An exceptionally dark, rich and full Latakia Mixture designed for those who desire really satisfying Latakia flavor but want a pipe tobacco soft enough to smoke anytime. It took Frog Morton four years to perfect this unique blend designed for smoking in quiet serenity. It is his proudest achievement.

Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frogmorton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The "ketchup/BBQ" scent is there, but doesn't interfere with the taste as much as I expected. The smokey, woody Cyprian latakia hit is moderate and plays fairly well with the dark fruit, mildly earthy, lightly grassy Virginia. I don't know what the sweet top note is, but it could be whiskey or rum based. It's hard to tell. Needs some drying time before smoking, but don't dry it too much or you'll lose some of the taste. Requires relights and leaves some moisture in the bowl. Burns cool and very smooth with a consistent flavor from start to finish. Won't bite even if pushed. The nic-hit is mild. Has a decent after taste, and can be an all day smoke. It's basically for smokers who don't want lat-bombs and/or easing their way into English blends. More of a crossover blend than a straight English.

Dark black with flecks of brown leaf in the tin. Good moisture content right out of the jar. Unfortunately, I get the impression that this just misses being a 3 star tobacco by a hair. I can't put my finger on either what's missing or what's there that shouldn't be (I'm leaning toward the former). It's like neither the latakia nor the virginia allows each other to develop. This starts out smoky and mildly spicy and stays that way. The VA's are so light as to be bland and seem to be in the mix only to keep this from being straight latakia. As the previous poster hinted, this blend is not much if any different than any other run-of-the-mill English. There's nothing inherently wrong with it; it just doesn't ring any bells with me.

I'm going to add a smidge of perique or some blending orientals to this to see if I can make it more interesting. If you like a monodimensional mild English that you could probably smoke all day, this should be on your short list. It really did not stand out enough for me to encourage me to buy it again.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Froggie is popular with the latakia crowd because it is almost biteless and subdued in its palate sensory projection. If you eat a plate of straight latakia, you might get more in your system than what Froggie delivers in a pipe. The ripe Virginia leaf and delicate and sweet Orientals play just far enough in the background so as not to interfere with the richly rewarding Latakia taste of this specially processed Latakia leaf. A remarkable blend that has been a featured staple in the McClelland's lineup for a long time.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Mild Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I just opened a tin of this coded 45702, which I guess makes it 12 years old. Somebody correct me if I've got the age wrong. WELL: no funny smells anymore, no ketchup, Worcestire, nothing but tobacco & CHOCOLATE!!! in the tin. I would have sworn it smelled like Latakia & dark chocolate & the better half agrees. In the pipe, though, it's just tobacco & one of the best lat blends I can remember. The Va's come through now & then, but the smoking characteristics are what's best for me - really RICH flavor, totally smooth, no bite, no acidic aftertaste, almost floral at the top, though pleasantly sweet, smoke drier & richer down the bowl. Twice already I have been surprised by a mouthful of ashes at the bottom, not realizing iot was done. Just wonderful stuff.

Pipe Used: Dunhill pot from 1964 etc

Purchased From: Don't remember

Similar Blends: other chocolate-latakia blends?.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A mostly black short ribbon tobacco with a smidgeon of golden leaf. The tin note is mostly the Christmas pudding aromas expected of McC Virginias, altho the Lat aroma sits squarely in the mix.

Takes a light beautifully and burns without attention. Produces pillows of creamy smoke. The aromas fill the nose and mouth with soft and sweet notes.

Seems to be mostly a stoved Va blend, which suits me just fine. Might not please the pipester seeking a nicotine hit or the broad mid palate of a burley blend. I found this beautifully weighted for my current tastes if somewhat lacking in complexity. The latakia presence makes it too rich for an all day blend, the premium tobacco price might rule that out as well, but feels like a great late afternoon indulgence with a big mug of builders tea.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A dark mixture with a large portion of stoved Virginia. The color of Frog Morton is deceiving and there’s less latakia here than one would think. The flavor is mild, smooth and lightly sweet, and latakia lends a delicate fragrance and a sweet woodsy note to the aroma. Frog Morton should not be confused with traditional English style latakia mixtures; I believe it’s best categorized and judged as a crossover blend. I prefer to think of it as a sugared Virginia gently seasoned with a bit of latakia.

When I smoke it, I treat it like I would an aromatic, going very slow with gentle sips, making a concerted effort to keep it cool. Altogether this is a quality blend that’s pleasant to smoke and it’s easy to understand why it has become so popular. It performs well but does require at least 30 minutes of dry time.

If you fancy a slightly sweeter blend with a touch of spice and a bit more complexity, try Frog Morton on the Town. So far however, when it comes to the Frog blends, I still prefer the mellow, yet smokier subtleties of Frog Morton Across the Pond.

Pipe Used: Briar

I have a weakness for simple Lat/Va blends. I've liked every one I've tried. If my memory is correct this is the first I've had that uses stoved Virginias and it adds an extra dimension that makes this one stand out. The toasty note really fits in here beautifully. The Latakia is just right, light enough to let the Virginias shine yet heavy enough to do some shining of it's own. Very nicely balanced with plenty of flavor. Burns very well straight from the tin. Most bowls are one match bowls. Sometimes another is required to finish it off. Just a really wonderful smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. I can't detect any added flavoring.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

I love Frog Morton the Original because it has that English Taste I love but can be smoked while on the move or doing something else. This blend does not bite or need focusing as it is very forgiving. I have recently been smoking Smokers Haven's Exotique Mixture at night and FM during the day as a 100 gram tin of FM is the same price as a 50 gram tin of Exotique. I love the brown sugar BBQ aroma in the tin and side stream smoke... If you think of this blend as what it is IE: Cavendish and Latakia with a little Virginia and not a Super Balkan or Nightcap then I think you will be happy with FM as an all day English blend that is inexpensive. :-)

Pipe Used: Wally Frank Pot, Cob, Charatan Canadian

Age When Smoked: One year in the tin

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

McClelland - Frog Morton.

Another blend I received in a trade with Gentleman Zombie. Every time I do a trade with Franck it just reminds me of the great selection of blends available in the U.S.A! From my point of view, this is another one!

The appearance of the blend is very dark: it contains a much higher proportion of Latakia in comparison to the Virginia. The only descriptive word regarding the water content that could be used is Impeccable: not wet, not dry, but ready to smoke. The ribbons are very chunky, I'd say if they were any thicker the blend might pass as being a Broken Flake! The aroma from the tin is absolutely sublime: rich, leathery, and earthy. The second it's lit I feel as though I'm in Utopia:

I love both the texture and flavour of the smoke. Firstly the texture: thick, almost sticky, palpable, and very cool. Secondly, the flavour: Wow, wow, wow; I can see why at present it's the favourite of 48 users (49 once I'm included!). I've not smoked a Latakia-heavy blend anything like this before. Even though the Latakia makes up most of the smoke it's not harsh, nor is it that smoky on the palate: I never realized Latakia could taste so mild! Even though there's more Latakia than Virginia, I get quite a substantial citrus/grass note coming through; combined with the style of Latakia it makes for a brilliantly unique smoke. Although it doesn't have any added flavouring, I'm sure I can taste a black Cavendish-esc vanilla/sweetness. The nicotine's quite mild in this, it would be great to begin the hobby with if you're scared of the stronger Lat' blends.

If Black Cavendish and Latakia were to have a baby, this would be it!

Highly recommended.

Update 09/06/16: this is absolutely superb in a Churchwarden!

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Zombie; he gets the best blends in his country!

bojangle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bojangle (7)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Woodsy notes on the retro-hale.

Raisin sweetness in taste mixed with latakia.

More latakia based than the other blends in the series.

No nicotine hit!

Summary: very, very good mild-medium English.

Pipe Used: Dagner devil anse p2

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin.

Purchased From: 4noggins

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (10)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

We'll I have to say this is one of the best blends I've had. To me a perfect blend of Latakia when I'm not looking for a lat bomb but a well balanced English. It's been quite humid here (75%) and I was foreseeing a hot biting smoke but was pleasantly surprised. Despite the high humidity FM burnt cool, slow, and smooth. The end was a delicious mix of smokey Latakia with a sweetness from the Virginias. To me this is almost my perfect English blend as I am a huge fan of Latakia, yet love the sweetness of Virginias. I will be educating myself on more blends from mclelland and looking to try more.

10/4/2014 Still love this blend but still wonder where the big sweetness is coming from. Maybe highly sweetened black cavendish? I dunno. There is no claim of casing on the label... But to me seems sweet for any sugar added please comment...

Pipe Used: Savinelli long jhon

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

This tobacco is simple and delicious. Full yet mild is what it says on the tin. That's true in that it's pleasantly mild, not harsh, yet it's full enough that you feel satisfied from the smoke. The latakia comes through very nice. I get some acidity and something else my taste buds can't quite pinpoint. Some people complain it's one- dimensional, but I think that's the point. FM is meant to be enjoyed without having to think about it. Let your mind wander while FM relaxes you for the journey. Easily an all day smoke.

Dr.James Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.James (28)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Just like the pipe smoking frog siting on the log amidst the serene marsh(The Frogmorton), smoking this blend is relaxing and offers a subtle variety of flavors. The Virginias are sweet and fruity but toned down with a bit of toasted earth. Latakia is woodsy with a bit of molasses and a touch of smoked peat moss/swamp log. There is a sweet topping that is mild but noticeable, perhaps rum and a bit of vanilla. Tastes like the same topping used in the other blends in the series but not as strong. Needs some dry time, and average relights. Every time I visit Frog Morton I get a slightly different smoking experience.

ElMog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ElMog (30)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Lots of 4 stars or 2 stars reviews here. Let's write one more 2 stars review. Great smell from the tin. Very dark in color, chunky, with some slender brown streaks. Will stay moist forever, but smokes well regardless of the fact it is sticky and wet. On first light, one gets a whiff of Latakia, then it's all gone. I suspect that the virginia in this blend has been cavendish-ed. This blend has no tang, no body, no structure, no high or low notes. It has that typically sweet-ish cavendish note, which always reminds me of sweetened milk or wet cardboard (not that i ever actually ate wet cardboard...), slightly maple-ish at its best, but overall very mild and very... bland. Nothing citrus-y, fruity, spicy or truly sweet. The latakia CAN be tasted, or imagined, if you puff very hard, actually i like this tobacco better when abused, some woody / sawdust-y notes can sometimes be coaxed out of the Frog. It is an innocuous tobacco, it doesnt bite, it will burn quite well regardless of packing, will never get harsh. But it just doesnt offer much. I like the tin art. And am amused by the fact some people actually criticize said tin art, as if Frog Morton could truly be taken seriously as a tobacco... It is, at best, the proverbial all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Many

Purchased From: Tully's (Well's Beach)

Similar Blends: hot air.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

A delightful latakia blend that I found very pleasing. This blend highlights the correct use of latakia. One of the very best blends available, I highly recommend this blend.

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)

The simplest way to put it for this blend is that it's Frog Morton's Cellar without the "cellar" -- ie. without the whiskey note.

Tin note gives a nice, smokey smell of latakia and that is what you taste when you smoke it. Not harsh at all. Some might find it too mild I suppose, but frankly, as one not looking to be punched in the throat by a blend, while also not wanting the "hot air" feeling that comes with some tobaccos, this one is quite pleasant.

While FMC is "smokey-sweet" this is mainly smokey with some subtle flavours from the other tobaccos in the blend.

Good solid blend. FMC is my top choice, but if anything every happened to that blend, I'd go with this one as a replacement.

Similar Blends: Frog Morton's Cellar.

Famous as it is, I must say it is not my cup o f tea. This reminded me somewhat of a very toned down Red Rapparee, the difference being, of course, that in Rattray's the sweetness comes from the natural sugars in the red Virginias, whereas in the Frog the sweetness comes from the artificially flavored Black Cavendish (Burleys, Iguess). If you fancy combining Captain Black (white) withe Latakia, well, there it is.

Pipe Used: Peretti, Parker Special Bruyer

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: N/A

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Love it! A real smooth latakia smoke that can be enjoyed all day. Reminds me of a real good single malt. Did not detect that McCelland ketchup aroma upon opening the tin. Really a nice room note that reminds me of a English library when one could smoke pipes while enjoying good literature. Don't know what all the fuss is about the picture on the tin...don't judge a book by its cover. A great smoke with no bite.

Pipe Used: Giuseppe Dublin

Purchased From: Barclay and Rex

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (35)

Dark brown and (predominantly) black. Smell: molasses. This is a smooth, medium strength, reasonably full-bodied, well-rounded latakia mixture, with hints of leather, molasses and especially blackcurrant. It is a beautiful smoke. I also love the label art of this and the other froggies, pace emmbee.

Pipe Used: Invicta Dublin (and many others)

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: The other Frog Mortons.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Update: This blend has grown on me tremendously over the past few months. After ditching cigarettes, my taste buds seem to be able to appreciate this blend without furiously puffing on it, which means there is absolutely no tongue bite associated with this blend. Very few mixtures have NO bite in my book (Old Joe Krantz, Gatlin-Burley, Carter Hall are the others), so that's a big plus here. Also, the taste seems to have improved, putting it at the top of my English rotation. It's nowhere near as complex as Odyssey or rich like Westminster or Penzance, but Frog Morton doesn't try to be like any of those. It's just a straightforward English that's easy to smoke and appreciate. As others have noted, this is perfect as an introduction to Latakia, but I'd go further and say this is also excellent for "experienced" smokers who can still appreciate something simple. My one complaint is that it seems to have close to zero nicotine, but others will probably consider that a plus.

