Dark with Latakia and Black Virginias, deeply seasoned with Orientals, this is the classic full Scottish smoke.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeScottish
Packaging50 grams tin, 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste

Whew! Finally a green label McClellands oriental that I can enjoy! I've gone through #6, 8 and 12 so far without much success. I found them all too bland and not very interesting. This one, while not being overly exciting, is very rich and flavorful without being cantankerous or overbearing. Somehow they managed to pack all this flavor into a very smooth oriental blend. Nice!

I would not call this a "Full" mixture. This one seems somewhere in the middle to me - in between, say, Rattrays #7 Reserve and Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend. #14 is for those who desire a richer flavor but aren't looking for a latakia dump. I doubt I'll buy more of this but it was certainly a nice ride!

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

McClelland Oriental Blends. The key I have found over the years is: Cellaring, Cellaring, Cellaring. While most tobacco blends can benefit from cellaring, (with the usual exception of flavored/aromatics ones), with Orientals I have come to believe IMHO, this is almost a mandatory need. They seem to smooth out with age and meld better.

Although this is not my first choice in Oriental Blends, I have found a BIG difference between smoking a tin from this year and a tin from 1996.

Overall, I find this blend to be a middle of the road for this genre, tasty, smooth, seldom needing a re-light. The latakia is in a good proportion, not top heavy like many English Blends.

Rich, satisfying, burns to grey/white ash without heel moisture. The flavor is consistent throughout the run of the bowl. Slightly sweet in the beginnig, with spice infiltrating on the way down the bowl.

Just a nice smoke.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

The leaf here is broken up like a puzzle with different sized and shaped pieces everywhere. Once I got the stuff packed properly (no small task), it then put up a struggle when I tried to light it. Once lit properly, the Orientals jumped to the forefront with a nice background of smoky Latakia. Soft and semi-sweet in its presentation.

If I'm not mistaken this is #12 with a little more Latakia. While it's an improvement, it still lacks any input from the Virginias other than a touch of sweetness. A little actual flavor from some Virginias would raise this to 3 stars, unfortunately McClelland didn't see fit to add any. 2 stars.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Burns fairly well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice blend from McClelland. To the contrary of many other reviews I found this tobacco to be full of flavor and very satisfying. OM14 packed nicely and lit evenly and smoked nice and dry. It had great appeal as I enjoy VA and English blends. I will thoroughly enjoy the remainder of the tin and anticipate purchasing this tobacco again.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend has grown on me in a big way. From the first I enjoyed it's spicy-sweet complexity, a solid 3-star blend.

I don't know what a Scottish blend is. There seem to be a variety of conflicting definitions, so sure, it's a Scottish blend, why not. To me it tastes like a sweetish Balkan with, as Bob Smith rightly says, the "rich and nutty" oriental spices coming front and center, supported by a solid and creamy Latakia background, with the Virginias here a delicately sweet condiment. It all comes together in a wonderfully balanced, accessibly nuanced blend. If this describes a Scottish blend, then I'm definitely a fan of them.

Perhaps thedstnguishdgntlmn said it best: "Tangy, Smoky, and Smooth best describes this winner. A nice change for English blend Afficianados and a must try for those who love oriental mixtures."

(And I politely disagree with those who say it is mild, flavorless, and tends to bite. To me it is moderately strong, full of flavor, with no bite.)

A really delicious blend that would make an excellent all-day smoke. Highly recommended.

Note: this blend is best after it's dried out for a while. Right out of a freshly opened tin it can be a bit too sharp and strong, and, yes, a bit bitey. Letting it dry mellows it to perfection.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (32)

This has become a solid all day smoke for me. It's balanced between all three components. I would like a bit more Orientals to enhance the butteriness of the background flavors, but, never the less this is a very good mixture. It has the standard moisture of most McClelland blends and could be dried a tad to enhance packing and lighting, but it's not an issue for me. I don't consider this a "sweet" blend as others have indicated. It does have some sweetness due to the natural properties of the tobaccos themselves, but I wouldn't call this sweet by any means. This blend falls in the same flavor category as Frog Morton's "On The Bayou", or "On The Town", without the Perique. Also this is the medium version of Pease "Westminster" in terms of flavor. It gets spicier further down the bowl. The cut is relatively the same as the above blends as well.

This is a go to blend and will be in my rotation always.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)

Tin note is not the typical McC...almost no ketchup smell from the VA's, a hint of tart vinegar but mostly woody/sour orientals and smokey Latakia. This is a very nice Oriental blend. I am not sure how McClelland would rate this compared to their other Oriental blends but this one seems like it isn't trying too hard and with that you get a top notch mixture. McClelland struggles (IMO) with Orientals due to how they process their Virginias in part, the other part is they have world class VA's that tend to dominate the lighter blends, particularly Oriental forward blends. #14 is a very well done blend. The Latakia is applied with enough heft to make the blend creamy and sweet but not over power the base tobacco's. The Virginia's provide a solid base for the star attraction the Orientals. They have a woody dry flavor: cedar and hickory. There is also a tannic quality to this blend that takes the moisture from you tongue like a strong black tea. The retrohale offers a fizzy seltzer like feeling that imparts a slightly bitter, nutty flavor. The interplay of Virginias and Orientals also hints of a creamy (more buttery perhaps) flavor. I am sure this is also from the Cyprian Latakia but the mouth feel to me is of the oriental variety. The VA's offer a citrus note as well as some hay (like a hay bale after a rain that is sitting in the sun) I like this blend more and more, each bowl tastes better to me. I have read other reviewers comments regarding aging this blend. My gut says that this is not a blend that will improve much with age. My experience with Orientals is much like Burley, they do not do too well with age, meaning they hold flavor at best not improve. I have smoked a tin that was under a year and I am 2/3 of the day through a tin with about 2 years on it. I cannot say the 2 year old tin had any noticeable improvements. I really like this blend and I was pleasantly surprised as I did not expect much. Another beauty of this hobby, you never know what you are going to get (in my best Forrest Gump).

