: Here at the end of the bowl, re-lights have come a /little/ more frequently, but I have a tendency to let it go out, so most of the time it's my fault. These last few puffs are quite heavy and creamy-tasting, while the sweetness is coming back out for a peek. A nice finish to a pleasant bowl of tobacco...

Pros: This is rich, creamy-tasting, and yet has a pleasant sharpness under it. The sweetness of the virginias never quite goes away, but the character changes in unpredictable ways throughout the bowl. It was a fun smoke, and very relaxing. There is a spicy-sweet aroma left in the room and a definate 'tobacco' taste lingers on my tongue. This would be a great reading tobacco, or one to smoke unrubbed in a large pipe while taking a walk.

Cons: Some folks may find this to be a biting tobacco, as it must be puffed very patiently to allow the flavors to outweigh the sharpness. The flavor also intensifies quite a lot toward the bottom which may put some folks off if they're used to a milder smoke.

*note: I smoked this later also - but in my straight Hardcastle bulldog. This pipe is also very kind to VA flakes, and in this case it brought to the fore a nice Oriental aroma that calls to mind McClelland's #2025 with its sweet, earthy Turkish undertone. Good stuff, whatever you smoke it in!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

For my money the best tobacco McClelland makes. Sweet and savory Va with enough Drama added to provide a whisper of spice. Super Va and stands up against the best. Great with some age too

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Tin aroma reminds me of playing in the hay loft of the old barn on a humid, rainy Autumn day. Beautifully matured Virginia. Just a whiff of the sweetish-tangy, sea air saltiness and fresh citrus nature of the Drama. Sweet and sour - curing hay and grain - fermenting grain, heady and earthy and intoxicating. Lighter notes of malt syrup, molasses, cocoa, sun-dried tomatoes, pepper, white wine (riesing).

Light it up, and dive into the deep, sweet ripe Virginia. Warm cookie dough, rum cake with raisins, hay, coffee, black pepper. The Drama Orientals add a fresh, spicy, salty, citrus tang that blends nicely into the delicious Virginia background.

Delicious, light Virginia flake. Magnificent flavor, but has a tendency to bite. Even with careful puffing, in five different pipes. The fact is sometimes Virginias bite, there no getting around it. A great blend, the only minus is having to be so diligent with your puffing to keep your tongue safe.

Not on my favorites list, but very, very good. I'll try this one again, but as long as McClelland still makes Blackwoods Flake, I'll probably grab that first. Although I do like the Drama - Virginia combination. Gonna give it 3 ½ Stars.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is by far my favorite of the McClelland brown label virginias, and I think the inclusion of the Drama leaf is the reason. It imparts a beautiful spiciness faintly reminiscent of perique to the blend and elevates this to 4 star status. Not my favorite blend but it will be part of my regular rotation... a regular but occasional smoke.

As mentioned, this is wet out of the tin and needs some drying time to perform at its best. I recently smoked a 19 year old tin of this but most of my review is based on a 1 year old tin. With regards to the aged version, it's absolutely wonderful - the best tobacco I have ever smoked. The one year old is also very good but it makes me want to cellar a tin or two for a couple of decades, which I have decided to do.

As is, this is still a great smoke.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (22)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

McClelland #24 is my current favorite in Virginias. I have two pipes that have had nothing but #24. One of the pipes is an average sized group 4 and the other is a much larger, heavy walled system pipe. Both pipes do a good job with #24 although I do prefer the larger for the longer smoke. Opening the tin you will find a gorgeous leaf, chestnut brown as noted, there will be about one inch flakes and some that are falling apart. Older tins will generally have some sugar crystals. You can find some light, almost white, strands mixed in the flake, which I?m guessing, is the Drama. Is this technically an Oriental blend? I find the tin aroma to be a little vegetal, citrus, and sweet. I keep two tins going one with the larger pieces and one with near dust for the top of the bowl for easy lighting. In the larger pipe I stuff in #24 in whole flake and then top off with the fine-rubbed. In the smaller pipe I rub out the flake and top off with the fine stuff. This tobacco comes moist and needs aired out. I dry it to near crunchy.

If I get any bite from this tobacco it is when I am lighting up or if the tobacco is too moist. With the fine tobacco on the top of the bowl this is an easy lightup. The taste, well it is sweet and woody to me, with an occasional tart note, I get more taste sensation from #24 than any other tobacco I smoke. Frequently I let this go out during a smoke; the smell of the burned tobacco is of a rich charred wood, like a campfire that?s gone out, the room note is pleasant. The last quarter of the smoke is excellent. For a Virginia, surprisingly, this makes a little more smoke than most. As with any pipe tobacco, slow smoking produces the best character of the tobacco. The nicotine hit to me stays steady throughout the smoke and does not become too powerful at the end. This burns down to a powdery gray ash.