Original review: On the one hand, this tobacco has a wonderful flavor and (for a latakia-based blend) a pretty good aroma. On the other, it's FAR too mild for me. Although this blend seems to be "bite free" for many smokers, I've roasted my tongue on it several times because the flavor is so weak that I end up puffing far too hard in the vain hope of actually getting a full-bodied taste from it. Also, there are far too many humectants (or something) on this leaf -- I've had one tin open for more than three months now and it's still overly moist. To be fair, though, I'll again emphasize how pleasant the taste is. The VAs are top-notch and possess a lot of sweetness, and the latakia is quite smooth. I mixed some FM with some burley and the batch is currently aging. Hopefully, the burley will give this tobacco enough "kick" to be satisfying while preserving something of the original taste. This is probably good for those who are just beginning to sample latakia and/or don't like much in the way of nicotine.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

One of the saddest days in pipe tobacco history-the closing of McClelland. Iconic Frog Morton. How we love thee. I’ve just opened a 2018 100g tin. Wonderful blend. Smooth, with its deep caramel richness, Smokey campfire Latakia, dark sweet stoved and lighter Virginia’s. Subtle Spicy richness. You shall be sorely missed. I will cherish these last 3 tins for as long as possible to savor on special occasions...or maybe not...so hard to resist. Thank you McClelland. One of the best in the world.

Purchased From: eBay

Similar Blends: None ranks it in its class, McClelland - No. 2040 Cyprian Mixture.

FreePancakesForAll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreePancakesForAll (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland’s Frog Morton. The O.G. of the series and probably the least talked about.

This blend is pretty damn fantastic. The tin note is a perfect balance of sweet, stoved virginias, smokey latakia, and a BBQ-esque top note (maybe from the latakia processing, maybe from natural preservative toppings. Some describe it as Worcestershire Sauce, but seeing as this blend is made in Kansas City and not the West Midlands, I’m inclined to go with BBQ. The virginias form a cavendish-like base of bready molasses while the smoky-sweet latakia is added with a light hand. Easy light, no bite, and desirable (to me) room note.

Drinking a Manhattan with this blend seemed to work out just fine. Great stuff.

Pipe Used: Peterson 106 Irish Harp

SkySoldier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SkySoldier (9)
Very Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Frog Morton is a favourite among pipe smokers and for good reason, its great! This blend has a lot of notes it borrows from English blends, that results in a very light but flavourful smoke. There really isn't much else to add that has not been said already. The blend has no flavourings to my knowledge and is just a good old fashioned straight blend. Buy it, you won't be disappointed!

Pipe Used: IMP Meerschaum

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

With stoved virginia, I thought I would really enjoy the original FM. Out of the bunch, I would put this one in fourth or fifth place. I just don't like it. I can see it's of typically high McClelland quality, though, so I'm gonna give it 2 stars instead of 1. Because I don't hate it. It just doesn't do it for me.

In the tin this stuff looks like a raving latbomb, with with a majority of black leaf present. Some of that is the stoved VA, some is latakia, but I believe a lot of is black cav. This would explain why even the latakia flavor is so subdued. I really can't even pick up on the VA. I get a subtle smokiness from the latakia, but it's overshadowed by an unpleasant sourness that I think comes from the combination of a topping and too much black cav. Either way it sort of ruins the smoking experience.

I respect McClelland and cherish many of their blends. This one needs to go back for reprogramming. Your tastes may vary. But my picks would be On the Bayou or Across the Pond before the original.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Frog Morton is a masterpiece blend. I am sure this will go down in history with the likes of Nightcap, Golden Slices, Royal Yacht, Balkan Sobranie...you get the picture. This is a truly masterful blend. I had Frog Morton proper after I had tried all of the other in the series. My favorite (I think) is the Cellar edition but it is so hard to say. Here is my review: The tin note is similar to other McClealland tobacco's you get the ketchup/Worcestershire but not nearly as prominent as other varieties in the McClellnd line. The tobacco is a beautiful black and red ribbon with that McClelland "chunkiness" to it The blend claims to be a Virginia and Latakia blend, but I would swear there were some orientals in here. Both the room note and the flavor tell me there are some incense like orientals in the blend, but maybe it is my nose and tongue that are off. This is a consistent smoke, it starts out with the vanillaish sweet caramel flavor profile with the latakia coming to the front and then slightly stepping to the side. throughout the bowl I kept getting the incense coming from my sinus' in both an olfactory presence and a taste. Very complex an satisfying. It was a cool smoke throughout and did need a few re-lights but not many. Disclaimer: I have been on a bender the last few weeks trying to nail down my " preferred flavor profile". I have gone through about 6 bowls a day of English blends from heavy Syrian Latakia blends to other latakia forward blends. Frog Morton (and the series ) keep coming to the top of my list. I could smoke this all day but would be hard pressed to give up my first smoke (Early morning pipe or Escudo...depending on the day). But this is a fabulous tobacco. Bravo Zulu McClelland, Bravo Zulu

Pipe Used: Karl Eric Freehand

Age When Smoked: 10year

grimstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimstuff (14)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A real mellow pleasure. When I want to just "smoke a pipe," I grab this. I don't have to think about what kind of experience or flavors I want, just a smooth, easy smoke to have while taking a stroll in the woods. It's well-rounded; no aspect of it overshadows another. While it hasn't elicited the best smoking experience thus far, it is probably the one tobacco I would choose if I had to.

Dark Passage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dark Passage (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is utterly nasty!

Actually, it's the flavoring I find intolerable, I might actually like it without the topping. I've always heard great things about this tobacco, so together with that the description and LOTR references I was really excited about trying it.

The first thing I noticed was a sweet and salty taste, along with a swampy sort of flavor which could really lead me to believe I had a frog stuffed down there in the bowl. Hmm, interesting I thought, and puffed on. But it kept not growing on me. The whiffs of actual tobacco I got from it kept leading me back into thinking that I'd eventually like it, so I smoked on for half a large bowl.

But what really turned me off completely was that after I put down the pipe I kept smelling this sort of pink bubble gum smell in my clothes. And it wouldn't go away. And the more I smelled it the more I just couldn't stand it. The smell just seemed more and more cloying and sickeningly fake and sweet. In an effort to wash clean of the smell I decided to wallow in some Mississippi mud, which helped, but that nasty smell just seems to keep hanging around.

I used to smoke flavored tobacco a long time ago, then I spent several years smoking cigars exclusively. Now I'm back into the pipe, and I am really not interested in flavored tobaccos at this time. But even when I did smoke flavored tobaccos I don't think I'd ever want anything that smelled like this.

With tobaccos I don't take a liking to I usually keep them around a while to see if later I end up liking them, or blend them together with something else to come up with something I like well enough. But I have no idea what I'm going to do with this. If I stow it away for a few years, will the nasty topping go away to the point where I can stand this?

Pipe Used: Large bowl, full curve briar

Purchased From: JRCigars

StogieBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StogieBear (18)

A great blend. Plenty of flavor but easy to smoke and on the mild side, good for smoking all day. Smoky, dark and only a bit sweet. It's got some tang, and there's something here that reminds me of cigars - call me crazy, but to me this tastes like a mild version of a Nicaraguan maduro. Whatever that is, I like it.

Pipe Used: Bent billiards

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I have been curious about this one for a long time. So many smokers swear by it and give it high reviews I really was expecting a solid addition to my cellar and a blend to smoke for years to come. I must say in my opinion this is a very overated tobacco. I found the smoke to be average at best. The top note is not something I like and the tobaccos never seem to really stand out or make themselves known, it was a bit boring in my opinion. I would compare the "sameness" of the bowl to be like a codger blend such as sir Walter Raleigh or Velvet. I like codger blends, I know they will be one dimensional and sweet. The difference is that I can get a tub of velvet for less than two tins of Frog. Now to each their own, what I love in my pipe others would hate-it isn't like there is a right or wrong on a blend, simply the smokers opinion and in my opinion this is a blend I will not buy again

Pipe Used: savinelli 606ks

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Pastor Puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Puff (15)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

I've heard a ton of good about this blend and have been excited to try this blend. I popped the tin, and the latakia hit me in the face. A very deep, campfire latakia smell. Not much else in the tin. It's a coarse ribbon cut, perfect moisture from the tin.

I packed this into a cob, and lit it up. And it's just another 'proper' english blend.. It's latakia forward, a little sweetness from the virgina and not much more.

If you like a proper english you'll like this. Not really for me.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: New Tin

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)

Holy hand grenades this was a great smoke. Not sure what gunpowder they use on it, but it was the first time I ever smelled a tobacco and my nose was hit with itchy little pops. Seriously, it was so tangy I almost coughed. This was not a bad thing, this stuff was just begging to be smoked. It was full force Latakia with something tangy on top.

Fired it up and was reminded of a drink I like (made with 1/3 Amaretto, 1/3 Bourbon, and 1/3 Rosie's lime), which tastes a bit like Sour Patch Kids. Now I'm not saying the frog here was that intense and I know it is not an aromatic, but think sweet and sour undertones.

One of my favorite blends to smoke is Sillem's Black which has a very similar palette, this one almost got the 4 stars, but was demoted to 3 as per my edit.

Edit: a few weeks after opening the tin, some of the punch fizzled and was not as fresh or interesting.

Similar Blends: Sillem's Black.

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Extremely Mild None Detected Full Tolerable

Every time I smoke this an annoying frog jump out of the bowl and scream "Hello, I´m a milder and somewhat poorer version of Pirate Kake".

This is not a bad thing though.

First, Frog Morton has so few nicotine that you can smoke it playing tennis or jogging, puffing like a steam boat, and suffer no nic kick. Really, I never get even close to sense any nicotine here! Also, there's no denial, you got lots of latakia flavor! Good quality, good tasting, intense latakia. But that's all you will get. And again, this is not a bad thing.

What is a bad thing for me is the cut, extremely irregular, with lots of sticks. Also, it is VERY wet. You can leave it airing, and still will remain wet and - what´s worse - sticky.

I would recommend this to someone who wants a latakia bomb without any nicotine content, or to any beginner who is wondering "what is latakia? I wish I could see clearly what it is".

Wīglāf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wīglāf (11)

Let me start by saying that now, every time I go to Barnes & Noble I do a double take when I walk past the children's section and see the frog that is painted on the wall. I think it is the same frog on the tin art of McClelland’s Frog Morton series! But what was he doing at Barnes & Noble? I highly doubt the namesake of this wonderfully balanced blend would be interested in such a poorly stocked history section. The one responsible for marrying McClelland's classic sweet, worcestershirey Virginas to just the right amount of smoky, leathery Latakia would never be contented with an over-roasted Starbucks coffee or an abridged version of The Brothers Karamazov! Do you want to know what I think? I think our crafty frog friend (possibly concerned for his brother Kermit, who up until he landed the stellar deal with ABC was down on his luck) was two hops ahead of a store that has resorted to selling knock-off iPad minis and Star Wars Legos. He was working under cover and lacing Macchiatos with what is easily one of the best blends I have ever had. Indeed, who, after having even one puff of this perfectly straightforward and iconic blend, who not mend their ways, cast aside their Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf, leave Barnes & Noble immediately, and patronize a self-respecting bookstore that stocks copies of Montaigne's Essays and more Reformation history than just Diarmaid McCulloch's bio of Cranmer. That's my theory anyway. The important thing is that I have Frog Morton--a simple, but wonderfully distinct blend--to smoke while I continue to ponder the mystery.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Duca Carlo

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Frog Morton is a very satisfying English. A naturally sweet Virginia flavor, with its usual nuances, is adorned with a bit of Latakia. The end result is a very mild and pleasant "light" English, similar to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, but with a much more discreet Latakia prescence.

For the rare evening in which a full bodied English is not warranted, Frog Morton will be a delightful companion.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been a pleasant smoke. It has stoved Virginias that dominate with a slightly heavy and sweet. There is condimental latakia and a subtle topping that I think is fruit. I was not just bowled over by this, but found it nicely balanced and easy to smoke.

The topping burns off in the first half of the bowl, and the last few puffs are a little ashy for me.

If you are thinking about trying latakia and don't want a bomb, this might be something to try. I think it is a little overrated, but I can believe some people like this more than I do. It is more of a 2.5 for me.

granvals Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
granvals (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Frog Morton... Well-respected, but often bashed for its mellow-ness on the latakia spectrum by well-seasoned Englishers. My first experience with Latakia was from a house blend coined Rabid Dog, so moving to Frog was almost a relieving experience for me.

The smoothness of this blend was startling - the spiciness I am so accustomed to was quite distant, but enjoyable as a garnish to the round sweetness of the Virginias. One of the few Englishes I have been able to retrohale freely. There is a mid-note to this blend that I cannot put my finger on, it is sugary but not something I would expect to find from Virginia. Nicotine content was very low. Dry on the tongue, that might be my only complaint for a blend that is so forgiving and humble. You definitely get a taste for the English palate in this blend; it would be great for smokers looking to wade into taking on more full-bodied blends of the like. Think of it as seeing the shore of "English Island" coming into to view. I quite enjoyed my first time with Frog by myself in the yard, but I see myself smoking this more regularly in company, as it is a great low-maintenance smoke.

So concludes my first review! Cheers all around, and happy smoking.

