A smooth, medium mixture of Black Cavendsh and Virginia tobaccos enhanced by the rich fragrance of dark chocolate and mellow Colombian coffee beans.

Blended ByMcClelland
Taste
2.2
bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (43)

Tastey little Aro...However, may be a bit too tastey...Mocha flavoring, which I like, tends to overwhelm the Virginias...Needs to be toned down and evened out...Maybe needs a bit more Cavendish and/or Stoved Virginia.

Pipe Used: Various during testing

Burn = 7

After Taste = 1

Raw Score = 29

Rated Percentage = 48%

Comment = Strange Flavor, but no coffee or chocolate Flavor at all, Burns Hot, a lot of After Taste, this blend is terrible, yuck

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of my favorite tobaccos. Great with a cup of coffee. When I exhale through my nose I can really sense the mocha flavor. I smoke this at a local cigar bar and the room note always gets favorable comments from others. I suggest dedicating one pipe just to this blend. Reasonably priced online through Cup'O Joe's. My only gripe: it contains a lot of stems.

Good1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Good1 (6)

At first I tasted the coffee but on down the bowl it turned, it had the taste like grandma's musky perfume. The taste isn't all bad. Just not the coffee/chocolate taste I was expecting. I have had a time keeping it lit. I think I'll let it dry some to see if it helps it burn. On other flavored tobaccos I've let dry I also lost the flavor.

After letting it dry a bit it burned better and lost the perfume taste. It still has a spicy taste.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

A very nice steamed black cavendish. Quite enjoyed it, definitely can taste the mocha while smoking. Pleasant, well behaved smoke. Will be adding this to my regular rotation. A nice smoke for new pipe smokers for sure.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (21)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The "tin" note is very nice, a combo of fruity bread and cocoa. Lights easily and stays lit. Moisture-wise it does seem to be a bit gurgly. While smoking the coffee flavors come out on top of chocolate-covered toast.

This strikes me as a not-to-challenging yet pleasant smoke. Nothin' wrong with that!

Update - I'm almost done with my initial two ounces and while the tobacco feels properly dried it still gurgles like hell. Not recommended.

steven109 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steven109 (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

most people dont like this blend but this is the one that really got me into pipe smoking. its pretty mild and leaves a great room note, just perfect if your just getting started. after 2 years of pipe smoking its still one of my favorite blends

Duncan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duncan (3)

Go this as a free sample, and it has found a home in the rotation somewhat. As others have said it is a goopy mess and does not dry out well at all. The key to this is the roomnote. This will be added for the occasions that Non smokers are around and I do not want to offend with a pungent odor. Roomnote will tame even the most savage Anti.

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Listen, if you bought Mocha, thats what you'll get. The name, the pouch aroma, the room note, and the taste, are all the same. Mocha! If you like Mocha, you will like this. If you don't, you won't. I like it, but not necessarily for every day or all day. It is sweet, but not as sweet as so many vanilla blends I have tried. It burns well, and if you smoke properly it should not bite. While I like the mocha taste (thats why I tried this) I recognize this is not a real premium smoke. There are those who would argue that no aromatic is a premium smoke. For the aromatic smoker there should me room for this blend in the mix. The very end of the bowl was a little stale in that it seemed to loose its flavor and mildness. This really should not be a problem unless you are breaking in a new pipe and need to smoke it down to the bitter end. Just enjoy this for what it is: A sweet, tasty, aromatic that won't bite your tongue off.

CaptinBlackLung Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptinBlackLung (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

A good smoke but it gets old fast, the Mocha is definately there just to much there. I agree the it is a bit synthetic in taste, but not like the Captain Black Playdoe taste. I like the Black cavadish in this blend could use more cavadish and less mocha, In my opinion, then again I really liked good old lane limited Bulk Black Cav. Room note good smells great smoke taste just not as good as the smell.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this a day after I had smoked some Captain Black White. CBW had more character than this blend. It just smells good with out smoking it. But when smoked, it has a weird synthetic taste to it. Aromatics should taste like nothing or have a slight PLEASANT aftertaste...not a weird plasticky/synthetic taste.

Benjamin Button Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin Button (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Ok, so the Columbian Mocha was kind of a bust for me. I smoked it for about 5 minutes before dumping the bowl. There was already a puddle forming in the bottom of my briar after that short period of time! I may have to scrap this blend or mix it with something else that smokes drier. I'm not sure if I will put in the effort though. Maybe I'll try to dry it over night and see what happens.