If you enjoy Virginias, I recommend a try of #24. I would recommend this for a first try Virginia. For a first timer with flakes, this would be an easy one to cope with.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)

McClelland?s Virginia No.24 is a full Virginia flake pipe tobacco spiced sparingly with Drama leaf.

The tin aroma is sharp in a fermented/acidic acid manner. This aroma remains with the tobacco as it diminishes little over time. Virginia No.24 is composed of aged Virginias and a slight amount of Drama, a Macedonian condimental tobacco leaf. The color of Virginia No.24 is of varying shades of chestnut brown with occasional stripes of yellow/orange running through the flakes. The appearance of the flakes is very much like that of tree bark. Sugar crystals were present in healthy amounts, adding a sparkle to the flakes.

The cut of Virgina No.24 is a thick, stout, square flake cut measuring about 1? x 1.25?. The flakes themselves are a bit stubborn to rub out, especially to a finer constancy. The blend also resists packing somewhat. Virginia No.24 burns best when some of the initial moisture is removed. The optimum moisture level seems to be when the flakes become slightly brittle.

Virginia No.24 lights superbly after proper tamping and has the wonderful tendency to burn clean to the walls of the pipe bowl. Although being a thick flake, Virgina No.24 can be smoked to the bottom of the bowl while requiring only one or two lights to do so. The room note is light and somewhat nondescript. The blend has a pleasant, tangy nose off of the bowl.

The flavor of Virginia No.24 is initially tangy and slightly sweet with a decent amount of sharp spiciness that is no doubt due to the added Drama leaf. Midway through the burn, the flakes? take on a pleasant creamy dimension while the initial spiciness subsides somewhat. The overall flavor becomes more balanced as the burn proceeds. The bite can be substantial if this blend is smoked rapidly. Full, steady draws are required to avoid the bite. The bite of Virginia No.24 tends to diminish as the smoke progresses. The smoke given off by the burning of this blend is medium/full and seems to take on a blue/gray tint.

McClelland?s Virginia No.24 is a fantastic Virginia flake variation that only becomes a better smoke with age.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (52)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm primarily a straight Va and VaPer smoker and I finally got my hands on a four year aged tin of this stuff. Popped the lid and saw an army flat rich brown flakes staring back at me. The moisture looked just right but I rubbed a flake out and let it dry while I prepared a cup of hot tea. I then loaded them into my best briar.. A handmade Straight grain Luciano Dublin bowl.

Oh my. This is REALLY GOOD. You don't get waves of sweet VA here and there, its a constant VA sweetness throughout and really tasty like only McClelland Va's can do. You can tell the dark VA has some age on it and its pressed to perfection. I hope this one doesn't spoil me regarding my other VA's. This tasted alot like Blackwoods Flake. If you enjoy VA's and haven't tried No.24 I highly recommend it! A tail wagger for sure. Smoke it up!

Pipe Used: Luciano Dublin Straight Grain

Age When Smoked: Tin from 12-10

Purchased From: Ebay.

Similar Blends: Blackwoods Flake.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The light vinegar smell that McClelland is well known for is only slightly present when you smell the tobacco, and almost non-existent during the smoke. The Virginias have a basic natural sweetness, and slight earthy note with a little tanginess from the red Virginia. The spice hit from the Orientals and Turkish is lightly present, but adds a welcome flavor push. The flakes are broken and a little thick, so make sure you've given it some drying time. You may want to consider breaking the flake pieces a little smaller than they are. Do all of that, and you'll be rewarded with a slow, cool burning experience. One of the richest tasting medium strength blends there is.

This is good, but I feel it needs a year or two in the cellar . I also detect a slight flavoring, almost a "Lakeland floral", that I'm not a fan of. All that said , I can't rate this a full 3 stars.

Updated 2/12/14- Well I gave this another try, and I really don't find the Lakeland Floral scent anymore. The tin now has about 6 months of cellar time . What I did notice is a bad bite. I usually love McC Virginias and for that matter Drama, but these two together, make a real tongue scorcher. I also found this a hard tobacco to keep lit, I guess that why the description says it's a good outdoor tobacco, I guess for like riding a motorcycle . Back to the cellar with this one.

Pipe Used: cob

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Despite the obvious quality of the product it did not agree with me. The addition of some OR leaf made things interesting so I was looking forward to try No 24. Unfortunately, the taste was too bland for me and it quickly bite my tongue. It would probably do weel in a blending of some sort with some LA.

Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Moist broken flakes which are predominantly bleached brown in color streaked with chestnut, chocolate, and light grey to nearly cream-colored veins along with a light dusting of sugar crystals. The visual effect is that of a dull late-winter landscape, something accentuated by the overall grayness of the sugar bloom and the jagged brokenness of the flakes themselves: a tired, abandoned field at the edge of a ratty forest on an overcast, snowless February afternoon. It is presumed that the grayish-white streaks are the Drama.