-J

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi Strawberry Tree Fiammata

Purchased From: Uptown, Nashville TN

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Mostly dark tobaccos in the tin with few lighter pieces. The smell reminds me a little of barbecue, but I don't realy mind that. I rather like it. Tobacco was a bit too moist fresh from the tin so I let it sit for around 20-30 minutes before packing it into the pipe. Packs very easily. Lights and stays lit without problems. Just a few relights throughout the bowl. Nice and cool smoke. No tongue bite. Very light on nicotine. The virginias are very sweet and latakias are not overpowering. Although there should not be any topping, but VAs seem to have something added. I really like the taste. This could easily be an all day smoke for me. The room note is very nice and not unpleasant at all. Tobacco gets a bit stronger at the end of the bowl. Leaves a nice grey ash in the pipe.

I would recommend this to any pipe smoker getting into English blends and Latakia tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Peterson XL12 (bent rhodesian)

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)

I don't have an every day smoke (cause I don't smoke every day), but this one could easily be it. Having had several great blends as of late, I was prepared for a let down on this one, but, nope, didn't happen. What a nice little blend this is—soft is right, I could smoke this stuff forever, and, just think, this version of Frog isn't even the highest rated (why not, I ask?).

Smokey latakia and soft smooth VA's. It lit well, wasn't overly moist out of the tin, stayed lit and fired down to a light gray ash. I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke and will be purchasing more. As others have commented, this would make a great introduction to English/Balkan blends for a newbie, or for perhaps someone coming from the aromatic side.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: 4 noggins

ZenLife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZenLife (2)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I know this one already has many reviews. But I don't see many from people, such as my self, who have never smoked an English blend before. Having only smoked Aros for eight years I finally took the advice of my local tobacconist and tried this Frog Morton. As I understand it, it is also often referred to as "Frog on a Log".

First I thought the tin note was that of "traditional tobacco". Turns out the aroma is actually from the Latakia, something I had yet to experience. Which as it turns out smokes much better than I had originally expected.

This tobacco is very light in nicotine making it a very good option for an all day smoke.

This being my first i counter with Latakia I could not have been happier. Even my wife, who tends to dictate what tobaccos I put into my pipes, enjoys the "campfire" aroma.

The smoke is very light and does not tend to linger.

Packing the bowl is also much easer than I am used to. It does not tend to expand as much as the Aros I typically smoke. And it burns evenly all the way to the bottom, often with only one or two lights, with out really heating the bowl. Also on that note I noticed I could puff on it like a chimney without suffering from a lava bowl or tong bite.

In short I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good introduction to an English blend. I can only hope it does not set the bar too high for all the others I am now excited to try.

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)

The original toad, refined as he appears, is good stuff. My tin was 2 years in the cellar, and to me the tin note was rich,.Lat-heavy, but lacking the distinctive MacCatsup scent one expects from McC. Earthy yes, but nicely so.

The cut appears a coarse ribbon, with larger chunks of stoved Latakia overshadowing blonde Vas. It seemed dry to me, which was perfect for the first few bowls but required hydration 1/2 way through the tin.

Tasty it is, the original...reminded me of a rougher version of Legends -a top 10 toby that one is! Some harshness, or perhaps -a missing roundness occurs late in the bowl. I find for me packing this tightly seems to slow down the burn, enhancing the taste.

Better to me than his trip to my stomping grounds down here, but not as good as when he's out in the Quarter, I still have 2 to check out. Kudos to McClelland on their entire Craftbury Collection, worth a look, all of them.

Pipe Used: Dedicated English midsized briars

Purchased From: P&C.com

Similar Blends: Legends derivative.

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I have been a fan of Frog Morton's Cellar for a while now and after reading the reviews I decided to give the original a try. It is a very mild tobacco with a HUGE Latakia hit. its a sharp Latakia with notes of cedar wood and other earthy tones. From what I gather, it is Latakia and Virginia however I did not detect Virginia at all in fact I think it is Oriental not Virginia (I could be wrong). Tin note: is mildly sweet similar but less intense then the Cellar counterpart but with the same WHAM BAM Latakia. Room note is great in fact it got a thumbs up perfect 10 from the wife which is almost unheard of.

for fans of Latakia this is a great blend (other than smoking pure Latakia)

Pipe Used: Peterson System Standard XL305, Savanelli 401

Similar Blends: McClelland bulk Latakia + McClelland blended turkish ribbon., Frog Morton's Cellar.

crackonosh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crackonosh (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, this is probably not very fair, but I am writting a review on 16 years old Frog Morton, acquired on eBay a few months ago. Maybe it’s the years of storage, maybe it’s all about the American type of blend, which is quite hard to get here in Europe. But this tin of Frog Morton is totally different from all English/Scottish/Italian/whatever latakia blends I have tried so far. Broad cut, very dark in colour, featuring rich and deep aroma, pleasantly salty and sour in taste. In fact, the taste is so unique, so incomparable to other latakia blends, that I plan to get as much as possible tins for storage.

Age When Smoked: 16

Purchased From: eBay

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

This was the 3rd latakia blend i have tried. The first being Dunhill EMP, the second Nightcap, then this. I like The EMP which is surprising because i smoke mostly aros. After that i wanted to try a full english blend so i got some nightcap and i liked that as well but can't smoke a lot at one time or it will put me out! Then i tried Frog Morton...... what a perfect blend! I can't leave this stuff alone. I am half way trough my first 50G tin and i have already ordered 2 100G tins. I find myself craving the sweet smokey flavor of this blend every day. Frog Morton instantly went straight to the top of my list of favorite blends, and will be hard to dethrone this one for me. I have a few other tins of different tobaccos i haven't even tried yet because i reach for this first. No matter if your an english blend person or an aromatic blend person this one is a must try!

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It is only out of respect of all the brethren that this does not get one star from me. Not that it really matters with nearly 250 reviews to date. I did not like this and this now makes 2 for 2 on frogs I don't like. (FMATP the other)

I think I just probably am not a fan of full english blends in general as I have yet to find one I really like. I also join the chorus lamenting the lack of nicotine with this and with McClelland in general.

The positive. The tin note is incredible. What do you get when you mix ketchup and smoke? BBQ sauce and this is exactly how it smells to me. I like this, several don't. It smokes slow and cool, perhaps cooler than any other smoke I have had. It is hard to even tell it is lit fromt he feel of the pipe. I imagine it would be hard to get a bite from this. Finally, the romm note. I had several people tell me they smelled nothing, which I take as good from a full english blend.

The bad. The taste doesn't do it for me. I find it just short of repulsive. I have yet to find anything from McClelland that isn't a straight Va that I like.

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Extra Strong

Good English blend, burn so nice. But smoking slow, because is a strong or you will be dizziness. People arround hate the smell that hangs on the air, i like is similar to benzoin herb, you know latakia almost never bite tongue.I Recommend always for Lovers of Latakia.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

This blend definitely hits all the right notes. I was surprised by how mild and smooth it was. This is definitely one to have on hand if your a fan of latakia, but are in the mood for something mild without sacrificing anything taste wise.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

Wow! This blend is --- excellent in every aspects: the name, the image on the tin, the story behind, everything. This is THE BEST L blend that I have had enjoyed. The full taste can calm me any time of the day. I smoked out my first 50 gram tin so easily and I have just ordered 2 tins of 100 grams of it. Just the idea that I could enjoy the blend bowl by bowl exites me already. A highly recommended 4 star blend!

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the very first blend I loaded into a pipe, and while I have since moved on to "harder" stuff, I do realize that my initial enjoyment of Frog Morton is probably solely responsible for my perseverence with the hobby. As such, it has a certain amount of nostalgia for me which draws me back to it from time to time. I well remember the smile that spread across my face and lasted throughout the entire first bowl. Whenever I feel the need to reminisce about that first experience, I pick up a tin. The first few bowls always remind me what a wonderful revelation this blend was to me. I moved to the pipe from cigarettes, and was quite shocked when I discovered, through FM, that tobacco could actually taste good. After the first few bowls, however, I remember why it's not in my stable regulars: mainly, after moving on to fuller blends, FM does seem like rather weak tea by comparison. I will likely always return to this occassionally, mainly due to nostalgia.

Still this a remarkably pleasant blend, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who is just starting out, or as a tame but tasty transition blend for someone curious about, but fearful of Latakia.

10/28/2004:I am going four stars on this one even though I am not completely taken with this one. It may be the only English style mixture I could sneak by the wife without her protesting the "stink" of my clothes. McClellands 2015 really got her protesting and if I can't smoke that and be in the same house this Frog Morton will due as a compromise solution. I will update this review later if this too is shot down! Anyway this is a good blend if you don't mind a little "nougatty" aromatic presence in your English. Your tongue kind of does do a "doubletake" on first puff, but hang in there don't dump it yet! It does taste a bit more traditional as the smoke progresses. I think this may grow on me as long as I don't smoke a straight English or Balkan immediately afterward.

11/16/2006 Update: An excellent introduction to blends that include Latakia. No longer in my rotation.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I remember my first tin of Frog Morton . I was new to Latikia, I think Crowning achievement was my first of this type and FM was next in line. It was January and my passion for the leathery taste of the new tobacco was at a peak. I smoked three tins of this in a row and I remember thinking I would never smoke anything else ! But by the fourth tin something strange happened. It was a though I had become immune. Suddenly it seemed bland and I decided to move on and I have never returned. I think I just over dosed on this very monochromatic blend but it was nice while it lasted. If you have never tried it you should , it?s still a very good memory for me.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable

I bought Frog Morton to try on the strength of some of the reviews above. Many people whose taste has guided me to very pleasant tobaccos have said that they like this blend. I do not. I am actually shocked at the divergence of opinion on this tobacco. De gustibus non disputandum, I guess.

On opening the tin, the tobacco is faintly damp and quite sticky. After it dries a little, it lights easily and smokes evenly. There is no bite at all, no matter how hard you puff. These are the good things about Frog Morton.

The taste has been called monochromatic by other reviewers and that is fair. But, I have seen many monochrome photos that I admire and enjoy looking at. Not so this stuff. The taste of Frog Morton is boring. It is like a latakia-spiked candy bar, sweet and sticky to the end. I will spend my time in the future with tobaccos that taste like tobacco, not with this stuff. If you enjoy Frog Morton, please go ahead. I won't be competing with you for the last tin of this on the shelf, that's for sure.

May 2010: I can only say that my opinion of this blend has not changed. It is heavily treated with things that make it burn steadily and taste syrupy sweet. I note that many of the positive reviews of this blend begin with "Well, I have never smoked a pipe before but I really like this one!" Nuff said. I am glad that someone enjoys this stuff. I don't.

Very Mild Very Mild Full Tolerable

Upon opening the tin I noticed the smell of vinegar. Then when I put my nose closer, I smelled latakia, and not much else. The tobacco is in long strands, so it was a bit of trouble to pack. Nothing terrible however. It was a bit moist, but it fired up just fine. It has a strong, smokey,slightly sweet flavor, with hints of chocolate. No bite whatsoever. It has a very mild nicotine strength. The flavor is a bit monochromatic to me. Towards the end of the bowl I notice the vinegar smell in the room note, as well as the smoke. I will finish the tin I have, but this stuff is just too plain for me.

Addendum: I have smoked this one a while now, and it has all the charm of vinegar soaked charcoal. Smoking it is a bit like kissing the bottom of my barbeque grill...

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: Very dark leaf throughout, with little variation from dark brown to almost dead black. Looks like Black Cavendish and Latakia, nothing else. Right from the can, it was more moist than I like. It showed no tendency to dry out in the air.

Aroma: Very smoky and somewhat sweet. I could not determine what aroma what present, but it is definitely an aromatic crossover.

Packing: Best done with a light touch, or it will not burn.

Lighting: Took flame well enough when packed properly, nohing unusual.

Initial flavor: Just like the aroma, the Latakia predominates, with a sweet background. Because of the flavoring, I don?t taste any Virginia or Turkish.

Mid-bowl: The flavor does not vary as I progress hrough the bowl. Monochromatic is one word word for it, BORING is another. It does smoke dry and cool, though.

Finish: Still boring, leaves a dry ash but also leaves its aoma in the pipe.

Summary: If you are looking for a crossover, then it would be worth a try. The quality is there, but it is just not my style.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: dusky, but with sweet overtones.

Physical Characteristics: a fine ribbon cut of mostly oily black pieces, with a ribbon of something slightly lighter, here and there. Packs easily. VERY moist. I let it sit opened for several hours before even attempting to smoke it, and have since found that opening the tin upon purchase and then going back in a week or so to smoke it yields the best results for me.

First Light: Yum. This is a good mellow English blend, in the best sense of the word. Strong Latakia flavor, but not overpowering. The Virginias are in evidence, but sublimated to the Latakia and Orientals, so no complaints from me. I will definately be smoking a good bit of this in the future.

Notes: Like a good virginia, and unlike a lot of English blends, the flavor at the bottom of the bowl is the real treat here. The flavor during the last third of the bowl is bursting with duskiness, and is as smooth and thick as a good single malt. The first two thirds of the bowl are extremely pleasant as well, sweet and with a decidely 'earthy', smoky flavor, the flavor that draws me back to 'English' blends over and over again. A bit lighter in texture than it's cousin, Frog Morton on the Town, and the two of them, alternated bowl for bowl, provide me with a full day of english smoking pleasure. I can see recommending this blend to aromatic smokers who are interested in sampling a good english blend. There is the faintest hint of a topping of some kind, though for the life of me, I can't pin down exactly what it is.