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum and cobs

Purchased From: B&M

Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Not bad , but not interesting, very one dimensional. I find myself puffing harder than I should to get some flavor.

I have to agree with the "Master Reviewer ", "Pipestud" from some 25 reviews back on 12/10/2003

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

#14 is a little lighter than I expected I was hoping for a Bailey's Balkan flavor. This is short on the orientals and latakia, there's just not full enough for my tastes. Still a nice blend that burns well and leaves a nice gray ash and has a nice sweetness from the virginia's to it.. Just wish it had more of a kick, it is has a nice cut and moisture content.I would say try some it's worth a it, seems to fit well in the hot summer days, when other's maybe to heavy for the season. I find it to smoke best in a medium to large pipe. I smoked my 1st bowl in a small Dunhill and was not thrilled but going to a larger pipe gave the tobacco a chance to open up. Still not Bailey's but a lot better smoke.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

#14 was the right moisture content right out of the tin, no added drying necessary--packed and lit well--burned throughout easily--

smoked relatively cool, although i believe it might bite if you don't approach it with care--

the flavor was a mild oriental, light on latakia, but very tasty--

it will remain stocked on a small supply--

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)

Bitey, bitey, bitey. I don't get this one. I Love English blends and this being a Full Scottish mixture I thought it would be great. I was wrong.

The tin note was just OK but, not as smoky as I would have liked. The moisture content looked perfect. It packed well and lit up just fine each and every time I have tried this blend but, I always get bit. No good for me.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

quality blend with fine leafs and natural sweetness and spicy taste to it with that tangy virginia touch(with the ketchupy fermented maccleland taste offcourse). it pack better in wide bowls and holds fire very well. a fine example of how oriental mixture should be.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Ok as with most tins open it and tuck it away for a few weeks. At least Three with #14. The Lalakia is up front the Black Virginia is there right behind as the bowl goes down the Oriental comes into paly with this mix. Ther is some type of flavoring ever so sublte. Like a butter scotch aroma ever so slight. Actually a good smoke milder then most Latty belnds. Room Note well as with all pipes better to smoke the outside. REDD

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

There was a reviewer somewhere here that said when you review Oriental blends, you must remember they are not full English blends. That is one piece of advice I would like to pass along.

Perfect moisture out of the tin. My tin is dated 04/08 and I opened it in 02/11. Light on the Latikia, it is blended perfectly with the black VA's and Orientals. This is a great change up blend for those who smoke a lot of English.

I like smoking these Oriental blends to transition from summer into fall, and winter into spring.

Paired well with a Bin 27 Port.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Oriental Mixture No. 14 is a fine oriental-oriented mixture; the Latakia plays in the background against an earthy Black Virginia note. The orientals are somewhat spicy. In all, a pleasant smoke that pairs well with a strong coffee.

I did not experience the bite that other reviewers noted. No. 14 burns well and down to a dry white ash. I just finished an '03 tin so I benefitted from some decent aging.

This Scottish blend is probably overlooked by many in the mass of McCelland offerings. It's worth considering.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

Without a doubt the best of the McC green cans. Loads of latakia and black virginias are pefectly married in this all day smoke. It is flavorful and smooth from first to last puff and has never bitten me. It is a trusty companion that will not let you down. What can I say laddies I love the stuff!

UPDATE 5/8/13: I am removing a star because this has not remained a regular smoke for me. I still recommed it and some may find it to be a favorite.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Tin Aroma: This has the characteristic Latakia smokiness, but sweeter and more 'earthy' than most 'Oriental' blends.

Physical Characteristics: a variety of shapes and sizes to the individual pieces in this blend, ranging from larger dark broken flake pieces of matured virginias to smaller ribbon cut orientals, spaning the whole spectrum of tans and light browns.

Notes: The 100g tin of this I smoked had been aged for three years before I opened it. A little trouble getting it lit, but that is my cross to bear. I prefer my tobacco dry to the point of no return, so your mileage may vary, as they say. A musty, 'dry' taste pervades the first half of the bowl, giving way in the second half to a spicy, sweet flavor, but it comes with a price. The flavor does deepen into a classic (to me anyway) Oriental taste, but I had to pay particular care not to burn my tongue. During a few bowlfuls it felt as if I was playing hide and seek with the tongue bite demon. I find it very distracting to have to pay such careful attention to my smoking technique that a quarter bowl can pass without me enjoying the taste, concentrated as I am on not damaging my taste buds.

Verdict: Not a very complex blend, and probably not going to see regular rotation at my house.