The tin nose is sharp, with a predominant note of fresh cut grapefruit and just a touch of musty earth. The expected acetic acid aroma is entirely absent, perhaps obscured by the heady citrus smell. Thick and moist, the broken flakes of cut cake rub out with considerable ease as well as having enough pliability to accommodate various fold-and-stuff methods, depending on individual circumstance or preference. Like all such preparations, lighting and maintaining a proper ember requires patience and attention. Topping the bowl with a pinch of finely rubbed crumbs is recommended.

On the thin side of medium bodied, this oriental-seasoned matured Virginia flake is sweet and piquant with notes of citrus, new wood, and light roast coffee. Marked by a peculiar, occasionally smoky spice which can tend towards sourness, it has a refreshing finish which is short and crisp. The grapefruit aroma present in the tin carries forth in the bowl, adding a brightness which is accentuated by the signature natural zest of the McClelland aged Virginias. While this reviewer found bite to be rarely, if ever, an issue, No. 24 can become a bit taxing on the tongue if puffed too aggressively. As a Virginia-Oriental blend, it components are clearly distinct yet sometimes a bit off balance.

The example under review here, coming in the ever fetching McClelland 100g. tumbler, was tinned in 2000 and opened in 2009. An intriguing blend, Matured Virginia No. 24 bears many of the hallmark characteristics of McClelland's unique aged Virginia cut cakes. Among them, however, this particular offering seems the least zesty and rich, although like its brethren there is little reason to believe that it will not fare well with extended cellaring.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I ve been having great luck with McClelland lately. The can says robust, I would say a nice Virginia with greater flavors. A good buy.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Virginia 24 is currently one of my two staple flakes. Unfortunately for me, the 100-gram tin I am smoking dates to 2000, so I don't think I will be able to repeat this smoking experience anytime soon. My well-aged sample is remarkably smooth and creamy with a light sweetness and the wonderful smokiness of the Drama coming and going. I have smoked this blend in small briars (with bore sizes of 3/4" or smaller), larger briars (with bore sizes of up to 7/8"), meerschaums of several sizes, and a clay. The blend smokes well in every pipe I've tried, but goes best for me in a smaller-bored briar. For some reason, it smokes insanely well in a bent Stanwell I picked up for about $20. So well, in fact, that if I could get more of this tobacco aged this long, I'd dedicate the Stanwell to this one blend.

Anyway, I agree with RCUSElder and others--if you can find this tobacco with some age on it, pick it up. I know I will be adding some to my cellar so that a few years from now I can smoke some more of this stuff.

I have no experience with unaged Virginia 24. But I will be trying some soon.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The odor from this can is a bit different than that of No. 22; I would define it as being from a RED vinegar. (See my comments on VA No. 22 as to this odor in general.) It comes in medium-sized, reddish flakes with veins of lighter color running through them. Somewhat on the moist side, they rub out easily into strands that pack well. This tobacco burns similarly to VA No. 22 - lights easily when rubbed out, but needs an above average number of relights. As with No. 22, I generally smoke this in my large Savinelli estate billiard; going back to a partially finished bowl later on doesn't seem to hurt the flavor. While SLIGHTLY less tongue-biting than No. 22, this blend still required a very slow and careful smoker, with some time on his or her hands. The first third of the bowl is sweet, but slightly richer and more complex than VA No. 22. Getting into the second third, the taste becomes even richer, but with a bit less sweetness. Again, as with No. 22, the most flavorful part of the bowl is in the last third. The tendency to bite and smoke wet at the bottom is still there; I would recommend drying the tin for a couple weeks or so. Overall, I enjoy this more than VA No. 22: it has a bit less bite and a slightly richer, more mature flavor. The only Virginia I'd reach for before this would be McClelland's Dark Star.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (30)

McClelland No. 24 in the Matured Virginias series is a fine tasting tobacco which must be smoked carefully to avoid tongue bite.

Touted as suitable for outdoor smoking, No. 24 is in small Dentyne gum sized flakes. The acetic aroma characteristic of McClellands is present, although not as strong as in some of their offerings. The flakes are far too moist on opening the can. Break the seal and wait three days.

The Virginia have been aged to a deep chestnut color. The manufacturer says it is "lightly seasoned" with Drama, a varietal oriental, presumably the orange streaks in the small flakes. I find the oriental a bit stronger than "lightly seasoned" would suggest. I often describe oriental as herbal in taste, but the Drama has an affinity with olive oil.

The small flakes cram easily into the pipe, but loaded this way No. 24 is hard to light. Even rubbed out, this is not an easy tobacco to light, but hold in mind it is described as ideal for outdoor smoking. A fine cut burns hot outdoors on a windy day.

The Virginia flavor is fairly full and not particular sweet for this variety of tobacco. Overall, I find the flavor of this Virginia plus Drama to be quite likable. The room note is nondescript, but not offensive. The nicotine level is medium.