JohnH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnH (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was fortunate enough to get 10 tins of this in my cellar before production ended. I hadn’t smoked it for a long time so decided to crack a tin and right a review not realizing I hadn’t prior to this.

Now that McClelland is no more there has been a lot of chatter about replacement blends, particularly of the Frog Morton series. Whilst I dearly love all in the frog series there are equally as good if not better tobaccos still in production. But what this series in particular did so well for me that others don’t (especially this tobacco), was understated.

This tobacco is very subtle, I don’t mean light, lacking in flavor or other potential negative, I mean this as a compliment. I love big rich flavorful tobacco, but so few offer the subtleties and complexity of frog. It is a rich creamy smoke remarkably well balanced and entising, never boring or one dimensional, and always alluring. If you haven’t tried it and are able to, do! As I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. If you don’t have it and aren’t able to get any don’t despair, there is a host of other great tobacco that is equally as remarkable and more so, see my other ratings for recommendations.

Pipe Used: Tsuge

Theologia14 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theologia14 (17)

Frog Morton was one of those blends that I had heard everyone raving about and so I decided I'd give it a go. Initially, I was not impressed. I was expecting much more latakia flavor from the blend than what I got out of it. Upon opening the tin, you see an overwhelming amount of black flakes mixed in with some bright virginias. I was then overtaken with that McClelland Ketchup smell. That really surprised me given the amount of Latakia I saw in the blend. With a bit of air time, the latakia starts to become noticeable in the tin note. Moisture content was high so I let it air for quite some time. Again, my initial bowl was underwhelming. It seemed to be one note of bread and smoke but too light to really catch my attention. I thought I had wasted my money on this blend, but there was still more to smoke. The next go around I was a little more pleased. Maybe I was more patient with the blend and less distracted by other concerns, but I could get more of the latakia flavor coming through and a bit of sweetness that I wanted a bit more of in the blend. After several more bowls, I finally hit a stride with this blend and realized it was really an all day smoke that you shouldn't demand much from. You can pack it, light it, and go about your business. It lacks the punch and savor of an afternoon or evening pipe for me, but it can be great for working around the yard. However, the price point for an all day blend isn't what I would like to see, in my opinion you can fulfill that same role out of a bulk blend like C&D Yale Mixture for a much better price point. I will add, many people like the smell of this blend. That can make a world of difference for some people.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Danish Sovereign Zulu

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Cornell and Diehl Yale Mixture with a little more Latakia..

Dr.Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.Jones (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton is a rare blend. On the surface it has nothing special, a simple mixture or virginias and orientals (latakia?). When you inspect it it has the standard look, a predominance of darker leaf with some lighter virginia, with a somewhat coarse ribbon cut. The smell when opening the box is rather bland, you get a hint of the orientals, but it's not as strong as in other brands. There's also the infamous "ketchup" or "sauce" smell, but rather faint also.

So far, nothing out of the ordinary, nothing special. It has no trobule packing, a couple of matches to light and then the smoke. Oh! Now I see.

The taste is mellow, for a blend with orientals, it smokes easy and cool. It does have some of that earthiness and herbal taste, but very well balanced with the virginias. The nicotine hit is close to non existant. The taste remains consistent through the bowl, and the smoke is light, not creamy. The room note is tolerable, non smokers may complain a bit -it has oriental leaf after all- but not much, some will find it quite pleasant.

So far, there is nothing at all out of the ordinary, but Frog Morton is more than the sum of its parts: McClelland has found a balance with this blend, maybe because of the recipe, maybe because of the quality of the tobaccos used or maybe there are other factors.

The end result is a mixture that it's easy and very pleasant to smoke. It has just enough complexity to be a smoke for a special occasions, when you just want to sit down, relax and forget about the world, but is also mellow and light enough to be an all day smoke, you can fill a bowl and smoke it at any time. Try it, at worst you'll find a mellow blend that, while not bad, doesn't do anything for you, at best you'll find your new favourite, something you'll keep coming to.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)

This is my first blend from the line.the way the frog smokes in the tin appearance prepares you for an all day english blend and after trying this one out i agree!when the can opens a nice smell combined from smokey and sour notes comes out.the blend is mostly dark with some bright virginias present.the moisture is a bit more than proper so some drying time is needed.packing is easy and lighting needs some effort.several relights are needed.while burning the flavours are clear,natural and pleasing as the description promises.latakia are the main player giving smokey notes,coals,woodsy notes all these in a sweet mix.virginias support the flavours with some dark fruits,grassy and sour notes.the flavours are very balanced and rich.burns cool and slow with some moisture being created at the end of the bowl.the nicotine level is low making it an easy blend to smoke during the day but not a proper one before going to bed.the room note is tolerable for the wifes who can tolerate latakia!no chance of tongue bite.i wanna notice that this is my first Va/latakia blend and the luck of orientals gave a different dimention to the flavours.in conclusion this is an all day blend simple and rich,and a good one to enter the latakia world.the nicotine level could be a bit higher and still it would be an all day blend.

Age When Smoked: Dried out for 30 mins.

ExterminateWho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ExterminateWho (1)

I'm brand new to the pipe smoking scene, but so far from all the blends I've tried, this has to be my favorite one. I do taste the latakia but before that, the first thing I taste is this subtle sweetness. You can feel it on your tongue and even in your throat (I don't inhale, from retrohaling, I guess I should say back of your throat). It's this subtle sweet flavor, I can't quite put my hand on it. Someone here said rum or whiskey and I'm inclined to agree. Maybe. I am new at smoking pipe, so it's harder for me to point out certain tastes, but it has a nice toasty flavor as well along with a slight smoky pinch from the latakia. I can't really go into much further detail than that, but I'm definitely going to keep buying this Frog Morton. Next one to try is Frog Morton Cellar and On the Town.

Pipe Used: Cobbit Dwarf and a handmade bent briar

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Davids Tobacco and Gifts in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Similar Blends: Haven't smoked enough blends to know this. I did like it better than Dunhills Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap (the other two I tried along with Captain Black). I like the Dunhills, but the Frog Morton is on a different level for me. I also tried a heavy latakia blend and I have to say, I think I enjoy them quite a bit..

Cherry picker 1779 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cherry picker 1779 (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

was my first English blend. I really liked it. Coming from aromatics it was a change of pace and very alluring as I'd never had Latakia which turns out I actually love the stuff ( Latakia that is) fog morton original was , at that time , my favorite blend. But now having been around the block a few times in the neighborhood of true English tobacco , i just can not smoke the stuff anymore. I have a big ol jar that basically never gets dipped into. I have the entire craftsbury series and I gave away the fm cellar because I am not a fan of it. They all have the basic fm taste / baseline. And trust me, Aging doesn't do anything for this tobacco. Humectants / chemicals definitely at play. A Very monotone smoke. The flavoring must be added because it is so sweet that it turns sour to me. It just can't be all natural tobacco. I feel like it sours your pipe too. I once thought this was a 4 star tobacco. But to me I think it was a rookie mistake. Somebody else said they get the shivers when thinking about the chemicals and humectants in this. Your not alone man.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

What a great tasting Lat/Virginia blend. This is one of my most favorite blends. The taste is sweet hay, sweet wood smoke, plenty of that vinegary flavor and even a hint of barbecue from time to time. While it doesn't sound like vinegar would be a pleasing taste it fits right in this blend and enhances the taste. Very mild nicotine and burns fairly cool. This is not to be puffed but sipped and enjoyed slowly. Along with Boswell's Northwoods,Railroad Station and McClelland's great Scottish Woods this joins my favorite Latakia based blends. A 5 star smoke.......Oh hell a 6 star smoke!!! If you love Latakia heavy blends this is one of the best out there right now.

Pipe Used: Nording freehand

pylet2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylet2000 (33)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting blend. Definitely driven by the smoky latakia of English blends, but some very interesting contrasts to the age-old formula of latakia dominant. It smells smoky with just a hint of sweet in the tin. A little damp, and it tends to stay that way as it ages, but not in any sinful way like cheap aromatics. The smoke itself is cool and generally mild. I think of it as an English leaning merge between American and English tastes. Enjoyable most any time and in most any setting.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: new to well aged

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)

A pleasantly mild blend very similar to the Latakia blends of the late 40's and early 50"s. I would not be surprised is McClelland did, in fact, use one of the old master recipes from this time period. This blend when smoked gives off a lovely aroma of a study filled with musty leather bound books and a smokey roaring fireplace. Also, quite by accident, I discovered that a pinch of this with bowl of Dunhill Elizabethian Mixture makes for a very wonderful smoke. Very flavorful, very intriguing when mixed in this manner. I also find the ready-rub cut to be a refreshing change from the usual fine ribbon cut of today. A decent blend for the beginning English Blend smoker. Cheers

Pipe Used: Peterson Calabash & German Black Clay

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 Month

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Vintage English Mixture.

OffTheBooksBrewing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OffTheBooksBrewing (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh Mr. Frog Morton, thank you.

Like many others, McClelland's Frog Morton was my introduction into English Blends. Having smoked aromatics up until this point, the tin note struck me as a bit odd. Of course I've read a few of the reviews here on the website, so I guess I was a little prepared for the "Ketchup/BBQ" notes. Surprisingly, whatever impacts the smell, does not seem to impact the taste, or perhaps….that is what makes this blend so enjoyable.

The tobacco was ready to smoke fresh out of the tin. It lit easily and stayed lit for the entire bowl. The woodsy/campfire flavors kept me coming back for more. Finishing in a fine white ash.

If you are neophyte to English Blends or if you had a bad experience with them in the past; give the Frog a chance. He might just open you up to a whole new world.

Pipe Used: Long Champ

Duke_61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke_61 (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mild English blend that is quite forgiving to heavy hitters. It's sweet, creamy, smokey and leaves a nice aftertaste. Lights easily and burns well. Mild enough to smoke all day and has a very light nicotine hit. It's not complex but if you like a light Latakia blend, this one's for you.

Pipe Used: GBD Vase

Age When Smoked: < 1 year

Dottie Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dottie Warden (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, it's good.

This is only the second of the series I've tried and, like the Bayou, I burned through the tin with no hesitation. I find the Ketchuppy flavor to be inspired by that smoky flavor they put into the patties at Burger King. However synthetic, the product is smooth, easy to smoke, easy on the tongue, consistent, good burn quality and undeniably delicious.

Interestingly, this tobacco doesn't require jarring as it smokes well out of the tin and retains sufficient moisture for well over a month.

This is a must try for any pipe smoker with an adventurous spirit.

I certainly enjoyed it, but I think I'll stick with the FMOTB.

hiltanzil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiltanzil (7)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

This is the second tobacco from frog morton that i has smoked. When I open the tin, the Latakia Smell is come out, for my nose, i can't smell another. The cut is ribbon cut, a big chungky ribbon cut but easy to burn and pack. And mostly i see the dark latakia leaves with a little piece of virginia leaves. I think the proportion is 1:5 for virginia and latakia.

I always use 3 layers packing in my bowl. In my opinion, 3 Layers packing are the best way to capture the top, middle, and the bottom note.

The First layer (form Pre light to about 2/3 bowl left) it taste a mild sweet, very pleasant, if i remember it taste like a 5100 red cake, with the hint of latakia smell, and it never bite me whatever i pull the smoke.

The second layer (from 2/3 to about 1/3 Bowl left) The spicy and creamy taste of latakia is come out,, I very very like it and still smoked cool.

The Third Layer (from 1/3 to very little ash left) the spicy taste take the most of the note and i taste the hint of dark chocolate. And yet the smoke is still cool.

It is very enjoyable, a type of all day smoked tobacco blend. If you like enjoy the mild tobacco blend, so this is for you, i very recomend it.

Pipe Used: savinelli Punto Oro

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist Puff Puff Pipes

Similar Blends: C&D Mississippi Mud.

CubanPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CubanPiper (13)

I'm not sure about this tobacco. It tastes good, but I can't find a good way to smoke it. It always goes bad half way through the pipe. It keeps going out, and then, the good taste is there no more.

Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (17)

An unbelievable tobacco. Being a fan of straight Virginias and Aromatics most of the time, I can't really stomach the thought of smoking a latakia blend everyday. However, Frog Morton is the only one that could change my mind. I come back to it time and again. Great Blend and worth all the hype.

Pipe Used: Comoy's 190th Poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 1 yr old tin

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend is a very subtle English with sone sweetness in it. I used to enjoy this a lot before I went to the much bolder English/Balkans blends out there. For some reason,it burns terrible for me and leaves a goopy bowl like an aromatic. For a lighter English with this much sweetness,i usually just mix 1q to one of my stouter latakia blends.

Seasoned Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seasoned Puffer (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Latakia and Virginia without the Orientals----very nice mix! The Virginia is nice and dark with Latakia adding to the dark-looking blend. Aroma from the tin is pleasant---even my wife thought so. In smoking the first bowl, I was pleased with the burn---slow and very cool. The flavors intertwine wonderfully. Neither one overpowers the other yet you are quite aware of them both---well done! The room note is very nice. Taste, aroma etc. are all PURELY subjective so I will say that I enjoyed it but not as much as MacBaren's Vintage Syrian BUT this is a very nice, hassle-free non-biting smoke---give it a try. As for the tin decoration---good grief , we smoke what's in the tin, who gives a damn about external graphics; besides, the graphics are just fine as they are. If you like Latakia blends, this will please.