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable

Just like what the name told: MOCHA. Fill in a lager pipe and don't make it too tigh, the flavor would be lot more better.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

In the end coffee must be drunk and tobacco must be smoked. I love a cup of Greek coffee. I also enjoy a bowl full of tobacco in the morning.

After smoking this tobacco I have decided that I will never spill my coffee in my pipe and I will not boil my tobacco to make coffee. It also burnt my tongue.

Good effort by McClelland, but when I finished smoking the bottom of my pipe looked like the bottom of a cup with Greek coffee. Not a pretty picture.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I must agree with most of Briarabbit's review of this blend. I wish I could meet him, but I don't know who he is. We live in the same town apparently and visit the same pipe shop.

This blend has a great but strong bag aroma. The tobacco comes extremely moist and absolutely will not dry out. The flavor of the topping comes through in the smoke and tastes good. At first I really liked this blend and thought I had found a regular daily smoke. I like coffee and I like chocolate, so I had found the best of all worlds. Unfortunately, the more I smoked the less fond of this blend I became. The taste is good, the aroma is good, but the wetness and goopiness of the blend when smoked is not good. If you like aromatics and coffee this might be worth a try if you've never smoked it, you might very well like it. If you try it I would suggest a corn cob pipe because just as the esteemed Pipestud said in his review, this blend will leave a coffee/coconut sludge in the bottom of your pipe. To me, the dottle resembles a melted coconut haystack candy that I remember my grandparents always having on hand when I was a youngster. Two stars for Columbian Mocha.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Being an English smoker I tend to bash most aromatics I try, but this one is one of my guilty pleasures. The bag smells of coffee and surprisingly chocolate, its kinda like smoking a latte from Starbucks without the caffeine. It is a big thick at the bottom of the bowl and does require a bit of attention while smoking, but overall it is a fun change of pace.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

A nice aromatic. Not as sickly as I might have expected. I smoke both aromatic and non. Though it is cased and has plenty of PEG, not too goopy in the bowl and burns well if aired out and aged a bit. Nice change of pace if you're in company and are prudently keeping your latakia's in the cellar. There is too much tobacco to try out there to buy this again, but it may be your thing if you're a coffee lover or need a smoke for acceptance of bystanders.

Joseph Durham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph Durham (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was a little hesitant trying an aromatic of this kind, but forced myself into it. I drink about 3-4 large cups of coffee on a daily basis. When one opens the bad of tobacco you can easily smell coffee. If you purchase this blend from an online retailer, as you open the box that it arrives in, the coffee aroma will hit you right in the face. It?s not strong, it?s just right.

I will admit that this blend is extremely moist. I used several different techniques to dry it out, but I just can?t seem to get it right. However, I grabbed a corn cob tester and loaded my pipe. The tobacco is pre-rubbed, and isn?t hard to load. Tamp the tobacco at 3 stages as we were taught some time ago. Then light, take a mild puff, and continue. Let the tobacco burn out, it won?t take long. Then, relight after tamping.

Several people have said that it?s near impossible to keep your bowl lit while smoking Columbian Mocha. I disagree. After the ?starter light?, I needed to relight only once. I used a very large bowl, and smoked softly. The tobacco being so moist really had no affect on the smoke that I found.

If you like coffee as much as I do, you will love smoking it. #710 Columbian Mocha is a wonderful aromatic blend. There is no ?ketchup? odor as one usually receives from McClelland blends. It?s just coffee all the way around. Try smoking it in a room full of people and watch them all smile. Everyone will enjoy the aroma, as you enjoy your bowl.

I tried this blend believing that I would regret it, but the tobacco won. This will have to be bought several more times, and smoked throughout my pipe days. I recommend that everyone try this blend whether you like aromatics or not.

Here is another keeper!!!

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

What can I say? This is my sweet tooth weekness. I generally do not like heavily sweet aromatics, but I've given in to this one. Good quality tobaccos are used, even though it's hard to taste beyond all the cocoa. I like it anyway.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Ok I'm the odd guy here who liked this. I really like this a lot! ( see update) I just got back from my favorite Tobacconist in Jackson,Tennessee at "Ye Ole Pipe Shoppe",and he had just got some in from McC. It's high quality leaf in ribbon cut,with dark cavendish,and bright Virginias laced with good coffee and good Chocolate flavour. I smoked this in a small bowl Canadian that I reserve for aromatics. The blend was silky smooth,lightly sweet but not too sweet,and the aroma and taste of the Coffee was great,and I don't even like aromatics.