I would rate No. 24 higher if I did not find it so difficult to light and requiring a very precise puffing technique to avoid tongue bite.

My last tin was smoked with Dunhills and a Sasieni 3 Dot.

speaknott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speaknott (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Appearance: medium sized flakes, a bit trickier to rub out than normal. Mixed coloration.

Scent: rich, slightly acidic, almost olive oily type of smell. Very pleasant.

Taste: bright and spicy. A touch of citrus and olive oil.

Smoke level: not overwhelming.

Overall, a very unique style of red Virginia with the inclusion of the Drama leaf. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Whitehall Oom Paul, Kaywoodie Standard Billiard

Age When Smoked: 2011

Purchased From: Cigar Jacks

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

Oh , man ! This is quite a great blend . Every so often a blend blows me away and # 24 sure did ! I'm not a big McClelland Fan mostly because of their " ketchup " perverseness [ lol ] . well , this blend doesnt have any ketchup at all , thank the Lord . McClelland flakes are thicker cut and softer than the European stuff , in general . The aroma of the open tin is lovely ! It smokes very slow and very cool .. this stuff couldnt bite , just impossible . The whisper of Oriental [ drama apparently ] is just the cats ass ! It's there but in such a mild lovely way that I wasnt even sure what it was . It adds a slight depth to the blend and is just fantastic ! I'm gonna keep it short cause I just started smoking this blend and I'm sure I'll edit later as I get to experience it more . In a Nut shell .... Giada De Laurentis in Fishnets !!!!

Pipe Used: From small to large

Purchased From: http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=1185

Wawalsh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wawalsh (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My first two attempts to smoke this tobacco ended up in me dumping the bowl before it was fully smoked. I decided to try it a third time and filled my Dunhill Tan Shell estate pipe and lit her up. It started out bland as I remembered it and then...... 1/4 of the way down the bowl the tobacco came alive. Very complex with a sweet earthiness. Just a little spice in the background to enliven my taste buds. Once lit, I did not have to relite and she smoked all the way to the bottom. It left me wanting more.

I am a fan of the McClelland line but I would like this tobacco no matter who made it. Highly recommended.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

As of late this has been one of my go to blends. I absolutely love this blend. I am a big fan of Virginia blends with orientals in them and this one does not disappoint. The virginia's in this blend are of the darker and red variety and it contains a little bit of drama leaf. The combination in this blend produces a wonderful subtle yet complex smoking experience. The blend starts of sweet and then for me the oriental starts to show more pronounced about a third into the bowl. The sweetness wears off a little bit and then you get a nice interplay between darker virginia flavors and the drama leaf. The drama leaf is a nice addition to this blend and has a unique flavor that is slightly pungent and a little bit assertive. If you love virgina / oriental blends this is a must try. If you can cellar this up as it ages very well. I have been smoking tins of this from 2007 and am going to continue to stock and cellar this. Very, Very good and highly recommended!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

McClelland's Virginia #24 is my first experience with the tobacco Drama, which is a strong Macedonian condimental tobacco. The blend comes as a small flake, cut fairly thick but easily rubbed out; it is fairly consistently medium brown in color and has a pleasant pouch aroma. The charring light strikes me as basically Virginia. Once lit the Virginia is still the primary flavor, coming through as sweet and slightly fruity, but there is an interesting undertone which reminded me somewhat of the taste of Orientals, but which certainly is not a typical Oriental flavor. The early part of the bowl needs to be smoked quite carefully. This blend could potentially burn the smoker's tongue more than most blends I can think of. Deeper into the bowl the flavor remains sweet and creamy, while the bite-inducing nature dissipates, making the mid-bowl extremely pleasant. The undertone previously noted has picked up a bit at this point, but the Virginia sweetness is really enjoyable. The somewhat spicy underflavor of the Drama is quite pleasant now. If the entire smoke was what it is at mid-bowl, I'd run out and buy a couple of pounds of the blend. The end of the smoke, unfortunately, lets off on flavor. To me, the taste of the Drama adds a somewhat metallic flavor along with the musty spiciness. With each bowl I smoked, the last quarter or so was quite a letdown after the exciting, almost brilliant mid-bowl pleasure. It could be that Drama is a tobacco I simply need to get used to in order to enjoy. However, the blend is sold as a Virginia, and so my expectations in smoking it are naturally going to be based on what I know of this type of tobacco. As Virginias go there are many better. Coming from McClelland, I was disappointed with #24.

Papercutpostman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papercutpostman (7)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Today, I officially moved away from aromatics and thanks to 'tobaccoreviews' had decided to give VA 24. a shot!

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted visually with rectangular flakes that were dark, lined with a few bright leaves. They looked like small pieces of chocolate lined with thin slivers of almonds.