Pipe Used: Savinelli--old Alpha calabash

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

Purchased From: online vendor

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)

Slightly sweet and smoky with a leather like mouth fell. Burns cool with no bit. Boswell's Northwoods without the black cavendish. Kind of a bear to light at first but well worth the attempt.

10-22-17 I down to my last bowl of this. Sadly though it took me 2 years to get to my last bowl. Age does no good with this blend. It's still a good blend but I'm mostly likely not going to buy anymore. It's to mild for my taste.

Similar Blends: Boswell's Northwoods.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

The McClelland Frog Morton mixture is a deservedly popular crossover blend, a mixture of an English blend tobacco with clearly discernible latakia content plus an aromatic element. (OK, OK, I know that the term English blend as used in the U.S. is a misnomer, for the majority of pipe tobaccos-- much less all of them-- currently or previously manufactured in England do not have clearly obvious latakia content. Nevertheless the term English blend to denote a tobacco with a distinct latakia presence is so pervasive in the U.S. that I have utilized it anyway.)

Open the tin and you will find a predominantly black short ribbon and some rubbed out flake with just a smattering of brown flecks. Sniff it and you will discover an obvious latakia presence plus the characteristic acetic ketchup/Worcestershire sauce smell of McClelland Virginias. The overwhelmingly black mixture might suggest a tobacco with a huge amount of latakia, but the bulk of the mixture is in fact stoved Virginia. Whether this blackened Virginia has been pressed and fermented to the point that it is in fact Virginia black cavendish only McClelland knows for sure. I suspect it is indeed cavendish.

The tobacco is too moist upon opening, a characteristic of most tinned mixtures. I do not find it terribly difficult to light, but even when properly dried out I need some relights during the course of the smoke.

Once lit the latakia makes its presence clearly known, but this is much less of a latakia bomb than the predominantly black color might suggest. In fact I would rate the latakia presence as squarely between light and medium. The blackened Virginia does not have the grassy, citrus flavor of untreated Virginias, and the amount of unblackened tobacco is too small to give this note. The aromatic note is difficult to characterize. There is a note of chocolate, and maybe a touch of honey or molasses. But there is an underlying sweetness that I do not think comes from the Virginia component. Frog Morton may have a touch of sugar water.

Frog Morton burns cool, even when smoked when it is too wet. And it as free from tongue bite as any pipe tobacco you will ever smoke. The flavor is medium, and the crossover character delivers a pleasant smoke. The nicotine kick is very low, which may be good or bad, depending on the individual smoker.

The dreaded drowned campfire smell of latakia blends is not so pronounced as with many other pipe tobaccos. Nevertheless the room note will win no accolades from non smokers.

Frog Morton was developed with the aim of providing a latakia blend that performed admirably as an all day smoke with the intent that the crossover character would dilute taste overload. I really don't know if this is in fact the case. I vary my smokes, never using the same tobacco back to back, and seldom more than once in every five pipes. But with my varied style of smoking, I do find Frog Morton to be a very enjoyable mixture.

I use the pipes I reserve for latakia blends when I smoke Frog Morton. With my varied style of smoking in which the same pipe is used very infrequently for Frog Morton, I have no problem with the aromatic element ghosting the pipe. Used as an all day blend, Frog Morton might produce a ghosting problem.

The name Frog Morton remains a mystery for me. This particular tobacco has nothing to connect it to J.R.R. Tolkien. And the tin art looks like something pinned to grandmother's refrigerator door with a magnet. But Frog Morton the pipe tobacco is much better than its name or its tin art.

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (26)

When I first opened a tin of frogmorton the first thing that hit me was the immensely strong tin note virging on unpleasant, this was followed up by exactly the same experience upon lighting! Almost sour tasting! So it went into a jar for three weeks and as I'd bought 100g of the stuff I tried again! My perseverance had been rewarded and I have been left with a wonderful tobacco, the Latakia is there in droves but the sourness has gone, the smoke is cool and mellow leaving a wonderful after taste in your mouth, tongue bite nill & stays lit well.

Try it but my advice is give it some air first

Pipe Used: Petersons fermoy

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: 4 noggins

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I can only imagine what leather must taste like after smoking this tobacco. It has gotten tiring for me now that i have smoked more than two tins. And no longer enjoy it as I first did. However latakia in general is slowly losing its appeal for me.

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti

Purchased From: Cigar Bodega, Unionville Ontario

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I generally like McClelland tobaccos. This is the second in the Frog Morton series, that I have tried. The first was "Across the Pond". An excellent English. I gave it a 4. This one also gets a 4. A slightly different blend, heavy on the Latakia, but a relatively cool smoke. If you like Latakia, like I do, you're probably going to like "Frog Morton."

Pipe Used: Dunhill

LoneStar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneStar (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first experience with Latakia, or at least with something with any noticeable amount. I have read about it and had some expectations, and I enjoyed Frog Morton very much.

Upon opening the tin, I understood the McClelland signature smell. It was a bit like ketchup, maybe closer to white vinegar. Not terrible but not something particularly inviting. I found it to fade overnight, though. After the odor had dissipated the tin note was heavy, a little spicy or smokey too. You can tell it's English-ish but there is something a bit different.

The cut is nice, medium ribbon-cut, although some of the latakia I found to be a bit twiggy. The moisture content was a bit high, some frying time was necessary. I didn't dry it out as long as it actually needed, 30 minutes would have been a good amount of time.

It's easy to pack, tamp, and light. Mine was still bit moist so I had some trouble with the charring light and required a few relights throughout the bowl but that's nothing against Frog Morton.

The latakia is very pleasant, definitely not overpowering. Smokey, earthy, like burning dirt on campfire wood... but in a good way. This was my first latakia blend and I had no trouble with it. There is a very light sweetness. I can't speak to the topping that may be there because my taste isn't that distinguished yet!

There is some nicotine but not much, this surely would be good for an all-day tobacco. Although passers-by may not like the campfire as much as you do!

Pipe Used: Ben Wade briar poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh, one day

zooey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zooey (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a solid, steady blend. Has sweetness from the Va's and the Lat is there throughout the bowl. There may be a very small additional sweetener, but not much, I tend to be very sensitive to additives (can't deal with any kind of chemical taste) so if there is any added flavor it's lite. To me this is a medium, simple english, not very complicated nor meant to be. Good mainstay blend, highly recommend!

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: fresh to 2 yrs

Purchased From: various sources

Mike from NJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike from NJ (2)

I normally smoke straight English blends. I decided to take a chance on this based on some reviews. This blend in not overly strong and really reminds me of a Balkan blend. The whiskey or sucralose, cannot really distinguish the topping, is not overly strong and adds just the right amoubt of sweetness to the tabacky. Very enjoyable blend. Will be ordering another tin of this for certain. No tongue bite is a nice plus!

Pipe Used: Nording something or other

Purchased From: Cigars and Pipes

Similar Blends: Mild Balkan blends.

Prof Korn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prof Korn (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Easy. Beautiful Latakia brings a woody, nutty fullness. Smooth and creamy. Very well balanced. The Frog will be too weak for some, but no one can deny its quality as a mixture. Personally, it is my favorite blend. Morning noon or night, I have to justify loading my furnace with anything else.

Purchased From: Tabacco shack Mt airy

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

A good dose of latakia! I tried this one a couple of years ago and didn't care for it. But, as I have continued to try English style latakia blends, I find myself going back to it again and again. I just finished a bowl to write this review, and I'll tell you, I'm sold on the Frog! Pleasantly balanced with just the right amount of latakia and a clean flavor that let's the "peaty" smell break through. Of all the English smokes I've tried, I like this one best. I'll keep going back to the frog when tired of the aromatics. Excellent smoke!

Pipe Used: Brebbia Noce Dolce

Age When Smoked: 2 years cellared

Purchased From: Local Pipe shop

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

My tin is dated 2012 and opened about 5 months ago. It's relatively wet but the upside is it ain't get dry after tin opened. Light sweet English with delicate latakia flavor and I think it very suitable and smooth for anyone wants to try English blend. However, for a seasoned English/Balkan piper, this is a little too light. All frog morton series tastes in similar strength with a little differences. Although I only can give them maybe 2 and 1/2 stars, they are good for beginners.

Pipe Used: Brebbia 9mm bent brandy

Age When Smoked: 2 years or so

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a bad blend. Has a nice flavor. Could use a little more latakia and nicotine. Cellar and On the town a little better, but this is better than across the pond.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smells like tangy BBQ brisket! Peppery, smokey, so good and delicious. It was my first non aromatic blend to try. Tin smelled so distinct when I smelled it for the first time. It was awesome! Smooth and cool smoke - I find it doesn't change from beginning of bowl to end which is nice. However, I do prefer FM Cellar now over this one.

update love this one just as much as cellar. This one is so smooth. Yum

Pipe Used: Peterson billiard

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (18)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend hardly needs another review but here it is anyway.

I am about half way through the tin (50 grams) and it has been open for about 2 months. The moisture level was moist upon opening. It really hasn't dried much at all in that time (propylene glycol anybody?). It still smokes well though, if needing a few relights. The flavor is pretty much just latakia though you can tell it is being mellowed out by the other leaf.

I have also smoked on the Bayou and Cellar and for me, this comes in second place. It is a good mellow smoky, well smoke. I kind of wish I had tried this one first before trying the others though, just so I had a point of reference (I was still pretty new to lat blends at the time).

I give it a solid 3 stars. I can't give it higher though because, for a latakia mixture, there are betters out there. Boswells Northwoods, And Blue Mountain Pipe Tobacco are similar blends but better than this one. It is a bit too mellow and balanced for my taste. The orientals in Blue Mountain add spice where this blend starts to lose flavor past the middle of the bowl. Northwoods sits a bit heavier on the palate and has more earthiness.

That said, I DO like this blend a lot and for me the smell of this is really nice (I doubt a non-pipesmoker would like this but it really is a nice fragrant latakia mixture. It just isn't good enough to hit that 4th stat.

Pipe Used: Savinelli bent Dublin, T. Machelli Poker

Similar Blends: Savinelli dublin, T. Machelli Poker, Hackert Apple.

TexasPipeGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasPipeGuy (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My 1st smoke after giving up the hobby many years ago due to my lack of knowledge of pipe tobacco availability. I was smoking the Captain out of a Dr G. It was less than pleasant. I just recently became interested in giving it another try. So I went to the local tobacco shop and after reading reviews decided I wanted to try this stuff as it was not an aromatic, which I associated with tongue bite. ( I have now found a few aros that do not bite). Anyways, this tobacco was a great re-into to pipe smoking. When I opened the tin I was quite nervous about my purchase. The tin note is very strong and I just though oh man, if captain bit my tounge, this is going to nuke it. But I said what the hec and gave it a go. I was pleased to find the opposite true. Great smoke. Nice and cool with no bite. Great flavor. A little strong on the room note to smoke inside but it is not horrible.

Pipe Used: Nording Bent

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: The Briar Shoppe

Malus Rex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Malus Rex (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Perhaps what stands out most about this blend is the balance. A well rounded blend with character. Personally, I found this another great blend for developing my palate. As I would contemplate this complexity of each draught I could easily pick out the notes & melodies this little frog was singing to me. Yes, I was introduced to the distinct "ketchup" odor many have described but not deterred.

I did find that packing this slightly looser than other blends did help the over all burn quality & flavor development through the bowls. Also, I found that it smoked better in straight billiards compared to my preferred bent bulldogs or rhodesians. Lighting was easy & quick since this was a little drier in the tin than most blends I've smoked to this point. Enjoy this slowly & savor it with all the good things in life.

Pipe Used: briars, & meerschaum

Purchased From: local tobacconist shop

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (49)

Nuff is said about this outstanding wonderful blend. The only thing about it I don't like is the tin smell. Even this one has a hint of the ketchup aroma all McClelland blends have. But this may be the only negative if at all. Also it may be a little bit too lite for my taste, not suitable for an evening smoke, but perfect for an everyday smoke. Every time I smoke it, it's awesome.

I recommend this to everybody. Try it, you can't go wrong. You'll be returning for some more.

Pipe Used: Briars

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I really tried to be unmotivated by the packaging for this blend, but even if it did contribute to the positive bias I have for this blend it in know way makes this any less of a quality tobacco. This is a really great English blend and always leaves me satisfied. This was my "Damascus Road" tobacco; That turning point in a lot of pipe smokers career were you make that permanent transition to English over Aromatics. Well, maybe not entirely, but it is some great tobacco. Give some a try.

Pipe Used: Brog Bulldog, Savinelli Baronet EX

Age When Smoked: Not aged

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

zachchandler92 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zachchandler92 (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is proof that you need a good pipe to fully appreciate a blend.

Tin note: Typical English smell and McClelland vinegar.

Room note: definitely English. Not a real crowd pleaser.

First light: mild, light campfire taste

On the re-light, the flavor definitely picked up. Very full mouth feel. Doesn't bite, but not what I'd call a cool smoke - even in a churchwarden.

Overall: a good, solid English blend. Taste is pretty ubiquitous, but the mouth feel is really what makes this stand out.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

Frog Morton was the first English style blend I enjoyed. There is quite a bit of smokey Latakia flavor without being overwhelming. I found this blend to need a bit of drying or it could be a little rough on my tongue. If you want just a bit more strength and flavor try From Morton on the Bayou. As far as I can tell, it is the exact same blend but with Perique. I've tried all of the the 'Frogs' and find them very similar.