Update------- (gee wiz I hate having to agree with pipestud) haha,-but this blend was on the goopy and wet side. The aromatics in the tobacco seem to seep out like a ghost and make anything thats close to it smell like it.Yes, even sealed in the bag, it comes out and will contaminate any tobacco near it.It does taste good,but so does a cup of coffee.Maybe thats what I really wanted when I smoked this...a cup of coffee.In my opinion,a good blend as far as aromatics go.

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Wow! This is the goopiest tobacco I've ever tried. And this is a shame because 710 had the potential to be a good tobacco.

I remember the taste as being nice, but I couldn't really taste any coffee flavoring. I probably would've noticed the coffee taste if I had smoked more than one bowl of this stuff. As for the smoking characteristics, this tobacco seemed to have a nice, even burn. Also, there was no tongue bite.

Now for the cons of this tobacco...

After a pleasant first bowl, I was horrified when I looked at the bottom of my pipe. There was a PUDDLE of goop at the bottom of the bowl--and that's no exaggeration. As an aromatic smoker, I expect a little moisture in the bowl, but this was absolutely disgusting. This tobacco stayed dark & moist for as long as I had it. When I finally dumped it, I noticed that the little clear plastic baggy it came in was actually stained yellow with goop. This would be a nice tobacco if it wasn't sopping wet with humectants.

Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I do love a strong cup of coffee in the mornings. I also enjoy a strong bowl of tobacco in the mornings. After smoking a bowl of this concoction I have determined that I will never pour coffee in my pipe and I will not brew tobacco in my coffee pot.

McClelland's attempt here was admirable, but once I finished the load, the bottom of the bowl of my nice briar looked like coffee coconut sludge. Not a pretty sight. Hmmm, I think I've just described this tobacco's taste too.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Strong

I recently tried this tobacco in a experiment to remind myself of why a world class blender like McClelland can't make a decent American style aromatic to save their ass!

It's quite a shame, as this tobacco actually taste pretty good, but is absolutely ruined by the overwhelming use of poly-glycols as a preservative. The burn is cool and flavorful, but fouls the pipe in a pool of wet dottle. Drying doesn't help! You can leave this stuff on your kitchen counter for a week and it still wouldn't dry out enough to consider keeping.

Needless to say, this tobacco is for newbies only and I wouldn't recommend it at all, because there are much better tobaccos out there that aren't so chemical laden. This review is harsh - but then again this is rubbish.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (31)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

well definately very mocha a kind of captain black of the McClelland brand with lots of PG and the usual bitter harsh and soggy bottom and well...the drugstore tobacco problems. Not bad if you go for that stuff so if you like Captain black and want it in mocha then go for it or you might find some use for it but I will stick to sunset breaze in the aromatics of at least blue note. I had to clear my pipe out with several bowls of some Arcadia to burn out the PG. I should have tried it in a corn cob first.

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Strong

I desparately wanted to like this. I love aromatics and love coffee. I have been looking for a coffe flavoured pipe tobacco for some time. When I took a whiff of this, I thought I had found it!

The aroma in the jar smells like you could pour some hot water over it and make a good cup of coffee. As others have mentioned, this is soaking wet with PG. Drying will not happen in our lifetime, so I decided to let it sit out for a day and see if it could be smoked (that coffee smell was beckoning me constantly.)

Once you get it lit, that first blast is definitely coffee! There is a background note that I can't quite put my finger on. No one has been able to tell me what happens to PG when it burns, maybe it does impart some unfortunate flavour when used in this quantity?!

As you work through the bowl (and it is work), keep your lighter handy! It is very stubborn about going out!

Did I enjoy this tobacco? Not a lot (sigh). I really did want to like it. I eventually mixed it 50-50 with some Peterson's Irish Oak. I did make for a more interesting smoke, but I probably won't buy any more of the Columbian Mocha.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Being a McC. blend I really wanted to like this tobacco, and I did for a while. When I first discovered it, the tobacco had been tinned and given another name. I liked it enough that I purchased a 3-pack. I liked the taste, the aroma in the tin as well as the room, the tobaccos used and hey, it was McClelland, right? But, like hornsmoker said, this stuff just wouldn't dry out at all. I'm glad I only used a couple of pipes to smoke it in, because the "task" of smoking to the bottom of the bowl became to much to bear. I used the open tin on the coffe table as a potpourri (gotta try something) and that poly-glycol just held on and held on. It really is sad, I feel this blend had potential. IMHO it's better than some drug store blends, it did burn fairly well, and I do know 1 or 2 guys who smoke(d) it all the time, but I doubt that I will. That BITTER taste nearing the bottom of the bowl is to nasty to deal with. McC blends are a big part of my tobak cache, but not this one. Anyone want the unopened tins let me know, they're good and aged.