The aroma was a little sour. Now that I think of it, when I opened the tin it did smell like ketchup. So, as some reviewers suggested, I rubbed out the flakes and left them on my table for a good 10-15 minutes to let them breathe. After the sitting time, I came back to what smelled like rich, leathery tobacco leaves. Being an aromatics smoker, I didn't expect much in terms of taste because I was accustomed to just getting a whiff of the aromas while I puffed (yeah...'smoker's pride, captain black, macbarens, etc.)

I lightly packed my Stanwell colonial pipe 3/4 not knowing what to expect. After lighting the baccy and 'gently' tamping the charred flakes, I didn't get much with my first few puffs. However, after the leaves smoked themselves a bit, I started to notice sweetness at the tip of my tongue. Then, the flavors started to orchestrate themselves and I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet, nutty, and spicy notes. I'm a 'sipper' of tobacco so naturally, I experienced no bite. Being that this is my first with VAs, I decided to really draw some smoke. NO BITE! Wow...

I vow never to touch aromatics again! My next level will be Dunhill EMP and 965. I'm nervous as heck but soon...

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)

My first, and still my favorite Virginia. Very flavorful, not at all subtle, and incredibly good. Sweet, smoky, absolutely unlike anything else I've smoked and I love it. Tin note? Who cares? Nothing tastes like it smells in the tin anyway. I've always had aged tins of this, by the way, which I understand has a great impact on my perception of the tobacco.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Strong Very Strong Medium Very Strong

As you may see I am not thrilled with this tobacco.Will update and change my call if things change.

bernie c Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bernie c (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

1999 tin, decanted into a glass jar perhaps 2 months ago. Radice medium sized straight pipe. Flakes are dark and richly coloured with a variety of different hues. On closer inspection I notice what appears to be bloom on the flakes. I certainly hope it isnt mold!! I`ve seen this before, particularly on some of G&H and SG`s offerings. There are also a multitude of sparkling sparkly bits. Glistening in the light as I turn the flake one way and another...they twinkle like stars. Dried out just this side of crispy, I loaded the flakes in a broken almost cube cut into the bowl. Upon lighting I notice sweetness with a slight spicyness in the background. It is similar to a VA with a small dose of perique, but slightly different. Unique. I notice a pronounced creaminess too. Taking a sip on my beer I notice some bite across the tongue, but nowhere near the agony a typical beer/VA experience usually produces. Putting down the pipe and picking it up again several minutes later, I am pleased to find it smoking gently. Puff, puff....thar she blows. No problems smoking this flake, with a bit of drying its burns superbly. As I make my way down the bowl I taste darkness more. Less sweet VA and a headier, thicker darker noted smoke. Really quite nice. I am surprised how smooth it feels too. As carefully as I smoke, most VA`s far too often give my mouth pain. Not this one, not tonight...not in this pipe. Having a tin/jar of this tobacco which has aged since 1999 is a treat for sure. This is the kind of stuff probably not that great straight from the store. With a bit of aging tho...quite delicious in very subtle and interesting ways. Smoke it slow, sip.... breath-smoke it gently...and it is a rewarding VA flake with a little more depth than a pure virginia. Put some of this away for a decade if you can. Nice.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (36)

Overall impressions: Dark and deeply flavorful Virginia flake made the more complex with a varietal Oriental dappled in the layers. Very cool, slightly sweet and without the sourness associated with some Virginia/Oriental attempts (cf. Embarcadero or even Blended Flake made by McClelland). Perhaps my favorite McClelland Virginia presently, having tried all their brown and reserve tins. I can find no fault.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)

I must say, this blend caught me by surprise, a very pleasant one if i may add. I love the cut, the tin aroma, the perfect moisture level from the tin. The taste is deliciously tangy, sweet and natural. It is a great virginia blend that i really enjoy.

If you are a lover of virginia blends you cannot go wrong with this one, please bear in mind that it is a bit light on nicotine

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

An ammonia-like smell is what greets you after opening the tin. The only drawback is that it can taint the room note, hence the "pleasant to tolerable" rating. Some have noted the smell of urine while I smoked it (a similar experience with McClelland Navy Cavendish), but don't worry as none of this translates into the smoke.

In spite of all this, I enjoyed Virginia No. 24 very much. It was pleasantly sweet, and I am sure some of that extra sweetness was due to the addition of the Drama leaf. There was no bite or moisture while smoking, the end result a clean medium-gray ash.

If you favor Virginias, you should try this blend at least once. Not in my regular Virginia line-up, but a nice smoke for when the mood strikes. 3 solid stars.

seasonalpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seasonalpipesmoker (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This can had been cellared by an expert for years before he handed it to me, so your mileage may vary.

On opening the can, I didn't get any of the ketchupy aroma that people seem to associate with MacClellan. It was sweet, but not at all tangy or pungent.

The cut packs wonderfully, lights easily and stays lit once you get it lit.

The aroma is also very nice. It makes me think "pipe tobacco" in a pleasant way (as opposed to an old socks on a campfire way).