The bottom line is that this probably won't appeal to long-time latakia fans who are looking for a complex smoke. If you're looking for a simple, all-day, English style blend you should try one of the Frog Mortons.

Kevfoong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevfoong (6)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the 2nd Frog Morton I tried. I can't tell the difference between Frog Morton & Frog Morton Cellar. Both taste the same to me and I like it both very much. Will try out other series of Frog Morton as well as I believe they won't let you down.

Currently I have burn down 25g, will get another tin for sure.

Cosmicfolklore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cosmicfolklore (5)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the first of the Froggy series that I've tried, but of all of the other Englishes that I've tried (which isn't too many)the latakia in this one is different (and I assume this is where the bbq flavor some have mentioned comes from). I do enjoy this one when outside in the garden or out fishing, so the little ladies don't run me out of the house with brooms or frog gigs. Definitely a mix that will earn you a little respite from the non-pipers. My dog even looks at me funny when I kick out the first puff. I will keep smoking this, and think about it a little more...

ascbear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ascbear (3)

I tried all 5 Frog Mortons. I could not tell much difference between them. I really like the original Frog Morton (this one).

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Fantastic. I know have two tobaccos I can stock all the time...this and Presbyterian. Fantastic Latakia blend that is smooth AND sweet. It has the punch of stronger blends with the sweetness of a straight Virginia. Unbelievable blend. A masterpiece!!!

ScottishPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottishPiper (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What more can be said than: WOW. Absolutely amazing blend, so smooth and sweet. Superb crossover blend.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)

Another non-aromatic standard that must be tried. Even though this is listed as a full latakia mixture, I am not sure that is appropriate. What I find is a very pleasant light English blend with depth - for lack of a better word. If you love your latakia, then this blend will be perfect to start the day, full of intrigue and rich enough to keep you coming back. Just got another two tins to be sure..

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I bought a tin of this, along with some Squadron Leader about a year ago for a first taste of an English blend. The first time I tried it, I didn't very much care for it.

Opening the tin, it smelled like smoky BBQ sauce. Fairly pleasant I suppose, but not what I was expecting a tobacco to smell like.

The taste was smooth, maybe even a bit soapy? Smoking it from a pipe that had never been cleaned with soap by the way. It just reminded me of soap, or some fragrance or something like that.

Tried it again just a few minutes ago and enjoyed my bowl. I still prefer aromatics at this stage, but this wasn't bad at all. The room note, as you'd expect is not that great. It would not pass the wife test. She would tolerate it, but not really like it.

I smoked this once in my shed, and for the next few days, the lingering smell of it wasn't very pleasant.

I'll finish my tin, but I may not be quick to buy more of it. Probably my English blend of choice right now, but again, I prefer aromatics.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great Va/Lat smoke,extremely cool burning , mild and easy on the tongue, nicotine is on the light side and theres a little dottle left when you finish the bowl , but its a great tasting blend with an outstanding interplay of sweet/smoky flavor!

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I have a new best friend and his name is Frog Morton :) Tin notes is fairly strong, but in a pleasing way. Upon lighting, the first thing that hit my tongue was an almost salty taste--very nice. The room note is medium-strong without being offensive. Froggy leaves a slightly salty aftertaste that seems to fit how it taseted. This will be in my rotation from now on. I just wish they made it in 1/2 pound or even one pound tins.

Callback Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Callback (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My new favorite. Great smell when I opened the tin, better as I smoked. If you like Latakia you will definately like this blend. Very pleasant room note. I would recommend a bit of drying time before you light up.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a great latakia blend. You honestly can't go wrong with the Frog. The blend is had some heft to the leaf so you can't really pack it well in a smaller pipe, this is meant for a medium to large pipe.

This blend burns cool, and you taste just tobacco and it has nothing fake in the 'baccy, casing wise. The tin-note is just a good earthen aroma of nice latakia. It smokes down to the heel with no wet dottle.

Another winner from McClelland in my pipe cellar.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

FM was always one of those blends that I never did get around to trying and that everyone always talked about. Well... I can see why they did.

A more "simple" blend, consisting only of Latakia (a healthy dose) and Virginias. Smokes cool, burns well, and is most satisfying. Really good smoky, earthy taste, coming from the Latakia of course, but cool at the same time.

I would say this is a very user friendly blend that one really can't go wrong with. If you haven't tried this blend yet and you even sorta like English/Latakia blends, I can confidently say that you are missing out on a good thing.

Most highly recommended.

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)

Great tobacco here. Love the presentation of the tin, and especially the little drawing of Frog Morton. Overall glad to have purchased it (also purchased the Across the Pond version of the Frog).

As noted, presentation is pretty good. I like the illustration, but I'm not wild about these tins with the plastic lids and all. I rather prefer the sort that have metal lids and a vacuum seal rather than plastic and a metal seal. But oh well. The stuff is loose in the tin, so it's almost like a little jar, and it's a real course cut, but I like it. Fantastic aroma! I love a good Latakia, so this one is just great. Packs pretty easily, although it can be a bit tough to get that perfect balance of loose at the bottom and then tighter as you go up. Not bad though.

The smoke is so COOL with this stuff! It's unreal! I like to let a bit of smoke drape out of my mouth and into my nose, and this stuff never even tingled my nose when I did that. No moisture release at all, just cool burning, no matter how fast I smoked it. I wish McClelland would teach everyone how to make tobacco burn so cool. The taste is gentle yet bold Latakia and just very creamy and tasty. I really enjoy smoking the Frog. I have an issue with the nicotine content though; it's far too low for an English. Why is Dunhill the only company that understands how to put some nicotine in a mixture. Peterson does in some of theirs, but Dunhill is nice and stout. For instance, I would smoke McClelland's AM Pipe over EMP by Dunhill on occasion if it weren't for the weaker nic in the AM Pipe. Maybe this isn't a big deal to some, but I like my tobak to have a bit of a punch, and I generally find that a lot of blenders just fall short on the nic.

Sorry for the mini-rant about nicotine content there, this is really a very nice tobacco. I think that I will keep this on hand from now on just to prove people wrong when they talk about how they don't like Latakia. Someone tell me please, what is not to like about Latakia? I think it's great, and so is the Frog.

EDIT: I'm going back through my reviews as my tastes change and develop, and this one is getting bumped down to two stars. Not that it isn't good, it's very good. It's just not a special tobacco, in my book. Very smooth, cool burning, well-behaved smoke, but basically, there's too much other good stuff out there for me to want to buy this one again.

Krosham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Krosham (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that has not already been said? Read about it. Had to try it. Tried it. Loved it.

I favor stronger English blends so this does not exactly scratch my itch but the flavor (however mild) is well balanced and spot on.

English 101 (the tobacco not the language) for Aromatic smokers.

A cool, easy smoke. Love the tin too! Going to try FM Bayou next!

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the result of my first tasting, only have smoked three bowls so far. I immediately understood why many love this blend. It is not the ultimate English blend but it is very good. I have a preference for English/Balkan blends and quite like it. Would recommend it to flake or aro smokers curious about Latakia dominant English blends.

For me, the sweetness of the Virgina matches perfectly with the smokey spiciness of the Latakia. This is mild enough to be an all day smoke but full enough not to disappoint most people.

Addendum: I've finished the first tin now and I like the Frog even more than when I first got it. I must get more, immediately.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Unique. A pleasant mild somke that i somtime crave. Good stuff.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

i like it---the first "English" that i truly enjoy--easy light and keeps on burnin'-i will be stocking this one for the long haul, along with my usual complement of burley--

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Over promised and under delivered again. Like smoking hot air with a whisper of latakia. There are much better English blends out there to waste much time with this stuff.

I am a heretic I'm sure. Everyone seems to love this stuff, but I am convinced that it rates highly from pure peer pressure than anything else. Cheers!

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)

Man, I love this stuff! The Latakia is pronounced but not overpowering. I don't get any sweetness, really--just cedary, smokey flavor and aroma. It reminds me a bit of riding through rural Ireland smelling that wonderful peat moss that is burned for fuel. There is a warmth to this pipe tobacco that I really enjoy. It burns evenly and consistently. The flavor is steady too. It's definitely an English blend, but not a strong English. I look forward to trying the other Frog Morton blends.

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

A high quality blend with perfect balance. Never bites no matter how fast it's smoked. A little light on N, so smoke a second bowl back to back if you need N, it's an all day smoke. I find myself reaching for this in the AM, it really starts the day. The flavor is more sour than sweet with a mild latakia smokieness. I feel there are some orientals in this blend even though they are not listed. Hard to initially light and I find it goes out very easy. I like this and FMATP the best over the other two Frogs. Will keep in stock and smoke a bowel of this a day.

Updated 8/5/11: I'm disappointed by the intensity of the flavor, the cut and the "N" level of this tobacco. The tobacco just doesn't bring a lot of flavor, it's there, but not in your face. The chopped flake cut is very difficult to keep lit, it falls out of the pipe in hot embers and requires constant tamping. the tobacco is just too mild and between the re-lites, it just requires constant attention. I tried this against a back to back comparison of Balkan Sasieni, which I find the flavors similar ( even some Deartongue), and found the Sasieni beats the FM in every category , even price. I have to agree with some of the reviewers, "not complex". Think of the space shuttle, "blasting off but never lifing off" I have reduced the rating by one star.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Full review pending when I've sampled more tobaccos.

Do I taste some Black Cavendish, or is it just me? It doesn't say there's any in the description, but I swear I get hints of it.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Delightful!!! The best way I can describe this blend. Tobaccos are sweet and play well together. A Good bit of latakia is present, making it a rich and smokey blend, but the virginia's help balance it out giving it an amazing sweetness. I find a bit of nuttiness in the background with this blend, which I have found is a key component of all of my favorite english blends.

Tobacco Appearance: Ribbon of dark tobaccos with a few hints of brighter leaf Aroma in tin: Smells sweet and smokey - Campfireish Room Note: Sweet & Smokey - hint of campfire

Pipe Used: Bulldog, Poker, Billard, corn-cob, churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Some fresh from the store, others aged 1-5 years

Purchased From: P&C.com, Smoking Pipes.com, Morgan Hill Wine & Cigar Shop

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - Crown Achievement, McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series), Hearth & Home - Fusilier's Ration (Marquee Series).

mu2freighter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mu2freighter (2)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Awesome stuff! The four stars are deserved for the taste alone, the only thing I would change is it's a bit light on the nicotine, and I'm a nic junkie. This and McClellan's Three Oaks Syrian are my favs for the consistent 'OMG that's yummy' factor, every single time.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been wanting to try this blend for quite a while now. This is a wonderful blend that I would recommend to any fan of English tobacco. Well balanced and never disappointing. Perhaps not particularly pleasant to bystanders but quite pleasant to the one smoking. Highly recommended.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is another one of my favorite English blends. I finally got around to trying it last Fall amongst a time when I was mostly smoking VA's. I found it especially enjoyable for those late night smokes in the winter with some kind of fall or winter specialty beer to accompany it. Smells so unique when you crack the tin, I love the smell of Frog Morton, and then when you light it up, oh so nice! It has that nice campfire English blend smell but then with this extra sweetness, this nice complementing flavor that comes alongside the typical English. This is one of my favorite of the milder English blends, I would surely call it a masterpiece!

Bigpumpbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigpumpbob (1)

This is one of my Favorite Blends, I smoke this Daily. I highly Recommend that you give this a try if you enjoy a good English.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I couldn't taste anything but the Latakia which would have been alright if I had ordered a tin of straight Latakia. The blend behaved well and I would rate it higher if I hadn't been disappointed with the taste. I do not blend my own baccy but I suspect that a mix of straight Latakia and a bit of Virginia would give the same result.

My wife threatened to beat me vigorously about the head and shoulders if I ever smoked this stuff in the house again. This blend is not worth having to tolerate her prune face everytime I light it up.

Presbyterian and Margate are much, much better.

ketozen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ketozen (1)

First, I have been smoking aromatics for years, all of a sudden I find myself looking for something more. I am know venturing out into new fields trying blends that I would have never touched in the past. I find this blend extremely pleasing, it is a relaxing smoke. I will be adding many many tins to my cellar. This is my new favorite for just relaxing.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

I didn't care for this the first couple of times I smoked it. Tastes like Latakia, Oriental, and frog. Against my better judgement, I kept smoking this one.

This one is quite sweet: an all-natural Virginia-Latakia sweetness, especially in the first 2/3 of the bowl. And I'm a sucker for sweet tobaccos.

It's growing on me. Before long, I'll probably change it to four stars and be hooked, or should I say gigged.

Scores high on the wifeometer as well.

This is among McClelland's best.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not going fancy with this review, Frog Morton is a fine smoke. If you enjoy Presbyterian Mixture then you will enjoy the Frog.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a great mild blend with a smokey smell, but a sweet taste, that to me wasnt smokey in the way that Three Oaks Syrian or Billy Budd are. It was a great smoke. Im gonna buy more.

JustPlainChris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustPlainChris (12)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a confirmed lover of "English" style blends, I was a bit leery to try this at first.

McClelland produces, in my opinion, the finest natural virginias available and I had doubts that they could do a better job with an english blend than say, Butera, or Ratrays.

Boy was I wrong!

PLEASE don't take away from your review of this product because "it didn't taste like Penzance" or "it didn't have any of the Turkish or Oriental tobaccos in it."

This is EXCELLENT, matured McClelland Virginia leaf perfectly blended with a goodly hit of high quality Latakia.

Period.

No more, no less.

And it ROCKS. I could not believe how TASTY this blend was! Upon lighting, you get the expected smoky hit of Latakia. Soon after, you also get the flavor rush of a good, matured Virginia. Lacking the Balkan style leaf, there is no "creaminess" one often associates with Balkan blends, but this is a good thing for those looking for a different tasting "English" in a crowded sea of already great English blends.

If you like matured Virgina sweetness and the smoky, tasty note of Latakia, you will absolutely love this blend.

It is so sweet, so cool, so flavorful...

Do me a favor and try this in a freshly cleaned and sweetened pipe, a new pipe, or in a new cob. You'll see what I mean!

2 tins down, and I am loving this more and more.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Kashmir covered it well,not much to say except it's a great blend! A nice replacement for Lane's HGL.

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Frog Morton blended by the McClelland Tobacco Company is really one of my all time favorites. It is a Virginia / Latakia blend, and as far as I am concerned McClelland really "owns" Virginia tobaccos in all of its manifestations. I love the deep sonorous bass note of the Latakia, which is provided in abundance, and this really travels well with the sweet Virginias. Although slightly moist it dries out readily if one lets the can sit open for an hour or so. It burns very well, producing a fine grey ash, and travels well down the bowl as well. Towards the bottom third of the bowl, the blend really comes into its own, as the Latakia takes center stage, with the sweet backdrop of the Virginia in the wings and sipping comes easy. I highly recommend Frog Morton as a delicious and deeply satisfying smoke! I only wish they sold it in bulk or at least in 7 oz. cans. Cheers and happy smoking.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this blend a few years ago on a whim. I put it in my cellar and pretty much forgot about it. when I finally opened it, I instantly fell in love with the tin aroma. I'm a big fan of full flavor aromas from english blends, but my poor girlfriend thought it smelt like burning tires. Lighting up, I thought the taste to be perfect...I liked it so much that I had to keep from over puffing. Thankfully this blend doesnt bite, in fact, I cant think of a cooler smoke from pipe tobacco...you couldnt get bitten if you tried!! which surprised me because the tobacco in my tin was soaked...I left it open for two nights, and while it did dry some, it still seemed very moist...I braced for the toungue bite that never came. I agree that there must be a topping on this, though like others, I have no idea what it is...regardless it is very light and barely noticeable. My only complaint is that it seems to lack in the nicotine dept...though this probably makes it a great all-day smoker. other than the nicotine content and my girlfriend's insistence that I open a window, I found Frog Morton to be a pretty darn good smoke. I'll give this 3 stars.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one sat tinned in my cellar for over two years. All I can say is SUPERB. No bite. The sweetness of Virginia comes right off the top, rounded out with Latakia that is noticeable, but doesn't take center stage.

Highly recommended for those that are looking into crossing over from aromatics to English/Oriental blends.

You will not be disappointed with this one!

Most people describe FM as a "mild English" mixture. Maybe the tin I smoked had been cellared for a few years, but I've found nothing "light" on this blend. The only thing that I, as an English smoker, sometimes missed was an extra Orientals taste: Frog Morton lies heavily on Virginias and Latakia. In fact, the frugality on Orientals makes FM more similar to Commonwealth Mixture than to an average English mixture, but the McClelland's thing has nuances and a depth you won't find in the SG product.

To me, the best of the Frog Morton line. Definitely a keeper.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

In a word...GOOD!

I am an English fan and usually like strong English blends, but there is something about this one as a "medium" that I really like! Will always keep some of this around!

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Open up the tin and you're greeted by your old friend Latakia, overly sweet aged Virginia ( ketchup aroma ), smoky, earthy, wet hay, dusty barn aromas balanced against the sweet grain of the Virginia and the abundant, smooth, smoky creosote odor of the Latakia.

Light it up, a delicious, mild, very sweet and smoky English blend. The light sweet casing doesn't mask the fine tobacco flavors underneath, in fact it seems to showcase the flavors of the tasty Virginia and the sharp Latakia. A descent helping of that Latakia brings smooth, tangy mildness and a middling nicotine kick. Virginias haunt the background with sweet, cereal tones and the hay-like scents.

Tasty - pleasant - cool - a perfect anytime smoke - a winner for sure. The first flavored tobacco I've tried where the flavoring seems to improve the blend. Delicious and satisfying, a must for my favorites list.

Kahlenz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kahlenz (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild "beginner's" English style with adequate latakia content. Somewhat sweet tasting, suggesting Virginia (with perhaps some stove cured VAs and I'm guessing cavendish in the mixture). Smokes cool and dry, and is very forgiving of incessant puffing. Leaves a cool, almost menthol finish (a little like Gawith 1792 flake, which uses tonquin as a flavoring agent). Overall a satisfying smoke, even if a little low key. Big Latakia lovers will be looking elsewhere.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

Man, does this stuff stink straight out the tin or what? This is my first Frog Morton blend. Though I wasn't sure how to take it due to the tin aroma, my first bowl was very good. It's a beautiful blend of tobacco. I've placed the tin in a mason jar and am going to let it sit for a week then go at it for true. I'll let ya'll know what I think...

Update: This is a very mild, smooth, light English. I find it to be a little like MB's Solent Mixture without any bite whatsoever. I agree with those who say it's a great starter for those looking to try an English.

Enjoy!

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

As an aromatic smoker for over 20 years, I am finding myself drawn into the English/Latakia/Oriental camps. Frog Morton has become a staple for me Gently sweet, not overpowering, easy on the tongue and flavorful, this one is a real winner. Better than Pease's Westminster or Mltese Falcon. I am keeping this one in my rotation.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Frog Morton could be a great belend. What kills it is the preservative they use. If the people who manufactue Frog Morton are listening: drop the preservative; please. I was so interested by the concept of Frog Morton I decided to make my own. T ook Lanes RLP6, added about 10% Perquie and 40%latkia; mixed it by hand and used my vaccume sealer to can it in a Mason Jar. Waited a year and it was great. Try it side by side and see if you like it.

ERader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ERader (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that has not already been said. VERY nice blend one of my top choices. It is an easy smoke. Takes several lights to get the fire going but once lit it burns very nicely. I will buy more!

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I've heard so much about this tobacco (line) that as soon as I saw it on the shelf in my "local" tobacco shop I "had" to buy it. To be honest I was disappointed. It is not "bad" tobacco but it is not what it is cracked up to be. To be honest, it's not any better than Tinder Box's Philosopher. Just doesn't have the punch I expect from an English blend. This is the most mild English blend I've had to date. Try it you may like it but I can't give it any higher recommendation than somewhat recommended.

Dave_in_desert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave_in_desert (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One word sums this one up...Wonderful! It will always be on my shelf and in my bowl.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

Rather than my usual somewhat verbose review, I will simply state this a a fine blend for the middle of the road or beginner English smoker. I see some here have noted its aftertaste. I liked the aftertaste myself - it extended my enjoyment. After smoking a bowl I look forward to my next one - that's a good indicator for me. I do wish it was available in a larger and cheaper quantity size. It's about double my budget (frown). I would rate it between 3 and 4 stars, but here I post a 4 as it's better than a 3 rating. Just typing out this review has made me want large bowl of this now. Slight update 6 months later: I've taken the Frog to 3 stars. It hasn't changed; I have. It is still better than 3 but not up to the 4 rating I have recently given other blends. And on my scale it is not a definite "will buy again" but a 'would buy again'.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Based upon the reviews of others and the accolades I've heard, I really wanted to like this and other blends from McCelland. However, with all due respect, I find that many of the blends I've sampled have tasted bitter and left a ghost in my mouth as though I just took unflavored cough medicine.

cutigers81 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cutigers81 (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Frog was my second blend, after first trying McCranie's McArris, and I really had no idea what to expect. I enjoyed McArris, but somehow I knew I wanted something different.

For those of you who have not been to McCranie's shop, I can tell you that they are huge advocates of McClelland Tobacco Company. I'd guess that 80% of their tins in the shop are McClelland, and from what I understand, their bulk tobacco is made with McClelland tobaccos. So of course Frog Morton is one of the "showcase" tins, sitting front and center on the shelf. The marketing catches my eye and I inquire about this stuff. I don't listen to the description; my mind is already made up. I'm buying a tin.

I knew I was going to love this stuff as soon as I popped the tin. So much flavor, and it burns so cool! "I don't know how to pronounce this 'latakia' stuff, but it is now my new best friend".

I've since tried many English blends, and have found a few I like better than Frog, but this is still deserving of 4 stars in my book.

Update 4-26-2011: I've decided FM just isn't 4 star material after trying so many other tobaccos. Still good, but not worthy of 4 stars.

Dietl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dietl (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Edit: After a long time smoking this blend I had to come back and update my rating for this tobacco. As indicated below, my first impression was less than recommended. However, after smoking this stuff all day in the garage for a year or so, I find that when I want a nice smooth Latakia smoke, I increasingly reach for this. In fact, I realized how much I like it when I realized that I had gone through four 100g tins and panicked when I didn't have any on the shelf.

So, with that in mind, I have to change my rating the Highly Recommended since I "Highly Recommend" any pipe smoker that I know to try it. I just recommend that you give it some time to appreciate it's subtle qualities. Really nice smoke.

My original post:

I just received a can of this last week along with my regular ration of Blackwood's Flake. My benchmark for Latakia's is CAO Old Ironsides, so my review is based upon my comparison to that blend.

Personally, I found this very mild. Nowhere near as rich as OIS. I found that the Latakia taste was there, but with nothing really behind it in the background. I found this to be one of the lightest tasting tobaccos that I think I've ever smoked. During a nice long draw, I got a satisfying taste that seemed to immediately evaporate into nothingness.

I found that it lit well and smoked consistently to the bottom of the bowl. None of the problems some mentioned below.

I was a bit torn between "somewhat recommended" and "recommended" because I think this one really depends upon your tastes. Someone who likes a rich smoke will find it very lacking. Someone who wants a light, delicate taste of Latakia may very well savor it. I think the previous reviews and those in the future will bear this out with dramatically differing ratings.

For my money, I'm sticking with OIS.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)

for a long time this was one of my personal favorites and i still enjoy it but have found that if i am going to purchase a tin tobacco that i prefer something with a little more variation in the smoke, this has flavor, it just remains the same throughout of the bowl. i suspect that the key with this one is whether you are a fan of lots of latakia or not? some have suggested that this has some type of topping, i'm not sure about that, i don't detect much if it's there, i do think the burning smell is a little more tolerable than most blends of this type and even have had some say that it smelled good while i was smoking it. no problems with the packing, lighting, or burning, requires an average number of cleaner passes per bowl. overall, it's good, a big hit with most.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)

This a nice all day tobacco. Burns very well, lots of smoke, and is a pleasure to smoke. The taste seems to amp up a bit somewhere around mid-bowl but remains smooth and friendly throughout. This frog is not a biter.

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Here is a blend that I have returned to over time. First, the Dunhill lacunae need to be filled, and having smoked this in the past, and remembering that I enjoyed it, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Secondly, my wife has recently joined me out on the back porch and we smoke together out there like hillbillies and I thought she would enjoy this blend. Thirdly, I am a major Tolkien nerd. Fourthly, I really love the packaging on this tobacco!

Now to the smoking part. This is a wide cut, black as night latakia blend that burns slowly, incredibly cooly and is fairly light in essence. I have been smoking a clay churchwarden lately and this increases the coolness of the smoke. The room note is wonderful, I love the smell of latakia: to me it is almost like liturgical incense. Wife thinks this is her favorite blend, the perfect combination for her. Me, I like the blend a bunch, but for an everyday smoke need a bit more body. But for the churchwarden with its massive pot(it takes me over an hour to smoke top to bottom) this blend is about perfect.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I've had an interesting history with this blend spanning some ten years. McClelland in general is a fine tosser and so I went to this blend with high expectations. There are times I really enjoy this blend and other times it smells like an old BBQ pit from start to finish. One aspect that I would like to share is that I misplaced a can that I had opened and it remained lidded for six years. When I found it it was dry as a bone so I put a moist cotton-ball in with and checked it a day or so later. The texture was beautiful so I decided to give it a smoke. Lo and behold it was still tasty as ever! I'd like to see a cigarette smoker try that one!

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Having just finished a 2005 tin, FM grew on me over time. Initially, it seemed to be a one note tobacco with that note being Latakia. As I smoked more of it, I came to appreciate its smoking qualities: no bite, easy to keep lit, burning down to a good while ash. The room note is fine. I still don't find it to be particularly complex--but FM has a pleasant mild Latakia note that works for me when I don't want to spend too much concentration on the tobacco while doing something else. Recommended as good but it won't be in my regular rotation.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I have Only been smoking pipes for a year, I have tried many blends, I can honestly say I have found more that I dislike than ones that I do. But I really like FM. I currently have about 16 blends in my rack, and I find myself going back to FM more often. The Latakia is present, and I do like it. Not as abundant as in other brands, Over all its not too complex. It lights easily and stays lit for the most part, and burns down nice and even. I smoke this exclusively in a Peterson Killarney Full Bent, and it does quite well. No Bite, not too hot. I think this could be an everyday smoke.

Happy trails.

kkurilj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kkurilj (2)

Wow! This is my favorite blend it smokes cool for me and has a wonderful taste.