It will burn hot if you let it get too dry. I find just moist enough to hold together after a pinch is just right.

I'll be buying more of this to put in my own cellar for a few years.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

This blend offers all the great tastes of a true Virginia smoke. If you puff it slowly you'll have a great pleasure with some real and sweet tobacco taste and a nice nicotine dose. It is rubbed easily. However I choose to smoke it unrubbed for a slower smoking. The little flakes are hard to keep lit if you don't air them as they have a higher humidity level. Highly recommended for Virginia lovers.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)

What an excellent tobacco.

As tastefull as a Virginia can be, it progresses admirably down the bowl, changing notes and ending perfectly. I can´t really discern the role played by the drama leaf, but this is a winner.

Loved it, but I love most McClellands I've tried. This one is especially rich and satisfying.

12-6-11 Aquired a tin from 1993; don't ask how much I paid. Still debating whether to cellar it (i.e. for how long) or smoke it (i.e. sooner rather than later), but when I do smoke it, I will post my thoughts.

The review by DK right below mine is tempting me to go for the smoke it sooner option...

frankluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frankluke (17)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this is the best of the brown label series IMO. a little too wet out of the can like most McC stuff i hate to say but that's my only complaint. after a few charring lights your rewarded with a slow burning sweet and sometimes spicy (drama leaf?)smoke.

t-rexxx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
t-rexxx (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I love the the smell needs to be ground up in a leaf grinder to pack properly.Takes a while to light drying out first helps.Pack loose in a large bowel for best results.the taste is very smooth and sweet halfway down to end.can't pinpoint a flavor.just a mild sweetness.Not bad,but I'm still a Mccranies ribb,flake fan.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The virginias in this blend are typical McClelland fare: sweet, grassy, with a ketchupy aroma that fades in a week or so. The drama imparts a subtle oriental flavour with floral and citrous notes, as well as a weird sweet taste that strengthens with age. Give this some time--it tastes like hot air until it gets at least a year on it.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This is one weird va blend. It has this nutty almost musty woodsy smell and taste to it to me. Kind of interesting tin aroma. Not offensive but not the typical mclelland aroma for va's. Just Interesting. Will keep you wondering what it smells like for a long time. I find this blend is one of the few that tastes close to the way it smells.

As far as taste this is not your ordinary va. I find it good to mix things up but not a daily smoke. Smooth and nutty. Not bitey at all. Not that flavorful either but a good solid smoke.

I find the tin aroma and taste nothing like #27 as others mentioned. Much more mellow and unpronounced in both smell and taste.

Good, interesting and worth the money. Will smoke it once and a while. Just not as much as the others I smoke everyday in this series. I like the 27 and 22 the most.

update: I am finding myself coming back to this blend more and more often. It is very good and smooth. A little hard to get lit but worth the effort. Fast becoming a regular for me.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I recently purchased a 100 gram can of McClelland's Virginia #24 from jrcigars.com along with several other tobaccos. This has a similar aroma to McClelland's Virginia #27 when you open the can (a wonderful tobacco that has a hint of an All Spice like smell). The flake breaks up nicely and the tobacco burns smooth. This stuff has a beautiful color (reddish-brown with a bit of white). I guess if I knew more about tobacco I could identify the white - I guess that's the Drama?

I like this stuff but I must say that even though I Highly Recommend it, I like the #27 a bit more. This seems to have a drier taste in the mouth. I will continue to sample this an update my review as the tobacco "breaths".

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

McClelland takes their art seriously. You can pick any tin and you will be satisfied. So many to try! This is another fine blend, I can only say, grab any tin and then refine the blends to better suit your individual taste.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This McClelland blend typifies what I love about this hobby. By 'hobby', I mean that us pipe smokers are on the quest for that magic experience that takes us to the next level. Cigarette and Cigar smokers aren't after that grail, IMHO. The 'high' or the 'status' dominate. As an ex' cigarette smoker, I smoked to cope. Cigar guys say..."This is a good smoke at $17 a stick". Well, pipes aren't about need or price, its about the personal experience that matters.

So where does #24 take you? To an ethereal place if you can do the pre-flight chscklist. First off, way too wet outta the can. I let a pinch of flakes dry on a paper plate 48hrs before light-up. Currently, I'm popping cans 2 and 4 yrs old. A previous reviewer mentioned a size 4 pipe. This is the best size for this weed.

Smoke this stuff fast and you lose and get burnt!!! Do a subtle breath smoke, and you'll be rewarded. The flavor will awe you, and the nicotene will floor you.

Don't rush this tobacco. Waste your matches, it's a small price to pay. Unlike Mc's Dark Star, this stuff is worth the time.

Oh yes, another fine Virginia tobacco blend from McClellands!

More forgiving than Dark Star and even #27, this tobacco surely will win over even the most "dainty tongued" pipesters who shy away from Virginia blends due to the heat. It is also (nicotine wise) a headier brew than #27, and I do appreciate that drug.