JEM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JEM (21)

This is the first latakia tobacco that I smoked and fell in love with it from the get go. I thought I had arrived. The taste was fantstic, the texture of the smoke was very nice, and it smokes cool. If you like latakia, you have to try this one.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

I like this one quite a bit. Nothing exceptional, just a good all around cross-over blend. It lights wthout too much difficulty, doesn't totally clobber your palate and the room-note is not too overwhelming. I love the marketing on this whole "Frog" series and this is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I won't waste time writing a long review, as much has already been said. I love this stuff. This is my first latakia blend, and it has almost ruined aromatics for me. It has a good sweetness wth plenty of flavour and ZERO bite. A most excellant all day everyday smoke!

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)

This is yet another success by McClelland. They seem to be able to take any mixture and keep it from biting. This is extremely important to me and my smoking tastes. If it bites, even partially, I won't smoke it - period.

The Frog does not bite and has a wonderful spice/incense aroma that is best enjoyed with the the "nasal taste" rather than the tounge.

Latakia takes center stage but doesn't dominate. The virginia compliments well imparting a little "grassyness" though not in an unpleasant way.

This is very similar to Black Watch by ThePiperoom.com, which I similar to the Frog.

The two blends have ever so slight a topping, though Frog's topping is stronger than Black Watch and has more "spice" to it - but I like the spice.

All in all the Frog is a winner. Defintely worth a try for any pipe smoker from aromatic to English fans.

This blend is a modern classic. Well done McClelland

Original review (6-1-07, 3 stars)

Update, 10-18-07, 4 stars !

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This is the first of the FM series that I tried and I found this to be an excellent blend. There is little to no tongue bite and the aroma is very pleasing, even to my wife. This burns down to a nice white ash at the bottom of the bowl and has a very agreeable taste all the way to the finish.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton is one of those blends that sometimes I like and sometimes I don't. It is an excellent choice for an aromatic smoker who wants to explore latakia, but won't readily satisfy a lat-head. I smoke it once in a while but definitely don't worry when I run out.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This was one of my initial entries into latakia. I have since moved on to many others, but I like this blend a lot. It is my 2nd favorite "frog" next to FMATP. I have a tin of FMOTB but have not tried it as yet. I have not tried FMOTT yet either, but I have tried the bulk 5110 and did not really care for it a lot.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)

Hud said: "Cool, smoky, flavorful? Yes" and he is absolutely right. Frog Morton burns nice and cool, and I haven't been able to make it bite yet. I love it! It has a full, yet not strong, flavor that is rich and creamy. I recall it producing volumes of smoke when my tin was new, but I have since let it dry out (I'm not a constant smoker) and the smoke volume has decreased. The most recognizable characteristic of Frog Morton, to me, is the tin aroma, which reminds me of the creosote treated telephone poles planted in my back yard when I was younger.

I love aromatics, but one review at this website suggested I give Frog Morton a try - I'm glad I did. It is quite a nice non-aromatic for those of us aromatic smokers out there. A welcomed change of pace for me.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (24)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

When Frog came out I quickly bought a tin, mainly for the tin art. Once I opened the tin and gave it a test run I was won over. Frog is one of my cycle tobaccos, meaning I'll smoke this for a while and then smoke something else for a while, always keeping some on hand for the swing back. This is a dark tobacco mixture in the tin and comes a little over damp. McClelland has adjusted Frog's humidity downward over time, I find it about right today meaning it comes "fresh" but it still needs a little air out. This is a coarse, soft tobacco, thats easy to load. Light, tamp, relight and be prepared for a smoky room. It is great outdoors. For me the Latakia and Virginia are balanced pretty well. But that means that you have to find some enjoyment in Latakia. For me, the Virginias never dominate the smoke but just seem to keep the smoke balanced and interesting. For me it is lightly tart and a little creamy. The wisps of smoke off the rim have a smell of charred wood which I find enjoyable. I have tried to puff as hard as possible to get a bite from this blend and failed. I tend to smoke Frog in medium sized bowls.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

After my experience with Nightcap by Dunhill, I didn't think I'd find a latakia that I could appreciate. I WAS WRONG! Frog Morton has revived my taste buds. Easy to light and burns so well in almost every pipe I've put it in. And with little to no bite. It has a bold flavor which reminds me of a tea that I love, Lapsang Souchong (a peat-smoked tea), and in fact, they compliment each other nicely. Room note was pretty decent for a latakia (resident room-note expert said it was ok for in-house smoking :-) ). Flavor had a nice consistency from start to finish, which I find to be a little unusual for most tobaccos. I'll get this one again, for sure.

Jazzplayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jazzplayer (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is an exceptional blend! McCelland has created a masterpiece that will leave the connoiseur wanting more. The taste buds are wrapped in a flavor that is velvety with no bite. An excellent starter for a beginner and a caviar for the connoiseur.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (30)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I am a dedicated smoker of the Frog. I use this as my all day smoke. I find that it keeps fresh in its can for long periods. This being the case I keep several cans open wherever I smoke: garage, car, office, rec room, etc. I think the Frog is the perfect blend for me. Taste is very satisfying over the entire day. It is a dark Latakia taste that I enjoy. I never have nicotine problems with the Frog. The tobacco lights well, and stays lit to the bottom of the bowl. This also means that the tobacco smokes dry and has no gurgle. I enjoy some tobaccos that are stronger than Frog, and some that are milder. But I always return to the Frog for real enjoyment. New pipes are always broken in with the Frog as I find that it does not unduly flavor the pipe so as to spoil the pipe for other blends.

Update: 7/25/06. It has been almost 4 years since I posted my notes on the Frog. I still enjoy it very much and fairly often. I continue to try other blends, and from time to time smoke much more of the other blends than I smoke the Frog. But, I always come back to the Frog when I get tired of the others, or when they start to disappoint me. The Frog has become my "old faithful" and when I need to re-adjust my taste in Tobacco, or just sit back and enjoy a smoke, it is time for a Frog. Always satisfying, always a good smoke.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful smoke, my favorite stand by blend. I will always try other tobaccos but Frog Morton will still be there when I need a reliable latakia mixture. In the tin it smells of earthy peat and wood smoke. Highly recommended.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)

This was also my first Latakia and I have enjoyed it since. Its a nice slightly sweet slightly smokey blend that easy to smoke, pack, and keep lit. I tend to prefer this blend in colder weather and will keep it around for the winter. Not that it gets that cold here in S. Florida! But it just doesn't smoke right on 90+ days :)

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Revised 07-16-2005

I recently opened a tin I had stashed away 3 years ago and decided to revisit this "amphibious" blend. My initial impression was that the humectant was very noticable in the tin and also in the first third of the bowl when smoking. I have a soft spot for this blend because it was the first latakia blend I tried after deciding to venture outside the aromatic domain. But, even so, I am afraid I can't seem to enjoy this blend like I used to. The latakia in this blend is of the cyprian variety which is less complex than the syrian type as well as a tad softer and sweeter. The VA in this is of the matured variety which is also not as spicy or bitey as some of the other VA's in the McClelland line-up. Overall this is a Latakia blend with training wheels. I suppose it is a good place to start and may even use this blend as my older son's first pipe when he turns 18. As for myself, the FMAP is now my favorite in the series.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Quite good. Light, flavourful, fresh, this could be a perfect summer smoke. It can seem too moist in the tin but it really isn't. I usually like stronger tobaccos as far as nicotine content, but this is a possible change of pace.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ahh, the original Frog....a joy, smooth, creamy..I dont smoke it all the time. Its not an all day smoke..its for special occasions..like making it through the day. Try it, try it, try it....

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First encountered this blend from a stranger on a lone path in the northern part of the midwest. A quiet fellow, he didn't say much, but the aroma coming from his pipe said enough. He offered me a bowl and one for the road, and I searched for a tin immediately upon arriving at my destination four days later. A homegrown vintage of delicious Virginia leaf varieties mixed with Latakias that can't be beat. The texture may seem a little moist, but it burns well. Somehow, this mixture retains its perfect moisture level for long periods of time. Though it may not be the absolute best Latakia blend, it is in my top five based on the cost to quality ratio of this fine tobacco.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't usually like light english blends: even when I would like an all day latakia mixture, I really can't stand those mild products with little latakia, lots of cavendish and little taste. I find stuff like Old Dublin, Celebrated Sovereign and Highland Targe extremely boring, and I downright despise these blends. You can understand how my hopes for Frog Morton were extremely low... and that's where I was pleasantly surprised! I won't digress long on the characteristics of this blend, as many other reviews here pointed them out precisely. The only difference is that I don't find it exceedingly moist. As soon as you light it up, you are welcomed by a thick smoke which nonetheless is not overwhelming, and has a rich velvety, creamy, quality. The Latakia is clearly present, but nicely rounded and integrated into the other ingredients in a perfect whole. You can feel its smokiness, but wrapped in a soft sweetness that never fails to caress tongue and palate. Sometimes you can almost feel chocolate notes, and a refreshing effect: I doubt there is menthol as someone hinted, anyway. Surely a merit of the processing (stoving?) more than of the ingredients or flavoring agents. You can hardly feel a harsh note, something that goes out of the chorus: it is a truly beautifully integrated whole. Sometimes you can get the impression that it lacks in body (especially in some pipes, even from the same brand: I have smoked it in three Dunhills from different years, one Savinelli and one Castello, and the taste was best in a Dunhill bruyere from the early '80s). It does indeed, but the taste is nice nonetheless. It is somewhat reminiscent of the orange-topped Ashton Type 2 in cut and flavor, but better. As an all-day smoke, it doesn't tire the mouth and never cloys, yet providing more satisfaction than I can get from other lighter latakia mixtures: it won't become anyway an all-day, every-day blend for me. That's because it does become very soon boring (and the initial impression of sweetness is reduced once you get used to it) if not alternated with some stronger/different blends (and it certainly won't replace the equally sweet but tastier Mephisto or London Mixture in my rotation). Anyway, it's what actually comes closer to my idea of a fine lighter latakia mixture, and to be honest I finished my tin in a matter of few days!

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I think pipestud's description works for me. This is not my cup of tea, but it certainly seems to be very popular.

Have you ever noticed that this tobacco never dries out? I wonder why that is?

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is one of those "love/hate" blends.

One thing I'll say about the Frog is that I cannot ever get it to bite my tongue, no matter how hard I puff on it.

Whomever called this a pressed flake is way off.... The closest thing to Frog in bulk is Lane's HGL.

Lots of latakia here with (what I taste to be) a molasses type flavoring.

If you have a friend that smokes Captain Black who wants a good introduction to English Style blends then the Frog is for them.

I'd never hesitate to smoke this tobacco because it has body, it's creamy and smokes well all the way down. Is it for a purist? Probably NOT.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I understand that every tabac manufacturer seems to feel obligated to offer some type of crossover blend in order to win new fans or entreat those back who may have moved on. Frog Morton is one of those blends. It is, in a word, singular, most unrelentingly so. I have heard it being compared to blending latakia, which is not far off. It doesn't bite, it stays lit(once suitably dried) and its aroma is mild and pleasant, even to those who are non-smokers. Yet, it is so one-dimensional that after a few bowls, my patience ceases and I desire something with more panache, strength or just plain "anything" to grab my attentions. Really, this could be called "Latakia Lite", or a "Diet Tobacco", as LSS says. NB-after all the above, I still smoke this occasionally.

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I finally got around to trying this famous blend, and wow, what a treat! It truly deserves the mantle of "ALL Day English" more than any other blend. Although I usually keep 965 around as my all day blend, this may very well replace it. Although not a terribly complex smoke, this helps to make it an all day-er, since I leave that to Penzance or Nightcap. During the day I want a tasty, full-flavored blend that I don't have to concentrate on. This stuff has full flavor in spades! It has rich creamy smoke with a sweet smokiness that never develops into anything else but goodness. In fact if you sat down and really tried to concentrate on it, you would probably tire of it quickly. It is extremely forgiving as well- never any tongue bite no matter how preoccupied you get and forget good smoke technique. This also makes it a great smoke to recommend to newbies who want to start getting into english blends. An instant Classic in my book!

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (20)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I saw this a couple years back at a tobacconist and thought, isn't that a cute can - the frog in a smoking jacket, vest, and bow time smoking.

I just had to get some. A couple tins later, and the tin is still cute. The tobacco in the can is an entirely different matter. I usually pour the contents out on wax paper to sit overnight to help remove some of the moisture content - as I do with all the McClelland tinned blends I buy. This seems to give it a fairly smokable state. Then I return it to the tin. I returned to this tin, opened 12/00 after not having a bowl of it since opening it then. In the tin, it is predominantly black with some dark and light brown strips for highlights - a short cavendish cut. The aroma is predominantly Latakia with a hint of sweetness - oh yeah, and the distinctive tinned McClelland Worchestershire/Ketchup smell.

It packs well, and takes to match quickly. I like this because it is predictable - sweet, smoky, Latakia. There are also the underlying hints of Virginias throughout. It has the flavors of a fuller bodied Latakia blend, but has none of the heaviness. It is light and effervescent - very enjoyable. Some have said that it is cased, if so, it doesn't give that appearance to me. Yes, it has that nutty sweet flavor, but it is just well aged unsweetened brown Cavendish, Virginia and Latakia. You can tell this has been aged for a bit to get the smooth, rounded flavors that flow together so well on the palate. For some reason, it is also not as offensive as some Latakia blends can be to the bystander. This is wonderful middle of the road Latakia blend, it makes one feel comfortable.