McClelland's #24 is, simply stated, regal in flavor and behavior. It rubs out and stays lit easily. Puff slowly in order to savor the varying waves of Virginia flavor.

Hey McClelland's, you done good with this one!

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another quality VA from McClelland. Almost too many to try. I cannot recognize 'Drama' Overall it was sweet, flavorfull, smoky, grasslike, ashy aftertaste, with steak sauce spice much less than Dark Star, yet similar and transient.

You Cannot Go Wrong With McClelland!!!

I use CUPOJOES.com Its half as much as the local shop. -sorry pipeshop!

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

I opened the tin of No. 24 and took a sniff. I immediately detected the scent of fine matured Virginia. For those of you not used to the scent, do not let the pungent odor deter you, it is not even similar to its smoking qualities.

I love the flakes, easy to rub out and easy to pack. I found that it took a couple more matches to get going well, but that was a minor inconvience. The first puff provided me with what I suspected: smooth, mellow VA flavor. Not tangy or sour but sweet. As I was enjoying an incredible VA experience I began to notice the Drama, which added a nice smokiness and spice to the flavor. If puffed slowly, this tobacco has no bite. The entire experience was a treat. To top it off, it has a great aroma that is friendly to the smoker and to friends.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a fine blend from a fine blender. It's flavor is somewhat similar to McClellands 2015. I cannot recommend it however because 1. It bites, even with careful smoking and 2. While it is reasonably priced, it is twice the price of 2015, which after some ageing will produce an outstanding blend.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)

Virginia No.24 huh so this is why people enjoy Virginia's. No.24 was really a pleasant surprise for me for I wasn't expecting to enjoy it very much...but did...a lot. I'm thinking what made this a good experience was that No.24 was richer and fuller than I expect this type of VA to be. This will easly replace my tin of Mac Barens Virginia Flake...hands down! McCelland sure creates some yummy stuff. I will be keeping this in supply.

Goes well after a bowl of Frog Morton or On The Town,

RPearson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RPearson (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

1 February 2006

Well, firstly I'm a new pipe smoker. Have only been at it a few months and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I'm a big fan (as are many if not most fledgling pipesmokers) of mild aromatics.

Anyway, I decided to take a foray into a non-aromatic and thought a Virginia would be nice. So yesterday I went out and purchased McClelland's Virginia No. 24 for my first try. Bought a new pipe as well.

I was truly, truly put off (NOTE: this is all subjective. Many people love this tobacco and love Virginias. Tastes vary. I recognize my experience is unique and in no way is my review meant to put down any of my fellow briarfolk who love this or any other Virginias). Here are the details:

TIN AROMA: This was the first thing that put me off, and to me tin aroma is really important. It's just how I am. If I can't get beyond it, I'm not going to like it. Although I had read about the typical "ketchupy" tin aroma of McClelland tobaccos, I was really unprepared for the pungency. It smelled of an unfinished glass of really cheap red wine that had been left to sit for a week, whereby all the flavorful characteristics had evaporated and all that was left was the odor of vinegarized fermented grape.

APPEARANCE: The thick flakes actually looked rather nice, slightly difficult to rub but not too bad.

LIGHTING: Took forever to light. I killed several matches. Maybe it was my packing.

FLAVOR: This is the second thing that put me off. Firstly, the flavor was very mild, smooth and buttery, and it exhibited characteristics of grass and hay. But then the flavor quickly became unpleasurable to me. Not bad, just unpleasurable. I totally did not care for the aftertaste it left me.

BITE: No noticeable tongue bite.

ROOM NOTE: This is the third thing that put me off. The room note was mild. Imagine the smell of a freshly mowed lawn. We all love it. Now imagine setting fire to that freshly mowed lawn. That's what the aroma was like to me. Totally didn't care for it. And after all was done and smoked, the aroma lingered and lingered and lingered. It was annoying. In fact, I recall sensing the slightest reminiscense of cat urine.

Overall, I recognize that my new pipe palate may not be ready for non-aromatics. Perhaps one day down the road when I feel I am ready, I will try again. Until then, my Virginia No. 24 will be put away unattended and ignored.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

November-2003.Virginia No 24. One very enjoyable tobacco for many reason's,such as,easy lighting,only requiring a couple of tamp's.Plus,superb delicious virginia flavour with something extra,that I can't quiet pin down,maybe it's the Drama? Wonderful and consistant all the way to the bottom of the bowl,it didn't bite,but pack's a superb punch in a most suttle and gentle way.Leaves a very nice white clean ash and nothing goopy,or annoying.I smoked and enjoyed back to back bowl's all day long,without boredom or problem's.Taste is great without being overly done in anyway.

======================================== Update January 2006.After returning for another visit to this wonderful blend,I've raised it's level from three,to four stars.

Now,Very Highly Recommended!

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Pipe: Savinelli 677 Red Rustic conditions: cold, around 45F

This is about the fullest and richest VA I've had. Very wonderful almost creamy flavor. Love it.

Con: bites like a son-of-a-gun to get it going. Relights are ok but that first light after false is a killer. Worth it, as you can see my rating. I'll try to take it easy, but, that warm, sweet "nectar" taste is very tempting!

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice tobacco. Very full bodied and flavorful tobacco without being overwhelming. This is a sit and smoke kind of tobacco a little to complex to be doing to much. If you want a real treat drink some hot chocolate with a shot of Myers's dark rum in it. The flavors of the dark rum and chocolate match the flavors of the tobacco perfectly.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

"Typical" Mc initial flavor with the pleasant virginia sweetness and tang. But, there's something extra; a yes, the gentle hint smokiness from the drama. Nice! The drama intensifies gradually through the bowl but does not overpower the experience. I give it three stars only because I get an enjoyable smoke about 75% of the time. Something odd happens every now and then in that the smoke is ashy and somewhat bitter, but I think it's me (body chemistry) and not the tobacco.

This review based on a tin from 99'

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Nice 1" squares of flake that are mostly dark brown. Due to the age, there are alot sugar crystals on the flakes. The familiar MC tang is subdued and that is typical of aged tins. The aroma reminds one of red VA and hay, delicious!

Packing and Lighting: I had a lot of fun while reviewing this blend and settled on rolling a "burrito" of flakes lengthwise and stuffing it in my pipes. The age also made lighting relatively easy, 3-4 lights.

Initial Flavor: yumm! Red Va is prominent with the matured and golden leaves as support.

Mid-Bowl: This is delightful mid-strength VA with a nice roundness and sweetness. The turkish really adds a nice flavor.

Bottom of Bowl: This is over too quickly. There is a slight increase in strength, DGT works awesome with this blend. This is definitely an all-day blend.

Overall: If you are looking for a tasty all day VA blend, age a few tins and enjoy. This blend has grown on me lately and I have upgraded from 3 stars to 4. A delicious VA with turkish added! Yummmmm!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

A full flavor dark Virginia flake. Easy to rub out. Nice smoke.

Aris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aris (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Sorry for not placing a review!I will as soon my parcell comes! Dear RCUSEIder:Drama is a Greek state(and Town),at THRAKI,very famous for their Domestic-Oriental tobaccos.Drama and Xanthi prodouces exetional Tobaccos!(Like BASMA)

A very full dark Virginia partly broken flake. A bit moist fresh from the can. Crumbles fairly easily. The vinegar smell was quite subdued for a fresh tinned McClelland. About one-half star below Best Brown Flake. Should improve nicely with age.

Typical McClelland flake! The difference here lies in the presence of some oriental leaf, which makes the sweetness of the virginias less evident and adds some pungency. The thick flakes are difficult to fully rub out, so this is a perfect blend for smoking outside. My tin was 3 and a half years old, and the flakes were covered with sugar crystals: this may have helped in creating a very nice, complex smoke. It certainly is a flake which requires your attention and which after a while can actually grow on you. A bit bitey, though, but nothing that a seasoned Virginia smoker won't be able to handle!

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)

I should preface this review by saying that the tin of VA 24 I am reviewing has some age on it, at least 3 years.

This is really wonderful tobacco. I have smoked it in several pipes, all of which smoked it well. It is broken flake, dark in color, and I let the tobacco dry well. I rub it out roughly before packing my pipe. The flavor is exquisite, sweet but not cloying, with a spicy undertone. Something of a sweet and sour flavor. It can bite your tongue, but with a modicum of care you will smoke a full pipe without indicent. The tobacco burns well from start to end, with the normal number of relights required for a "go slow" VA.

I love this stuff. Highest recommendation.

This was my first experience with Drama, a Turkish tobacco which proved enjoyable. The tin aroma is pretty typical of the McClelland 'vinegar' although not as intense as others. Nicely formed chestnut colored flakes that are easy to pack without rubbing them out and result in a cool, rich smoke. Although tasty thruout, this blend is spicier, even @ a slow burn, than I prefer for an all day smoke. However, after meals or for a change, it's a mellow smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

The tin aroma is typical McClelland, slightly vinegary and fermented. The small flakes are mostly red with a trace of yellow leaf, and rub out easily. The flakes are slightly thicker than the offerings of S. Gawith, and so I finf them the resulting rubout to be a bit coarser. The result is a tobacco that burns slowly, and often requires a relight. The flavor is zesty with a trace of spiciness (probably the Drama), and is best at a slow burn. It burns quite cool, but if puffed agressively loses some of the flavor nuances. It lights easily, starting out with a medium intensity of flavor, develops a more pronounced richness in the middle of the bowl, and ends just a bit tingly on the palate. I find that it needs to be dried a bit before it smokes properly, this seems to be a McClelland trait. It leaves a clean, white ash.